Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12289 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake
9. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 22:15 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 21:49:
According to this source, they acquired the shares over a long period of time...

Vivendi purchased its Ubisoft shares for a total of 750 million Euros over the last several years, and this exit has netted it a huge profit. But Ubisoft is finally free from the Vivendi threat, so Guillemot is also happy.

... and more on Tencent...

Ubisoft is referring to Tencent as a “long-term” investor, and that is how it tends to handle these deals. As with other Chinese companies, Tencent prefers to acquire a minority share in a successful business so it can let the company continue to operate as it always has.

That does not mean Tencent will not lend some help to Ubisoft going forward.

“The new strategic partnership agreement we signed [with Tencent] will enable Ubisoft to accelerate its development in China in the coming years and fully leverage a market with great potential,” said Guillemot.

And Ubisoft is in a strong position to benefit from Tencent. China is the biggest gaming market in the world in terms of spending, and it is also impenetrable due to burdensome regulations on foreign media and Tencent’s near monopoly on software distribution. To even get into the country, the Chinese government forces developers to get a domestic publishing partner as a sponsor.

Well, now Tencent can act as Ubisoft’s sponsor, and that could enable the company to expose its popular online shooters like Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege and the upcoming Division 2 to a huge and important market that was difficult to capitalize on up to this point.

Good to know, thanks! So it could actually be a good thing for Anno 1800 (Don't care about Siege nor Division) but yeah, let's hope Ubisoft does not become the next EA or *gasp* Konami

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
25. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 21:08 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 18:11:
DangerDog wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 03:41:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 19:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:48:
A far simpler question could be asked

Is Russia really the enemy or is someone trying to sabotage Russian <-> West relations

And who'd gain from this, because it sure as hell isn't Russia nor the West.

Russian politicians look good to their people in the short term. Long term, it helps Russian defence/expansion. I've seen people say NATO should be disbanded because Europe has *already* been invaded, that's hugely beneficial to any Russian hawks who want to nibble away at more of Ukraine. Also just revenge, supposedly Putin was pissed about the Panama Papers revealing his secrets.

Putin doesn't need to lift a finger to take down NATO countries, they're doing a fine job of destroying themselves.

But I'm holding out hope that the refugees will integrate into western culture, they just need to be treated with kindness and love.

We're really not. Europe's problem is that the global financial crisis has been used by right-wing agitators to further their own goals by blaming the economic impact problems on refugees, coupled with a temporary refugee crisis (of our own making). Europe's problem is a damaging reactions to largely imaginary problems.

The notion that we have already been invaded is an extreme example of an imaginary problem. You're one person who's made this claim - how literally did you mean this? I presume you don't actually think I'm living in occupied territory without noticing it, but there's no way that's an exaggeration of something with any semblance of reality. Western Europe remains one of the best, safest places to live anywhere in the world at any time in history.

The Russian government benefits from undermining this and undermining NATO. Right-wing American pundits benefit from undermining this as western Europe keeps proving them wrong on subjects like gun control, public healthcare, ultimately immigration. These people benefit from lying to you and manipulating you.

Your link isn't linking. Either way, I feel occupied by Merkel. That's not imaginary Entire generation of children doesn't know other chancellor than Merkel now. By the end these children will leave regular school.

I would rather this country moves forward than stagnate to death by Merkels "sitting out problems till they can't be ignored" strategy. If you can even call this a strategy. I call it lack of vision.

News Comments > Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake
2. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 20:33 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 19:07:
Well, assuming something close to actual market prices, that's a tidy 1.8 billion dollar profit.

Selling to an Chinese investor called Tencent isn't profit, that's the end of Ubisoft. Tencent has now a control minority. And Tencent will push for f2p and pay to win elements, whether in western releases or chinese only for now, well that's open and unknown... let's just hope Anno 1800 releases untainted.. but I have my doubts already.

And Vivendi made a tidy profit here, that's true. bought em for 730m and got 1.8b .. wow.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2018, 20:43.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 17:35 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:06:
Bard wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 11:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 10:29:
How to opt-out of fakebook "platform sharing, simply #deletefacebook

Unfortunately there is no real alternative.

And even then, after you have deleted your account, the system will still log you via facial recognition from other people's photos.

Solution, tell your friends not to make photos of you.... if they don't have that amount of decency they are assholes, not friends.
Friends take photos, but assholes post them on fakebook.
Sometimes they are one and the same, I can't be expected to slap the phone out of my aunts arthritic fingers when she is taking xmas family photos. {wink}

But you could ask your FAMILY not to post them pics on facebook.

Then they'll ask you to not be in family photos. They're not going to stop from posting Uncle Johnny's 87th birthday photos because 1 person out of 10 in the group shots is trying to avoid FB.

Not to mention, FB has been proven to follow your activities online, even if you never created an account with them.

Uh, that is a good thing no?

To be clear, my family does not post family pictures on facebook after I explained them what facebook does with them.... in fact you could never, ever, find any image of me online unless *I* allow that.

But I guess my family (Since I grew up with the STASI to some extend) has a whole different mindset about Stasi 2.0, uh sorry, I mean facebook.

Btw, it took nearly 6 years of convincing before my aunt had a gmail account. So she would never post online, and my uncle was an activist who the Stasi jailed for 7 years, he would rather bomb facebooks HQ than allow his imagery on there.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2018, 17:52.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 17:21 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 17:06:

And even then, after you have deleted your account, the system will still log you via facial recognition from other people's photos.

Solution, tell your friends not to make photos of you.... if they don't have that amount of decency they are assholes, not friends.
Friends take photos, but assholes post them on fakebook.
Sometimes they are one and the same, I can't be expected to slap the phone out of my aunts arthritic fingers when she is taking xmas family photos. {wink}

But you could ask your FAMILY not to post them pics on facebook.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 17:06 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 20, 2018, 16:53 eRe4s3r

Ah, Russia, the tribute dictatorship, aka DDR 2.0  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
22. Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 15:46 eRe4s3r

ItBurn wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 15:01:
Looks cool, but Windows 10 store, so no thanks. Not interested in encouraging limited app gardens.

Not to mention purchase binds this game to your MS account and OS license. If either changes, you no longer have access. That's not a limited garden, that's a walled garden.

My steam account and games work wherever my steam account is. That isn't the same for (most) Windows store apps.

But because of absurd! regional pricing windows store would ever even be a consideration for me.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans
10. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 20, 2018, 14:42 eRe4s3r

Zoom wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 11:15:
That's the thing with ray tracing, you do not need pre-baking light maps and such, as everything is done during the main pass. Where you'd need additional passes is for more ray bounces to be accounted for, and radiosity (and other light scattering effects, as it's basically adding more rays to the scene). Still, it requires a ludicrous amount of floating point firepower, which has been the main blocker for decades. I still believe the heavily scalar GPUs of today could have hardware pipelines for raytracing as they do have that kind of power now. What's interesting here is they also address the noise inherent to this method of rendering.

Exactly, the fact that nothing flickers here is what is truly mindblowing. But I wouldn't rule out prebaking. There are some tells (GI doesn't flicker...) that would indicate at least the general light distribution is precomputed. And we won't know much about the technical detail.

Either way, seeing this I wonder if a V100 can't be used as a CPU replacement...

7. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 20, 2018, 04:15 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 20, 2018, 02:46:
Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 23:27:
This time DX12 will be worth it! Yet more empty promises?

In any case, it's a nice demo, but what about this can't be done with current graphics technology?

Might be less about "can it be done" and more about "how much more easily it's done?"

No, the only thing it's about is how much faster is it done, and at what quality level and at what price. And no GPU aside from V100 and Titan V can do this kind of quality level in real time especially not the reflections shown in the first video. Those are soft reflections and area shadows. Which if you ever rendered a scene in a 3d suite, would make you all giddy to see in RT (the V100 and Titan V prices however, would make you faint).

No consumer grade GPU (currently) could even come close to real time on these demos. Previously we still talked about 10 second ! per frame render times, ON A GPU. On a CPU, even fancy Ryzen, minutes.

And also, GPU rendering locks you out of a lot of fancy software raytrace features, like fancy 2 pass calculations, and especially more than 1 step reflections (reflection of a reflection of a....)

3. Re: DirectX 12 Ray Tracing Support Plans Mar 19, 2018, 21:32 eRe4s3r

Man that this is finally coming... who'd have guessed it would take exactly 3 decades.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2018, 22:01.

News Comments > Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content
4. Re: Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content Mar 19, 2018, 20:50 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 20:05:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 19:23:
This is pretty awesome of them.

Not really, what else are they gonna' do with it? This is just a business move in hopes to recoup from people using UE4 to make games.

Deleting it... like 99% of all developers do. And this is huge, because professionally done characters fully rigged like these usually cost upwards 20k $

News Comments > Morning Patches
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 19, 2018, 19:07 eRe4s3r

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 17:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 12:37:
Reading this all I kinda want to play Morrowind heavily modded again...

OpenMW and Skywind have been making significant progress, with openMW having some basic multiplayer already working in their builds, and Skywind looking like its shaping up into quite the looker. It will be interesting to see how these projects handle revamping combat somewhat.

Was more thinking of the original feeling.... with mods.. something like this, list is not by me, but it's what I am grabbing right now Ps.: I copy pastad it, so don't blame for this stupid comment style I deleted some of it but meh. For anyone up to this challenge, get MCP and MGE first and check if they work for you, I've had.. less than fun experiences with that combo

1.(M) Morrowind Code Patch https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510 MOST MODS REQUIRE THIS IT FIXES TONS OF BUGS AND ADD SOME STUFF

2.(M) Better Bodies for NMM https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42399 LETS BE HONEST NO ONE LIKES THE DEFAULT BODIES FOR MORROWIND

3.(M) Accurate Attack https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/23746 BEACUSE MORROWIND COMBAT SUCKS

4.(M) DJ - Skyrim Regen Plus https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43959

5.(M) Melian's Teleport Mod https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43753?tab=files ALLOWS FOR MULTIPLE MARK/RECALL MUST HAVE

6.(M) AltStart https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43804 CAUSE WHO ISNT TIRED OF THE PRISON BOAT START

7.(M) Romance English Version https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/6932?tab=files

8.(M)Andromedas Fast Travel https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41542?tab=description JUST DUH

9.(N) Morrowind Rebirth https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/37795?tab=description

10.(N) Tamriel_Data https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44537

11.(N) Tamriel Rebuilt https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42145

12.(N) Global Map Markers https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43248

13.(N) Morrowind Graphics Extender https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/5535?tab=files

14.(N) Playable Vivec Mod http://mw.modhistory.com/download-57-5689

15.(N) Great House Dagoth v1.04 http://mw.modhistory.com/download-31-8052

Woohoo, still works perfectly on latest W10 Enterprise x64 version

Edit.. as usual when one starts looking for mods, when never stops.. kinda trailed off adding stuff and not using ANY of these aside from a few tweaks.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2018, 20:15.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
4. Re: Sunday Interviews Mar 19, 2018, 16:02 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 15:40:
I bought it, I played it for a bit, and it didn't grab me. So maybe the answer to the question was "Because it was boring?"

Have to agree here, nothing they did with that game grabbed me, it was just immensely boring to play both before and after the "fixes"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 15:50 eRe4s3r

Detection is important yes, but I think the thing missing is political will, not technical ability. We can track 10cm large objects in orbit easily, we just choose not to expand that technology to beyond orbit for.. reasons.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 13:55 eRe4s3r

Where does this notion come from that you can't nuke asteroids? The radiation (xrays!) and light emissions from a nearby (not impact) blast would push an asteroid off-course far more than a kinetic impactor ever could.

If you lobbed a 100mt nuke at an asteroid and detonate it right next to it you could apply as much as 25mt of kinetic force not directly into or against it's movement vector (so it'd be a massive course change). Of course forget the Armageddon style drilling op, that's the stupid way to use nukes.

on face value against 80m ton asteroid, applying 25mt of kinetic energy seems kinda "meh" but it would change it's vector enough over decades to completely eliminate it as a threat.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 19, 2018, 12:54 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 15:39:
How's Surviving Mars? Anyone playing?

Oh man, this might be the first time that I would call a game a "first impression wonder" and let me explain

This game makes a great first impression, challenging and interesting, fresh and neat. And it holds it (and is a great game!) until you become self sufficient. After that point the game becomes a broken slog.

And then you are in late game, mystery happens (These are story events that range from "meh" to "game-over" because of horrid balancing and map structures that can lend themselves to you INSTANTLY losing for certain events.

Secondly maps aren't random, though they sure look like it at face value, they are build from segments (9 segments) they are merged nicely and blended together nicely, but at the core you will see the same 5 maps over and over and over.

Third, drone AI is horrendously stupid and this becomes a problem in late game. At some point I had 51 ! cable faults because my drones refuses to use the metal storage in my colony and instead tried to go over the entire map to get 1 metal that was dropped there. They died on the way, there was a path of dead drones to that 1 metal. I uninstalled the game after this (Sol 401 though)

Fourth, no way to connect domes means no way to specialize properly.

Fifth, seniors count into your workforce totals... except they don't work, breaking the education element of this game ENTIRELY because it thinks you don't need engineers, because you got 50 senior engineers. When they die, you got biologists working in the mines (which *DOES* impact you really badly)

6th, job assignment AI is horrendously broken, see drone AI, same problem. They'll migrate sure, they'll use shuttles, maybe. Soon as you got chained tunnels though the AI goes totally insane.

7th, it's clear nobody at the devs ever thought what would happen past 1000 people or say, past 20 drone controllers (The UI elements become so condensed you can't see a dang thing anymore)

8th, there are some features (High Workload toggle) that nobody knows about because the game has literally no tutorial. It has a help that says nothing to the point where mechanics are wrongly explained (pipe leaks are a global thing, if you have 2 separate systems 1 pipe leak will affect both even though they are not connected) same for power. (It's basically a -5 power modifier per broken cable)

9th, Breakthroughs... great idea, in theory. IN practice there are some breakthroughs (Extractor AI) that are so absurdly superior to all others that NOT getting it and getting a hard mystery will be game over.

10th, the game is finite

All of that does not make it a bad game, but currently I'd rate it 6/10 ... wait for the "complete" game because the season pass already speaks volumes.

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Mar 19, 2018, 12:37 eRe4s3r

Reading this all I kinda want to play Morrowind heavily modded again...  

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
24. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 18, 2018, 22:02 eRe4s3r

Overmann wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 20:44:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:59:
Unless I am blind I see no mention there for Myst 1, Myst 2 and Riven..... I am asking because I have the (DVD) in my drive, it's a German anniversary edition by Cyan games and it got no loose files, it got all 3 Myst games and Riven on a DVD with installers as cab/exe combo and autostart launcher with menu to install things etc.

This version was fixed to run in Windows XP natively btw. For Myst 1 that was even back then extremely wonky (256 colors only)

I don't know about the German version, but I've got the US anniversary edition and it has all the files required on it.

You can find which files are required from the disc here:
Myst
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Myst

Riven
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Riven:_The_Sequel_to_Myst

BTW Riven is Myst 2

Mhh, then I seem to be out of luck ;/ Honestly can't remember where I got this disc from though, I think from some polish store or something, does look very pretty ^^. Maybe a black market copy because it sure doesn't say anniversary, it says compilation....? Wouldn't that be something, either way can't do anything, all I got is 3 setup.exe and 3 cabs, and the various IS files with the old install shield icon and a white exe (non supported 16bit). I only faintly remember there being a launcher and it fixing the horrendous load times for Myst 1 which was why I kept the thing around.

I guess I need to google fu a old cab unpacker... sigh. But once I figure this out your links will be very helpful, thanks for that.

Honestly how the heavens did you find that on that site though? I must be failing at navigating websites today because I couldn't find this list and I actually looked. Oh well, I blame my old age

Ps.: In German it's Myst 2: Riven, so you guys confused me But I think that's the same thing they did with the first Anno game, which confuses me to this day as I own them on uPlay and physical, so they have 2 different names and not even saves sync up. Bought this compilation on a poland trip and near the border they always sold games cheap (that was before the €)

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 18, 2018, 19:05 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:48:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 17:40:
Bard wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 16:53:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 16:21:
Bard wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 15:46:
conspiracy theories these day = truth about world events that highlight the lies we are told every day.

or... garbage being put out there by useful idiots and government employed dirtbags to try and make the truth look stupid by association.

Do you believe the parkland kids are actors?
Do you believe in reptilian overlords?

The article mentions these, and your post seems to imply you probably ponder such things.

Nope - just history and evidence. Not the kind of nonsense like the above.

So what conspiracy theories do you believe? Were there bombs in the twin towers? Is there a pedophile ring in comet ping pong? Are false flags common?

A far simpler question could be asked

Is Russia really the enemy or is someone trying to sabotage Russian <-> West relations

And who'd gain from this, because it sure as hell isn't Russia nor the West.

Aliens who own a pizza parlor.

I'd take them over Putin and the truth any day.

12289 Comments. 615 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo