Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10051 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 30, 2016, 06:24 eRe4s3r

ShakyJake wrote on May 30, 2016, 05:16:
I know the newer Total War games get a lot of hate on here, but I'm really liking this new one. They have some new settlement mechanics that work a lot better than juggling public order/pestilence, and the battles are really fun with all the crazy units everyone has. I only hope the late-game hero spam gets addressed, but other than that I heartily recommend this.

Hero spam and marching stance raid/raze abuse by the AI are biggest issues imo Aside that great game. Of course, will be a far greater game when we have bigger more bad-ass mods.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 21:05 eRe4s3r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 29, 2016, 18:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 29, 2016, 13:35:
Uh, I am talking about problems with WIFI / Bluetooth / USB .. not human tissue (which you apparently read out of nowhere into my comment).

Here's what you said, with emphasis added:

Yuo know why certain elements of desktop PC cases are made of heavy materials? To shield you and every other attached device from all the EM emissions crap your PC gives off.

Saying that "you" need shielding from "EM emissions crap", implies that there is something bad you need to be protected from. If you just meant EM interference with electrical devices, then fair enough (although in most cases that's fairly easily mitigated). But based upon the words you actually wrote, there was a pretty clear implication that we need to be shielded from the low-frequency EM emissions produced by household electronics, a claim which contradicts everything we know about physics and is usually only made on fringe blogs with an affinity for all-caps and exclamation points.

Fair enough, bad wording on my part

10. Re: Morning Mobilization May 29, 2016, 13:35 eRe4s3r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 29, 2016, 00:47:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 28, 2016, 22:23:
To shield you and every other attached device from all the EM emissions crap your PC gives off.

You're aware that the EM radiation produced by electronic devices doesn't have a short enough wavelength to have an ionizing effect on human tissue, right? Sunlight is far, far, far more damaging than anything your computer could ever hope to produce. People hear radiation but apparently don't understand that not all radiation is a gamma ray.

To argue that the EM radiation put out by the electronics in your home requires special shielding to protect human health is essentially to argue that everything we know about Physics and Biology is wrong. It's not impossible that there are factors we simply don't know about, but that's a very different claim from asserting harms that the corpus of scientific knowledge contradicts and precludes.

Uh, I am talking about problems with WIFI / Bluetooth / USB .. not human tissue (which you apparently read out of nowhere into my comment). Maybe google what 2.5ghz EM radiation interferes with (hint: water, in your body) which is why humans for example block WIFI/Radio signals.

Doesn't mean that's bad to you, I am saying this device will have EM interference problems up the whaazoo.

Ps.: To clarify, I am not talking about your health, I am talking about your DEVICES health. Which is you know, the point of a backpack computer with USB ports (which it needs for VR) and WIFI (which you need for .. you know.. INTERNET?) ;p

This comment was edited on May 29, 2016, 13:47.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 28, 2016, 22:23 eRe4s3r

Vive has already won.. why? It's on Steam. That is all. You can not beat Steam in the gaming market unless you are Blizzard or EA and even then you are making X amount of losses because people like to collect games on Steam (thankfully Steam has external shortcuts, which even work with steamlink/controller). And Facebook is more like Microsoft (aka the "don't have a fucking clue about PC gaming" companies).

And all that said, I still hope GEN 2 of VR comes with full FOV, at least 4k combined resolution and adaptive lenses.

By the way, backpack computers? Forget it. Yuo know why certain elements of desktop PC cases are made of heavy materials? To shield you and every other attached device from all the EM emissions crap your PC gives off. So Backpack PC would either be gimped as hell (on die GPU) or heavy as hell

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 26, 2016, 19:53 eRe4s3r

That Google victory is pivotal, had the jury decided for Oracle EVERY API and SDK ever made would have been basically illegal, and opened up one of the greatest licensing problems in the history of the planet (literally, every major API would be affected, among them for example SGI from OpenGL which is used in EVERY browser in existence. Unthinkable what Oracle was thinking here, did they not realize that their own Java would have violated quite a few other API's ?  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
33. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 17:33 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on May 26, 2016, 17:28:
Cutter wrote on May 26, 2016, 17:06:
The difference between ETS2 and ED is at least there's stuff to see in ETS2.

What is ETS2?

Euro Truck Simulator 2

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 26, 2016, 16:52 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on May 26, 2016, 16:39:
I mean, Cutter pokes aside, we all realize we're covered by my comment, too, right?

Take pride in your faults!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2016, 16:30 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 26, 2016, 14:35:
RedEye9 wrote on May 25, 2016, 15:37:
pssst blue, i use ublock origin, can I please send you $5 bucks American a month, I bet that more than makes up lost add revenue.

Yeah, where's that Patreon?

Flattr would be far better. Or just a simple "dumb" paypal link

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse May 26, 2016, 16:25 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on May 26, 2016, 16:17:
That is clearly the sign of an important man with things to do.

Are you saying there are things more important than bluesnews? You heretic!

Ps.: I have only 3.2 posts per day... awww ;/
PPs.: You must have calculated that to make your point, kudos.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 25, 2016, 19:57 eRe4s3r

All hail the robots.. I guess.. not good news for those 60000 workers though  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization May 25, 2016, 19:26 eRe4s3r

MajorD wrote on May 25, 2016, 18:48:
Cutter wrote on May 25, 2016, 18:41:
1350 of these cuts are in Finland as Microsoft kills what remains of its disastrous $7.2bn purchase of Nokia.

MS just never ceases to amaze me. Simply boggles the mind.

The company is so disjointed, it is sad.

What company, you mean 20 companies all sitting in the same place, thinking they are the only true MS... no doubt one of the 20 has the one true billion $ ring to dominate the others.. for a few months.

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2016, 19:22 eRe4s3r

sauron wrote on May 25, 2016, 17:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2016, 15:39:
Also I have to admit, when thinking of WoW, Alliance vs Orks is not what I would first think about as a decent setting.. that would be Undead vs Elves.... Undercity and all that, would be amazing, but maybe not PG13

Orcs are not exactly the best character actors. Plus, they tend to show up for work drunk.

It got so bad here that now I use a breathalyzer system. When they clock in they have to breath on a hobbit. If the hobbit has to go to rehab, they get put on kitchen detail.

Lmao

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2016, 15:39 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on May 25, 2016, 12:50:
Cutter wrote on May 25, 2016, 12:08:
You give this massive property to a guy who's made two movies and knows nothing about the property? Yeah that was bound to work out well. Rolleyes

Duncan Jones is actually a fan of the Warcraft games and WOW, and a gamer.

Being a fan of WOW and being a good character writer are mutually exclusive apparently. Most reviews bash it for being as generic (the setting) and bland (the characters) as it gets... "Battlefield Earth without the swerve" basically. Love that play with words from 1 of the critics.

Doesn't mean it isn't a great 1 time popcorn movie though. Because if you like fantasy how can you not like even the most generic but visually impressive attempt at it? Also I have to admit, when thinking of WoW, Alliance vs Orks is not what I would first think about as a decent setting.. that would be Undead vs Elves.... Undercity and all that, would be amazing, but maybe not PG13

News Comments > Bridge Constructor Trains Expansion
3. Re: Bridge Constructor Trains Expansion May 25, 2016, 13:55 eRe4s3r

bhcompy wrote on May 25, 2016, 12:12:
Is this the next iteration of Bridgebuilder/Pontifex?

No, it's a mobile port of some clone

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 25, 2016, 12:13 eRe4s3r

ZeroPike1 wrote on May 25, 2016, 11:43:
Yup, my Mother started her laptop and I get a phone call about what to do with "this Windows 10 thing". Told her to avoid it and X-it away. But still stupidly aggressive on MS's part.

The X now allows the install and does NOT reject it. You should have read the link. I assume this caught many by surprise, I blocked the GWX and spy updates by default in my network so no problems... yet

Hopefully MS will stop this nonsense, if I wanted to go to W10 I would not need a nag screen to do it.

News Comments > Spellforce 3 Details
5. Re: Spellforce 3 Details May 25, 2016, 12:05 eRe4s3r

Thank the heavens Nordic games bought the IP  

29. Re: aol lasik May 25, 2016, 12:01 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on May 25, 2016, 04:54:
Sepharo wrote on May 25, 2016, 02:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 25, 2016, 01:54:
1% ?

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/nightvision.htm

March 2014
An alarming 19.1% of patients enrolled in an FDA clinical trial for LASIK using the latest technology reported worse or significantly worse "night driving difficulty" six months after surgery.

I have to believe a significant amount of that is introduced through bias. I was told repeatedly before my surgery that I might have worse vision when driving at night. It's not great, but as far as I can recall it wasn't great before the surgery either. Driving in the dark with contrasting blinding headlights oncoming is bad for anyone I'd imagine. So when the docs keep telling everyone that they're night driving is going to suffer they can't help but notice how bad it is and chalk it up to the surgery whether it was at fault or not. That's my theory at least.

What's your basis for assuming it's bias? Both my cousin and my brother had LASIK, and said that after the surgery they would see light halos around bright lights, like headlights, at night, something they didn't experience before. They both thought it was annoying, but worth it. There are ton of websites -- most of them the LASIK providers -- warning of this specific effect, and that link says 41% of people experience the same. I wouldn't think that something that would be easy to bias into existence.

Well night vision isn't at all subjective really when we talk about rim-glow, halo's and glare. All 3 should be considered legal blindness because light-sources causing these are not exactly a rarity at night.

The night vision problem with glare has become much worse in the recent years because these new LED headlights are incredibly bright and focused light sources. So the problems got worse maybe because technology progressed...

Anyhow, I have great night vision.... so to me a change in that would be very noticeable.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 25, 2016, 11:52 eRe4s3r

Non verified benchmarks

Not worth to even contemplate

26. Re: aol lasik May 25, 2016, 01:54 eRe4s3r

1% ?

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/nightvision.htm

March 2014
An alarming 19.1% of patients enrolled in an FDA clinical trial for LASIK using the latest technology reported worse or significantly worse "night driving difficulty" six months after surgery.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. May 25, 2016, 01:36 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2016, 01:26:
Paradox steps in to remove 'inappropriate' Stellaris mod from Steam…

This from a game that has slavery as a mechanic...

Paradox "modding" "guidelines" are well known for the insane absurdity contained within sadly...

10051 Comments. 503 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo