Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10630 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
16. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 16:10 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:04:
So is this basically Just Cause 3 with worse controls?

No, how about all your nay Sayers play the game first before bashing the game. You all are talking out of your asses without any play time. Seriously!!

You missed your pills today? I looked up a quick twitch stream, it looked like a shittier Just Cause 3, and shittier controls because I Saw in-door combat.. hahaha, or what passes as that with the dumb as bricks AI. That is all I meant with that. You saying you don't see the similarities?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 15:46 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 15:01:
To be honest after seeing and reading all the updated reviews, I am even more undecided on AMD vs INTEL now. I game on my gaming rig but I also have huge storage requirements, and when the performance equalizes on 4k in benches then that means once this GPU limit is broken by new GPU's, the AMD cpu will be much slower than a 7700K both in DX9 and DX12, so wtf is this telling me about future proofing? Top end mobos have 4 sata ports and 1 m2 port. I have already everything used of that (except M2) so I'd hit the platform use ceiling even before I upgrade anything else in my system.

When I buy a Ryzen 6 or 8 core now, will I end up with a CPU that in 2 years is vastly pwned by Intel 4/6/8 cores like it was back in I7 release days?

Is intel coming with 6 cores on 7700K IPC levels? Will they fit the old platforms or require a new one?

Doubtfull, as the from the ground up, brand new zen architecture matures, developers get acquainted with it, tweak compilers for better performance. As the limits of miniaturization continue to be felt more and more strongly. As AMD ramps up the clocks on Zen in Zen2-3. As mobo manufacturers, AMD and developers/MS sort out the kinks. As developers learn to leverage more than 8 threads, like the Assasin's Creed Syndicate 12 threads usage. The performance gap in games in CPU limited scenarios is going to close significantly. I don't see productivity numbers moving much tho, not that they need to mind you.

Altho I don't recommend jumping on the first gen just yet, and certainly not on the R7 for gaming. I'd wait to see how it looks on the R5-3 or even just plain wait for gen2 and see if Intel changes its 4c/8t is "all you need" for mainstream policy for Cannonlake, which is doubtfull since it has already been pretty far in development by now. There's a high probability, if not a certainty that only the kaby-E parts will be more than 4 cores and there remains to see if the 6c parts pricing will be competitive and even if it is, the platform itself is likely to be much pricier.

Next after Cannonlake, Icelake may or may not break that habit in 2018, altho I guess that Tigerlake in 2019 will most probably offer 6c in the mainstream sector.

All in all, my recommendation for now is to wait and see...

And what if I needed to build a new system (mobo/ram/CPU) right now, future proof for gaming and a bit of photoshop (ok, maybe a lot of photoshop)? This is my big conundrum. Good game performance automatically means good thread handler and memory performance (only the latter being relevant for Photoshop)

And so this creates a really shit situation right now. 7700K is just the better (and absurdly, cheaper) platform for my needs, but would a 7700K really be future proof? Alternatively when my shit explodes right now, what would you say I should get?

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released
12. Re: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Released Mar 7, 2017, 15:04 eRe4s3r

So is this basically Just Cause 3 with worse controls?  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
12. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 7, 2017, 15:02 eRe4s3r

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 04:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2017, 03:23:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 23:58:
all you have to do is close your eyes a bit, bit your lip and start moaning softly, maybe grunt a couple times - and they will finish with their little search very quickly

Or maybe sue YOU for sexual harassment

id love to take that one to trial... all day long

be gettin paid son

Hehe, you'd definitely gain some fame with that lawsuit that is for sure

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 7, 2017, 15:01 eRe4s3r

To be honest after seeing and reading all the updated reviews, I am even more undecided on AMD vs INTEL now. I game on my gaming rig but I also have huge storage requirements, and when the performance equalizes on 4k in benches then that means once this GPU limit is broken by new GPU's, the AMD cpu will be much slower than a 7700K both in DX9 and DX12, so wtf is this telling me about future proofing? Top end mobos have 4 sata ports and 1 m2 port. I have already everything used of that (except M2) so I'd hit the platform use ceiling even before I upgrade anything else in my system.

When I buy a Ryzen 6 or 8 core now, will I end up with a CPU that in 2 years is vastly pwned by Intel 4/6/8 cores like it was back in I7 release days?

Is intel coming with 6 cores on 7700K IPC levels? Will they fit the old platforms or require a new one?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 7, 2017, 03:23 eRe4s3r

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 23:58:
all you have to do is close your eyes a bit, bit your lip and start moaning softly, maybe grunt a couple times - and they will finish with their little search very quickly

Or maybe sue YOU for sexual harassment

News Comments > New AMD Crimson ReLive Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Crimson ReLive Drivers Mar 6, 2017, 21:06 eRe4s3r

Xero wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 20:56:
If your card has drivers that cause issues with a game like CS GO, it might be time to rethink what hardware you rock under the hood.

Well they are fixed issues now, at least...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 6, 2017, 20:32 eRe4s3r

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:57:
I used to be a huge fan of MPC, but went to VLC a while back and never looked back. Its interface might not be as polished, but not having to worry about dodgy CODEC packs more than made up for it.

Must have been a pretty long while back, because MPC-HC had back in 2012 already it's own filters (LAV) and even before FFDshow was never dodgy in the slightest.

And MPC is not the same as MPC-HC btw

My MPC-HC setup is via MadVR so I am the super minority use case though..

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 6, 2017, 14:53 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 00:44:
Lol, I was wondering when the tinfoil hat brigade would come out.

For any of these theories to hold water, you would have to accept that at some point in the future, Microsoft will stop allowing people to run Win32 programs on their OS, full stop.

And if you believe that, you already drank the kool-aid.

In other news, every major car manufacturer decides that they're no longer building cars that run on gas or electricity, they're ONLY going to build cars that run on some wacky experimental hamster-wheel that no one wants. I'm sure they'll be in business for a long time. Damn you hamster wheel!

Maybe not on Windows 10 as a whole, but in the nitty gritty things get muddy.

Windows 10 Mobile
Hololens (They claimed to work on Unity Win32 compat, but nothing came of that yet)

The only thing stopping MS from doing this everywhere, is that UWP is a total fail (in terms of market share on W10) which in part is because MS dropped their own phone plans. And without own phones, you can't really sell a "unified API" to anyone, who already uses Win32 and iOS/Android.... and doesn't see the need for this at all, since straight phone ports usually sell atrociously on steam.

But yeah, Win32 will not go anywhere, it is truly the platform of this age, and MS is maybe greedy, but totally stupid they are not.

Btw, anyone know where to find Ryzen benchmarks on W7 ???? It runs on there, I wanna know how badly.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Mar 6, 2017, 14:42 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 10:47:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 02:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 23:18:
loomy wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 23:10:
old tvs will be like old cars. model t type shit. if you have a good one, keep it in storage for your kids

You wish, but phosphor decay is unstoppable.

Maybe so, but my mother still has my old Panasonic CRT TV that I got back in '92. She uses it daily, and it still looks fine. They last a while.

Absolutely. I had a Vectrex (1983) that still worked. The screen is a CRT.

You see, Phosphor decay makes the screen darker, so if you don't have comparison you can't even tell this happens. I still have my Philips 202p7 and I can definitely tell it lost around 20% brightness (manufactured 2005) this isn't a bad thing, but you can tell it happens and you need to adapt your calibration to it.

That's 12 years old CRT; and it still works fine, and it's what I play 60% of games on actually (mainly am too lazy to move my screens, even though I've got a glide thing for that, so it's easy..). But beyond 40 you would see massive drop in brightness. (assuming the electron gun continues working, which is a kinda big assumption, especially if you turned it on/off often )

This CRT by the way is causing more and more problems in windows, W10 doesn't even detect it and sets default res wonky and refresh rate wonky (60, when this screen pushes 100hz at 1600x1200), and on the latest high-end of GPU's you need to have converters to even see anything, and they cause problems too.

Anyhow, they still work of course, and you can repair the electronics to some extend, but when the phosphor is decayed you are fucked. Even if the screen works 100%, you'd have dimmer picture as it ages.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 5, 2017, 23:18 eRe4s3r

loomy wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 23:10:
old tvs will be like old cars. model t type shit. if you have a good one, keep it in storage for your kids

You wish, but phosphor decay is unstoppable.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Mar 5, 2017, 22:41 eRe4s3r

JeffD wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 18:40:
I think shaders will get it right. I kind of laughed at the article about things like with lcd the pixels will be wrong the color not as vibrant.. refresh..ect.

#1 these crt monitors were in no way calibrated, there was no such thing as color correction back then. It is up to the user to determine of the colors look good.

#2 60fps is pretty much doable by any consumer LCD. If you must, you can get a high quality TN panel, I would wager the 6 bit dithered color pallet is still more color accurate then the CRT. The only issue is gun games, they simply do not work. There are creative ways around this but we will most likely need to look into alternative controllers to get back the light gun aspect.

ontop of all this

#3 with tech limitations out of the way, we can then use shaders and visual trick to simulate the low resolution inaccuracies of the CRT. Right now the shaders are more of an artistic impression rather then an accurate one but I'm sure someone will pull through with %99 accurate shaders.

Case you are curious, if you never used the CRT.OpenGL shader in your SNES/NES/DOS emulators, you never played the games how they actually looked on TV or even earler PC screens back then. How many people you think don't know this? It makes me incredibly sad, if you ever played any emulated game without this filter, you never actually saw it how it really looked back then. And it's nearly impossible to notice this by yourself nowadays. Nobody has their old TV's anymore.

CRT.OpenGL CORRECTLY simulates the curvature, dotmask and phosphor behavior of a early TV CRT btw. And it's an extremely heavy shader. Even back in 2011 many integrated GPU's couldn't handle it...

Why do I mention this? Because how often you seen this shader in your emulator shader choice? Let me guess, Never? And that is disastrous to how people see these games nowadays. SNES games had an entirely different feeling to them due to how the dotmask and shadowmask worked together. How phosphor behaved and how the dotmask was shaped.

So you say this is simple to do? Well yeah, if you put an actual PC with an ACTUAL GPU in that thing. If you use this filter on a properly calibrated LCD, then yes. But as I sadly learned the hard way, nobody knows this filter is even a thing. They think how Super Mario looks from their NES emu is how it really looked (And that isn't true whatsoever), all good NES/SNES and arcade games use custom tricks to display properly within the simulation specs of a CRT (hence why this shader is imo mandatory) but sooooo many emulators don't ship with it, and so many people don't know about this ;(

Btw, that shader is 100% accurate, look up old TV's and accurate curvature values if you want to get 101% accurate

Why do I bring this up? Because this article CLEARLY did not know about this shader ;/

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2017, 22:54.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 5, 2017, 20:29 eRe4s3r

New battery tech, how nice.. if not for the fact that we read this news about 600 times now, and nothing replaced li-ion yet... if only this tech would actually get produced, and not just researched and then patented and never used by anyone ;/

Also it makes me smile that it is now a feature when batteries DO NOT EXPLODE

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
16. Re: Hidden message Mar 5, 2017, 20:26 eRe4s3r

ViRGE wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 19:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 16:15:
ViRGE wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 15:51:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 15:05:
It's not coated in rat poison. It's coated in a deterrent that is ALSO used in rat poison and puppy/kitten deterrents.
Thank you for clarifying that. I was about ready to smack someone for failing to read the damned article.

My question is, does it transfer off the cartridge to your fingers? Put in cartridge, pick up sandwich, WorstSammichEver?
Denatonium benzoate is stable once applied. In the quantities used as a bitterant, it won't transfer to the hands. You have to actually lick the cartridge to come in contact with it.

So is licking dangerous or not? And sorry for mistating, it is used as a consumption deterrent in rat poison, not as rat poison.
No, licking it is not dangerous. It is non-toxic and tastes terrible (to most people), which is why it's widely used as a bitterant.

Thanks for the info ^^ So this is actually kinda nice thing by Nintendo to do, but the original point still stands. WTF would anyone sane lick this....

9. Re: Hidden message Mar 5, 2017, 16:15 eRe4s3r

ViRGE wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 15:51:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 15:05:
It's not coated in rat poison. It's coated in a deterrent that is ALSO used in rat poison and puppy/kitten deterrents.
Thank you for clarifying that. I was about ready to smack someone for failing to read the damned article.

My question is, does it transfer off the cartridge to your fingers? Put in cartridge, pick up sandwich, WorstSammichEver?
Denatonium benzoate is stable once applied. In the quantities used as a bitterant, it won't transfer to the hands. You have to actually lick the cartridge to come in contact with it.

So is licking dangerous or not? And sorry for mistating, it is used as a consumption deterrent in rat poison, not as rat poison.

3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 5, 2017, 13:32 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 12:44:
Indeed... what in the hell. Should we be surprised though, with everything else going on?

I think we should... otherwise we accept this as a normal thing.

I mean seriously, I am not even surprised, people are doing stupid things, but Nintendo coating their game "memory cards" (lmao, in the year 2017 of all things) with rat poison is really taking it to whole new levels.

And of course, the usual idiocy takes hold, and now there is a lick-challenge. Because.. OF COURSE there is. Hah

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 5, 2017, 12:11 eRe4s3r

Speaking of keyboards.. my G11 with (by me) modded white LED's still works just fine Cleaned 5 times, 5 times rebuilt, 5 times fine (So far)  

1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 5, 2017, 11:58 eRe4s3r

Who.. why.. no.. let me ask differently.. WTF IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE  

News Comments > NieR PC This Month
12. Re: NieR PC This Month Mar 5, 2017, 01:01 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 01:00:
Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 01:00:
Drayth wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 00:02:
Here's a summary of the first game (spoiler-the story is whacked): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

nooice

Pretty whacked indeed ;p

News Comments > NieR PC This Month
7. Re: NieR PC This Month Mar 4, 2017, 22:01 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 21:46:
Bleh, too much consolitis.

Yeah, but how many good games like this do we get on PC? Ain't worth 60, but for sale (and summer sale is coming..) it will be nice to have on wishlist

10630 Comments. 532 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo