Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10734 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
23. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 15:07 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 14:33:
Everything came back up about half an hour ago.

Literally 2 minutes after I posted that too ^^ Ah well

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AU Fines Valve $3M
19. Re: AU Fines Valve $3M Dec 23, 2016, 14:03 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 11:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 11:31:
That's a steep fine for being offline during a sale.
I was just going to ask if anyone could get through, seems the fine broke valve and they had to turn off the Steam Sale servers.

Community is down for me as well.. heck, everything seems to be down except download servers.. wtf?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2016, 20:25 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 11:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 17:59:
Pigeon wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:50:

Which the researchers noticed and attempted to correct for:

To make more of an apples-to-apples comparison, the study authors repeated their analysis using data only from hospitalists. These doctors only treat hospitalized patients, and since they work in shifts, their patients essentially are randomly assigned. Even so, female hospitalists had better outcomes (10.8% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 14.64% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male hospitalists (11.17% of patients died within 30 days and 15.11% were re-admitted), according to the study.

The researchers also reran the numbers using only hospitals without intensive care units, since male doctors may be more likely to work in ICUs, where patients are sicker. Once again, female doctors had better outcomes (11.16% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 15.34% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male doctors (11.78% of patients died within 30 days and 15.94% were readmitted).

The rerun (and thus numbers) is statistically totally flawed, you can't take a snapshot of 30 days in a hospital and then AVERAGE mortality per gender of doctor when nothing else is perfectly balanced and equal in the system. As the study itself describes, there is a shift system and not equal spread of genders between doctors, MANY doctors interact with the SAME patient over many shifts. This means because there are more male doctors, a male doctor would interact with MORE patients (on average) by nature during shifts (who then might die), and female doctors with less, but only if you take a statistical average of interactions. This obviously shifts mortality because less female doctors also means less average interactions by female doctors with patients that die over 30 day average over shifts.

It says absolutely nothing about female doctors being better doctors, that would only be possible with an in-depth look at the cases and ALL interactions that patient had with doctors. And even then it would tell you nothing and it certainly does not allow the interpretation that the LA times published. In fact if the difference on average is lower than the gender imbalance they might actually be worse doctors ^^

I would be seriously surprised if they did not use an analysis that accounted for the inequity in number of male vs. female physicians. Unfortunately I'm not as up on my statistics as I should be and even reading through the actual paper (The Journal Article linked in the LA Times article) I can't adequately explain what they did without spending hours and hours researching the various methods they used. I can see no reason to assume that when they say they adjusted for patient volume they didn't use some method for doing this as opposed to leaving it up to the quasi-random selection of shift system.

You would be surprised? I wouldn't.... this study was done by doctors, not by statisticians. You can very easily come to wrong conclusions if you apply statistical models without adjustments to numbers that are sorted by gender. When I learned this stuff, we were told that in a statistic that sorts like this

Lung cancer rates per 100k
Female smokers 200
Female non-smokers 50
-- RISK OF SMOKING per 100k (with cancer) 4.0
Male smokers 400
Male non-smokers 50
-- RISK OF SMOKING per 100k (with cancer) 8.0

You should think long and hard what you are actually measuring (hint: lung cancer isn't just caused by smoking, not by a long shot)

Anyway, my point is, this study does not say what they did specifically to account for the imbalance in genders of doctors. Just saying you applied a model isn't scientifically correct. You need to detail what you applied, where, to account for imbalances and wrong conclusions.

TL;DR

I don't say the study is flawed, I am saying the conclusion they draw has to be considered in the reality that 70% of all doctors are male and they apparently also work more compared to the 30% female doctors. (This is likely because of different work places, again, these numbers don't tell you anything, because average workload tells you nothing except that you averaged many numbers that should never be averaged. ^^

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 17:59 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 14:50:

Which the researchers noticed and attempted to correct for:

To make more of an apples-to-apples comparison, the study authors repeated their analysis using data only from hospitalists. These doctors only treat hospitalized patients, and since they work in shifts, their patients essentially are randomly assigned. Even so, female hospitalists had better outcomes (10.8% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 14.64% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male hospitalists (11.17% of patients died within 30 days and 15.11% were re-admitted), according to the study.

The researchers also reran the numbers using only hospitals without intensive care units, since male doctors may be more likely to work in ICUs, where patients are sicker. Once again, female doctors had better outcomes (11.16% of their patients died within 30 days of being admitted to the hospital and 15.34% were re-admitted within 30 days) than male doctors (11.78% of patients died within 30 days and 15.94% were readmitted).

The rerun (and thus numbers) is statistically totally flawed, you can't take a snapshot of 30 days in a hospital and then AVERAGE mortality per gender of doctor when nothing else is perfectly balanced and equal in the system. As the study itself describes, there is a shift system and not equal spread of genders between doctors, MANY doctors interact with the SAME patient over many shifts. This means because there are more male doctors, a male doctor would interact with MORE patients (on average) by nature during shifts (who then might die), and female doctors with less, but only if you take a statistical average of interactions. This obviously shifts mortality because less female doctors also means less average interactions by female doctors with patients that die over 30 day average over shifts.

It says absolutely nothing about female doctors being better doctors, that would only be possible with an in-depth look at the cases and ALL interactions that patient had with doctors. And even then it would tell you nothing and it certainly does not allow the interpretation that the LA times published. In fact if the difference on average is lower than the gender imbalance they might actually be worse doctors ^^

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2016, 18:05.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 11:55 eRe4s3r

Acleacius wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:15:
Uggh, that's one of the reasons I stopped eating meats decades ago, all the disease they spread. Puke

Life, the deadliest of all diseases.

News Comments > New AMD ReLive Drivers
1. Re: New AMD ReLive Drivers Dec 21, 2016, 10:36 eRe4s3r

Always nice when you need a GPU driver to fix WIFI issues...

Wait, what?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2016, 15:44 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 13:42:
I have to post this... this one will be a family legacy at reunions:

https://twitter.com/LOV_app/status/811104147797921793

The internet never forgets!

News Comments > Dawn of War III Trailer
4. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer Dec 20, 2016, 09:54 eRe4s3r

Just hope they get the studio involved that did the original cinematic trailer for DoW III, because that was amazing art direction AND sound direction. And yeah, makes you wish for a "real" WH40k movie, but Hollywood would ruin everything.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2016, 23:05 eRe4s3r

RoboNerd wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 12:56:
Mr. Blue,

Take it from a retired food safety professional - buy yourself a digital probe thermometer. And then USE it.

That goes for all the Bluesnation... Chef

Using one and would consider that a vital thing too... ever since I got one I am no longer scared of below low (100C) temperature meat preparation where I found that it is nearly impossible to judge the temperature and state of an entire "meat-brick" even with a "poker". And it has turned to be absolutely fantastic tool as well. Would never prepare semi-complicated meat recipes without it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 22:47 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 19:02:
That Gatebox appliance is just sad, as in depressing and not meant as insulting. How hollow and empty of a human life must be led where the only emotional stimulus comes from a set of scripted routines. Moreover, where that's the only positive emotional stimulus.

Well, I am taking a guess and muse that Japan doesn't have record low birthrates for no reason...

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 15:13 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:18:
I dunno if I'd say those mocking the machine that seeks to replace human interaction and physical contact are the puritan ones.

You can find more sympathetic comments YouTube comments section, where some hopeful fans declare the female species "over."

I'm sure that plenty of women mourn the possibility of sex with guys willing to quickly trade them in for the opportunity to dry hump a coffee machine.

Not everyone who wants a personal assistant with an avatar waifu wants to have sex with it you know It is a playful take on personal assistant zystems. (I call them PAZ , get it? From metal gear? ;p) and as a geek, I am naturally curious how far we can push this technology, I want VR and full android integration! Talking assistant that knows what I need to buy at the end of the week? Sign me up

I completely agree you can be sensible and rational about a product like this. With you posting it, I assumed you would be.

However, I don't think the video is aiming for the sensible and rational, it's aiming for the lonely male who has an anime female avatar on Twitter and spends his time asking wondering why the stupid whore in the dorm across the hall won't date him; she's probably too much of a bitch to realize what a nice guy he is. In any case, that's who many of the responders in most articles for this turned out to be.

Had it been, rather than a "sexy" anime character, it was Mr. Belvedere (or Mr. Beauregard, if that suits better), it'd not have this response, haha.

You are going very wide with your argumentation I just found it odd that the comments on ARS would be focused on it being a waifu. Like, who cares what it is? It will be moddable because these developers sure aren't using non-standard model data or complex bone mapping in a box with barely a GPU/CPU worth the name.... ;p But what that box definitely can't do is render the grand mustache of Mr. Belvedere in holographic projection at a quality worth the name.

Idol culture is really big in Japan and so this approach makes total sense if you market it in Japan. ^^

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 14:50 eRe4s3r

Bodolza wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:16:
Sadly, Slashdot has gone the same way. A whole bunch of whiny, entitled, thin-skinned geeks up-voting each other. There's no actual discussion anymore on those discussion forums. People just fire off some comment and never respond.

Which is indeed sad, but even sadder when it happens to sites where you'd think geeks who are naturally curious about technology actually want to read stories about, you know, new technology uniting sub-culture and tech from big corps. While on slashdot I can also attest that this is basically true, and even worse I remember a time when this wasn't the case.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 14:44 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 13:18:
I dunno if I'd say those mocking the machine that seeks to replace human interaction and physical contact are the puritan ones.

You can find more sympathetic comments YouTube comments section, where some hopeful fans declare the female species "over."

I'm sure that plenty of women mourn the possibility of sex with guys willing to quickly trade them in for the opportunity to dry hump a coffee machine.

Not everyone who wants a personal assistant with an avatar waifu wants to have sex with it you know It is a playful take on personal assistant zystems. (I call them PAZ , get it? From metal gear? ;p) and as a geek, I am naturally curious how far we can push this technology, I want VR and full android integration! Talking assistant that knows what I need to buy at the end of the week? Sign me up

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2016, 10:47 eRe4s3r

I don't really have anything to say about waifu coffee makers, but I have to say something about the comments in that article. Because for a second I thought I had entered pinterest, and double checked the url. but no, this was really Ars, home of tech geeks and sub cultures, instead I see puritan stuck up anti-geeks complaining about creepiness of waifus? The actual fuck

What happened to Ars? The comments makes it look like some puritan anti-sub culture cult. That is, shocking!

I seriously thought that Ars was a tech site for geeks. But apparently I was wrong. It has gotten invaded by grumpy old (and very stuck up) dwarfs. ^^

News Comments > For Honor P2P Complaints and Dedicated Server Petition
1. Re: For Honor P2P Complaints and Dedicated Server Petition Dec 19, 2016, 10:37 eRe4s3r

Ubisoft fucking another IP up.. not surprised That's what happens with criminal CEO's

Ps.: I am super sour as I just wasted a day of my life getting "The Crew" to run. And failing, the exe closed without error message or anything and I could not find any solution to this. The support was the most braindead chat-bot I had ever the misfortune to encounter! Browsing forums quite a few people have this particular issue on all hardware and driver versions...

Well, Ubisoft as it lives and breaths.

Even more sour?

Anno 2205, know the game? Well they just released a few weeks ago "Frontiers" as part of the Season pack, you know, the last of the big DLC, after Orbit/Tundra (the others didn't really add anything of value)? Which was supposed to make Mars playable.. turns out there are still tons of references to Mars in the game, one even in the voice files, but there is no Mars, the addon was released unfinished as final DLC this game will ever get. And it added... nothing. Synths, yeah, no new wares, but synths are a "sink" (meaning they don't pay taxes) which means they add nothing to your game aside from bragging stats. Aside that you also get 3 islands which all add nothing really, because with the mars as final destination of all resources and production there is no point to expand beyond your own personal goals to min-max islands I guess.. sigh

So.. FUCK UBISOFT (And FUCK KONAMI) ;p

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2016, 11:33.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2016, 08:41 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 18, 2016, 05:42:
Hang on Deus Ex:MD has multiplayer?? What the? Might have to reinstall it to check it out.

Yeah, though not how you might think It's basically time trials, but in a digital VR world.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2016, 08:31 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 18:23:
Just have to include an online component in your game, even if it doesn't really require online.

Elite Dangerous, still no crack for that

Or basically, games as a service. When the Elite devs go the way of the dodo, the game will cease existing as well. Which is especially sour as I can still play the original Elite, but good luck playing Elite Dangerous in 15 years.

And it isn't just that, Diablo 3, Overwatch, HOTS, Heartstone. Notice something? Blizzard hasn't made a real game in decades, they sell you a service as a game. Sure none of these are "cracked" but that also means that when Blizzard should ever close down, these games are dead as well, they are gone. Already we have the real problem that new gamers don't even know how Diablo 3 was when it released as since the days of automated patches you can't even roll back to the original version.

It's imo a really shit way the game industry has been going.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: AT&T Verizon and their ilk Dec 18, 2016, 08:13 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 23:06:
Get ready for corporations to blatantly piss in your face and charge you money for it, with all consumer advocates being silenced by our incoming administration.

Boy it's going to be a great four years.

You think there are going to be free elections in 4 years?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
34. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 17, 2016, 14:41 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 11:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 11:19:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 10:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 04:38:
Until there is clear proof, I consider this "FBI/CIA Russia did it" spin fake news ;)

I wouldn't label that under fake news. That is news made by Prez, Congress, 16 agencies, it is real news. If it is all incorrect by design, that would actually be worse than fake news.

You mean a intentional misleading narrative spun with post-factual truths? Why.. I could have sworn that we saw something like this just recently......

I guess as a German, I also have the freedom to automatically assume that anything the US gov says is a lie. They've been lying about spying on us after all, they've lied when they were caught red-handed spying on Merkel, they lied about WMD's in Iraq...

See the problem is the institutions you quoted do not create faith in their words in me, they create endless doubt. ;/

Perhaps, but that isn't what is being labeled as Fake News. It is another thing, that in actuality would be worse if fabricated.

I do get your point, but perhaps try to look even deeper past the lies. The lies have been there forever, from everyone, since dawn and will continues to be, we cannot stop that. Demanding actions causes rifts. I say this because everyone ever in office has fallen victim to it, if it was a bad apple here or there I'd conclude something else, but everyone has lied to a certain level at the very least.

So I have to surrender if I were to run for office, avg joe, won, that first you and everyone else not even knowing me just assumes I'm a lying douche, it is what we do. But to me I'm still my ole self, good or bad. I know some go in with proper intentions. But something happens, imo it is seeing all the requests, hearing all the issues, looking at budgets, looking at time, looking at obligations. It consumes, it twists all. You are right they lie, but good ole you in the same place, you'd be a liar as well, but you like them would be able to justify it because of being put between a rock and a hard place a decision had to be made, you weighed and did the best you thought. So if we are all liars, we have to accept that is what the job does to the person.

So I have long ago accepted I've been lied to by my country something terrible, it isn't a maybe in my mind, it happened and still happens. But I had to dig deeper to see how I can justify this, use history as a guide. This is the way it has always been. Like kids these days. You know the stupid things we all live over and over again, person to person, generation to generation. That a person promising things becomes a trap, you can't promise and predict as well as you hope to. Like ship dates on games, some people will hold you to it, some to an extreme level, in this case it is just a game, those making games have found not promising works best, but being an official, you can't escape so easily, actions are demanded.

I also have fully embraced Heaven is not obtainable on Earth and don't even attempt to think anything close is possible. I've accepted all the warts of man, the goal now is to be a little bit better today than yesterday and that is something mans history shows we can do. We can do that. We can reach that. But we need gov't and the liars it creates to do that. It's a necessary evil, we wouldn't find we are better off without a gov't, after the deep pain created by thinking otherwise again, insert failed history lesson, a new gov't would be propped up, it will come with all the same traits as before, the broken promises, the lies, but it also gives standards we can't have otherwise, good standards, standards that are greater than the evils it creates.

It will be exactly this: "Meet the new boss, same..., King is dead, long..." sayings that are time tested and true. We'll have the same problems on the other side no matter what, the individual promises of something better will also be looked back to as just another lie, the overall results though will still be better than nothing.

I admit I did not expect such a profound explanation I can not discount your point that an outsider perspective will always have a vastly different perception... but to accept it, is to admit defeat. Not just to the government, but also humanity as a whole. Because with such a system we can not ever hope to survive changing climate or overpopulation or whatever else ails us in the future. As long as I have to always assume that my gov lies, the gov has a real lack of legitimacy. And the greater this becomes, the worse the counter reaction is by empowering angry and emotional reactions.

Although I am not sure I would prefer a politician that tells me a truth I don't want to hear. Maybe in the current system and political climate, that would actually be much worse.

Anyhow, I shall link you to this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F3y2bJzDJQ
which is not at all related to real world thankfully... (WH40k lore video)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
29. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 17, 2016, 11:19 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 10:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 04:38:
Until there is clear proof, I consider this "FBI/CIA Russia did it" spin fake news ;)

I wouldn't label that under fake news. That is news made by Prez, Congress, 16 agencies, it is real news. If it is all incorrect by design, that would actually be worse than fake news.

You mean a intentional misleading narrative spun with post-factual truths? Why.. I could have sworn that we saw something like this just recently......

I guess as a German, I also have the freedom to automatically assume that anything the US gov says is a lie. They've been lying about spying on us after all, they've lied when they were caught red-handed spying on Merkel, they lied about WMD's in Iraq...

See the problem is the institutions you quoted do not create faith in their words in me, they create endless doubt. ;/

10734 Comments. 537 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo