Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 9963 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2016, 13:57 eRe4s3r

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 11:14:
Wow, lost for words...the logic of your average redneck redditor is astonishing: some journos fall for a trollbait = WE WUZ RITE BOUT TEH #GG GUISE!!!111!

*facepalm*...also, HL3 confirmed.

So you don't consider fact checking (that takes like, 5 minutes for this) kinda important for news sites ?

Article is beating that dead horse though, true Doesn't make it any less valid.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2016, 05:22 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Apr 24, 2016, 19:46:
And my friends who read the books are the most adamant about not watching, as they basically hate it.

Well yeah. They know they will never to finish the story, unlike the TV watchers.

Very true Also it's even more relevant because the show is, by far, the best fantasy TV series ever made. If someone hates this show then it is for many things, but not because it exists when the books do too ,)

And having read and watched this, books and show are imo 2 different paths of entertainment...

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Apr 24, 2016, 15:00 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 16:30:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 15:27:
Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 14:21:
A bit late, but in a moment of weakness I bought Star Wars: Battlefront. So what the hell, I decided to do this quick review.

If ya want add me on Origin, I'm looking to do the co-op missions with someone and sadly you can only invite friends.
CptRanger

Will do!

Well it was clear from the beta ,) Good review

News Comments > Steamship - Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
5. Re: Steamship - Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Apr 22, 2016, 09:12 eRe4s3r

According to the steam forums it seems prone to crashes and is extremely buggy ~.~

Sigh...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2016, 05:27 eRe4s3r

I'm avoiding JAVA like the cholera...

Thankfully most open source things realized that Java is not a base you should use

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 21, 2016, 00:03 eRe4s3r

Imagine that bad day, only 500 times worse, and it ain't caused by your feelings but by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Which is why depression is a real illness that needs treatment, it is not something you can (usually) just ignore and live with.

What you write is part of the reason why depression is such a taboo topic. Too many old people have no clue that depression is not something made up out of nowhere, but a real brain illness that can quite literally (make you) kill you.

I don't have it, so all I can do is maybe give you an example to realize how these people feel. Can you remember the last time something REALLY bad happened to you? Do you remember that feeling of existential dread? That is kinda what these people feel, every second of the day, in various degrees of strength. You can live with that because you felt it once in your life for a few hours, they LIVE with that feeling constantly, it is an always existing nightmare on every thought, on every mood.

I hope this answers your "wondering"

TL;DR
Depression needs medical treatment and making this illness a taboo is pushing more and more people away from that treatment.

News Comments > The Technomancer in June
4. Re: The Technomancer in June Apr 20, 2016, 23:35 eRe4s3r

Looks actually a lot tamer than Mars Log War.. or War Log Mars? Something like that...

should probably play it again ;p

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 20, 2016, 06:00 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 22:37:
Intel could have a lot more money if they could figure out how to make a much faster processor in the $300 range. Static over here. It's not like we don't want to buy, you just aren't giving us a reason. Are we at the end?

It seems we actually are at the end of the what performance we can expect out of a single core... this, or Intel has serious FAB issues.

It's also interesting because the DX12 Intel performance scaling test shows that DX12 properly done allows for a huge performance gain depending on how many cores you have (up to a performance ceiling dictated, currently, by the GPU/driver)

This means single cpu core performance level is actually the PRIMARY ISSUE of low FPS for games running on anything lower than DX12, and I assume properly done Vulkan will show the same patterns.

This means the only way is the way to many cores, 128 or 256 cores, and this will also mean that single core performance for older non-threadable applications will be downright horrible.

So what is a CPU maker to do? Either more cores or more efficiency, but it seems they can't make more efficient and more cores with faster single core performance...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 20, 2016, 05:50 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 20, 2016, 02:23:
What drives a world-class eSports competitor?

His mother

What if she is a professional rally driver? ^^

News Comments > Mafia III in October
19. Re: Mafia III in October Apr 19, 2016, 13:30 eRe4s3r

Exactly, if you don't like season passes then don't buy them and especially for a game like this... exclusive vehicles and weapons for pre-order are far worse.

btw, this is the first time I ever heard the term "black mob" is this going to be more a crime fantasy game then? I mean sure there were gangs, but a black mob?

Not even sure what this has to do with Mafia... aside that Mafia is the apparent enemy, but why call the game Mafia when we are not playing as the Mafia..... I am confused

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2016, 13:44.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 19, 2016, 12:59 eRe4s3r

I still can't get over the fact that Overwatch is a 60$ / 40$ "buy it once" kind of game

It's not that I don't appreciate a buy once and get updates forever deal.. I just don't see where Blizzard sees a market for this as this game seems to be in such a weird undecided spot gameplay wise. I for example want a decent competitive skill based shooter, but is this is really that? It seemed more like a TF2 clone from the videos... (I disliked TF2..)

OpenBeta on 5th May better be polished and fun as hell, since that is the only chance Blizzard has to sell this game to any tangible customer base for this price (40$.......................)

News Comments > Dark Souls III Sales Record
5. Re: Dark Souls III Sales Record Apr 18, 2016, 12:04 eRe4s3r

What if someone skipped DS1 and DS2 because of you know.. fucking horrible ports? Worth to play?  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 17, 2016, 23:44 eRe4s3r

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 15:53:
Of course it was a hoax. The story was ridiculous.

Nice I even fell for it.

Lesson here, don't trust any news.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 12:27 eRe4s3r

Apparently he never found out how to be even crap at it, considering he made exactly ZERO games.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 17:35 eRe4s3r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 12:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 01:31:
If the backup was done via compressed snapshots recovery of that backup is extremely simple and actually so simple you can do it yourself. Considering he got his files back, I assume his backup was a compressed snapshot archive of the hosted server directories on external drives.

What you forgot is that when you backup website stuff, you probably wanna compress that crap (html/xml compresses really well), take a snapshot and put it in clean labeled directories on some external drive and then you don't need to recover more than -1- file, the snapshot of that day, and even if that fails, you go back your sequential order (since new directory puts clear boundaries between data) until you get a recoverable snapshot archive

And maybe he even used a proper compression format that has built in redundancy and set it to a properly high value so even partial recovery would still give him all his data.

Point being, if you backup properly rm -rf is not gonna scare you.

According to that reddit thread he got his data back btw

Glad to hear he got his data back. At least as initially described however, he had his external backup drives mounted locally on the file system over the network (WTF?), and so they were subject to the unintended rm -rf /. Even if there was some other backup in place that he was able to turn to, the guy sounds massively incompetent as a system admin, and I say that as someone who is by no means a Linux sysadmin wizard, but who at least has heard of fucking rsync. (Sorry, I still can't get over mounting your external back system in the local file system.)

The joke is had he used rsync and properly configured it, he probably also would have given rsync the exclusive write permission for the backup shares... preventing all of this (and more .> cryptoworms pwning everything including the backup NAS)

In the age of cryptworms even I in my home network am thinking of locking down write permissions and access settings way harder... the backup directory for example isn't mounted (nor visible in network overview) unless I am doing a backup.

And unlike rm -rf, properly written cryptoworm IS permanent and has potential to ruin you entirely if you are not doing things by the book.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 01:31 eRe4s3r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 22:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 19:13:
Someone who doesn't know that rm -rf does not in fact delete anything should probably not be the guy you go to to host a website.

It's like thinking just hitting DEL on your keyboard makes a file disappear forever.

Huh? In nearly every flavor of Unix/Linux of which I'm aware, rm is pretty permanent. The bits are still on the storage device -- at least until overwritten by file I/O operations -- but any file system reference to them are lost. Recovery would depend upon immediately powering down and disconnecting the storage devices in question, to prevent the bits from being overwritten, and then calling in some very expensive data recovery experts to try to reconstruct files from the raw bit sequences still in the storage device. The likelihood of recovery is very, very low. It would be like cat-ing together a series of compiled object files, removing lines at random, and then trying to reconstruct the original uncompiled source files from the resulting mess: you might get something of the original (most of the data is still there, albeit in unintelligible form), but it sure isn't likely.

If the backup was done via compressed snapshots recovery of that backup is extremely simple and actually so simple you can do it yourself. Considering he got his files back, I assume his backup was a compressed snapshot archive of the hosted server directories on external drives.

What you forgot is that when you backup website stuff, you probably wanna compress that crap (html/xml compresses really well), take a snapshot and put it in clean labeled directories on some external drive and then you don't need to recover more than -1- file, the snapshot of that day, and even if that fails, you go back your sequential order (since new directory puts clear boundaries between data) until you get a recoverable snapshot archive

And maybe he even used a proper compression format that has built in redundancy and set it to a properly high value so even partial recovery would still give him all his data.

Point being, if you backup properly rm -rf is not gonna scare you.

According to that reddit thread he got his data back btw

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 14, 2016, 19:13 eRe4s3r

Someone who doesn't know that rm -rf does not in fact delete anything should probably not be the guy you go to to host a website.

It's like thinking just hitting DEL on your keyboard makes a file disappear forever.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX on PC
20. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 16:04 eRe4s3r

Bodolza wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 15:16:
Anyone know if this plays okay with just a keyboard? Going on a trip, and I'm looking for something that will work well on a laptop.

It runs fine with KB/M

News Comments > Rockstar North Lawsuit
12. Re: Rockstar North Lawsuit Apr 14, 2016, 13:59 eRe4s3r

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 05:50:
nin wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 20:41:
Somehow I'm going to find a way to blame this for the lack of GTA 5 SP DLC!

gta-onlines-shark-cards-have-made-500000000
"Have you wondered why GTA V doesnít seem to be getting any single player DLC, despite it being teased, hinted at and even promised a few years ago? It would seem the answer is simple: thereís absolutely no point, at least not from a financial perspective.

In an ongoing legal battle between Rockstar and a former producer, it has been noted that Rockstar and its parent company Take-Two have raked in at least $500,000,000 from GTA Online, so that doesnít even include the initial purchase cost of the base game. Jesus. H. Christ.

Shark Cards have been mocked and ridiculed since they were first introduced as micro-transactions in GTA Online, but it looks like theyíre actually working and whoever came up with idea is due a nice big bonus at some point. Itís still possible that thereís some single player DLC in the works, but at the moment itís not looking all that likely, especially when Rockstar is doing a better job in the credit game than some actual creditors."

Yeah, well, welcome to the New Online World Order.

Continuing in that article...

"itís been stated in the court documents that GTA V as a whole has generated $3,000,000,000 since its release. "

That is insane indeed. 3 billion $ for GTA 5 .. holy crap. And I even bought it too +.+ Need to reconfigure my anti-sheeple script or something.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX on PC
7. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 12:54 eRe4s3r

Well I never played it and many people say it was substantially the best FF game... we'll see.  

9963 Comments. 499 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo