Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 9870 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 19, 2016, 09:35 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 09:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 00:43:

In German we even have a phrase for that. "Nacht der langen Messer"

Really? How many trials did Hitler organise after that night? Oh yeah, none. Which is more likely? That Erdogan himself staged that coup, organizing a conspiracy of thousands who are now willingly facing trial for him, as convenient scapegoats? Or that an outside power with ties to Turkey's elites financed and organized the coup, something that has been factually documented in the Middle East since the Ottoman Empire...

Yeah Im gonna go ahead and safely use Occam's razor on this one.

Fair enough, fact is history will be the judge... and history would show you that what Erdogan is doing now is 1:1 what the NSDAP was doing, albeit over a much longer time period. So if we actually see 20000 fair trials then I take it back.. but somehow I really doubt that In fact I am pretty sure those 3000 judges will never be seen again...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 19, 2016, 09:25 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 04:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 00:43:
Task wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 23:13:
20,000 arrested. Would have needed pre-planned arrest lists for such nonsense.

“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.” - George Orwell

To be honest, to me Turkey isn't a democracy and never was. And now the masks are falling and Erdogan shows his true face. That of someone who wants to become Sultan.

And why should you worry? Because this is *EXACTLY* how Nazi Germany came to be. Albeit in case of Turkey this now happens 20 times faster.

Remember, Hitler was also "elected" but it was anything but a democratic vote. In an atmosphere of fear and oppression, of violent mob rule and murders of political enemies, there can be no such thing as democracy.

Look, I have no love of Erdogan, but comparing him to Hitler is not useful. Although Turkey has one of the more formidable militaries in the world, they're not going to start steamrolling their neighbors or start programs of ethnic cleansing.

And while he is hated by vast swaths of the Turkish population, even the opposition turned out in support of Erdogan and against the coup.

As for arresting 20,000, that could be as simple as "Group A opposed us, so arrest them all. Same for groups B, D, and E." In a country of 75M, 20K is not very many.

I compared the currently employed methods to how Nazi Germany came to be, as in, the system that lead to mass oppression and hard repression against any opposition and which cemented the 1 men rule...

And no ethnic cleansing? Kurds would disagree, very strongly or do you think it's just an accident weapon shipments to IS took place who just randomly happened to be fighting Kurds at the time?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2016, 02:42 eRe4s3r

Alamar wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 15:45:
I've gone through a few chairs over the last few decades, and I have never had one where I could pull the cylinder out... I have turned the thing upside down, put the star-pattern-stand across a few tables and hammered the cylinder... It's wedged in very tightly...

Also, the problem with WD-40 is that it's not so useful when the liquid is also unable to get in between the pieces wedged together...

So in short... Good luck ; )

Nah you don't need luck, just a really big hammer and a long enough wrench. In this case the "torque" really is all that matters. And small wrench ain't gonna cut it for the most part.

WD40 indeed does not get everywhere when it's really wedged together, but without WD40 it doesn't just "slide out" once you overcame that first blockade. WD40 prevents it from wedging in again after the hit... which can make all the difference.

That said, it really is not "easy" .. it's just "simple" Simple because all you need is force and a replacement cylinder. Once out, new one slides in and done.

But yeah, getting the old one out.. is a challenge sometimes. On my office chair I used excessive violence and it slid out after the 2nd hit. But it sounded like I was demolishing the building or something.. had to use a lot of force in that 2nd swing. Neighbor even came over worrying I might have had an accident, we had a few good laughs once he saw what it was.

TL;DR
overcoming friction can be quite a hassle

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 19, 2016, 00:54 eRe4s3r

mag wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 21:34:
dubfanatic wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 16:22:
dangerman77 wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 18:15:
"1000%" sure sounds a lot more impressive than the actual number of "just $80000".

Not to mention she leans anti-science, anti-vaccine, pro-homeopathy, and completely bombed a reddit AMA two months ago.

It's hilarious how half of my Facebook feed, which is all the I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE crowd is throwing their weight behind Stein. Of course when you realize that leftists have no principles and base their entire worldview on ideology it makes perfect sense.

???????

ideology : the set of ideas and beliefs of a group or political party

principle

: a moral rule or belief that helps you know what is right and wrong and that influences your actions

: a basic truth or theory : an idea that forms the basis of something

An ideology is... a group's set of principles.

An ideology is a groups set of principles. But your own principles are yours. It is very much possible to have different principles than the ideology you are subscribed to. In worst case described as doublethink

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 19, 2016, 00:43 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 23:13:
20,000 arrested. Would have needed pre-planned arrest lists for such nonsense.

“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.” - George Orwell

To be honest, to me Turkey isn't a democracy and never was. And now the masks are falling and Erdogan shows his true face. That of someone who wants to become Sultan.

And why should you worry? Because this is *EXACTLY* how Nazi Germany came to be. Albeit in case of Turkey this now happens 20 times faster.

Remember, Hitler was also "elected" but it was anything but a democratic vote. In an atmosphere of fear and oppression, of violent mob rule and murders of political enemies, there can be no such thing as democracy.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2016, 10:06 eRe4s3r

That arm deal is likely gonna lead to a massive increase in licensing costs and thus maybe device costs. Let's hope there is a competitor emerging otherwise this isn't good news at all.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial
8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Announces New Expansion & Free Trial Jul 18, 2016, 09:23 eRe4s3r

My unqualified opinion is that it ain't worth the time for "free" Especially since, as someone else already said, while you can play solo for free and it will make you wish it was a SP game... you are so extremely limited in free mode that even the tiniest interaction with other human players, which might at times be necessary for your enjoyment, is near impossible or *extremely* restricted. So you get a few kinda interesting stories, but don't expect any substantial production quality.

Also btw, unlike blues text there may be 87 million characters, but there sure as hell are not 87 million players When I played (solo) I encountered maybe 10 other players as a whole during the entire time.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 18, 2016, 06:32 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 15:11:
Huge numbers of Bernie supporters switched to Jill Stein. Holy shiiiit. Donations jumped 1000% in the two days after the Berns bowing down to Cersei "Clinton" Lannister. Endorsed by Cornel West, Vigo, epic Green time. Time for U.S. establishment to take a fkn hike.

In your analogy, Jill Stein would be House Mormont...

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: What media companies don’t want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 17, 2016, 12:30 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 12:12:
What media companies don’t want you to know about ad blockers.

After careful consideration, I've come to a new realization about this debate...

The advertisers argument that we are blocking their ads is upside down. Its more about wanting to prevent us from not ALLOWING them to use our bandwidth.

Its the main concern I have about ads, always been. Ever since I was on 56k, up to now on a limited 20gb monthly data allowance on my home PC. On 56k it was about speed. Pages loaded many times faster. On the current connection its about the data cap, I can't allow advertisers to freeload on my data allowance, its like I'm paying for their advertisement. And I refuse to allow that kind of unauthorized leeching.

Make ads data cap exempt and I'll re-examine my position, until then, I refuse to allow them to make me pay for viewing their ads.

20gb a month on a home line is... really shitty ISP service imo... no chance to change?

Aside that, blocking is malware protection on top of reducing the time and thus bandwidth it takes for sites to load

News Comments > Saturday Pokémon Go Mobilization
6. Re: Saturday <strike>Pokémon Go</strike> Mobilization Jul 17, 2016, 12:10 eRe4s3r

Luke wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 13:21:
Pokemon Go players go mad as rare Pokemon appears in park

Not any different from your average Justin Bieber concert... each youth culture has their own craziness ,)

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 17, 2016, 12:05 eRe4s3r

DRM free EA games? The sky is falling...  

News Comments > Scrap Mechanic Workshop Support
2. Re: Scrap Mechanic Workshop Support Jul 16, 2016, 07:29 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 21:22:
I was just out at a place where they had 2 enormous - like 20ft tall 40 ft long - T-Rexs and 6ft Raptor - made out of scrap car parts. They were impressive. Particularly when you realize the patience is must have taken to put them together. In fact they have a website with shots of the beasts. They also have these huge Autobots made of scrap there too. Amazing store!

Primitive Designs

That's a neat sculpture and.. you can't actually do this in this game ;p

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 16, 2016, 07:27 eRe4s3r

What if the player doesn't show any reaction at all?  

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Adds Women
9. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Adds Women Jul 16, 2016, 07:11 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 15:17:
Echo Red Park wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 15:11:
And unofficial Farmer's Daughter add-on mod "coming" in 3...2...1...

Followed by the Tijuana Donkey DLC. Hi-O!

Followed by the "women crops" where you can grow your own women... (worst business idea ever.. ,p)

Sorry, I see myself out

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2016, 09:02 eRe4s3r

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 03:00:
So, wait, it`s the main dev who`s at fault - because he overlooked some legal detail? And the douche who took advantage is actually a hero? Strange world we live in....though maybe not really, seeing as this is exactly what Trump would do.

Maybe it's my jaded view as freelancer but I do what the contract states... and if the contract states that none of the artwork transfers to whoever pays me... then it doesn't.. although my morals would stop me from abusing that, meaning I would give him the artworks, but I would happily reuse them for my next projects and maybe even make them available for free ;p That said, the kudos are for his balls to pull this shit, not for his morals (which I think are completely gone missing).

And in my freelancing work, I've never seen a contract like the one in this story.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2016, 08:41 eRe4s3r

MT Silver wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 04:36:
The part you're missing is that he spent a month working on his new game before telling his partner. A month that he was paid 9000 dollars for. Of backers money.

If I pretended to go to work for a month while doing another job (direct competition nonetheless!) and refusing to give the money back as well as demand that all the work I have done for them in the past be stripped out of the game well... The word 'sabotage' comes to mind.
As well as 'scam' and 'unethical'.

I think a lawyer should have a look at this case.

A lawyer should have been involved in writing the contract... now it's too late.

If your contract allowed you to do that kind of shit though... would you really not do it? Believe me, I have worked dozens of freelance gfx jobs, not a single developer ever was stupid enough to even offer some absurd clauses like that. Well, a few wanted profit sharing instead of proper payments for completed milestones, I declined and passed on these jobs as I have my experience and these kind of deals always turn sour. But even those few special cases never would have allowed someone to have a "renege" clause in the contract that allows him to take ALL of his art with him when he... what, steps back from the contract? What freelance contract even allows this? I never had a contract where I could just say "well sorry, but I don't wanna anymore" which would translate to me saying "sorry, but I don't want to get my money"

And if he was employed with a real employment contract then the artwork rights would not be his. So the main developer fucked up big time here and no lawyer is gonna fix that. That money and those artworks are gone. If the contract was really worded as the artist says ;p Since we haven't seen the contract, we have to take the 2 bitching parties word.. and I doubt either side is telling the whole story.

And btw, my kudos was for the artist balls to pull a stunt like that.. nothing more. Personally I think this is a scam, but as I said, if the contract did not say "Ownership transfers on payment" then the main developer is fucked and the artist is legally in the clear.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 14, 2016, 19:14 eRe4s3r

To be honest calling this a squabble might be overstating things. Contract allowed him to cancel and take his art with him, OPTIONALLY renegotiate a different revenue agreement and if not, then not....

He did just that. Case closed. The one who should be flamed is the retarded main developer who actually let such a clause be written in a freelance contract

So I have to actually give kudos to the artist for pulling this. Well, even though nobody sane would contract him ever again after this

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2016, 15:31 eRe4s3r

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 11:54:
He was talking specifically to the sites (like the verge and polygon) that rushed to release clickbait and not properly report on the facts. At the time he disclosed that the content in question was in fact promoted.

It doesn't even matter, because 2014 there were no disclosure rules for paid sponsorships on youtube. A fact that any decent journalist would have noticed by googling for 1 minute. Even so, he did disclose it. So the actual news was "Youtuber ran paid promotion and disclosed it".. well shit, doesn't really work as clickbait now does it...

I hate these gossip mags

News Comments > Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up
38. Re: Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up Jul 14, 2016, 05:49 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 15:02:
They have very good reasons for not allowing this, as it would definitively give players an unfair advantage that is not related only to the FOV.

The point that people are missing to this entirely, is that this game does not function like most other weapon-based FPS games. This one is ability based.

The Ult of MC is the only ability that works like this. Even soldier aimbot does only work near targeting reticule and you have to actually kinda aim there as well... so it's not like that would take a giant change... target selection for MC only what player targets in the spin-up (which would give that ability actually some skill element which it currently entirely lacks)

News Comments > Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up
37. Re: Overwatch 21:9 Support Follow-up Jul 14, 2016, 02:13 eRe4s3r

Razumen wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 23:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 20:42:
Razumen wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 18:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 18:31:
Razumen wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 11:16:
descender wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 11:09:
Increased FOV lets you see more to your sides without turning increasing your situational awareness. It doesn't improve your aim.

Increased your situational awareness can be argued as an advantage, whether it's unfair or not, that's a bit more contentious.

It makes aiming harder. And if you don't have relative fov adjustment on "zoom" weapons it also makes those weapons zoom *less* so there is no advantage. In fact too high FOV often breaks first person aim entirely, only BF4 (The only REAL shooter currently) as adaptive fov when you have a zoom scope or just merely "aim down sighs" allowing you to actually see as far as someone on a 4:3/5:4 screen would.

Not when switching between a 16:9 and 21:9 screen, there would be no real difference in character sizes on screen, or zoom levels for that matter, because you'd only be gaining horizontal screen space, thus there are no changes to aiming...

In Overwatch you do not gain horizontal screen space though thanks to their idiotic "FOV / Aspect Ratio" implementation. On 21:9 you are zoomed in more, meaning you have to move your mouse pointer more than someone at 16:9.

Sorry, I meant if they implemented it correctly.

The joke is, if they *had* implemented AR/FOV correctly, this wouldn't even be a news worthy topic since they would support all resolutions and all aspect ratios and you would be perfectly right in that 21:9 does not give any advantage for aiming ;p

I just don't get it... screen choice is not something a game should balance around so it makes no sense why Blizzard of all the devs now feels the need to do this. Not to mention implementing 21:9 in this absurd manner and still not properly supporting 5:4 and 4:3 either... however rare those resolutions might be nowadays.

It's a skill game, and resolution choice won't do a damn thing to increase or decrease someones skills. Just.. absurd

9870 Comments. 494 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo