Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11205 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2017, 23:28 eRe4s3r

William Rubin wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 22:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 20:57:
And the best part
"We wanted to create a world where everyone was welcome."

Except, you know, white males
You mean the vast majority of the company? From the founders on down?

Maybe you should think that statement through.

What does the current company employment situation have to do with a policy change they want to implement for future hiring?

The fact of the matter is that there are problems in the IT industry and you won't solve them with dumb initiatives for future hiring such as these. You are just making it far worse because the company climate will become truly toxic.

Also dunno about your abstraction skills but I was clearly not exclusively talking about Blizzard here, I do read the news after all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2017, 20:57 eRe4s3r

diversity and inclusion through racism and sexism (and we have to add on top of this, ideological extortion and fear mongering)

And the best part
"We wanted to create a world where everyone was welcome."

Except, you know, white males

And things don't stop there, if you are a writer you are facing a imbecilic mob of hating assholes everywhere as soon as your story even touches any sensitive issue, and these people will hate you without ever reading the book.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-toxic-drama-of-ya-twitter.html

And as for the whole females in tech thing
http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/08/07/contra-grant-on-exaggerated-differences/

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2017, 21:36.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 11, 2017, 17:40 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 12:59:
IKEAs response.

Dining room tables are usually not supposed to look like you are a redneck fresh out of prison. So cinder = out.

get 4 steel corner brackets, 4 legs, and a wooden surface (and screws, obviously) tada, table is done. (you can also use a full blown mounting bracket for the legs.. but that drives up costs, especially if you want height adjustment)

Anything beyond that is polish (painting the legs, polishing the surface, water proofing, etc)

Even a 10 year old could do this more or less... that said, making it look good with a few features is more work than building a structurally sound table. But that's life.

TL;DR, while I write that, I look at my monumental height adjustable computer desk I got for free from a government agency throwing out old furniture.... I got a lot of my pc room equipment from that 1 random happenstance. And the best part? That furniture was brand new, came out of the factory around 2 weeks earlier. Insane luck probably.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER DLC and Free Update Released
1. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER DLC and Free Update Released Aug 11, 2017, 02:54 eRe4s3r

Sadly Norsca DLC monster hunts are extremely buggy...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 22:56 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:47:
Hoop wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:03:
I had Logitechs for years as my hands are large.
Went to replace one 7 or so years ago & all they had were Razer Deathadders that suited my size so thought what the hell.
Best mouse ever.
With my recent upgrades I have been trying to find an excuse to replace the same said mouse but it's as good as the day I bought it, amazing for it's light construction. The only advantage in going to the new Deathadder is two more buttons behind the scroll wheel which could be useful in BF1.
I recently looked at Mumbas & other brands but if you look at reviews from Deathadder owners there is no going back.
Mouse pads play a big part in the performance, I'm loath to replace my worn older version Razer Goliathius "fast" surface. I bought it with the mouse & it's basicly just an unstitched 5mm pad of wetsuit material. Now they are stitched, thinner & too slick, people complain of the stitching affecting their wrist in long gaming sessions so I'm sticking with what works.
The mouse & mouse pad can affect your wrist, arm & neck health dramatically.

After years of using trackballs of various design, I don't understand why more people don't use them. Personally, I can't stand using a regular mouse, and I wonder how other people put up with them for so long, especially wired ones. Pick-up-and-drag is annoying and tiresome on the wrist. And if you use a mousepad, and you're always running off the edge... The worst!

? On a good mouse-pad + mx518 / g400 (and death-adder too) 2cm movement covers the entire screen..... you can never run out of mouse-pad, unless you play on a beer bottle or something....

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
49. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 20:52 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 12:55:
Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 10:05:
I'm sure some people are refusing to buy it because cliffyb has been a giant dick against PC players.

Some are refusing to buy it because it looks too twitchy or other gameplay related reasons.

I'm pretty sure most people refuse to buy it because they have Overwatch already.

Overwatch (and PUBG, h/t Timmeh) is the crux of the issue. When you make a character based shooter, the characters have to be unique, identifiable, and memorable. I'm not really getting that from LB. And the game had better be polished to a T if you're going to go up against Blizzard.

Lastly, I feel like their ad campaign was lacking.

What AD campaign? I haven't seen anything about any of their apparently "unique" characters. Or at least I can't remember it (which might be worse)

News Comments > Overwatch Getting Deathmatch
3. Re: Overwatch Getting Deathmatch Aug 10, 2017, 19:53 eRe4s3r

This is a really strange decision.... why not add some story mode or persistent PvE mode instead?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 17:29 eRe4s3r

I still have a 518MX refurb and would not trade it for the world.... but time is running out for that thing ;/ Razer mice GAVE me RSI originally, so yeah. I can't handle tiny edgy mice, my hand needs to rest properly on the mouse and especially thumb has to rest in the little pocket.  

News Comments > Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game
18. Re: Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game Aug 10, 2017, 08:27 eRe4s3r

hoolaparara wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 07:57:
It's funny really how people use to talk that as a private company Valve would be better than the money hungry public companies, yet if anything Valve is worse, they produce nothing but crack style games with nickle and dime drops, hats etc. Sure they don't shovel out sequels before they fail and then can IP... because they don't produce anything creative anymore (except stuff from economics class).

That could have been true though, if Valve hadn't made Steam and manage to accidentally become the defacto monopoly for PC digital sale and distribution with a dude in charge that apparently doesn't know how to BE in charge.

News Comments > Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game
16. Re: Valve Teases Artifact: The Dota Card Game Aug 10, 2017, 07:50 eRe4s3r

Valve as it is now isn't even a AAA game developer anymore. They have no writers, no creative directors. Enough to do a card game recycling DOTA 2 art assets they have laying around, but not enough to do a real game with a story, with quality art direction and a real budget.

You need only look at the extremely slow progress of the actual steam client to realize that something rotten is going on there.

But hey, I will judge that card game on it's merits, we'll see when it releases ,) Gwent taught me that a big name behind something does not mean that a good card game comes out at the end. While ES Online for example was quite a surprise to me, pretty fun game and if you don't try-hard the quests it is really fun just for the story missions and challenges that brings.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 9, 2017, 20:14 eRe4s3r

Looks fake, unless you telling me a cheap ass camera like that doesn't have the rolling shutter effect.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2017, 15:39 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 08:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 02:25:
Ars Technica releasing the name of a not or not yet CONVICTED suspect violates the press codex.

Just saying, if we did the same to the author he would probably not be amused....

If the FBI released the name, which I'm assuming they did, doesn't that make it public knowledge?

Well technically the FBI also violated the press codex, since by releasing a press statement they fall under it. My point being, If someone else breaks the law (Although to be fair, maybe in the USA the press codex is not law), it doesn't make it ok to break it as well.

In Germany the dude could sue literally every SINGLE publication that clean-text's his name. And in court, this would get him major benefits as well, since judges tend to REALLY dislike if a suspect is pre-judged by media. Not to mention it makes jury decisions nearly impossible.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 9, 2017, 15:33 eRe4s3r

The best joke is that the response by the CEO didn't even understand the memo (from an intellectual standpoint) related to psychology and the 5-axis theorem not surprising, but still.

Apparently I can't expect CEO's of a billion $ company to have higher education.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2017, 02:25 eRe4s3r

Ars Technica releasing the name of a not or not yet CONVICTED suspect violates the press codex.

Just saying, if we did the same to the author he would probably not be amused....

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released
27. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Released Aug 9, 2017, 02:11 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 00:03:
If the whole permadeath thing turns out to not be true, then these devs are really freaking dumb. Why announce it's in there if it isn't, because all it does is make people NOT BUY YOUR GAME for something that's maybe not even true.

Way to kill yourselves there, fellas. Brilliant thinking. I'm sure your marketing peon is sitting there wrenching his shoulder askew trying to pat himself on the back.

Well if people intentionally try to get killed and fail to get perma-killed you can assume it's not ever gonna affect you in the actual game, I mean on auto-difficulty you'd be hard-pressed to ever even die aside maybe from misunderstanding one of the area puzzles or encountering the game breaking bug that Jim Sterlin had.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2017, 23:28 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 22:37:
Or maybe store your ammo in a more secure location that can't be destroyed by a commercial drone.

You do realize that ammo and fuel in wartime is generally stored in FOB's, right?

And you do realize that a swarm of commercial drones can drop 20+ thermite nades from upwards 150m with 100% accuracy, right? That kinda firepower is enough to kill a tank.

1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 8, 2017, 22:20 eRe4s3r

Gee, you replace a moderated system with one without moderation, 20 times more crap on Steam

Success... I guess.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: How AI could help you watch even more TV Aug 8, 2017, 21:48 eRe4s3r

Bill Borre wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 20:45:
I think a true artificial intelligence would advise you against watching tv.

We are true intelligences and still watching TV and laze about.. so. yeah The singularity will be different, but until then AI is gonna be a joke.

And that is still decades away.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2017, 21:27 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 21:17:
You'd have to be dumb to be flying your drone over a military base. You'd have to be double dumb to fly it low enough that any of them could get a bead on it. Its not like they are going to setup a flak engagement zone up there to get a tiny quadcopter.

The real reason for this is that the huge ammo dump explosion in the Ukraine was done via russian thermite grenades mounted on consumer drones, 12 of them or something.... they shot down a few, some failed, but some got in, and only 1 really needed to hit something for it to blow all the ammo and cause massive devastation in the area.... imo shooting down all consumer drones should be standard procedure for all military bases and public places, but maybe I am too radical here. Drone is fine in the boonies, but over any important infrastructure it might just as easily be a terror attack in disguise.

Wonder if we will soon see automated defenses everywhere against drones, because it will take exactly 1 such executed terror attack and the shit-show starts.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Passes 10M Players
2. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Passes 10M Players Aug 8, 2017, 18:31 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 13:08:
*Cumulative player count includes free trial accounts.

Does it mean accounts or players?

11205 Comments. 561 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo