Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10302 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 3, 2016, 15:19 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 13:44:
I'm definitely safer than your average Internet cruiser. I went years without AV on my personal PC without ever getting a virus. I would occasionally download a trial just to do a scan, never found anything. I eventually started using it to protect myself from an accidental exposure -- a virus on a legit site or a friend unknowingly sending me one...

Doubt AV would you protect you from either of these threats, if it's a 0-day exploit in your browser or in a plugin transmitted via ad network then no AV would trigger, only protection is uBlock origin and, far more severe Javascript blockers (that's the stuff that can stealth open new browser windows in Firefox...). And these are the real threats nowadays. I dunno what you get via email, but as I said, use (clean) instance of sandboxie if you want to be really sure Aside from peace of mind, it also gives you an overview of network traffic and where the app puts files... very educational ^^

But what works for me, doesn't work for everyone. And it takes some mental effort to not click on exe files without sandboxie test first...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Wins Big at The Game Awards
3. Re: Overwatch Wins Big at The Game Awards Dec 3, 2016, 13:59 eRe4s3r

I am glad Hideo Kojima finally got his award MGS5 was monumental in scope and effort, and it is incredibly sad that the fucktards at Konami ruined it and were true fucktards in every aspect to boot. That a company can even behave like Konami did and not be hammered down by the law is a Japanese oddness that should be fixed. But probably won't...

And Nolan just made clear that VA's may deserve better pay, but they certainly do not deserve special clauses in their contracts that nobody else can get in the industry.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 3, 2016, 13:25 eRe4s3r

Shows how far ahead google is in AI research Linking applications is an API thing, but keeping a conversational flow within a question/response, that is AI ^^  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer
20. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Trailer Dec 3, 2016, 01:00 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 16:04:
I think it looks pretty awesome. Only thing is that default Femshep's face looks way too smiley for the renegade action she's doing. "I'm going to kill you now!" *BIG BRIGHT SMILE*

But whatever, I never play with default faces anyway.

The best way to murder, pillage and burn, with a *BIG BRIGHT SMILE* and a soothing voice ^^

But yeah, default faces always sucked ^^

17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 3, 2016, 00:23 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 08:42:
Since we are on the topic of security... what do you guys use for anti-virus? I've been using AVG for a couple of years now, but they just updated putting in a once every three days ad-nag, has me looking around...

Eh, depends on your internet usage habits... for most people AV is completely pointless waste of system res and mental sanity ;p Any false positive makes you less careful, and that is imo very dangerous. I only use sandboxie to test exe and installer files I download, everything else i relegate to a monthly scan with malware bytes, so far only got a hidden bitcoin miner once packaged in a legit sourceforge installer of all things. Took all of 10 seconds to kill it entirely with malwarebytes.. so yeah, having that definitely advisable, having AV on the other hand wouldn't have stopped this attack, the bitcoin miner trojans use legit pre-configured miner software packaged in the installer. If AV triggers there, it would trigger on everything (And thus defeat the point of AV)

If you don't click on weird email attachments you are good

But then again I also have a ghosted "pre-internet" version of my system disc that I could reinstall in a few minutes should something go haywire. And my network drives are firstly disconnected when not in use and secondly encrypted. My only gripe would be that an encryption trojan would mess up my savegames.. ;p

And aside that, 2FA ^^

News Comments > Prey Gameplay Video
18. Re: Prey Gameplay Video Dec 3, 2016, 00:13 eRe4s3r

I dunno when you last played System Shock 2, but the game is heavily loot, crafting, research, exploration and combat focused... hence the connection drawn

But imo it is important to remember that this ain't a trailer, it is narrated which means heavily scripted gameplay out of some section of the game that is clearly not anywhere near the beginning, and it's cut heavily too. And as I assume, largely meant to show a few gameplay elements.. or all of them (one hopes not)

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Dec 2, 2016, 13:44 eRe4s3r

descender wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 10:40:
I have a Athlon Phenom II x4 and a GTX 670

I have that same CPU (the 965). Believe it or not, you are probably still GPU limited in most games.

Mine was originally purchased with a GTX285 all those years ago When the DX11 switch came around I picked up a 580, and was using that up until about 2 months ago. I thought it was starting to show some age when the DOOM demo dropped it basically didn't work at all... and I wasn't able to run things like TW3 at more than medium settings. Then one day my 580 mysteriously dies and a friend gives me his old 6GB Titan (he goes through $1000 video cards like water)... and this 8-year-old CPU continues to amaze me. I can run basically every game maxed out again minus GameWorks and unnecessary levels of AA with no stuttering (mind you I'm only aiming for 1080p here). I have Dolphin emulation running smoothly at 8k internal resolution... I keep thinking "oh it's time to upgrade this CPU... but it keeps changing my mind. At this rate, I doubt I'll even push for a CPU upgrade next year.

Well I am definitely noticing a CPU limit in games like Cities: Skylines but yeah, the primary limiting factor is my VRAM in games. It was one of my best upgrades buying this thing It works and works and works, it has survived 3 GPU's (from a 6600 over an ATI card I will never mention* to a 670 GTX...)

But I can feel the limitations of the underlying platform and upgrade is looming just because of that. I will not replace anything in this rig though.. gonna sit there as my 2nd PC for emergencies.

And in my case, no Titan would fit The case wasn't really made for what I am putting it through, heh, but it has great cooling performance.. ^^

News Comments > BATTLETECH Beta Plans
23. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 2, 2016, 13:30 eRe4s3r

chickenboo wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 13:22:
Yup, we're all waiting for a fucking proper Mechwarrior remake. With VR taking off, the time is right. Fuck, can you imagine MW2 Mercenaries with a modern rendering engine and VR???

JUST TAKE MY MONEY

Indeed ^^ But this is one of these hopes that will never come to pass. The one hope we had for this, turned out be MWO....

News Comments > Prey Gameplay Video
4. Re: Prey Gameplay Video Dec 2, 2016, 13:26 eRe4s3r

Getting a system shock wipe more than anything... definitely looks OK imo Whether it'll be fun depends on story and immersion, and how "open" that station really is...  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Beta Plans
7. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 1, 2016, 23:07 eRe4s3r

DrSquick wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 22:33:
nin wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 20:11:
If you'd like a look at what this is going to look like, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

I can't wait to play it...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I was expecting a MechWarrior running the Unreal 5 6 or whatever the latest engine is... Not expecting that :/

Still, a proper modern TBS of this is welcome as well.. maybe we'll live to see Mechwarrior 5

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 21:38 eRe4s3r

swedishfriend wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 14:07:
A fast charger is nowhere near the cost of the car that is just wrong (you are off by an order of magnitude). Charging stations seem to exist in many parking lots attached to big big stores or shopping centers and malls. Electricity is already available all those places and companies make money selling electricity at charging stations so why would these stations not spread along with demand?

A kwh here costs nearly 30ct and a tesla in winter needs around 23kwh per 100km (which is really a HUGE lot)

It's cheaper to fuel your (much cheaper) car with gasoline. Now admittably the situation in Germany is weird, in that we have very high power costs due to this retarded implemented renewable energy initiative... ;p

Anyway, in Germany what you describe is not the situation at all.

Until there is a EV car that needs a lot less than 15kw/h per 100km and costs less than 10k this entire technology is pointless. At least when you have to pay for a kw/h what I have to pay... unless you buy a EV for ideological reasons, there is sadly no economical benefit for doing so. And when there is no economic benefit, well you get what I have in Germany.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 21:09 eRe4s3r

Thing is, with the way electrical vehicles require KW for distance that is a bad deal currently (in Germany, with the high power cost, that is).

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2016, 21:17.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Dec 1, 2016, 20:54 eRe4s3r

Considering I have a Athlon Phenom II x4 and a GTX 670... which is as much a potato as you could envision, I can still play fine on mid settings for the most part, there aren't a lot of games I "can't run" ;p... I am still waiting for VR gen 2 to see what kinda hardware I am really gonna need. Don't feel like the current hardware is up for real VR and the resolution issue and non-dynamic lenses with the rift and vive bothers me too ~.~  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2016, 13:22 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 12:27:
PHJF wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 11:42:

That Chevy is ugly as sin - likely intentional so people don't buy them.

It looks like a slightly more sporty version of existing green vehicles...

It's long been suspected that most of the big car makers intentionally make ugly EVs precisely so people won't buy them and then they get to go to the various govts to tell them their demands for more fuel efficient vehicles are unwarranted as no one buys them. Then you go look at a Tesla and realize the only reason most people don't buy them is the price, but if they could they would. There's zero reason they can't make a smaller cheaper EV sexy too.

That you can't charge anywhere you go is probably the far greater issue. I dunno about your houses, but I have only a standard socket outside, and charging an EV car takes upwards 8 hours with that.

When I go shopping, parking houses et-al, there are ZERO charging stations anywhere. And no, Tesla isn't gonna magically fix that, as long as the charging tech installation is nearly more expensive than the car itself this is literally a dead-end technology. Because you need localized charging for this, you can't have a gas-station charge your car, it takes forever (compared to gas refill) no gas-station has space for that kind of "parked" car, and no gas-station has an industrial grade power link to the grid.

News Comments > Aqua Moto Racing Utopia Released
3. Re: Aqua Moto Racing Utopia Released Dec 1, 2016, 09:21 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 02:56:
Some of the graphics look good, like the water and jet skis, but the humans look god-awful. They don't even look human, but alien. And their textures are terrible. And don't even get me started on the awful physics modeling.

Mobile port

Actually let me quickly check.... ... googling...

Yep, mobile port.

News Comments > Darksiders - Warmastered Edition
7. Re: Darksiders - Warmastered Edition Nov 30, 2016, 07:49 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 02:33:
Heh, I thought this looked familiar. I own it and played it 5 years ago, uninstalling it after 35m. I just didn't like the console style gameplay. At all.

So you skipped Darksiders II , the flat out best 3rd person ARPG ever made (subjective praise*) hampered only slightly by console origins.... ? ;p

Maybe it's something about the visuals or story, but I really loved this dark heaven/hell mood. We had very few games that did anything worthwhile in this whole "old-school" setting.

Anyway, no point in worrying about it. Darksiders 1 was very rough, and some of the later puzzles could easily drive you insane (mainly due to how checkpoints and camera worked). I just liked them both, Darksiders 2 much more than Darksiders 1 though

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Trial This Week
14. Re: Titanfall 2 Free Trial This Week Nov 30, 2016, 07:43 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 00:15:
How could you have missed TF2 being 50% off all Black Friday?

Black Friday isn't actually a thing in Germany ^^ To me it was just a Friday with a good grilled steak. ^^

Ps.: And the steak won over Black Friday shopping handily.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2016, 07:54.

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2016, 23:58 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:32:
Here's to hoping ABP wins all their court battles, wherever they may happen. I don't know how people deal with the Internet without it.

They use uBlock Origin ^^

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Trial This Week
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 29, 2016, 23:36 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 22:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:49:
Maybe when they price it appropriately... (60 currently and no sale) and when they do, MP is gonna be dead. So nah ;/ Burned by Titanfall 1, not gonna do that again. And sure, matches were great fun, for about 3 weeks, then the population dropped like a orbital space rod of doom.

Why bother with a trial when there is no sale for the game?

Well, it has a full (actually well done) SP campaign, and all the future MP maps and mode DLCs are free for everyone. So there's that.

They can't come out with new MP maps fast enough, as the ones in the game right now are kinda bla. They designed them more around titans this time, and less around pilots, which is a bit disappointing. Still lots of fun though, titanfall def has something going for it that no other game does, and that's hard to say about a lot of AAA games.

Yeah the feel in TF is pretty nice, but not 60 nice ;p

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 29, 2016, 22:19 eRe4s3r

Rilcon wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 20:48:
Seriously, it ticks all the boxes for a quote from a model citizen in some dystopic novel. Funny how so many of those take place in the UK...

Well the model citizen could also come from blind trust and even faith that his gov will never betray his trust, because if history has ever shown as anything, it is.. clearly, that we can trust our governments to never run astray. ;p And that elections always bring the right people to the job. And never totally batshit insane crazy people that lead to the deaths of 60 million people.

.... thankfully, back then, this technological surveillance state was not a thing.

10302 Comments. 516 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo