Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11585 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering Arena Announced
2. Re: Magic: The Gathering Arena Announced Sep 8, 2017, 00:56 eRe4s3r

The lands are a huge part of MTG gameplay and card interaction, so it is not fixable, maybe for other card games, but not for MTG. And it's actually relatively easy to "kinda" fix if you set draw rules, 2 (random) land cards required on hand, or something like that.

If you don't however, and you don't have a prophecy system like in Elder Scrolls Online (Which I think is the "best" card game currently) then it's really annoying to play though, that's true

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Sep 8, 2017, 00:38 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 19:19:
Blue wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 11:39:
NKD wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 06:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 01:48:
NK is like a little child, it cries and threatens but even with nukes and ICBM's it's all hot air and posturing to gain better negotiation positions at the food table. The only difference to the "usual" situation is that Trump will not negotiate, but Trump isn't gonna be around forever...

It's why I laugh at anyone who thinks this will cause WW3... NK has been blowing hot air around for more than 40 years now...

The only way this causes WW3 is if someone doesn't get Chinese and Russian leaders onboard before we nuke all their military installations. I also don't worry about Trump in this instance because there's no one in the military hierarchy that's going to obey a World War starting order from that cheetoh.

So the solution to this is a tactical nuclear strike, and we'll be protected from escalation into nuclear war by cooperation from Russia, cooperation from China, and a military coup here in the U.S.?

I feel so much better now.
And blue gently places a turd in the punch-bowl barely causing a ripple, it's almost like this was his first tinder date.

I posted the following on Labor Day

"As North Korea continues its nuclear sabre rattling we can all rest easy knowing that nothing will come of it.

Even if the US and her allies were to magically eliminate all the nukes in the North, which it can't. The DPRK has enough conventional weaponry to attack Seoul and her estimated 25 million inhabitants*, which is only 35 miles from the border.
Not even the current idiot in chief could tweet his way into a conflict of that magnitude.

*Including metro area."

NK is fully aware that it can do this. (SK too) hence why everyone who knows their stuff tells you that it's all posturing. The dictatorship in that hole is not insane, it's keeping the people in a constant perpetual state of fear of exterior forces to stabilize internal power, you can only do this if external forces are legitimately threatening you. As long as people believe the hell they are in is better than the hell they perceive outside you got a stable fascist dictatorship. NK has absolutely ZERO intention to conquer a western nation that is so westernized that it makes some western nations looks like developing nations. The entire power structure in NK would collapse. Because SK citizens would not have fear of an external enemy, they would have hate of an internal enemy.

What is FAR more scary is that the Japanese SDF had the missile that flew over it's air-space spotted and despite a lock, radar contact, and ready THAAD batteries did have the ORDER not to intercept. This means these missile tests and provocations are politically wanted in Japan, I am guessing to make the SDF move away from a pure defensive army.

And this right here is why this entire situation is just a big joke. NK can not attack anything, the moment they do they lose the ability to gain internal stability from it.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. This was an inside job Sep 8, 2017, 00:21 eRe4s3r

Can we just talk about how they did not just lose 143 million identities, but how they did store them in plaintext in an web-accessible SQL database that got pwned via an input hack on one of their (many) wrongly configured external domains? Only people who want that data to leak mismanage it like this.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2017, 13:32 eRe4s3r

NamecaF wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 10:04:

Dude, just buy some good quality rechargeable AA batteries. Just need 4 of them (2 in the mouse and 2 ready to go when they die) and just alternate them.

Considering what a mess it is to find a good charger with a proper 500mAh charging load I so far didn't get around to that ;/ But it's on my list of things I need to get.. at some point. But 12 AA Duracell batteries cost 7 where I go shopping... (that lasts me easily 2 years with steam controller) and that makes it hard to argue for a charger + rechargable AA batteries, that would cost me 50 easily, for 50 I could buy 12 non-rechargable batteries each year for the next 7 years!

And when they last this long in a device, you also can't keep recharged batteries just laying around.... or at least, last time I tried this they didn't, but that is ancient history and maybe they improved by now

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2017, 05:15 eRe4s3r

2AA batteries weigh around 50g extra (making the mouse weigh around 150g to 170g (due to the wifi chip needing a high-gain antenna, meaning metal lining everywhere)

In comparison. A 518MX Refurb, wired, weighs 106g total....

So I think that's way too heavy, I think 100 to 110g is the optimal weight for a mouse, and anything beyond (or below) that is a no buy for me. (in fact the only wireless mice I really liked was the G900), the original 518MX for example, was always a bit too heavy for me.

I really don't fancy this having AA batteries too, why no Li-Ion bag cell that can recharge? Would reduce weight substantially AND give you the ability to recharge your mouse. Instead of adding to the pile of waste batteries that cost actual effort to dispose....

Btw,
G602 -> 153g
G900 -> 107g (very good mouse using Li-Ion cell)

So why the hell goes Logitech back to AA batteries?

Edit: reading more about it, I guess because no Li-ion cell can match 2 AA batteries in power (but in exchange for no recharging, you get a mouse that's 50g~ heavier..) still, if 500hrs is for real that is very good. But it also means your mouse is gonna die non gracefully. Have been on the receiving end of "2 AA batteries for your device" with steam controller.... and while that claim with it lasting that long isn't fake, (mine last 3 months!) it's always a bother to need AA batteries since it just adds more things I need to bother buying at some point....

And obviously because it only dies every 3 month, I always forget to buy AA batteries....

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2017, 05:33.

News Comments > Euro Fishing: Manor Farm Lake DLC Released
3. Re: Euro Fishing: Manor Farm Lake DLC Released Sep 7, 2017, 01:50 eRe4s3r

It's actually a pretty competent "sport" fishing simulation... who'd have thought. Mind you, I never understood the concept of sport fishing but apparently fish aren't all stupid AF so catching a certain fish in a pond where you know all the fish seems pretty sports-like  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Sep 7, 2017, 01:48 eRe4s3r

NK is like a little child, it cries and threatens but even with nukes and ICBM's it's all hot air and posturing to gain better negotiation positions at the food table. The only difference to the "usual" situation is that Trump will not negotiate, but Trump isn't gonna be around forever...

It's why I laugh at anyone who thinks this will cause WW3... NK has been blowing hot air around for more than 40 years now...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 6, 2017, 22:53 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 21:10:
Why doesn't Apple just build a factory and make them? They're sitting on how many billion? Spend some money, create some jobs you cheap fuckers.

Because LG and Samsung own the OLED patents. And neither company is currently in a situation to be able to license production. They have a fight over who owns what patent....

And apple? Apple owns OLED patents too, but it has no chip making know-how..... they decided to base their entire company on 3rd party suppliers...

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 6, 2017, 02:09 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 23:12:
It's official: Users navigate flat UI designs 22 per cent slower.

The consequence is that users find navigation harder, and so spend more time on a page.

That's a feature, not a bug. It's all about those ad-view-seconds.

Adview seconds without clicks are pretty worthless though, and if you piss your non-adblock using audience off, then you got even less people not using ad-blockers... seems like a pretty stupid idea

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 5, 2017, 21:40 eRe4s3r

I think it's a good thing Windows S isn't popular, because if it were MS would push their UWP crap and platform lock-down more and more.  

News Comments > All Star Fruit Racing Early Access
3. Re: All Star Fruit Racing Early Access Sep 5, 2017, 11:11 eRe4s3r

I.. don't like star fruits... ;p  

News Comments > American McGee's Alice 3 Pitch
9. Re: American McGee's Alice 3 Pitch Sep 5, 2017, 05:10 eRe4s3r

I still have Alice 2 installed, and aside from a few iffy platforming parts, absolutely adore it, also in what universe was Alice 1 lighthearted? Me thinks whoever says that needs to replay it, doesn't get much darker than that.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: NieR- Automata Sep 5, 2017, 00:53 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 21:03:
Doesn't Square-Enix have a good track record of releasing PC patches? If not, this doesn't bode well for Final Fantasy 15.

Certainly not with their PC ports, they port and forget. But they will happily sell you pointless DLC

News Comments > Destiny 2 Microtransactions?
19. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 00:48 eRe4s3r

.Drifter wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 00:06:
As far as I can tell, the new UT is both modable and free, and yet I hear next to nothing about it on here or elsewhere. I keep hearing over and over that if a great, modable game came out, people would be all over it, and the original UT was what I consider one of the greats in that area. Is the new one just that bad or user unfriendly?

Quick check on twitch
Unreal Tournament - Live Channels
1 result

Quick look at it
2 Servers online
extremely low player population (low teens)

And that channel only played private match because no players online
So yeah, that answers your question imo

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Steam's problem with sex games surfaces again Sep 4, 2017, 21:14 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 17:45:
xXStellarDadXx wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 14:21:
but...but...i thought sex sells games?

Suggest sex all you like, just don't have any actual sex.

Even worse, nipples or nudity. But apparently only when your game name isn't Witcher 3

I said it before, but I think this behavior by Valve is pretty despicable

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
3. Re: Labor Day Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 21:06 eRe4s3r

That Musk story is what happens when you try to voice a diverse opinion in 140 characters... I am sure, somehow, AI development will militarize things more. But AI will also become a dominant factor in advancing our race. You can not stop researching it just because you are afraid. If the singularity happens and we were not ready for it, well tough luck. But we gotta try at least.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 19:45 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 12:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 22:21:
The new free spying dx12 exclusives shiny has wore off.
And just when I was thinking of downgrading to 10, not.
Did gamers all of a sudden have an epiphany.

Seriously? That's a non-story built on a previous non-story if I've ever seen one (skimming the comments, it seems Neowin reports similar "groundbreaking discoveries" every month). A change less than one percent is not even approaching margin of error for that data, not to mention that one month's or even two months' change is not a trend. People aren't going back to 7 from 10, more like the stubborn fucks who have kept on XP until the bitter end are starting to move up a rung because they're finally being forced. Or another theory from the comments, Steam is seeing an uptick of users from China on eMachine-quality rigs coming for PUBG.

Windows 10 isn't exactly popular in China, so I would guess you are spot on with that assessment. And hey, I am still on W7 but once I upgrade there isn't really a path left to go that isn't W10

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 3, 2017, 19:40 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 10:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 02:08:
killer_roach wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 01:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 23:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 15:14:
Sometimes it's what they say.
"We hope to use AI in our phones to have more learning capabilities ... together with big data, we will be able to understand consumer habits...," Lee told ZDNet.
It's no longer spying on you, your habits and what you do if it's in your hand.

At least they are honest about it... and let's face it, a proper AI needs to know and understand your habits to be.. well.. intelligent. Although I guess this limits what you can or should do with your phone, especially when it starts to call the cops on you for a suspected "criminal habit" o.O Or refuses to call the ambulance when you injure yourself in an illegal act...

Odds are they would probably glean insights from this data based on your internet activity generated from this AI - not only that way does it show them what sort of information was actually relevant to you, but it likely makes it easier for them to modify their own privacy statements.

I still wonder where in this elaborate setup the AI makes them (the few corporations can can afford to develop one) money though... Selling your data sounds like a really bad idea, since it would give competitors AI the tools to compete with the original fancy AI. So how would they make an AI a part of their monetization?

I mean, Google isn't doing much selling your data, just selling access to people with certain data profiles.

No one can go to Google and say "I want to know what eRe4s3r is doing between 4pm and 6pm every day" or "I want to know what brand toasters eRe4s3r is buying," but they can say "I own a restaurant and want to show happy hour ads to people who walk by every day between 4pm and 6pm."

I never fully understand some of the huge anger towards this. I've seen people complain along the lines of "oh great, so they can take more data and show me more ads!" You're getting the ads, anyway, may as well be better ads for you individually. You're still going to ignore 99.9% of them.

The joke is that I would very much like to know what I am going to do between 4pm and 6pm NEXT week (a predictive calculation that would allow me to know what I buy for dinner preparations in advance based on what is in my fridge by then) so yeah I find that not scary, I actually want an AI household assistant today already, and not just in 10 or 20 years, but I am guessing it won't be as simply as having a robot maid, every device would need to linked to the AI, or the AI would need to have one of the most absurdly advanced recognition systems on that planet (to look in your fridge/cellar/storage and see what you got, then make recipes you like based on this, and buy stuff when it's on sale to refill)

My worry is that for the AI developers, there is legitly no profit to be made here. A good AI would guide me to sales somewhat before I have an actual replacement need, a good AI would guide me to products that are highly rated, not to products that somehow make Google (or whomever) money. Sure, a good AI would bind me to google services if it's from google, but google services are not exactly a major part of the meat-world.

So you see, I simply wonder how an AI is gonna make the actual developers of it money. When it comes down to it, an AI needs a mobile platform to be useful in a household. It needs arms/hands/fingers to do stuff, it needs advanced computing solutions, it needs a power supply solution... none of that is made by the AI creators. ON the other end of the spectrum, an AI that flies planes or drives cars, or ships, or trains, still needs that thing to be built to begin with. And google can do many things, but it can not build a ship or a plane. (SpaceX/Tesla can build ships, cars and planes, so maybe I am on the wrong track thinking the revolution will come from an IT company)

News Comments > Ark Expansion Announced
4. Re: Ark Expansion Announced Sep 3, 2017, 19:27 eRe4s3r

This is one of these games that just keeps giving.... performance problems and questionable DEV behavior that is  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 3, 2017, 02:08 eRe4s3r

killer_roach wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 01:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 23:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 15:14:
Sometimes it's what they say.
"We hope to use AI in our phones to have more learning capabilities ... together with big data, we will be able to understand consumer habits...," Lee told ZDNet.
It's no longer spying on you, your habits and what you do if it's in your hand.

At least they are honest about it... and let's face it, a proper AI needs to know and understand your habits to be.. well.. intelligent. Although I guess this limits what you can or should do with your phone, especially when it starts to call the cops on you for a suspected "criminal habit" o.O Or refuses to call the ambulance when you injure yourself in an illegal act...

Odds are they would probably glean insights from this data based on your internet activity generated from this AI - not only that way does it show them what sort of information was actually relevant to you, but it likely makes it easier for them to modify their own privacy statements.

I still wonder where in this elaborate setup the AI makes them (the few corporations can can afford to develop one) money though... Selling your data sounds like a really bad idea, since it would give competitors AI the tools to compete with the original fancy AI. So how would they make an AI a part of their monetization?

11585 Comments. 580 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo