Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11409 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. MMO RTS Mobile Game Sep 27, 2017, 21:39 eRe4s3r

Ah Blizzard/Activision, how the mighty have fallen  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 27, 2017, 03:51 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 03:20:
So that Dyson electric car, will it street sweep too?

ON a more serious note, it's a shame they didn't lobby harder to have their diesel particulate capture tech to be made mandatory. How many deaths would that have avoided...

It's mandatory now in the EU though... well, for diesel cars that come out post 2017 anyway. The problem is this tech stops working at low temperatures. And in Germany, we have 50% of the year low temperatures.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: ... Sep 27, 2017, 02:01 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 01:36:
JeffD wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:54:
I have to rate the first 2 shows higher then the last star trek movie. It was pretty good IMO, can't wait to see more. I am a little disheartened after reading the wiki as it is apparently NOT intended to go on for more then a few seasons, after a couple of story arcs they will jump to a new ship and crew and time period (if the show is still going on of course).

Really? I think that the last Star Trek movie was more Trek than the first two reboot movies by far.

About Discovery: only the first two episodes of Star Trek: Voyager were weaker first episodes of a Trek series up to now. Discovery needs to improve quite a bit to stay for the usual seven seasons.

Technically what we saw was part 1 and part 2 of the pilot.. I hope this series isn't gonna FOCUS on the Klingon conflict....

News Comments > The Guild 3 Early Access
2. Re: The Guild 3 Early Access Sep 27, 2017, 01:57 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:09:
Hope this will be good!

Maybe, but this EA version is really really early alpha (aka, unplayable)

News Comments > Hob Now Available
3. Re: Hob Now Available Sep 27, 2017, 01:56 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 01:52:
Hob looks pretty good! Reminds me of Bastion, but more puzzly.

Great little game for sitting on the couch with a controller.

As long as you don't do that via steamlink, which causes it to crash.. seems to be a pretty rough launch (Also I had no idea Ogre engine still even exists)

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Sep 27, 2017, 00:57 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:26:
What sparked an empty bic lighter under Steams ass and prompted them to do such a thing.
Grin Bandana looked good https://steamdb.info/app/681430/graphs/

The threat of an investigation into money laundering....

News Comments > Tentative SAG-AFTRA Deal
4. Re: Tentative SAG-AFTRA Deal Sep 26, 2017, 04:34 eRe4s3r

That sounds like all jobs ever to be honest... but I agree that this should lead to better VA quality one would hope at least. But I think companies will cheap out and outsource instead...  

News Comments > Attack on Titan 2 Announced
2. Re: Attack on Titan 2 Announced Sep 25, 2017, 19:44 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 16:41:
That reveal in the second season... oooh maaaan was that good.

yeah, one hell of a mindfuck

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 19:35 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 04:36:
NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 21:45:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 18:47:
NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 17:49:
Re: The Star Trek transporter.

There's no problem because "continuity of consciousness" is an illusion created by our memory. We only remember the past in so far as our memories recall them for us. These memories are inaccurate and often change.

The debate necessitates the existence of some magical nonsense like a soul. Something separate from your body which can become detached when you are transported. If all you are is your body, then you aren't dying anymore than a toaster that's been taken apart and put back together properly. Both still work the same as they did before.

How do you account for identical twins then? Your twin is not you, even though you have the same genetics.

Twins may look similar because of shared genetics, but they aren't a single organism. Twins are no harder to account for than two of the same model of toaster. The illusion of continuity depends on the contents of memory, which in turn depends on the biological construction of the brain, and twins don't share that.
But that's exactly my point: if you deconstruct something or someone, then reconstruct it or them, is it original or a clone/copy? A twin or clone has your exact makeup, but they aren't you. If you teleport Star Trek style, will you still be looking through your eyes?

You will be conscious throughout and "experience" the actual teleport too, which leaves some interesting ethical and psychological questions though.... that's at least how Star Trek showed it. If we go by how the EXPLAINED it then you are literally entering a suicide box. But I guess nobody at Star Trek writer staff thought about the implications, they just thought it'd be a cool tech to have. I would still prefer teleporters to NOT be a thing though.

So the teleporter literally transfers your consciousness into a digital buffer, probably with a digital facsimile body, and then transfers you back over 1:1 wherever it is you need to go. Apparently this is pretty quick so you don't have time to feel like the Doctor on the Voyager... except when the teleport fails.

Let's ignore the fact that this is an absolutely dumb way to travel if you can separate consciousness from meat-body.. Ghost in the Shell showed what is possible. You teleport a puppet body or biological avatar and "assume direct control" and you are basically immortal through that.

Oh man, how I would love a Ghost in the Shell inspired Star Trek....

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 19:31 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 08:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 02:50:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 00:59:
Anyone watch Star Trek Discovery?

Yep, seems like a good start, but no idea where it's going

I liked it, generally good writing and so far intrigued by the plot/promise of action. Though because of a football game going long I get the feeling parts of it may have been cut. It certainly ended abruptly, it went to commercial, and when “it” resumed “it” was NCIS. There was one event that seemed to be motivated by very flimsy rationale. [SPOILERS] When she goes EVA because they don’t have shuttle craft, or ones that are as maneuverable as a space suit, I got the sense it was only done for the purpose of being cool. Also a little worried the main character might be too much of a Mary Sue. More [SPOILERS] Also I’m assuming that was the last episode for the main character since she assaulted the captain and attempted to commandeer the ship. She’ll be thrown out the air lock for treason right before the Klingons kill everyone right?

Yeah you are definitely missing an entire part of the 2nd episode there.... Spoilers if you are curious
The Klingons don't kill everyone, they use a torpedo warhead attached to a dead Klingon to detonate that thing close to the big ship, that cripples the big ship, they (captain and first) teleport over with the plan to capture the Kligon chief, but that goes haywire, Captain dies in combat and 1st is teleported out.

She is courtmartialed to lifelong imprisonment, but the captain (who I think is gonna be awesome ,p) of the titular ship "USS Discovery" picks her out and transfers her to his crew (why we don't know yet, but it's probably something to do with her heritage and the ship itself, which seems to be a pretty big vessel)

So yeah. What a shitty thing by CBS to do. And yes, that means the 1st is literally serving time on the Discovery. So it's not a thing she could have refused

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
36. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 19:18 eRe4s3r

Rhialto wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 18:51:
But the real question is, will I be forced to run Win10? I think so and that suck... while it was still possible to run Win7 on Z270 it could take a while to get all the drivers on Z370 fow Win7. Oh well!

I wonder this too... but I guess when I go 4k with a 1080TI (once the price drops more) this becomes a moot point anyway. Might as well "upgrade" to W10 then, when I need to redo all my OS crap anyway... not looking forward to that with the dozens of licenses I have running on here.

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
19. Re: Ultima Online Turns 20 Sep 25, 2017, 05:09 eRe4s3r

ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 02:02:
Don't know if you heard about this: Ultima 6 online

Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

haha

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 02:50 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 00:59:
Anyone watch Star Trek Discovery?

Yep, seems like a good start, but no idea where it's going

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 24, 2017, 21:32 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 17:43:
Justice Department goes nuclear on Google in search warrant fight.

The government noted that "the customary sanction for an individual's refusal to comply with court-ordered disclosure is immediate imprisonment." But the authorities are not pressing for that because "a corporate entity obviously cannot be imprisoned for its refusal to comply with a court order, the usual contempt sanction imposed against corporate entities is a fine."

So wait, corporations aren't people? I'm so confused!

Even better, the court order demands that google US violates EU law, which would make it target for persecution in the EU.

The court order by the US court is illegal.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2017, 19:21 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 18:47:
NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 17:49:
Re: The Star Trek transporter.

There's no problem because "continuity of consciousness" is an illusion created by our memory. We only remember the past in so far as our memories recall them for us. These memories are inaccurate and often change.

The debate necessitates the existence of some magical nonsense like a soul. Something separate from your body which can become detached when you are transported. If all you are is your body, then you aren't dying anymore than a toaster that's been taken apart and put back together properly. Both still work the same as they did before.

How do you account for identical twins then? Your twin is not you, even though you have the same genetics.

I know identical twins (well, 1 pair of em anyway) and though it may be their age (11 now), but I can tell them apart easily. I am saying from a pure body development standpoint, and also from personality standpoint.

Your genetics do not define who you are. Nurture is what defines the illusion of "continuity of consciousness" aka, what makes you you. And all research indicates that the state of consciousness is transferable because we found nothing that inherently defines it. Assuming the identical energy patterns are transfered, you would have no "cut" in between teleportation. You would literally come out as "you" only better, because cell entropy would be reset, making you potentially live forever.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 24, 2017, 01:35 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 19:24:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 17:58:
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:49:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 12:32:
The idea is too far ahead of its time. This will be a thing in 20 years when robotic delivery services are more common. People would be much more comfortable having a robot restock the fridge than a human.

I wouldn't trust a robot anymore than I would a person. And besides if it comes to that point you'll be homeless and begging for food, not having robots deliver it. Pretty sure a lot of folks on this board will be elderly in 20 years.
Except that a robot would have to be explicitly progammed to rob you. A poorly paid human wouldn't.

Not sure what you mean by "if it comes to that point." Robotic food delivery would be a good option for the elderly and indigent.

That's what I mean. Look at all the malware in the world. Why on earth would anyone implicitly trust a robot?

You trust your car, no? You ever seen a modern car? Because people already trust robots.... it doesn't take much to push em from car to home delivery.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 17:50 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:42:
College student spent 60 hours in cave before rescue, licked walls for water

"Safety protocols? Those are for kids."

Aren't you supposed to use a buddy system when you go spelunking?

On the + side, he probably never had such healthy mineral heavy water intake in his life

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 22, 2017, 23:47 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 19:25:
Now we know where the Equifax CSO is working. She got a job fast.

It's the best security money can't buy ;p

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 22, 2017, 18:30 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 18:05:
"“Some users may notice that the game utilizes nearly 100% of one of their processor cores. This is expected behavior; we intentionally run in this manner so we can react as fast as possible in order to minimize input latency. Users on power-constrained devices, such as laptops and tablets, might want to use a Performance Target of “30 FPS (V-SYNC),” which will reduce processor usage and minimize power consumption.”"

Can you spot the bullshit?

Let me help: "we intentionally run in this manner (...) to minimize input latency (...) “30 FPS (V-SYNC),”"

Because its well known that reducing fps to 30 and enabling V-Sync helps to reduce input lag... NOT. *facepalm*

In these cases it could also mean that higher FPS would reduce internal tick rate. Which would in fact, increase input latency but decrease display latency (latency would still rise though) it's an interesting problem you get in simulations ... all that stuff you are simulating, it's not simulating at 30hz or 60hz, it's simulating at whatever the 1 thread that is sync-forced (not MT-able) can push on 1 core.

Simulations such as these nearly always require their simulation state to sit on 1 thread. Because every element of it is interconnected, you can't simulate grip without simulating track and tire elements, and you can't just "delay" these calculations either. So they sit on 1 thread. What you CAN do is have AI/sound sit on another thread... but much more is really not possible. Racing games, like all sims, are inherently impossible to really multi-thread*

*Yeah, this "but" is big, BUT.. you can do it, if you really wanted, but it'd required a many core CPU (We are talking hundreds of cores, not tens)

If we had such things, simulation quality in these games would skyrocket nearly over night.

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
28. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Sep 22, 2017, 18:08 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 10:13:
Sometimes imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery.

Gonna have to see the game before I judge it A quick glance makes it seem very different from PUBG, reading into it further, it even seems to be just 1 mode of many, the base mode is much more complex than PUBG

So I don't see an issue here, gameplay mechanics aren't protected by anything.

11409 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo