Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11051 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Giveaway
4. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Giveaway May 22, 2017, 23:03 eRe4s3r

Is this the game that needs like obscure fixes to even have readable font?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 22, 2017, 02:27 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2017, 23:34:
World of Warships is pretty fun. Not only does it have fun action, but it also has a deep strategic layer. That being said, it does grind after a while, so I moved on after about 50 or so hours.

It doesn't just grind With tier 6+ repair costs are 10% larger than average credit income for a win without premium....

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2017, 02:25 eRe4s3r

Avus wrote on May 21, 2017, 14:20:
Retired wrote on May 21, 2017, 12:50:
xXStellarDadXx wrote on May 21, 2017, 12:46:
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS no.1...never would have guessed that..anyway ...gotta get back to PUBG...

Yea it is well deserved. Even as an EA title it is really good. The server connections and lag are upsetting at times, but DUO and GROUPS games don't seem to suffer like SOLO does. The game is a blast. New map coming in a few months.

What do you mean it is an EA title? PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is developed by Blueshole Inc. - a South Korean game developer. It has nothing to do with EA.

EA (early access) FYI (for your information)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2017, 22:50 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on May 21, 2017, 21:51:
Am I the only one who gets annoyed that Science Fiction and Fantasy get lumped together so often? Granted, sometimes there isn't much difference.. Despite having read and enjoyed plenty of Fantasy novels, I just prefer Science Fiction and I find it disappointing they have to compete for the awards.

You are not the only one. I wonder this too ;( I read tons of sci-fi and fantasy, the genres are different enough. And especially because to me, sci-fi and fantasy are both umbrella genres (contained within -> many sub-genres)

But I can see how there can be conceptual confusion. When does something intended a fantasy writing become science-fiction. Does discovery of a space-tech bunker make something science-fiction when it's grounded in elves and dwarfs (or whatever other "magical" stuff)?

Or is it based on the source of the inspiration? I don't really understand that.

For example I have a hard time classifying WH40k as sci-fi.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
38. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 21, 2017, 21:20 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2017, 10:13:
Those things are well thought out, I would add free higher education like what is available in Germany. And much improved health care like the rest of the civilized world.

Yeah, don't believe that. Please not. Our education is not "higher", if you go to Bavaria and learn there, sure, if you are lucky enough to even get allowed into higher education (And yes, Bavaria sorts children out at 9 for primary or secondary education paths) then you will find education quality unbeknowns to public schools outside Europe, but what we have in education we lose due to Agenda 2010.

If you go to school in Hessen you might as well learn how to fill out a welfare form btw.

What jdreyer wrote could work in Germany too, but higher education has nothing to do with our economic "success", no, that's down to immoral cheap labor, Agenda 2010 destroying the entire middle class (it was the reform that implemented essentially slave-labor, timed-workers or rent-workers that have no strike rights) and extremely employer friendly laws to get extremely cheap labor at minimum wage + tons of exceptions for which the minimum wage can be reduced even further (which is 10,27 afaik, in Germany that is barely minimum living standard, with that wage you can survive, but you can't live).

We have an extremely regressive tax system that pushes low income households in high tax brackets (due to inflation) and we have a net reduction of wages from 1990 to 2010 by -23% and no, we did not magically have no inflation, that is the reason Germany has one of the best export economies, we fuck our own workers over so hard that we can economically fuck everyone else twice over. I am not proud of that, but amazingly no political party exists that would fight this.

The sad thing is, currently the zeitgeist is focused on internal security (Amri, what happened new year 2015/16, refugees, and all that) and the party that is fighting for more "fairness" is the party that implemented Agenda 2010 (SPD) I don't even know who to vote for, nothing I'd vote would lead to any change.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 21, 2017, 20:54 eRe4s3r

No, World of Tanks developers are greedy fucks making pay to win garbage and premium tanks that are OP as hell? YOU DON'T SAY.

Next time you tell me water is wet. Like really, can be applied to literally every p2w game.... the only reason for p2w is greed and the design team will always make it the worst possible experience for non-payers. Including rigged match making (World of Tanks has that) and premium tanks that get matched in matches where they have no natural balanced enemy.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
30. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 21, 2017, 02:57 eRe4s3r

KS wrote on May 20, 2017, 14:15:
jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2017, 14:01:
Creston wrote on May 20, 2017, 12:36:
Cutter wrote on May 20, 2017, 12:02:
And as always when robots replace all these people who's going to have any money to buy anything? It's self-defeating. That was one of the major reasons for the downfall of Rome. There were so many slaves in the empire that citizens couldn't find work. And that started the whole downward spiral of bread and circuses.

So we're all going to be gladiators for the robots? :o

No, we're going to be batteries. Duh.

In any case, I do agree that it's so short-sighted the way every single corporation RUSHES to automation. Have fun not selling anything and watching all your robots just sitting there doing nothing.
Well, this is the result of largely unregulated capitalism. We have a concentration of wealth that we've not seen since the robber barons 120 years ago. Basically, only government can overcome this trend, as it's in each individual corporate interest to be as efficient as possible, and robots are cheaper and more efficient that people for most jobs. Right now, laws are 98% correlated to what companies want, and only 50% (random chance) to what people want.

At minimum we need:
- Complete ban on corporate lobbying
- Total public funding of all elections
- Double the capital gains tax to help fund Medicaid/Medicare for the increase in the roles that job loss will create
- Remove the $100K cap on the payroll tax funding Medicare.
- A 30 hour workweek, to spread remaining work among more people.
- Increase the minimum wage to $16 per hour
- Subsidize retraining programs

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's a bunch more stuff that can help ameliorate this situation.

"I hate capitalism!!!" he typed out onto his iPhone, and pressed SEND, where it went out on the Internet, which was turned from a university toy into a massive, high-speed, worldwide phenomenon by trillions of dollars of private investment, and his message was read by dozens around the world, on other phones, and computers, and tablets like Star Trek had, these driven by still more trillions of dollars of private investment, where, had it been up to a government official rubbing his chin and pondering the next step, we'd still have vacuum tube TVs, and only that because of previous, un-stepped-upon capitalism.

Fair enough, but in age of robots, capitalism can simply NOT work any longer, so why stick to it? We need a new social design, a new society setup, a new work and life program. Working 48 hour jobs is a waste of life, and energy, you should spend energy in things you WANT to do not generating capital for the 1%.

Best retort on this someone told me, if there had been basic guaranteed income in 1930, Hitler would have remained a painter and Stalin would have become a journalist. Yeah, we would not have the Autobahn and the internet, maybe no nuclear race either. But my point is, we live in a day and age where science is based on interests of companies or on governments funding things. These things will not cease to exist when we supplant capitalism with a more welfare based capitalism.

Every year without basic income in a time of fundamental economic shift, you are breeding the next catastrophe by design. Capitalism will fail just like it failed 2000 years ago. Only this time we are, hopefully, smarter and have more technological and philosophical abilities to counter it. But if we run headlong into it, we will no doubt fall just like Rome.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 20, 2017, 19:49 eRe4s3r

Opera isn't really an option if you want to use noscript and uBlock origin... and don't want facebook in your browser.  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 20, 2017, 19:36 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on May 20, 2017, 18:17:
The SJW crowd has gone so far off the rails in their hunt for diversity that they are actively sabotaging it.

At this point , it's safer and less controversial to just make your game a bunch of boring straight white males. The Nazis and 4channers won't jump down your throat for "shoe-horning" diversity in, and the SJWs can't accuse you of cultural appropriation or nitpick your characters to death for not being perfect representations.

Activism is nice, but when your activism actually pushes people back towards the status quo, it's time to re-evaluate.

The big problem with any activism is that the more it uses methods used before by other more radical fringe groups it puts itself more towards the fringe, outside of social acceptance and far away from any accepted discussion in the political world. And the further the SJW complex becomes removed from the real world and real political opinion and open debate, the more it adopts and spreads positions sourced from the extreme fringes.

This entire cultural appropriation thing is one of the most absurd things to come out of that entire SJW complex. As if a cultural bond is a whimsical cut-able or steal-able thing, it's not. If I want to paint my Egyptian beauty in tribal colors that's what I do, that ain't cultural appropriation but a stylistic and artistic choice. I don't adapt any culture by doing that. Same way a German Women in a Dirndl isn't cultural appropriation of Wends and Slavs culture, it's German culture that was based of something.

my point is, a culture is not a thing but a group consensus.

I also think it's the wrong angle to attack such positions quickly without understanding the complex they come out of. At the core, SJW's have a totally flawed nearly fascist understanding of culture, what is is, and who can or can't have it, and that is the real problem. Remember, the ones usually bringing up culture in debates... what does that tell you about them? That to them culture stands above art and freedom of speech I think. And that sounds to me like fascism. Sure, the polarity of it is 100% reversed, but it doesn't get any LESS fascist just because oyu have a mirror position, the problem of fascism was always that it puts a groups opinion above all else. That it put a blanket above culture, that it monopolized a viewpoint and redefined it as a culture.

To me it is critically important that as a human being you accept that you don't have a monopoly of opinion about any culture. That you don't presume intentions or make assumptions. That you don't place your world view above all others. So yeah, to me SJW's, left radicals, right radicals... all the same. Different positions on the surface, but same disgusting smell. And while I said you shouldn't put your world view above all others, you are not required to like a position or opinion. But what all these groups have in common is that to them only 1 position is right, good and proper, and if you don't follow their smell you are an enemy.

TL;DR, if you think I am rambling, remember as a German, we have a very complicated history with "fascism" "communism" and "anti-fasicm" (all 3 are imo terrorists) so my viewpoint has become pretty jaded over the years.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2017, 19:59.

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
29. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 19:05 eRe4s3r

Your Destiny is packet loss, bad ping and host migrations.  

News Comments > Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit Released
2. Re: Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit Released May 18, 2017, 22:03 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on May 18, 2017, 20:45:
Someone play this and tell us how it is. Looks good.

Depends.. you like city builders where nothing changes once you build the basic supplies this one is great, but all these DLC's add no real challenge, only more "waiting" for income to roll in at the start, and income isn't really any issue later on anyway...

I found it great fun, until there is a point where you realize all the little things that piss you off, like how traffic AI doesn't know how a highway ramp works, or the way AI behaves with multiple lanes.. or how you can't (without mods) assign on a 4 lane road 3 lanes for a left turn and 1 lane for a straight lane. Etc...

And this DLC, well, if you like mass transit you will like the HUB, as it allows joining rail and subway (the only viable mass transit in this game) together. That this is a 13 feature is pretty lame imo, it should have been base functionality for railway and subway (which are base game transit), but alas....

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 17, 2017, 20:23 eRe4s3r

bozu wrote on May 17, 2017, 19:19:
Threadripper is almost as good a name as Taserface.

Hehe, Taserface, the scariest of em all.

News Comments > Free Phantom Dust for Win10
6. Re: Free Phantom Dust for Win10 May 17, 2017, 18:34 eRe4s3r

Flo wrote on May 17, 2017, 18:05:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 17, 2017, 07:38:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 16, 2017, 21:43:
While housekeeping my family W10 install for creators update I noticed.. it has the same god damn broken windows update "service freezes up, uses 1 core entirely" issue that plagued all other Windows versions... great. Had to actually use wsusoffline to patch Windows 10 ... feel like back in W7 times already

I thought they fixed this issue, but apparently not.

Good news, after doing wsus offline updates to patch up to the creators update, it now actually downloaded everything properly. But it still baffles me that this issue known since XP has not been fixed in W10.. that's just insane.

You may want to consider switching your family members that aren't gamers to Mint Linux. It's similar enough that they can do 99% of the same things without much hassle. About all a non-gamer will lose is potentially Blu-Ray playback(some work, some won't, etc.). There are some games supported natively of course, but nowhere near the selection of Windows. Big plus of course, is no spyware, and no potential for getting locked in to some ridiculous Microsoft decision down the line.

/End anti-Windows 10, Linux sermon.

hmm but I want them to have sound, so no Linux
Seriously, the recent outbreak has shown that you should just put them on Windows 10 Home Auto Update. No, this will not be the year of Linux on the desktop

Unless the updater (TIWorker.exe) freezes of course. ^^

Btw, did you know that even in Windows 10 1703, you can STILL "quiet" uninstall all patches with a simple console command that doesn't even trigger UAC? WTF MS, WTF indeed!

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer
10. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer May 17, 2017, 17:58 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on May 17, 2017, 17:41:
I'd think it's hard to deny that this game got very repetitive before its end, but somehow people here don't seem to have a problem doing so.

Yes, the combat was good but it was also easy AF. Who of you really needed that army the entire game was about getting? The storytelling was mediocre and once you turned your first 10 orcs and assassinated 3 others, you knew it was all rinse/repeat until the end. No more surprises after the first "tutorial" map.

The game was fun but to me almost felt like a prototype showing off the nemesis system. The early PR on this game was criminal, as well, showing off complicated nemesis sequences that never ever even remotely happened.

I guess how you think about the game in this regard is largely dependent on how much you paid for it. I got it for what, entire package with all DLC's 5 .. DLC stories were interesting, but they got really repetitive, yeah.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer
8. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer May 17, 2017, 15:41 eRe4s3r

Loved the first, will pick up the second (on a sale..)  

News Comments > F1 2017 in August
3. Re: F1 2017 in August May 17, 2017, 14:59 eRe4s3r

They are off to a good start, already this PR blurb confused me whether we get the ACTUAL 2017 cars, as in.. for Williams a car that doesn't even exist yet* but might somewhen mid-season, for the others post-Barcelona. Or are they gonna ignore the car developments during the season?

That said, this season (IRL) is pretty damn exciting to watch, the 2 top teams are basically an entirely different level, in Barcelona they overlapped half the field TWICE. (Which means these cars were over 4minutes slower altogether...) is this game gonna simulate that, too?

Is there an Alonso mode with suicide watch and psychological motivation agents?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 17, 2017, 14:47 eRe4s3r

This AMD reveal explains why fabs now plan to run GDDR6 .. HBM2 offers no benefits in bandwidth and nobody builds 8-Hi HBM2 modules. This is gonna be one of those high-end enthusiast cards. With no 8-Hi HBM2 (2x less modules for 16GB VRAM) the cost will be also be quite impressive.

Ps.: threadripper is gonna be a massive oversized thing
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/05/epyc_amd.jpg

Now that CPU is impressive ;p And why not, attack Intel where it hurts, in their insanely overpriced multi-core and data center segment.

News Comments > Steam Trading Card Changes
3. Re: Steam Trading Card Changes May 17, 2017, 05:05 eRe4s3r

Gonna be interesting to see whether this "algo" can actually figure out what is fake and what isn't.... it sure fails to tell what *I* want to play 9 out of 10 times, so how good can it be at other things?  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 03:00 eRe4s3r

Orogogus wrote on May 17, 2017, 02:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 17, 2017, 02:19:
So there is no real benefit to even enable family sharing....

It lets you share games in your library without giving the other person full access to your account, especially if you saved your payment information.

Ah... yeah that would the primary reason to use it. But it doesn't exactly give you any more freedom with your library. You still stuck to -1- played game on your account at any one time ;/

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 02:19 eRe4s3r

goatman wrote on May 16, 2017, 23:04:
As to the comment about having to buy multiple games for your household: Anytime I've had an online game I needed a second copy to be online at the same time on that game(Doom and Quake the exceptions). I recall any thing from ID Quake II range and on used punkbuster and did not allow same CDs keys at the same time. I had 2 soldier of fortune games for my nephew to join me online. Single player non-connected games were a different story.

Yeah, but family sharing kicks you out of ANY steam game that you play when another sharing PC starts ANY steam game on their end. It's the same functionality that you have when you don't enable family sharing (I can't actually tell any real difference) and just share 1 account login within your home network.

So there is no real benefit to even enable family sharing.... apart from some games that can flat out block it

If you have 2 PC's you can easily test it if you don't believe me, any 2 games will cause a drop. You have only the right to play 1 game at a time with your steam account, family sharing or not.

11051 Comments. 553 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo