Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10297 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
14. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 1, 2016, 13:21 eRe4s3r

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 02:38:
descender wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 01:45:
This can't be done with the chip cards.

Chiped cards can be cloned already, and there's enough problems that MiTM attacks can do everything needed to get all the data. The only thing that they might lack is the card's pin and expiry date. And in some of those cases you don't even need the pin, the exp date is enough.

From a security standpoint of old magstripe vs emv cards. EMV is the better choice since the barrier of entry for skimmers to get into this is much higher. On the other side, another 5 years you're likely going to see them looking at another countermeasure system. That's not even touching that the old magstrip skimmers still work on those new cards because they still encode everything on there as a fallback if the emv system fails.

The real problem with the US implementation vs everywhere else is they dumped pin's and went to digital signatures. Why? Who the fuck knows.

Don't forget that the technology is already decades old in Europe, we already had chip skimmers/cloners and MitM attacks for chipped cards. Though the pin has to be captured via camera or fake keypad otherwise the card clone is totally useless.

Not seeing any future technology coming in this aspect of payment here... and here we can even withdraw money within a store.. so you pay 200 for a 16 purchase and you get paid out 184 in cash ;p Saves you walking to an atm... and the store devices are usually skimmer free, as employees are usually monthly trained to detect all kind of new skimmers. While ATM's are never properly controlled thanks to banks putting them outside of the secured areas of their buildings (although that is stopping now)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 1, 2016, 12:27 eRe4s3r

That explains why NVIDIA cards are more power efficient...  

News Comments > Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled
3. Re: Galaxy in Turmoil Cancelled Aug 1, 2016, 10:22 eRe4s3r

nin wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 09:56:
I'm still amazed they made it to steam...

Called it back then, no way this was gonna work out

Steam TOS even forbids such projects

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 31, 2016, 17:11 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 16:29:
Last I heard, some guy was claiming it was going to "revolutionize gaming" and change it forever. Haha. Seriously. It looks so boring. It's the same minecrafty grindy stuff every other game has been putting in. So there aren't any invisible walls.. does that really mean everything out there will be worth exploring?

Maybe it will be moddable.. that would be the defining thing for this... but seeing as it has some nonsensensical forced online component I doubt it.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 31, 2016, 14:56 eRe4s3r

This chip card thing is kinda hilarious from an European point of view.. and even more so for a German... I've had an EC card with chip for a decade now...  

News Comments > Super Kaiju Early Access [Update 2]
5. Re: Super Kaiju Early Access [Updated] Jul 31, 2016, 12:28 eRe4s3r

Blue wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 12:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 11:31:
on Steam page it clearly only supports the Vive..

This has changed since this story was posted. The game went up with logos for both Rift and Vive.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/462520/discussions/0/360670708790154105

Ah

News Comments > Super Kaiju Early Access [Update 2]
3. Re: Super Kaiju Early Access [Updated] Jul 31, 2016, 11:31 eRe4s3r

on Steam page it clearly only supports the Vive..  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2016, 20:47 eRe4s3r

Baristan wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 17:54:
runnerct32 wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 12:00:
My wife's Windows 7 laptop will not update. Im gonna try these fixes, thanks guys.

Good luck. I'm 50-50 with fixing broken windows 7 update. Often only a reinstall fixes it.

Never had a problem with Win7 until the push to Win10 started. The April 2016 spyware update crashed one computers win-update, and I've been having problems with win-update on vista-10 installs ever since.

If you have broken WU, you need to get WSUS Offline (google that) and let it download all needed patches and apply them... It takes a while, but once done you have an offline storage of all updates. Great thing to put on a backup USB drive and have it attached when you reinstall Windows so you can update literally offline.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
6. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 30, 2016, 16:17 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 14:10:
It's not friends who are the problem, it's the people who don't realise that you're a human being with feelings and stuff.

But that isn't ageism of the internet.. that's assholes in real life being assholes on the internet. They are the VAST minority but a very loud one on Twitch/Youtube. Which is why comments on youtube should be disabled, and on twitch community moderators should ban everyone that goes too far. Because nobody should accept abuse, people responsible should be banned and problem solved.

What you have to realize is this.. she basically says that (some) people are assholes on the internet. To us, that's typical old-person-just-discovered-the-internet-isn't-always-nice stuff. I mean that in the sense of "water is wet" or "fire is hot"

And really, if we were in her shoes, would we even talk to Huffington Post about something like that? (No, we wouldn't.. as we know what the Streisand Effect is...).... Or would we DO something about it ourselves, hire community people that enjoy keeping the channel clean, disable comments on youtube and so on.

Well, and we have argumentative practice being on Bluesnews and all ;p I personally welcome any older person that enjoys gaming. This.. indeed *my* hobby can only improve with more diversity in age and gender. And hey, my old WoW clan leader was in his late 50ies.. so whatever. Nobody in the clan cared much, instead we had much more respect, and he seemed happy to found a group that, basically, didn't care about anything personal related to him.

So anyway.. I think old people should enjoy gaming, and if they are on youtube/twitch, employ basic common sense... and heavy moderation. Not because of their age or gender, but because that is COMMON SENSE ;p

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 30, 2016, 11:04 eRe4s3r

Actually she makes a great case.. because she seems to think youtube is the internet ;p

When in reality, nobody in a game cares how old you are, unless you are younger than 13 and playing BF4.......

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2016, 10:50 eRe4s3r

Yeah, Windows updates slowdown issue, stuck at 0% or 99%.. well known problems.. had to use WSUSOFFLINE to fix this half a dozen times... I don't think it is intentional by MS, just extremely shitty coding of windows update.  

News Comments > BioWare Forums Closing
5. Re: BioWare Forums Closing Jul 29, 2016, 21:09 eRe4s3r

So tech support and bug reports now run over Twitter? LMAO

What a joke.. but not the good kind.

I guess as was already said, they now wanna push this job off to volunteer mods on Reddit...

News Comments > EF-12- Fighting Game Maker Released
4. Re: EF-12- Fighting Game Maker Released Jul 29, 2016, 19:20 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 18:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 14:57:
2 potential issues:

1. Everyone makes a fighting dong game.

2. People use copyrighted IP to make characters.

Thats the idea though..

This is the Tekken version of MUGEN. The whole idea behind these fighting game creators is to import copyrighted IP and have them fight eachother. This game will have every 3d fighting game character out there imported to it, as well as 3d models from other games and 2d->3d conversions.

Check out saltybet.com to see how MUGEN culminated. It really is quite the spectacle.. and this is looking to do the same thing, except with a base engine that is most like Tekken instead of traditional 2d sprite-based fighters.

That is strangely addictive to watch...

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Trailer
14. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Trailer Jul 29, 2016, 19:00 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 18:36:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 17:37:
I would not call putting in a female farmer skin a feature. They could easily model and patch that into previous 2-3 farming sim games.

You could say the same for pretty much any addition in annual iteration simulations.

Still wish someone would merge Spintires with this one... as it stands, it is really more a plastic lego world than anything else, and this is sadly a trend with these annual simulators Farming just doesn't feel right when all you do is basically change the field textures with your work steps.

Also it kinda bothers me mono-culture isn't punished by decreasing yields and increasing diseases. This game really shows only the "teen" rated side of farming.. if one can call it that. I get why they do it, but something in me craves for a *real* simulation with all the ugly and complex parts of farming. Mainly because it would be highly educational, and for joke, the start scenario starts you with nothing, you start your farm in-doors with aquarium sized modern growth equipment and expand from there, to a fully robot run farm ;p

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Into the Black Jul 29, 2016, 10:20 eRe4s3r

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 08:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 08:28:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 21:03:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 20:33:
thank you for that !!!

Ditto, was running old version here too apparently.

Well you guys are welcome Had to fix this on 3 PC's... so yeah. Ever since they released version 4 everyone on Version 3 was stuck there apparently, never receiving updates. What a giant (security) pitfall....

Yeah as soon as I read your post I updated several PC's. I'm usually OCD of keeping stuff updated and this totally went below my radar and considering how important pw vault is.... pretty disastrous on lastpass part imo.
ah well it saves me so much time and ease of use for random websites.

It's actually even more problematic than that. Version 4 *is* alpha so the fact that the 2 biggest security issues in quite a while are only fixed in Version 4 is downright evil. That said I don't have any issues with LastPass in Version 4, so YMMV... but when it gets down to it, I'd rather use alpha version than be exposed to two giant security holes no matter what other issues arise.

And it being an alpha also means that it isn't allowed (by Mozilla) to override 3.3 stable. Yet Lastpass pushes version 4 extension as installer if you download it from their site...

That's a lot of sigh worthy stuff imo.

5. Re: Into the Black Jul 29, 2016, 08:28 eRe4s3r

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 21:03:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 20:33:
thank you for that !!!

Ditto, was running old version here too apparently.

Well you guys are welcome Had to fix this on 3 PC's... so yeah. Ever since they released version 4 everyone on Version 3 was stuck there apparently, never receiving updates. What a giant (security) pitfall....

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 28, 2016, 19:20 eRe4s3r

If ye using Lastpass make double sure it actually runs on version 4.xxx

Auto update does NOT update from version 3 to version 4 by itself as I just noticed +.+

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 28, 2016, 19:04 eRe4s3r

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 18:45:
Sweet, so I get $60 for my 2 970s?

According to the article.. yes ,)

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Trailer
8. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 15:10 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 14:38:
Hey, lottsa people would like a farm, I'm one of them. Not that big and commercial but gentleman farming for sure. Enough to provide most of my own food and enough to sell at farmers markets and restos to make some bucks. I'd really like to get into mushroom and microgreen farming.

What is stopping you? You can establish an indoor mushroom farm with modern growth LED's and a basic vapor based watering solution for around $2k... takes about as much space as an aquarium.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Counter-Strike: GO event pulled from German TV after Munich attack Jul 28, 2016, 12:27 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 09:49:
Here we go again. Politicians going for easy scapegoats and simple solutions to a complex problem.

The channel decided this themselves... and really, after 4 attacks in 2 weeks (6 if you count the French ones) the public is already aggravated enough here. No point in heating up an already boiling public

10297 Comments. 515 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo