Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10836 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Hidden message Mar 5, 2017, 16:15 eRe4s3r

ViRGE wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 15:51:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 15:05:
It's not coated in rat poison. It's coated in a deterrent that is ALSO used in rat poison and puppy/kitten deterrents.
Thank you for clarifying that. I was about ready to smack someone for failing to read the damned article.

My question is, does it transfer off the cartridge to your fingers? Put in cartridge, pick up sandwich, WorstSammichEver?
Denatonium benzoate is stable once applied. In the quantities used as a bitterant, it won't transfer to the hands. You have to actually lick the cartridge to come in contact with it.

So is licking dangerous or not? And sorry for mistating, it is used as a consumption deterrent in rat poison, not as rat poison.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 5, 2017, 13:32 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 12:44:
Indeed... what in the hell. Should we be surprised though, with everything else going on?

I think we should... otherwise we accept this as a normal thing.

I mean seriously, I am not even surprised, people are doing stupid things, but Nintendo coating their game "memory cards" (lmao, in the year 2017 of all things) with rat poison is really taking it to whole new levels.

And of course, the usual idiocy takes hold, and now there is a lick-challenge. Because.. OF COURSE there is. Hah

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 5, 2017, 12:11 eRe4s3r

Speaking of keyboards.. my G11 with (by me) modded white LED's still works just fine Cleaned 5 times, 5 times rebuilt, 5 times fine (So far)  

1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 5, 2017, 11:58 eRe4s3r

Who.. why.. no.. let me ask differently.. WTF IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE  

News Comments > NieR PC This Month
12. Re: NieR PC This Month Mar 5, 2017, 01:01 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 01:00:
Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 01:00:
Drayth wrote on Mar 5, 2017, 00:02:
Here's a summary of the first game (spoiler-the story is whacked): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

nooice

Pretty whacked indeed ;p

7. Re: NieR PC This Month Mar 4, 2017, 22:01 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 21:46:
Bleh, too much consolitis.

Yeah, but how many good games like this do we get on PC? Ain't worth 60, but for sale (and summer sale is coming..) it will be nice to have on wishlist

5. Re: NieR PC This Month Mar 4, 2017, 20:20 eRe4s3r

Man just watching a few short minutes of youtube gameplay have me sold on this. But 60 o.O  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
33. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 4, 2017, 19:36 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 17:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 15:42:
Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 10:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 16:08:
Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 11:47:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 11:32:
Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 09:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 21:12:
Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 20:18:
30 Billion... Has Snapchat ever actually earned a profit?

Would it surprise you to hear that, to date, this company has not made a single $ profit? Has no monetization idea, and has no idea how to ever actually turn a profit?

As I've mentioned here before, they have lots of monetization ideas. My company works with them regularly. Regularly. We paid them millions of dollars in 2016, and our 3 year budget with them ramps up quickly. Can they get to break-even? Who knows?

Cutter is the most out of touch with reality I think we'll ever have here, but almost everyone here is out of touch with what people under 30 do with their time. They do not watch broadcast TV. Pretty much ever. But they spend enormous amounts of time on Snapchat, and they spend far more time watching Stories than watching TV. So where do you think companies that want to reach 18-34 year olds are putting their budget? Normal TV commercials, or the places Snapchat has embedded advertising?

In that case, good for you, but not good for shareholders

$514m loss 2016
"warns it may never be profitable"

The only value this company has, literally, is as an advertising platform for companies like yours..... which is, in case you are not aware, not a business concept that leads to profits for shareholders. So this IPO is completely overblown, good for whoever got in and sold instantly. Bad for anyone sticking with it.

Ok, so first, Facebook seems to be doing quite well as an advertising platform.

Secondly, do you know what's great about the internet? The place that advertises can also be the place that sells. And, once you enter retail, you can start seeing profit. Having a "click to buy now" button is the next wave for companies like this.

Keep in mind, they said they may never be profitable due to heavy investing. What company could that possibly remind me of. An industry darling that's virtually obliterated brick and mortar retail in the US, that went almost 20 years without a profitable quarter, and whose stock has been skyrocketing... I wonder what company that could be, that doesn't see profitability because it keeps investing in itself...

You telling me that a diary/image group messenger is to you same as Facebook and Amazon, when I tell you that to me, this is comparable to MySpace and Geocities. Once the generation that uses it right now stops using it it's gonna be dead and replaced by something with less "corporate bullshit" aka "advertisement" in it. Maybe you are right and it will be a good investment, but it just seems like a super risky and extremely overvalued stock price. More a sign that too much cheap money is in the market than a sign of real economic prospect.

No, I'm not saying it's "the same," I'm telling you it's comparable. And it could be replaced, but we've been saying Facebook will be replaced for 10 years now, and it just keeps growing bigger.

You think profits are what Wall Street cares about, which means you're not overly savvy about investing. Growth is also very important. Again, this is why Amazon surged despite not being profitable - it was growing. It could have been profitable, but it chose to keep investing in growth. This is what Snap does. VCs, and now shareholders, are willing to "lend" it half a million dollars if it can turn that into 2 billion of additional value.

It's hard to have this discussion when you keep changing your argument. First it was you misunderstanding what "never be profitable" means, insinuating it means it doesn't have the revenue, not that it's heavily investing, then it comes back to you thinking the userbase will leave. Which may happen. But Instagram, Snap, WhatsApp, etc., have kept rising for years now. The days of rapid exoduses have mostly left us. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but Myspace was very early in the social network game, and things shift rapidly very early. We're no longer very early, and things change much more slowly. Dozens of networks have tried to knock Facebook down, and they've all died trying. Google has done, what, 3? Ello launched claiming to be all about privacy and not corporations. Where are all those networks now? Yet, when FB had its IPO, everyone said it was the end of FB and something new would quickly supplant it, something less corporate.

Doesn't seem to have happened or be happening, eh?

Sure doesn't seem to be happening yet... so you are saying investors would put value on a stock that could eventually lead to profits, even if no (10year) plan exists to make that reality? How long do they plan on holding this stock? And what happens when we get another economic crash?

Again, profit isn't what matters, it's growth. They don't care when profits come so long as it's growing so quickly.

And it does seem to be happening. Why do you think the IPO did so well? Do you understand how IPOs work? Regular investors can't get in on them, only institutional investors. In other words, professionals. They're the ones that set it so high.

It never fails around here, though. A new technology comes up, and half this place whines about how stupid it is because they refuse to understand it. It isn't the poster that's wrong, it's the children. The children are wrong! And, of course, the investment banks and the VCs that have very detailed insight into the growth performance, the investments. Clearly eRaSeR knows the performance of Snap better than them.

Don't be Cutter.

Gee, way to be a flippant Cutter as negative example My question was meant honest, beyond this news I know nothing of this IPO, what I quoted to Creston was stuff that this article brought up... In fact the only reason I am even replying to you at this point is that I do not understand how Investors plan to make their money back on this. In your companies case I understand the concept, but not from an investors standpoint. Because the growth you talk about is ad-related. That means companies buying ads make money, companies producing ads make money. And Snapchat makes money by selling ad-space which it uses directly back to invest in growth ?

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Videos
14. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Videos Mar 4, 2017, 16:00 eRe4s3r

MacLeod wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 15:35:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 12:10:
To be honest, one of your primary thought errors is that you misunderstand what Mass Effect gates *do* in the fiction

They put you into a FTL stream by encapsulating you in a field and nullifying your mass and throwing you into a certain direction at a fixed (but very fast) FTL speed, they are directional jump gates in the sense that they are 1 way. But you can stay within the stream indefinitely as long as you don't hit anything, it's just really not useful because this requires way different ships than everyone else uses, and it requires aligning a mass effect gate with your target. And accuracy (where you exit the stream) is total shit. This + plot-device allows you to travel 25 million ly in 680 years (this would indicate 370000x FTL) and make Mass Effect gates even in the normal game world not anywhere instant at all. Which just shows how absolutely insane the scales in the universe are.

Apparently I know more than you, since that is not correct. Allow me to explain with the help of the Mass Effect Wiki, which also has an article on this.

The Mass Relays give you the initial jump.

It's the FTL drives on the ships that allow them to move around and stay FTL. The FTL engines continue to run for half the distance of the trip, and then reverse thrusters are needed for the remainder of the trip to slow the ship down back the same amount of speed as gained from the first half of the trip.

While it's doing this, the drive accumulates a static electrical charge as the ship is in FTL for a while. The safe way to discharge this is into a planets magnetic field for large ships or surface contact for smaller ships. If it doesn't get discharged, it accumulates until it eventually discharges into the ships hull. The heat fries everything inside, fuses the bulkhead, destroys electronics and kills everyone inside.

But, it turns out the wiki did help me somewhat, since apparently Bioware did think of this while designing the idea behind the ark.

The Arks use an experimental ODSY drive. It actually recycles the static energy that normally builds up and uses it to power the Ark's main systems. It also has a electromagnetic ram-scoop that gathers hydrogen from the surrounding area and converts it to fuel as needed.

It still doesn't quite answer as to why this tech or the mission is never even mentioned in the original trilogy, but we'll just have to chalk that up to "Bioware had no idea that they were going to be doing this story". It's still a shame they didn't think forward to at least put references in.

Wait, so you are saying Mass Effect gates just let you ENTER the FTL slipstream, and FTL drives then propel you within it? So they are basically just portals and don't actually make you move faster than 1.000001x FTL without a drive?

Wait, so that means that we are never actually moving inside the FTL slipstream, the entire slipstream is moving with us, so you have to brake 50% of the time like usually because in this idea, you wouldn't actually have an acceleration limit when you use mass effect drives.... and you would have static electricity from the energy you expect to accelerate and which has nowhere to go, because the slipstream "bubble" is always with you and never moves faster or slower than you.

Talk about strange jump tech

31. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 4, 2017, 15:42 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 10:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 16:08:

Would it surprise you to hear that, to date, this company has not made a single $ profit? Has no monetization idea, and has no idea how to ever actually turn a profit?

As I've mentioned here before, they have lots of monetization ideas. My company works with them regularly. Regularly. We paid them millions of dollars in 2016, and our 3 year budget with them ramps up quickly. Can they get to break-even? Who knows?

Cutter is the most out of touch with reality I think we'll ever have here, but almost everyone here is out of touch with what people under 30 do with their time. They do not watch broadcast TV. Pretty much ever. But they spend enormous amounts of time on Snapchat, and they spend far more time watching Stories than watching TV. So where do you think companies that want to reach 18-34 year olds are putting their budget? Normal TV commercials, or the places Snapchat has embedded advertising?

$514m loss 2016

The only value this company has, literally, is as an advertising platform for companies like yours..... which is, in case you are not aware, not a business concept that leads to profits for shareholders. So this IPO is completely overblown, good for whoever got in and sold instantly. Bad for anyone sticking with it.

Secondly, do you know what's great about the internet? The place that advertises can also be the place that sells. And, once you enter retail, you can start seeing profit. Having a "click to buy now" button is the next wave for companies like this.

Keep in mind, they said they may never be profitable due to heavy investing. What company could that possibly remind me of. An industry darling that's virtually obliterated brick and mortar retail in the US, that went almost 20 years without a profitable quarter, and whose stock has been skyrocketing... I wonder what company that could be, that doesn't see profitability because it keeps investing in itself...

You telling me that a diary/image group messenger is to you same as Facebook and Amazon, when I tell you that to me, this is comparable to MySpace and Geocities. Once the generation that uses it right now stops using it it's gonna be dead and replaced by something with less "corporate bullshit" aka "advertisement" in it. Maybe you are right and it will be a good investment, but it just seems like a super risky and extremely overvalued stock price. More a sign that too much cheap money is in the market than a sign of real economic prospect.

No, I'm not saying it's "the same," I'm telling you it's comparable. And it could be replaced, but we've been saying Facebook will be replaced for 10 years now, and it just keeps growing bigger.

You think profits are what Wall Street cares about, which means you're not overly savvy about investing. Growth is also very important. Again, this is why Amazon surged despite not being profitable - it was growing. It could have been profitable, but it chose to keep investing in growth. This is what Snap does. VCs, and now shareholders, are willing to "lend" it half a million dollars if it can turn that into 2 billion of additional value.

It's hard to have this discussion when you keep changing your argument. First it was you misunderstanding what "never be profitable" means, insinuating it means it doesn't have the revenue, not that it's heavily investing, then it comes back to you thinking the userbase will leave. Which may happen. But Instagram, Snap, WhatsApp, etc., have kept rising for years now. The days of rapid exoduses have mostly left us. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but Myspace was very early in the social network game, and things shift rapidly very early. We're no longer very early, and things change much more slowly. Dozens of networks have tried to knock Facebook down, and they've all died trying. Google has done, what, 3? Ello launched claiming to be all about privacy and not corporations. Where are all those networks now? Yet, when FB had its IPO, everyone said it was the end of FB and something new would quickly supplant it, something less corporate.

Doesn't seem to have happened or be happening, eh?

Sure doesn't seem to be happening yet... so you are saying investors would put value on a stock that could eventually lead to profits, even if no (10year) plan exists to make that reality? How long do they plan on holding this stock? And what happens when we get another economic crash?

12. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Videos Mar 4, 2017, 13:11 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 13:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 12:10:
This + plot-device allows you to travel 25 million ly in 680 years (this would indicate 370000x FTL) and make Mass Effect gates even in the normal game world not anywhere instant at all.

I don't think it was ever implied that Mass Effect gate travel was instantaneous, was it?

No But it puts all things in Mass Effect into perspective, and why you had so much time to fight the collectors (and why ME3 felt so weird). A few days on a planet are literally nothing when you gotta traverse the entire galaxy. But traveling from Earth to Asari homeworld is already a few weeks. Traveling to where the Quarians are takes months (And this REALLY puts into perspective where those fleets come at the end of ME3 came from, Earth was under siege for many many months) and how truly fucked everyone was when you blew up the mass effect gates. I mean truly fucked, getting back would take MILLIONS of years. So ME3 wasn't in any a place they could continue from with this story

11. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Videos Mar 4, 2017, 13:04 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 12:59:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 11:28:
1) they optimized the FTL slipstream configuration to oscillate the thruster in pulses, taking advantage of inertial manipulation via subspace lubricants which allows the drive to "coast" at regular intervals and thus extends drive time indefinitely

2) they discovered that fusing particles of element zero in a hyper-phased neutrino cloud creates a self-contained vortex wormhole into the zero-point field, providing a renewable fuel source when placed into the proper geometric scalar array

Geordi?

Anyway, I thought the exploration video was very cool. The only thing I didn't like was the "you'll run out of life support that you have to recharge at stations" bit. (ie, at random things that pop up in the middle of a desert, because why wouldn't there be something that's magically compatible with your Mako?)

It reminds me too much of that Hammerhead mission on that frozen world, where you keep having to boost between heating elements to avoid getting frozen. It's boring. It sucks that they brought that "gameplay" into Andromeda.

But other than that, the rest looks fun. I especially like expanding the Nexus and awakening further scientists/warriors/merchants part of it, and being able to build outposts on these planets.

Those recharge things are something you have to discover (locations) and call down yourself from the Nexus/Ark (I wonder if they cost resources?), they are not by default there from what I read. So the more you explore, the more you can explore. ^^

And what they did not show here is that you can always park in shadow for a few seconds.

8. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Videos Mar 4, 2017, 12:10 eRe4s3r

MacLeod wrote on Mar 4, 2017, 11:31:
If Andromeda was launched after the ME trilogy, 1 and 2 would make sense... but according to the timeline given, it was launched approximately slightly before or at the start of ME2... meaning they couldn't have done all that, since the tech would have then been used in the previous games.

To be honest, one of your primary thought errors is that you misunderstand what Mass Effect gates *do* in the fiction

They put you into a FTL stream by encapsulating you in a field and nullifying your mass and throwing you into a certain direction at a fixed (but very fast) FTL speed, they are directional jump gates in the sense that they are 1 way. But you can stay within the stream indefinitely as long as you don't hit anything, it's just really not useful because this requires way different ships than everyone else uses, and it requires aligning a mass effect gate with your target. And accuracy (where you exit the stream) is total shit. This + plot-device allows you to travel 25 million ly in 680 years (this would indicate 370000x FTL) and make Mass Effect gates even in the normal game world not anywhere instant at all. Which just shows how absolutely insane the scales in the universe are.

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
79. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 3, 2017, 22:40 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 16:37:
"The most obvious culprits are:
Motherboard UEFI/bios. Some reviewers mention a newer bios improve perf by a massive 25%. Computerbase mentioned that as well, and I trust those guys.
RAM usually does not have a major impact in most games. Like 2400 vs 2933, hardly any difference. Though some games like Fallout 4, do scale.
The other culprit that was confirmed by AMD reps & some reviewers, Windows Power management needs to be set on High Performance, not the default Balanced. On Balanced, Windows manages Ryzen's SenseMI and it does a bad job at it. On High Perf, Ryzen manages itself and performance uplift was quoted at 5-15%. Since reviewers don't mention their Power settings with windows, we don't know their setting. The ones that do mention they run on High Perf mode, like Joker & HardwareUnboxed, their results are very good overall.
There's also reports of Windows not knowing how to handle core parking with Ryzen yet, due to the 2x CCX (each 4 core) design, thread jumping from 1 CCX to the other has a heavy performance penalty. Basically, windows should not do that, keep everything within a CCX only. A windows update is needed to fix this."

Well... this explains a lot... Botched rushed release... I'll wait until these issues are fixed then take a look at it again, still, if these are true, its a BIG BLUNDER on AMD's part.

Aida64 has already said that the benchmarked memory and L1 latencies are "correct" after AMD claimed they were not. And Computerbase showed performance problems in Photoshop.. which indicates memory performance problems. (PS does not scale per cores, it scales by memory speed)

27. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2017, 16:08 eRe4s3r

$514m loss 2016

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV PC Plans?
7. Re: FINAL FANTASY XV PC Plans? Mar 3, 2017, 15:44 eRe4s3r

Gotta say, tech wise this is one of the most stunning things I've seen so far in the game engine tech. UE4 looks like a joke compared to this.  

21. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2017, 11:32 eRe4s3r

$514m loss 2016

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 3, 2017, 11:15 eRe4s3r

I am now convinced that Ubsioft doesn't even understand what a dedicated server is or does...  

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 2, 2017, 21:12 eRe4s3r

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
58. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 20:29 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 20:26:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 20:01:
Update I was reading on a subject of reviews with wildly differentiating game results. Leading candidate as to why? Different MB's and the consensus think that bodes well for Ryzen once they are all figured out and updated. Will keep an eye out on that, if it matches the 7700K or say within 5'ish percent, then all the rest and possible better future proofing come into play, maybe.

Yes, BIOS updates and microcode updates will help quite a bit. There's also a refresh in the works that should really do well. I've been saying wait for the 6/12 for a while now since by the time it's launched most of this stuff will be worked out, and it'll be a great value, especially for overclockers.

As far as gaming performance goes...future games, esp. DX12-only ones (optimized), will benefit from 6+ core/threads which will help Ryzen a bit especially in VR. It's likely Intel will maintain the overall gaming edge, though, at least if all you're doing is gaming.

For those giving various data from various views: just keep in mind, AMD's stock tanked today because of perceived poor gaming performance. It's definitely an issue. AMD already said (prior to launch) it was releasing a microcode update and BIOS update to fix a lot of the memory latency and cache issues.

Where you reading these AMD statements? (out of curiosity) more importantly, do we know when R5 releases and at what prices?

10836 Comments. 542 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo