Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10836 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2017, 07:11 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 02:05:
When you piss off two thirds of the country, and they happen to be the smarter two thirds, they're going to be extremely motivated to find ways of blocking your stupid crap.

On the other hand this is quite amusing to watch from the outside

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 4, 2017, 19:46 eRe4s3r

Does this mean no more absurdly off-topic comment threads on IMDB movie pages? ;p

News Comments > Husk Released
4. Re: Husk Released Feb 4, 2017, 19:42 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 4, 2017, 18:50:
Anyone else annoyed by this growing trend of entertainment media that uses what might be considered controversial themes feeling like they have to put in a PSA disclaimer?

To be honest I find the themes touched here neither of these things ,) Fantasy monsters, boring office rooms and blurry DOF does not make down-to-earth psychological thriller. Reading the steam reviews is more elevating than anything this game offers, but for the 1st real game of this developer it's a decent effort, it is however not a decent horror game. Especially not compared to the behemoth next to it, the slightly mediocre but otherwise pretty decent RE7

We actually have absolutely zero truly controversial titles on Steam. None of them touching anything of fundamental import. Unless you call that mediocre top-down shooter with brutality as it's "thing" controversial.. when it was just laughable over the top and absurd

There was maybe that 1 historical accurate game with the asylum, the name escapes me, that was (to me) shocking on a fundamental level, because I had truly no idea that situations in Italy during that time were this utterly nightmarish for just slightly "odd" personalities in psychiatric facilities

But aside that? Controversial things on Steam? Nah...

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Feb 4, 2017, 08:47 eRe4s3r

Shok wrote on Feb 4, 2017, 07:57:
Technically you would need a dfs based raid to combat bitrot. Just saving to an 8tb drive doesn't guarantee there won't be issues.

Of course, entropy makes sure that no storage is for eternity, but a HDD you use for archiving of this content that you back-up and archive and regularly integrity check does give you options how to handle such volume of data, 8tb of storage would be an incredibly boat-load of CD's and DVD's, and it'd be a nightmare to handle them as anything other than images. I've had severe disc-rot on my HL1 cd and barely saved it as an image on my NAS, same for my BG2 cd's (all 6 of them) and nowadays I have BG2 even backed up as a file archive with all the weidu mods I'd ever want, to prevent link-rot ruining a potential replay

If you have the space for it, it is also advisable to split your archives, and your backups, making sure it's seeded with newer drives as you go along.

My music archive is on my NAS and back up is working fine on that, even survived a disc failure already. So I am not hugely worried. But when a CD fails, it fails hard with no recovery, aside from the piracy avenue to get disc images. But this can end with link-rot too.

We have a big problem retaining digital history nowadays, and there doesn't seem to be any good way to combat it yet. The cloud sure as hell isn't a solution, aside from the fact that uploading 8tb would take me 4+ years and likely a dozen angry letters from my ISP.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 4, 2017, 03:52 eRe4s3r

This is why I have all my favorite games imaged, I mean, seriously, who even cares about discs, when you have 8tb drives that can literally hold your entire game collection?  

News Comments > Stellaris: Utopia Announced
8. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Announced Feb 3, 2017, 14:59 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 13:34:
Fion wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 13:14:
If your number is higher than their number, you win.

Agreed, that is the biggest issue with the game. Paradoxically there are a lot of Space4X players who don't enjoy combat, and they are fine with it being so simple.

I wouldn't mind if combat were just a fancy "us vs them + stats + orders + admirals" window like in HoI games.... the problem is that it is neither as complex as combat is in HOI (even though it's just numbers and text being simulated in those) nor as simple and pretty to look at as the rock paper scissor streamlined "card" game in Endless Space.

I had wished they would have done something smarter, like fleets would be protecting the border projected into space and all we do with that is tell where the regional fleet HQ is, who the staff is, and what their orders of operation are. And in case of war, we would just tell them war goals and they "do their stuff"

After all, what I am in Stellaris? Kitchen maid, having to order everything manually? Or leader of an empire... the entire macro/micro split makes little sense.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 3, 2017, 13:26 eRe4s3r

LiTh wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 13:11:
You guys know you can get paid to do this in real life right?

Watching youtube "let's plays" of real-life truck drivers driving in real life, a truck, I would say.. no thanks. (funny that there isn't s word for real-life work streams) Maybe we ought to call it a "Let's work" instead of Let's play

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico
5. Re: American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico Feb 3, 2017, 12:58 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 11:25:
If I drive far enough south will I see a wall?

Probably not, ETS2 would have to remove the entire UK if they wanted to keep trade situations realistic in 2017+ ;p

News Comments > More Overwatch Cheaters Banned
6. Re: More Overwatch Cheaters Banned Feb 3, 2017, 12:51 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 10:27:
Maybe it'll get the "PC Bang" proprietors to monitor their PCs more closely. I assume it costs them to keep having to buy new accounts.

They are actually heavily monitored if rumors are true, hence why it hits exactly the right people. PC Bang was profiting extra by providing cheats for extra cash from what the underground says. Otherwise that netcafe allowed downloads and installation of stuff that persisted through sessions which would be even scarier.

5. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Announced Feb 3, 2017, 09:20 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 09:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 04:03:
Which makes the fact that the political/diplomacy overhaul isn't mentioned all the more weird. It seems this DLC goes for the low hanging fruit first ;/

No, because the Utopia DLC and the Banks update are separate from one another.

Ah

News Comments > Diluvion Released
4. Re: Diluvion Released Feb 3, 2017, 07:23 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 02:12:
Seems to get hammered pretty hard for the controls. Downloading now and will post some feedback.

Has some of the hands down *worst* submarine controls ever... but the real issue is the camera, and how combat works (aka, it flat out does not)

Ah, how long for a game like this with simulation depth like Silent Hunter at least, that would make exploration truly interesting, remove all the patroling and waiting and hoping to find enemies, add exploration and first person, nice flooding/pump simulations and you'd have a winner.. sigh

3. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Announced Feb 3, 2017, 04:03 eRe4s3r

Which makes the fact that the political/diplomacy overhaul isn't mentioned all the more weird. It seems this DLC goes for the low hanging fruit first ;/  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: OpenOffice Feb 2, 2017, 13:58 eRe4s3r

Nullity wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 13:36:
So what happens if I install the game, then upgrade my video card a year later? Will the game stop working?

What if I format my PC and reinstall Windows when I upgrade the video card. Can I no longer install/play the game at all?

Hopefully upon first install/activation, it gets tied to your GFE account and the video card no longer matters, otherwise, this is going to cause a bunch of problem.

You get steam keys from these promotion keys, after you converted them, and I think nowadays that only even works if you linked your steam account.

News Comments > EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games
11. Re: EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games Feb 2, 2017, 13:47 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 10:42:
This cross-market parallel trade complaint is a pile of shit. That's for physical goods.

If there are countries where your software has to be sold for VERY cheap, or it won't sell at all, then you sell it cheap there and reap only goodwill, no profit. But if that country's residents decide to turn it into a business, selling those game keys to people in countries where they CAN afford the normal price, then it makes the game worth so little that the game publisher would have been better off not making the game.

Unlike physical goods, there's no effort or difficulty in "moving" the product. That's usually what keeps systems like this in check.

I'm sure there will be plenty of you who say I'm against you being able to get a good deal. I'm not. But I AM concerned that you don't see the bigger picture, which is a collapse of AAA game houses. No one's gonna make a game like Uncharted 4 if it'd only sell for $5.

People on this forum loathe F2P games, and then complain about region blocking key usage. If region blocking is taken away, everything will become a f2p micro transaction shitball. Not immediately! But within 5 years of it.

I am more concerned that you don't seem to be even aware what the original goal of the EG (now known as EU) actually is. And if you still wonder why EU moves against PUBLISHERS and STEAM for geo-blocking, then let me inform you that GMG, Origin or B.Net do NOT geo-block for anything within the EU (Steam does, for EU1 and EU2 pricing regions which was already considered illegal when it was implemented and is what pissed the EU off majorly, Steam was for nearly 5 years in gross violation of the founding principle of EU trade law, steam brushed the many mentions of this in their own forums back then aside)

So this is for EU citizens and our rights as customers and citizens of the EU. It's got nothing to do with geoblocking for Russian/Chinese or whatever keys. And you can still ask for higher or lower prices, you just can't geo-block to differentiate keys WITHIN THE EU Which is how it should be.

6. OpenOffice Feb 2, 2017, 09:07 eRe4s3r

Meanwhile, no mention at all of Excel Import<->Export issues, which makes this software sadly completely unusable for work

5.3 still has them, so if you use Office and have to import tables all the time, don't bother ^^ I know it's a pain in the ass, reverse engineering, tons of trial and error, but seriously, CALC can STILL not import (old!) excel tables properly.

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
27. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 08:10 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 00:19:
long terms success of virtual reality

What are they babbling about? There's no long-term success at all.

1. VR hasn't reached broad market penetration.
2. VR is a niche product.
3. No killer app.
4. Expensive entry cost.
5. Unproven technology. Mostly "beta" and "early access."
6. Aimlessness (Is it for gamers? Does it have a medical application? Can teachers use it? etc.)
7. Costly R&D.
8. Horrible ROI.

In the past, I opined that VR needs to produce something within a year that becomes "so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology." If it doesn't happen, VR will fade and die just like any other new tech. There's only so much money Facebook, HTC, and others can dump into VR before it becomes a costly failure. The shareholders are going to demand something soon.

The Internet took well over a decade to gain ground, and nearly 20 years before it gained ANY traction, despite obvious uses...

What is really needed though is a 2nd gen of VR goggles that somehow offload the majority of computations or at least offer image quality and lenses (where are adaptable bio-lenses????) improvements.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division Feb 1, 2017, 09:46 eRe4s3r

Dev wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 09:15:
For a moment I read this as Consumer Support division, which would probably help them out more than this.

Gotta agree But I don't think I'd ever want consumer support from Activision....

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2017, 09:29 eRe4s3r

For a CPU that's supposed to come out in less than 50 days there sure isn't a lot of tangible info about it...  

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 1, 2017, 05:53 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 00:41:
LG 5K display must be kept at least 2 meters away from Wi-Fi routers.

LOL, so focused on the 5K part that they forgot about the EM shielding part.

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

The best part is that a lot more things are WIFI routers, not just the actual routers, but also the cards you have in your laptop or pc, or the tablet you hold in your hand, and even your smart-phone, all are wifi routers. Heck, if it isn't shielded, then even thunderstorms and solar flares will cause infinite random disruptions.

Quality product for sure /s it was however made by LG, and maybe that tells you where not to buy anything, ever. ^^

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jan 31, 2017, 04:50 eRe4s3r

Oh.. my That was truly and absolutely hilarious (again)  

10836 Comments. 542 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo