Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10634 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 20, 2017, 23:13 eRe4s3r

There is a 4th privacy setting for telemetry -> "none" (on Enterprise/ Enterprise LTSB)

Just bringing that up, the update changes it from 4 to 3, not from 3 to 2.

Only basic/full for normal Windows though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stars in Shadow Released
4. Re: Stars in Shadow Released Jan 20, 2017, 01:58 eRe4s3r

You liked it more than Stellaris? Well at 79 hours played that is quite a statement. Can you elaborate?

Doesn't the combat slow the game massively down in late game?

News Comments > Might & Magic Showdown Early Access
2. Re: Might & Magic Showdown Early Access Jan 20, 2017, 01:55 eRe4s3r

Yeah, it's miniatures... PvP of all things. Linear progression, 11 skills or what, nothing much to it...  

News Comments > Diablo III Season 9 Underway
8. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 16:03 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 13:10:
I haven't played D3 since the first 2 months after launch, after it was obvious that there was no real end-game content other than replaying the same game at harder difficulties, since only about 5% of the game had "randomly" generated dungeons.

So let me get this straight, these "seasons" are just resetting ALL char progression, and starting fresh every few months? And each session would involve playing through the same content through multiple (I think there's 10 now?) difficulties?

That seems like a spiraling black-hole of repetition. I mean I do love the gameplay, but jesus, how many times can you play through the same campaign?

Game changed fundamentally since then, and especially with the addon. But the repetition point is true. It is not the campaign though, but rather the map tiles that start to repeat infinitely... especially in greater rifts. Rifts (the normal ones) are at least somewhat fun, and some areas are big open fields, which is where the game truly starts to shine. Enemy type is random in those rifts, in normal rifts you can find many unique treasure goblins (the blue gel ones are especially crazy)

To explain to you seasons I can assure you ain't nobody who plays Seasons that goes through the campaign Everyone goes bounties -> rifts -> greater rifts. And there is a good incentive to do seasons, season reward is often a complete set which allows you to (easily) experiment with a new build. I think if you disliked D3 wholesale from the start this wouldn't be something you enjoy doing though.

Surprisingly it is really a lot of fun to "level up" through a season. Which you can do very quickly nowadays, talking less than 5 hours to 60 if you do it lazily / chill. (and craft the "leveling" low level sets)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 15:55 eRe4s3r

Dacote wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 15:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 15:11:
snip
When in doubt, double down.

Oh well, literally the "worst" thing that can happen in a debate is that I am wrong or going down a slippery slope with my argumentation which devalues my point. All it does is help me build an actual opinion once I accept being wrong. Like in this case. ^^

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 15:11 eRe4s3r

Bodolza wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 13:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 13:30:
The video is a good example of fake news

I don't see anything fake about this video. I see a video of a freaked out dog being forcibly dropped into the water by his trainer. There are no cuts. It's not CGI. The dog very obviously doesn't want to do it. Whether or not they completed the scene is completely irrelevant.

First and foremost, there is a pretty major cut, if you didn't notice this, then maybe rewatch it again, but this time pay attention to everything else aside from the dog. This does not make the video fake, but it does make the video heavily edited. And secondly fake news does not mean the video is fake, it means the video/news is playing 100% on emotions.

What is not irrelevant however is whether this is *normal* inside the animal movie business. Like blues I don't think I could support something like this, ever. But I want a bit more than only 1 side of the story. I have no information beyond this video, and neither do you. If this is how the movie team handles the 5 dogs throughout then legal action against the animal trainer and federal animal supervisor is the only recourse and not emotional reactions.

But fact is also that a movie studio is gonna at least try to get the dogs to film a scene if the scene is part of the movie plot and the supervisor allowed it to be filmed, the only corrective here would be the animal supervisor (who is a federal employee!) and who has the right to stop such things from happening. So your real emotional outburst should be about why this scene was even allowed to be tried. The movie studio can't possibly know which scene is "OK" and which scene goes way beyond movie making and into abuse. Only the animal supervisor, who should know what he is doing, is able to know this and react to dogs not having any of that shit by stopping the attempt flat out.

And this is my problem with that TMZ news post. It plays on emotion to get clicks, it doesn't try to get the people responsible punished. You will note they don't even know who the animal supervisor is. They didn't ask for his side of this story. They didn't call the studio beforehand, they didn't ask any other animal supervisor for a 3rd party opinion. Because that would be journalism.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 19, 2017, 14:21 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 01:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 21:32:
I played PoE now for 15 hours again.. found 3 uniques.. they were not in any way fitting my playstyle or class (as in STR/INT when I needed VIT/DEX)

Best equipment I wear is crafted from high iLvl normal items which already have the fitting stats for my class.. YAY.. that is to me, not fun. (Also it can end up again, with STR/INT when you need DEX/VIT) PoE has an absurd crafting grind to match up dmg above lvl 29+. I am a huge ARPG fan, but PoE just repeatedly, even though I gave it 5 chances now, leaves me cold. I can't get into the story, I find the loot system unrewarding and boring, and I could say the same for Grim Dark. Such hope for these games, but none of em offer the kind of ARPG I want. (Neither does D3, but it gets close enough sometimes)

The quest for the perfect ARPG. This is the true end game.

Good luck, let me know if you find one. I'm still having fun with Grim Dawn, but I'm utterly burned out on D3, and never got really sucked into PoE, despite putting quite a bit of time into it, during beta and release. Still, Grim Dawn clearly has flaws and budget issues.

Maybe Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem will end up being the killer ARPG?

Maybe Vikings: Wolves of Midgard?

I think every ARPG is going to get stale eventually, either because the developers bow to the elitists/traders, like in Path of Exile, or to Efficiency addicts like Blizzard did for D3. Grim Dawn at least you can mod, but it's admittedly not end user friendly. Crate is going to release 2 more classes for Grim Dawn relatively soon(sometime this year), and there is a small mod scene, plus Grim Dawn's version of Defiler, so you can play around with certain aspects of the game.

Torchlight 2 arguably had some of the best design decisions for an ARPG, but the loot got boring, the graphics turned some people off, the class abilities weren't that great, so it fizzled pretty quickly.

Even though ARPGs are on the surface pretty simple, designing a REALLY good one seems to be extremely difficult. People will bring up D2, but go back and play the vanilla version of that game and tell me it doesn't have serious issues. Nostalgia glasses all over the place for any D2 discussion.

More on topic for the actual article: good luck to the PoE guys, hope they make some decent cash on consoles, but I'm done with that game.

That is very true.. it really is not that simple to make an ARPG that is good in all situations and that has longevity. I could rant a page long just about the "crit chance" and "attack speed" stats on items in D3.. and it really is not all that different in Grim Dawn and PoE. I loved Torchlight 2, the pet was useful!, the class abilities sucked and the graphics and feel was "meh"... sadly ;/ Closet perfect ARPG I ever had was a *heavily* modded Diablo 2, but D2 has a set of annoying flaws that I can not look past nowadays. Primarily of course, the UI and how skills work.

Wolcen looks neat, but it still way too early to tell....
And Vikings, well, made by Kalypso... so yeah

The joke is I actually want a controller style D3 (with dash, combo and physics) and real random dungeons, not the shit they call that in D3, nothing is random there. If you play long enough you can tell each tile and how it connects (joke is, in GR mode this is even a required skill). But I think this wouldn't go over so well with m/kb crowd. Add VR immersion, Necro and maybe a monster class character or 2, and my dream ARPG would exist, at least for a few hundred hours.

Ps.: grim dawn mods? WHAT? I need to check that out Necromancer class?

5. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 19, 2017, 14:06 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 05:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 21:32:
I played PoE now for 15 hours again.. found 3 uniques.. they were not in any way fitting my playstyle or class (as in STR/INT when I needed VIT/DEX)

Best equipment I wear is crafted from high iLvl normal items which already have the fitting stats for my class.. YAY.. that is to me, not fun. (Also it can end up again, with STR/INT when you need DEX/VIT) PoE has an absurd crafting grind to match up dmg above lvl 29+. I am a huge ARPG fan, but PoE just repeatedly, even though I gave it 5 chances now, leaves me cold. I can't get into the story, I find the loot system unrewarding and boring, and I could say the same for Grim Dark. Such hope for these games, but none of em offer the kind of ARPG I want. (Neither does D3, but it gets close enough sometimes)

You could always trade. There are a lot of people in PoE who will help you out at lower levels even with free gear. Also, I found the gear grind in PoE to be almost non-existant up until the higher difficulty levels. My best advice for new players of PoE would be to find and play with some friends.

You will laugh but that doesn't even enter my mind when playing ARPG's When I explore builds I don't do that in a group because the build and item combination you end up with is often deadly inferior in solo runs and you don't notice inferior builds right away in a group. This is particular important because I am switching (in D3) around 2 primary pet builds (one has the 50% attack speed on pets, the other doesn't but instead goes for a set interaction) and it makes a HUGE difference in groups. As in, the difference between Torment X wipes and max Torment chill. I am literally (nearly) immortal without the 50% attack speed buff... and in a group I have a hard time time telling a difference at this level of play.

Anyway, in PoE I would never trade a legendary because I still don't know which class I want to play yet. (the problem is they all kinda play the same... AOE install kill abilities rule the day, against bosses, DPS focus ability) I find that extremely strange, a game with such open skill system should really have way more interesting skills... aaaaanyyyway...

Yes, you are right, coop would make the game better, but it would not make my ability to build my (wanted) class better....

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2017, 15:20.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 13:30 eRe4s3r

The video is a good example of fake news and all the usual suspects instantly fall for it too (I would laugh, but that is really sad). edited to show a certain spin on a situation, we have no confirmation the audio wasn't added later, while taken as 2 separate events (which seems to be the case) both situations were handled correctly, trainer took the dog out of the water and in 2nd video (which was edited together to make it appear it's the same timeline) the dog went under and movie was cut and trainers rushed to the animal. TL;DR, 2 scenes did not finish recording because animal was having none of that shit.

You can argue the scene isn't dog friendly at all, but this is classic fake news. The scene wasn't shot, it was 2 attempts that were interrupted to safe the dog from (any further) harm.

Media competence is when you can spot such shenanigans.... sad, it is when you can't. Because it makes me wonder how many other videos were cleverly cut together (or apart) in order to misconstrue meaning.

For me personally, I think dogs and animals in general have no place in movies whatsoever. There was never an instance where that ended up being a good thing for the animals. But that isn't what I care about here, what I care about is that someone sent this vid to me and I had to google 50 fucking minutes to find the original unedited source, and there is none

And when the only source for something is a cut video on a click-based ad-revenue pseudo news site then my "fake news" detection gene starts up. If someone has actual sources on this please link. (as in, not self-referencing sources)

57. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 01:16 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 22:34:
I certainly understand the concern, and it is a valid concern. Well, as valid as it can be in this theoretical situation.

I give you Abraham Lincoln:

"The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Would he still say this post 2016 though, with Trump and Hillary and the whole political drama, if he lived now?

And of course it is a very theoretical thing to discuss, but that is how we enhance and expand our own opinions and perceptions of fantasy and science fiction themes. I also find this way the Aliens acted in Arrival quite funny, coming from the fact that I had just, like 2 hours before watching it, played and finished my Stellaris playthrough with heavy modding, where one of the choices for native species on planets on an observation outpost is to drop giant indestructible (unmanned) black monolithic devices on their heads and wait and see what happens when these devices generate certain fields and things (like food/unity/activity). Needless to say, the mod writers for this must have had the same skeptical nature as me, because 1 race simply migrated around the stones and never, EVER advanced being content and united, another developed a time-loop religion and 1 turn simply vanished, and when colonized gave me a -50 happiness modifier because apparently those settlers developed the technology to vaporize themselves and become living shadows bound to the walls of their settlements. (kudos to whoever wrote that..)

Anyway, just found the Arrival a very smartly made, but ultimately also debatable movie, especially the motivation of the aliens which wasn't really revealed aside from "we need your help in 3000 years from now", and could indeed be just a clever plot to enslave humanity under the guise of unity, or drag us into an interstellar war.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 18, 2017, 23:53 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 20:42:
I think their first mistake was creating a game that looks like a portmanteau of Dead Space and Mass Effect, notwithstanding the name they chose (Dead Effect).

Good thing they did not choose Mass Space I suppose.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 22:07 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:46:
Well, unless you are very pessimistic, you'd have to think there are a lot more people interested in a nice quiet peace instead of war. Hence, they could prevent someone from starting WW3... If you want to be optimistic, you might think anyone wanting to start a war wouldn't have the mindset required to understand the alien's language -- and hence it wouldn't be a problem.

I was left with the idea that it wasn't easy to do. "Ian" is unhappy with her decision -- ie.. presumably to have the child even knowing the outcome. This would seem to indicate he was unable to "stop" this decision, that he hadn't learned the language.

But the introducing of this language would not remove our urges and psychological limitations.
No, I think humanity would not be able to handle this "gift" without destroying itself in the process or creating some sort of "time lord" dictatorship on time perception and control. But then again, maybe I am a pessimist in this regard ;p

1. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 21:32 eRe4s3r

52. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 13:20 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 08:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:50:
TL;DR, or some weird aliens from "Arrival" come and teach us a way to perceive time non-linear, but if you have seen that, I just want to mention that the reality of that time perception is fucking depressing as shown in the movie. If you watched it, you will understand why that is maybe even worse fate than a hive mind.
Uh.. were you paying attention? It allowed Amy Adams to change things in her "past". I have to assume you would consider it might be useful to go back and change something you've done with the advantage of seeing the results of your decision.

The only depressing thing about it was the death of her daughter which she could only avoid by not having her. And clearly she feels the joy of having her outweighs the sadness of her death.

The ramifications of this are however less happy when you think "8bn people doing this to their past, at the same time"

while it would be interesting to my life to change something in the past, I would be astoundingly scared what would happen if this power came into the hands of a terrorist. Or a insane person that starts WW3 (you would argue that others could predict this.. I am arguing at this point we'd basically have time world wars..). This is not a gift to humanity, it is a curse.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 21:50 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 14:16:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 12:03:
One good super flu could fix things for us... I mean if 50% of the population was wiped out there would be plenty of resources for everyone. Yes, I am kidding. Sort of...

That would help for a couple of decades at best. A super flu wiped out half the population of Europe 400 years ago, and yet here we are. Ditto for WW1 and the Spanish flu.

I don't think this will lead to a better situation either way, the only way to fix this is we get hard-invaded by some superior Alien race that SOMEHOW manages to connect us to a hivemind but still retain individual thought patterns, but not individually driven urges aside from the absolute necessities.

TL;DR, or some weird aliens from "Arrival" come and teach us a way to perceive time non-linear, but if you have seen that, I just want to mention that the reality of that time perception is fucking depressing as shown in the movie. If you watched it, you will understand why that is maybe even worse fate than a hive mind.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
7. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 17, 2017, 21:23 eRe4s3r

Instead of GFW, eh GFE (talk about a badly named thing ,p), you can check "advanced" on driver install, and.. you know, not install it along with every other driver element you don't want/need. For me this gave me back a good 12FPS (but I have a shitty old GPU/CPU) because shadowplay was anything but a shadow, more like a moon dragging everything down with it, and it crashed hard when I wanted to actually stream (via steamlink) to my TV in some games

Oh well Just don't install this when you don't want it...

One thing that is even shittier though, is that by not using shadowplay (ie by disabling it) I am locked out of certain nvidia encoders... (only found later out that steamlink has an option for this, and if you don't setup shadowplay a certain way.. you get funny problems)

News Comments > Don Bradman Cricket 17 Released
4. Re: Don Bradman Cricket 17 Released Jan 17, 2017, 13:29 eRe4s3r

Most realistic? So a match can take 3 (real) days? That said, it does look pretty damn realistic  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 23:43 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 12:33:
Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 12:27:
The expression is "hang the rich" or "eat the rich". And why not? They're the social Darwinist psychopaths selling the rope to hang themselves with. It's a very real thing now. Most major economic conferences and groups are discussing it all the time now. They know the natives are getting restless and things can't keep going on like they are. The problem with being a self-serving psychopath however is that, while they understand it and can see it, they can't help themselves. I think were really starting to ramp up for WWIII at this point as politics are only going to keep getting more extreme. And when that happens, sooner or later bullets start flying everywhere.
Won't happen in our lifetimes, if ever -- "hanging the rich", that is. WWIII... much harder to say. I'd have to agree with those who have said the next global war will be over fresh water...

As long as masses are complacent nothing will change, and that said I don't think WW3 is gonna happen.. neither China nor Russia, nor the USA with trump, nor Japan, nor Europe are stupid enough for that. NK might be, but if they used even 1 bomb that country would disappear in a glowing fireball of ash. And there were are again, I doubt even the NK leadership is "dumb" they are just very sadistic dictators. And dictating over a nuclear wasteland is just no fun. And fresh water... I think first and foremost a war is gonna be about resources the elite wants to preserve their power, not resources the poor need to survive

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 10:49 eRe4s3r

But not all men are created equal in globalized capitalism, to deny the reality of our existence, is insanity. We've long since added a new layer to this whole nonsense, gender, race, religion, wealth. It's long since stopped being just about skin color.

8 men (yes, all of them MEN) have more wealth than combined 3.6 billion, those 8 sure are very equal among themselves...

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering Digital Plans
17. Re: Magic: The Gathering Digital Plans Jan 15, 2017, 00:13 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 22:11:
|RaptoR| wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 21:17:
What this doesn't tell you is that this re-imaging included laying off 30+ folks, many in IT and infrastructure, while keeping the game designers (whose poor judgement resulted in MTGO) and decision makers in place. Including leadership, who when asked during an internal town hall meeting what WotC was going to do in response Hearthstone, responded: "they aren't competing with us and we don't feel that we need to do anything"

Wow.

Staggering levels of incompetence. Can't say I'm surprised, but jesus, it's disheartening to hear some of the inside story about how bad they are.

Disheartening yes, but surprising.. well yeah, not really I guess ,) After HS what was their answer? Oh right... more of the same... well... after Duelyst? After Scrolls? Oh yea, more of the same. (same looking, same playing, but constantly newly released) games even.

It's staggering how incompetent they really are.

10634 Comments. 532 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo