Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12727 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 12, 2018, 19:38 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 21:10:
https://haveibeenpwned.com

How long until HackNotice gets pwned?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch League on ESPN
13. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 19:36 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 18:24:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 17:10:
Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 01:08:
eSports ISN'T sports, and it will NEVER be a sport regardless of what anyone says. It's not a physical activity.

As a former DotA player that can no longer stay competitive due to aging reactions times and probably the onset of crippling arthritis I wholeheartedly disagree.

"Sport includes all forms of competitive physical activity or games which, through casual or organized participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators."

I assume most of you are intelligent enough to know what makes sports, sports. eSports is NOT sports and putting them on ESPN doesn't change the definition of what it is. It just makes ESPN silly and foolish for trying to create something that isn't a sport, a sport.

So you mind control your mouse and keys? Hand eye coordination is clear as day a physical ability, skill and activity.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2018, 19:22 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 11:57:
He wants to raise awareness about privacy 'blah blah blah I swear I'm not doing this for evil', but the people paying attention are the ones who want to use it as a weapon against their foes. This would be a great topic for an ethics class.

Reading this interview a name popped in my head, who said quite a few of the same things verbatim, 1946

Josef Mengele

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Fighting a toxic Steam community - and winning. Jul 12, 2018, 11:44 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 08:39:
MT Silver wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 04:19:
"Just having that visible presence of moderation, knowing that someone was deleting threads and banning people, turned it around in about a week," Carroll said. "People start to self-moderate. They tell each other off. They start reporting things.

Incidentally, this is the subject matter of a little book called '1984' that you may have heard of. It wasn't meant to be an instruction manual though.

Having some enforced rules and a level of decorum is a far cry from complete submission to and control from authority.

Doing what's written in a contract is also not submission to authority... all in all a pretty strange post by MT Silver

News Comments > Overwatch League on ESPN
5. Re: Overwatch League on ESPN Jul 12, 2018, 05:29 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 01:08:
There are MANY other activities I would classify as sports. Parkour, horseshoe, cricket, croquet, badminton, tetherball, squash, and so forth. eSports ISN'T sports, and it will NEVER be a sport regardless of what anyone says. It's not a physical activity. It's a mental exercise and belongs in the same category as games like chess, checkers, and risk. Games of strategy and out-thinking opponents. But I guess it's much easier to get ad revenue from the glitz of an eSports tournament than a chess tournament (frankly, I'd rather watch a chess tournament).

If Poker tournaments can exist, so can vidya game tournaments

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 12, 2018, 03:57 eRe4s3r

Who'd have thought.... forum moderation makes a difference
Also, you swim with sharks you get bitten by sharks... old saying

News Comments > IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings
22. Re: IDGA Urges Social Media Guidelines After ArenaNet Firings Jul 12, 2018, 03:45 eRe4s3r

nomoreshite wrote on Jul 11, 2018, 07:45:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 20:07:
Icewind wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 19:11:
Simple fact is that Jessica Price was warned before in a previous job that she shouldn't mouth off on social media, but she did. Multiple times.

Another fact is that she brags about blocking people, but instead of blocking the person she argued with, she continued arguing with him over a couple days.

Also, if you read the logs, you'd see that the person she was arguing with was very respectful and understanding, she is just a narcissist that felt slighted.

https://twitter.com/Haunted_Backlog/status/1016112224669011968

Did you bother to read the logs? He was being very condescending. There was zero respect in any of his threads and his lack of understanding was why it got out of hand. Granted she should have never responded and let it get out of hand like that.

yeah we can read, not sure you can, if that's what you think the log says, either that or you didn't bother to read it all.

Speaking of reading, I can't even click on the archive.fo links
"Invalid Host name" - DNS does not resolve

Does that go to actual sites or am I left wondering what is behind those links?

News Comments > Darksiders III in November
7. Re: Darksiders III in November Jul 11, 2018, 06:03 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:08:
MacLeod wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 09:11:
I hope it plays more like the first game than the second one... I honestly couldn't make it through the second game. Didn't like it.

The setting in the second game was my biggest problem but that didn't stop me from finishing it at all. Setting the bulk of it on an alien world was kind of pointless and didn't leave much for the player to relate to.

And here I was enjoying the hell setting with the various tombs more than anything else. Give me a Lilith encounter and I am happy. The game lost itself in the fiddly tombs near the end though. Still finished it, twice (remaster and original)

And especially the angel segment is imo mindblowingly awesome. Reminds me of how I wanted Diablo 3 to be...

News Comments > Defiance 2050 Launches
4. Re: Defiance 2050 Launches Jul 11, 2018, 05:58 eRe4s3r

34% on Steam, I'll pass  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2018, 20:21 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:38:
Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 10:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 10:17:
MT Silver wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 03:43:
The more interesting story is how many games journalists are coming to Jessica Price's aid. Gamergate never ended, folks.

GamesIndustry.biz does not employ any journalists far as I could see. The person that wrote this is an editor and not a journalist with journalistic integrity nor education.

In fact an editor should never be posting anything on a news site ^^ What this is, and thus showing why GamesIndustry.biz is not a news site, is an unmarked OP-ED (opinion piece). Blues has more journalistic integrity than the above linked site...

Can't a site have both news and op-ed? It seems a weird line to draw to say it can't have both. This isn't presented as news, it's presented as an opinion.

Can you find me a single news site that doesn't also have opinion pieces? For the record, even Blue puts his opinion in, even if it's often just a few words.

Lastly, what does an education have to do with it. Woodward and Bernstein are probably the two most important reporters in American history, but only one had a degree, and it wasn't in journalism. Acting as if a journalist needs, or should even have, a degree in journalism is ridiculous. As ridiculous as this guy's opinion on what happened on Twitter (both employees were pretty clearly wrong.)

If you mark your OP-ED like Blues does and only infer opinion on aggregated news in clearly denoted style then he maintains integrity since he does not modify the linked content in any way That's the blessing of news aggregation (like fefe, bluesnews, etc.)

If you are a industry news site and not an aggregation site and you don't mark your op-eds then you are lacking journalistic integrity. Or basically, what you post isn't news, it's opinions and your site becomes utterly worthless for any advanced discourse (like Breitbart). And this is why you really want journalistic education since this is one of the first things you learn "Write the facts without bias" and more importantly, how to actually do that, because it's amazingly difficult

Also you might not be aware of that, but if you work at a news paper as reporter first thing you get to do is visit a journalism course. News papers in particular want their reporters to KNOW how to write unbiased articles with facts only so that they don't earn them dozens of lawsuits every week.

Ps.: And obviously a site can have blogs opinions and news. It just needs to clearly mark what is what. Otherwise you need to assume that nothing posted is unbiased news.

But this isn't listed as news. This is the same as the old Editor musings at the front of CGW or PCG.

Is Engadget a failure because this is marked as Transportation not Editorial?

And is there a single person on the planet who wouldn't be aware that the article we're discussing is an opinion?

The answer is yes to both of your questions Mark your OP-ED or be called a journalistic hack. Like that guy on Polygon is, rightfully.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2018, 11:38 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 10:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 10:17:
The more interesting story is how many games journalists are coming to Jessica Price's aid. Gamergate never ended, folks.

GamesIndustry.biz does not employ any journalists far as I could see. The person that wrote this is an editor and not a journalist with journalistic integrity nor education.

In fact an editor should never be posting anything on a news site ^^ What this is, and thus showing why GamesIndustry.biz is not a news site, is an unmarked OP-ED (opinion piece). Blues has more journalistic integrity than the above linked site...

Can't a site have both news and op-ed? It seems a weird line to draw to say it can't have both. This isn't presented as news, it's presented as an opinion.

Can you find me a single news site that doesn't also have opinion pieces? For the record, even Blue puts his opinion in, even if it's often just a few words.

Lastly, what does an education have to do with it. Woodward and Bernstein are probably the two most important reporters in American history, but only one had a degree, and it wasn't in journalism. Acting as if a journalist needs, or should even have, a degree in journalism is ridiculous. As ridiculous as this guy's opinion on what happened on Twitter (both employees were pretty clearly wrong.)

If you mark your OP-ED like Blues does and only infer opinion on aggregated news in clearly denoted style then he maintains integrity since he does not modify the linked content in any way That's the blessing of news aggregation (like fefe, bluesnews, etc.)

If you are a industry news site and not an aggregation site and you don't mark your op-eds then you are lacking journalistic integrity. Or basically, what you post isn't news, it's opinions and your site becomes utterly worthless for any advanced discourse (like Breitbart). And this is why you really want journalistic education since this is one of the first things you learn "Write the facts without bias" and more importantly, how to actually do that, because it's amazingly difficult

Also you might not be aware of that, but if you work at a news paper as reporter first thing you get to do is visit a journalism course. News papers in particular want their reporters to KNOW how to write unbiased articles with facts only so that they don't earn them dozens of lawsuits every week. And he worked at a newspaper as editor, he knows this.

Ps.: And obviously a site can have blogs opinions and news. It just needs to clearly mark what is what. Otherwise you need to assume that nothing posted is unbiased news.

News Comments > Battlefield V Video
20. Re: Battlefield V Video Jul 10, 2018, 10:20 eRe4s3r

Sepharo wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 16:03:
Beamer wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 09:22:
MT Silver wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 09:13:
VaranDragon wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 04:33:
Avus wrote on Jul 9, 2018, 01:48:
WW2 again... killing Nazi again... so boring

I am guessing killing zombies and Nazi are the most politically correct way to make a game about shooting/killing.

You're wrong about killing Nazis though. There are no Nazis in this game. The "enemy" is the German Empire, and all references to actual WW2 scenarios have been carefully erased from the game. From what I've seen the actual Allies have retained their nationality though.

Please tell me you're joking and they didn't actually do this...

As with nearly any game like this, single player has you killing Nazis like you're Brad Pitt, multiplayer does away with the Nazis so that no one has to be one. Because, historical accuracy be damned, no one wants to fight as a Nazi.

Yep, even the first BF way back in 2002
https://i.imgur.com/hy0mc4k.jpg

But I always thought it had more to do with selling it in Europe than not wanting to play a Nazi in MP.

Specifically selling in Germany I'd guess. Display of the swastika for entertainment purposes is forbidden. Unless it's involving a statement. And BF5 is a fantasy game, so it would never get the go ahead for this in Germany.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2018, 10:17 eRe4s3r

News Comments > LawBreakers Failure Helped Kill The Amazing Eternals
1. Re: LawBreakers Failure Helped Kill The Amazing Eternals Jul 10, 2018, 10:03 eRe4s3r

Maybe if Digital Extremes tried do their own thing instead of cloning Overwatch 2 times in a row they might have had a better chance of success....  

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2018, 07:20 eRe4s3r

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 06:12:
Brendan Sinclair and any "journalist" interpreting it totally contrary to reality, should get fired as well. Holy fuck, how can you write such lies and still be employed?

It's Gamergate in reverse

News Comments > Darksiders III in November
3. Re: Darksiders III in November Jul 10, 2018, 07:19 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 00:45:
I thought the first two games were great and didn't notice any decline in quality over their durations. I was engaged throughout the whole experience.

I'm a bit less confident about DS3, though. Nordic has never funded a AAA game before and they have a history of pushing games out the door before they're ready. Also, I don't know how much of the original dev team has been retained in the new team.

If they carry over the art style I am sold, though maybe not at full price...

News Comments > Dying Light 2 Interview and Video
4. Re: Dying Light 2 Interview and Video Jul 9, 2018, 14:51 eRe4s3r

Hate to say it, but I am too waiting for some decent zombie survival, DL1 was pretty purrty... actually loved the parcour  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2018, 13:03 eRe4s3r

LG says they last 30000hrs, test at trade says in front of big industry people they lasted 60...

Yeah, sure, it's just some panels.

News Comments > Steam Competitor Coming from China
5. Re: Steam Competitor Coming from China Jul 9, 2018, 11:37 eRe4s3r

If wegame on Steam Illgame  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 9, 2018, 06:53 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jul 8, 2018, 14:02:
Saboth wrote on Jul 7, 2018, 18:53:
We'd already have self-driving cars if they AI didn't have to deal with humans who can't drive and disobey the law and don't follow logic and reason. If we replaced all human drives with self-driving cars instantly, we'd have probably a 1000% decrease in accidents overnight.

Then how would I get to work? A self driving car can't take me home, because I live in the country side with roads that have no clearly delineated lines. It's just a large slab of gravel. Current 'autonomous' vehicles can't drive on that.

How is it going to drive us around when there's the average Oklahoma torrential downpour? When it's foggy? When it snows? How is it going to deal with a rabbit's nest of one way streets? How does it deal with double parked vehicles? How does it deal with roads where traffic circumstances are unique due to whatever reason? etc etc etc etc.

Autonomous vehicles are NOT READY. Stop believing that they are. Stop listening to that lying shitbag Elon Musk when he keeps saying that his Teslas can do level 5 autonomy right now. They CAN'T. All autonomy is right now is a glorified lane-keeper and automatic-breaking solution. Good technology, for sure, but that's what it is. His blablabla about how it's driven 7 times more miles before a fatality than what the average human does completely and deliberately ignores the fact that said Tesla miles are driven 99.99% on well maintained and clearly marked highways, which is where the fewest fatalities already happen anyway, and it ignores the fact, again deliberately, that his Teslas don't auto drive on shitty-ass B roads, where the majority of fatalities happen.

I also like how, whenever an accident happens, Musk and Tesla are quick to bleat "It's the human's fault! You need to be alert at all times! Our system doesn't do the driving for you!"

But when it comes time to bleat how safe it is, apparently every safely driven mile is completely due to the technology, and said need for alert humans is never mentioned. Which one is it, Elon? Are the humans driving, or your technology? Because you're trying to fucking argue in your favor from both sides.

In order for autonomy to work, we need to stop with this "Well, if it kills fewer people than what currently die in traffic, it's worth it!" No, it isn't. If we try to switch to autonomy before it's ready, then a string of horrible accidents will follow, and that will kill the technology by completely destroying what little public trust there is to begin with, and nobody will switch. (and if you think getting a gun away from people is hard, wait to see how hard it would be to get them to give up their car by forced mandate.)

Autonomy needs to go to level 5, full automated driving in all conditions and every circumstance, before we roll it out. That's the only way to shift public perception on it. It needs to roll out, and be completely safe and capable in every circumstance. And even then it will take a generation before it takes over.

Was just reading this so your post fit nicely

No car has level 4 nor 5 autonomy right now.

12727 Comments. 637 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo