Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12286 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2018, 13:19 eRe4s3r

headkase wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 13:02:
Beamer wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 12:10:
headkase wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 11:47:
I was planning on getting the monthly subscription to Office 365 but am now just going to stay with LibreOffice. Until exactly what is what is understood I can't risk having my Microsoft Account closed - it is my only link to my Windows 10 activation and I'm not taking any chances with that.

I mean, common sense. If Microsoft bans accounts for saying "shit," no one will use the service and Microsoft dies. So it won't happen. What they're trying to prevent is someone putting something truly horrific in Office365 and sharing the link to people without them being able to shut it down. Like if that Nazi group, Afflewartzen or whatever, were to start putting things on Office365, Microsoft will want to kill it.

This gives them the power to.
May they exploit it and take down anyone saying "damn" in an email? Yeah, sure, but if you actually fear that will happen I'm more concerned about you than this TOS.

Here's my situation: I bought Windows 8 Pro, had my product key, took the free upgrade to Windows 10, stupidly thought I'd never need the product key again and threw it away after getting the 10 digital license associated with my Microsoft account. My Microsoft account is in good standing, my digital entitlement is fine, I can reinstall and have done so with no problems with that entitlement. There is no way Microsoft will give me my original product key back, I've tried to ask them, and if my Microsoft account is closed I lose my Windows 10 digital entitlement. Windows drives my 500+ games I've purchased over the last decade or so. So I'd have to buy a new license of Windows or switch to Linux and lose access to 70+% of my game library. Neither alternative is appealing. And I really was sitting on the fence about going for a Office monthly subscription. I didn't really need it but the 1TB OneDrive allotment that would come with it was enticing. Now, I'd have to worry that everything was perfectly legit there too so I'm not going to risk my investments.

Edit: With "perfectly legit" on OneDrive meaning "emulation where even if you wanted to you can't buy the old ROMs for dead systems" gray area.

If you want to get your currently used W10 key go here
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

This key can be used to auth a full install (as in, a full new install of the same W10 version you got right now) your W8 key is irrelevant As long as you can access W10 you can find out your (legit) key.

Edit: Wow, I just read up on this again and I am slightly wrong, apparently if you upgraded to W10 from W8 via the free offer you only got a hardware bound key, not a full license key. If your hardware changes this key would no longer work. WTF?

I guess if MS banned your account you'd have to become a filthy pirate to circumvent that.... I honestly did not know this limitation, but I suspected it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2018, 22:56 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 13:02:
Dev wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 03:21:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 23:16:
Question for folks. I have a wifi router, and control my daughter's laptop connectivity by setting the MAC address to a specific schedule, no wifi after 10PM, for example. However, the wifi was weak in part of the house so I set up a repeater.

Suddenly I noticed her laptop not adhering to the schedule, and discovered that the repeater reports an entirely different MAC address for the laptop. Why is that?
Check the MAC of the repeater, I'm thinking that might be it, like the repeater is reporting itself or something.

Also keep in mind that the MAC of a wired connection is different than a wireless. So if she is directly plugging in a wired connection, new MAC.
All all these MACs to the schedule

I did some reading last night, and the repeater assigns a different MAC address to the machines connecting through it, always starting with 02:0f:b5. Hopefully it's not dynamic, or I'll have trouble managing it...

If you see that behavior in a network then you are looking at a router with MAC translation. (in this case, your repeater is acting as a router)

essentially, you can't have more than 1 mac address connecting to an AP (that would be your router) via wifi, to fix this companies hacked something called MAC translation together. Google it if you want to go insane and hate WIFI.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Launch Plans
7. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Launch Plans Mar 26, 2018, 09:11 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 07:27:
Dev wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 03:03:
Anyone taking bets on how many of those 6 DLC are going to be an extra cost?

https://www.beamdog.com/nwn_faq#03

What does this new Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition include?

Content

The original Neverwinter Nights campaign
Two expansion packs: Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark
Three premium modules: Kingmaker, ShadowGuard, and Witch’s Wake

That's 3 out of 9 ;/

# Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
# Infinite Dungeons
# Pirates of the Sword Coast
# Darkness over Daggerford
# Tyrants of the Moonsea
# The HeX Coda

But still I guess those would have been impossible due to licensing?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2018, 08:56 eRe4s3r

Frans wrote on Mar 26, 2018, 07:51:
mag wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 19:13:
I am still getting expired SSL cert warnings when I go to https://bluesnews.com. I have to go to www.bluesnews.com to avoid the warning.
Oh, that's interesting. There's a rewrite rule that always directs users to the canonical hostname www.bluesnews.com, but this indicates the browser first checks the cert before following the redirect. A little unexpected, but logical now that I think about it.

I've added bluesnews.com to the cert.

Thank you! And just to make it known, THANK YOU for keeping this site running on the technical end. You are imo the most awesome person on the planet! Wouldn't know what to do without bluesnews.com every morning!

News Comments > Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM Released
4. Re: Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM Released Mar 25, 2018, 21:58 eRe4s3r

Frijoles wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 00:12:
The start of the story feels a bit forced. I've had a few, "Uh, ok." moments. Combat seems fun though, if they'd stop interrupting.

Game picks up immensely later on. Although it never gets "bone hard" but.. my there is much to explore. Absolutely love the game sofar

So much better than Final Fantasy ~.~

News Comments > More Star Control Follow-up
7. Re: More Star Control Follow-up Mar 25, 2018, 21:56 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 17:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 11:38:
When 1 side hires a scummy PR agency to fight their battles you know they have no legal leg to stand on. Ford and Reiche also don't own any trademark rights to Star Control, like literally zero. They can make a sucessor but they can't call it anything Star Control related nor have the alien designs from Star Control (which these 2 did not actually create)

Eh? Who do you think created the alien designs? I distinctly remember an article in Computer Gaming World where they described how they came up with the name "Ilwrath." There's a video interview where they talk about how they came up with the alien designs. They've talked about how the first prototype the two of them put together was a Yehat against a VUX.

The problem is given their recent years of lies and more lies why would I believe this interview? And how exactly is designing aliens creating them? Were they artists? Coders? In the end Accolade was the big one above all and personal credits are like fleas to the mice. You can have tons of flees, but without a mouse there ain't nothing to pet.

Also primarily I am just pissed they abused the DMCA process.

Also, this bad analogy was free of charge

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2018, 21:47 eRe4s3r

"His rocket was losing steam"

Oh my, I nearly dripped coffee when reading this. And it's a good thing it did too because steam engines don't work in space. But what's science got to do with a rocket steam engine builder eh?

News Comments > More Star Control Follow-up
5. Re: More Star Control Follow-up Mar 25, 2018, 11:38 eRe4s3r

When 1 side hires a scummy PR agency to fight their battles you know they have no legal leg to stand on. Ford and Reiche also don't own any trademark rights to Star Control, like literally zero. They can make a sucessor but they can't call it anything Star Control related nor have the alien designs from Star Control (which these 2 did not actually create)  

18. Re: SSL Cert expired Mar 23, 2018, 21:16 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 20:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 20:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 20:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 20:08:
Blues, you gotta renew the cert
"Your Connection is Not Private" , turns around slowly looking for attackers.

They only attack when you don't look....

So the opposite from Endermen...

Speaking of best-selling games that spawned a generation of copycats.

I was more thinking of the weeping angels from Doctor Who. Way more creepy than that game

News Comments > Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM Released
2. Re: Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM Released Mar 23, 2018, 20:25 eRe4s3r

NIce!  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 23, 2018, 20:22 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 03:21:
Did you see this on the haptic glove innovation, sounds really promising but it's going to require a lot of refinement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK2y4Z5IkZ0

It may not be politically correct but it seems like a lot of this work is aimed at creating a "digital dream girl" simulator.

I wonder if in Blade Runner had they made Kay a female character would they have even gone there with the whole AI surrogate sex scene, it seemed so drawn out and over thought with details.

Yeah I've seen that It's where my new found optimism that AR is the future comes from. VR has place and time, but for home use, AR would be infinitely more awesome and require much less of a bulky system, just a projection thing and maybe light glasses. Haptis on the other hand will always need beefy equipment, air compressor, liquid system for heat/cold and EM shielding, so it would never be light and fluffy ,/

16. Re: SSL Cert expired Mar 23, 2018, 20:19 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 20:13:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 20:08:
"Your Connection is Not Private" , turns around slowly looking for attackers.

They only attack when you don't look....

13. SSL Cert expired Mar 23, 2018, 20:08 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Star Control Wars
8. Re: Star Control Wars Mar 23, 2018, 06:53 eRe4s3r

To me this is old people who think they are still relevant being idiots. And wasting money at that...  

News Comments > Get F1 2015 for Free
14. Re: Get F1 2015 for Free Mar 22, 2018, 22:15 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 21:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 20:36:
Yeah this might shock you (maybe not ,p), but I am also into F1 (only event I actually watch regularly) to me there is nothing more amazing than the package. Engines, cars, sounds, tracks (even Monaco) and new season is always the best of the lot. New car designs, new features, new rule-sets and no more grid girls, so we can finally see the cars instead of badly dressed models etc.

Instead of going to a Nascar Race, I watch it on tv with two vacuum cleaners turned on behind the barcalounger and sniff from a bottle of ammonia every couple of minutes. it beats the real thing

If that's how it sounds to you then because you got shit speakers ,)

4. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2018, 20:52 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 19:53:
I think VR is going to make it more difficult to interact with "digital humans".

I bet you could create some pretty freaky stuff with just a camera tracking your facial expressions and having an eliza like script reacting to your voice responses. Not quite the Blade Runner 2049 holographic sex bot everyone wants but it would be pretty close, abit in 2d form.

Studies showed that there are strong psychological reasons not to make VR avatars look too human as well (there was a pretty famous science experiment with a perfectly human looking girl that the "game" tasked you to kill to reset the simulation at the end, if you did not do this the simulation would not reset and everything you said to the avatar would remain, this was the first time science noticed that humans REALLY do not want to kill VR avatars they connected with on an empathy level, this is also a big problem for VR games). So I would not say this is an automatic thing.... if you wanna sell your VR or (AR!!!!!) agent as a total google assistant replacement you would not make it a human facsimile, you'd make it a fairy or a dragon or whatever else that can fly in AR and position itself in rooms without breaking immersion.

The development possibilities for this, especially for AR are truly mind-blowing. Forget VR, seamless AR integration is where such avatars will utterly crush any inter-human social communication. It's a pet that can talk that you don't need to feed. For elderly this will be a godsend. Maybe add to this haptic gloves (so it can sit on your hand/arm, in AR) and your brain would be convinced the agent really exists in the environ.

So yeah, one of the most interesting fields in technology in my opinion and Tim Sweeney doesn't touch on all tehse more advanced issues in that piece. He just talks about the "how" and the how is known. But leaving uncanny valley seems to not be advisable for most VR and AR applications, instead make avatars non human and NEVER even insinuate they are human.

9. Re: Get F1 2015 for Free Mar 22, 2018, 20:36 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 20:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 19:29:
theglaze wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 19:25:
10pm PDT on Saturday night is the first Grand Prix of the year, live from Australia, for those curious to see the DOPE 2018 cars in action!

8AM GMT

I am ready

No sleeping in this weekend Btw, Saturday 8am GMT qualifying, Sunday 8am GMT Race. Qualifying is imo just as much a must watch.

Do you mean the actual car racing? Never understood the appeal but one of my brothers is a big race car nut and watches Formula 1 religiously.

Yeah this might shock you (maybe not ,p), but I am also into F1 (only event I actually watch regularly) to me there is nothing more amazing than the package. Engines, cars, sounds, tracks (even Monaco) and new season is always the best of the lot. New car designs, new features, new rule-sets and no more grid girls, so we can finally see the cars instead of badly dressed models etc.

And primarily I am also curious how it changed with the new owner. Maybe I'll hate it or maybe not. Can't know that if I don't watch it

6. Re: Get F1 2015 for Free Mar 22, 2018, 19:29 eRe4s3r

theglaze wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 19:25:
10pm PDT on Saturday night is the first Grand Prix of the year, live from Australia, for those curious to see the DOPE 2018 cars in action!

8AM GMT

I am ready

No sleeping in this weekend Btw, Saturday 8am GMT qualifying, Sunday 8am GMT Race. Qualifying is imo just as much a must watch.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Content Plans
11. Re: Sea of Thieves Content Plans Mar 22, 2018, 19:23 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 14:44:
Maybe I'm becoming too much of a cynic in my old age but I think it's telling that the first thing they mention in talking about content they are looking to add to the game is cosmetic stuff. That ought to be at the bottom of the list seeing as the general consensus is that the game is lacking stuff to actually do. Not sure people will care too much about how they look if there's not enough stuff to do to keep them engaged.

I think I am more of a cycnic, my first thought was AH, they mean "game as a service" lootboxes and micro payments.

If this was an attempt to announce actual content then they need to hire new PR personal.

2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2018, 19:15 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 17:22:
It's impressive because it's real time rendering, as for cracking the uncanny valley - they still have some work to do.

I think they need to give increasing visual fidelity a rest and focus on creating AI that can match the expectations of interacting with "digital humans".

Voice and behavior AI is not that far. They already got systems that can ID your mood. And with they, I mean Japan and some international research groups. And adobe showed that AI algo can impersonate ANYONE with just 10 spoken words from a recording. More words = better impersonation. (as in, tone, modulation and way of speaking). This is important. AI like Google Assistant still fails at natural speaking. Google intentionally made it sound robotic too.

Once you put on your HTC VIVE 2.0 and see a digital human that you can not, for all intents and purposes, tell apart from a real human, then we will have achieved what we set out with this tech. Also then it begs the question whether an AI that behaves like a human and checks out all tests isn't in fact also a human.. with human rights. A digital human.... that on the other hand might be an ethical problem.

Maybe we should start with digital pets first...

12286 Comments. 615 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo