Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10745 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
14. Re: Robots Feb 28, 2017, 14:47 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 18:17:

No, tokens and what you can buy with them would be an entire different economy. Only things produced by (specific) robotic factories would be available by tokens, as no human makes any money producing these things there would be no sense converting them. As robot factories spread, as AI gets better, more and more things would be put into the token system and more importantly, there would be state enforced 100% recycling required for all things that are sold via token. (Food aside) and the wares in the Token system would be illegal to import or export. They are locally only... AI manages production rates and amounts based on local AI governor systems.

This token would pay for the minimum life-style that is achievable by the current automation level of the nation, basically. And btw, as I said before, this would be a drastic change. It would not be a thing you can just make happen with a few laws. This would require an entire country adapting to the UBI, building robotic factories, fisheries, farms, bakeries, butcheries... the list goes on and on and on. This would be a project comparable with the moon landing. Ie. the costs would need to be stemmed in the current economic system. However the end goal is to do away with capitalism entirely, as 100% robotic workforces do not work in capitalism, obviously...

Think Tanks, Research and all these things, could be automated as well btw.. once AGI has been developed.

In order to bypass cash entirely, you would need an end-to-end system that was completely automated with no humans involved. That's centuries away. We need a system that can handle the production factory being 90% automated while the inputs to said factory are only 70% automated and sales of the outputs are still sold by at a 50% level by humans. Because that's where we'll be in 10-20 years, with 30-40% unemployment due to wide swaths of industry becoming 60-70% automated with no replacement jobs for people. How do you handle that?

Essentially by stretching social security systems and making massive debt to dampen the impact of what you describe. It would work only for countries that 1) export way more than they import and 2) have enough development level to actually BUILD and SUSTAIN a fully robotic infrastructure (ie, no extreme geographical distances). Or basically, I see the end-goal before me, but the path to it would be a total shitfest no matter what you do. Worse, poor nations would be totally fucked by this.

I think you could do it in less than a century, maybe 40 years for a 25% coverage (major city hubs for starts). If the system works, you'd end up with people moving into completed hubs and then it would at least soften the next 40 to 80 years this would take to really be 100% self-sustaining.

But yeah, if you think this will be a pretty transition that's not gonna happen. The slower governments react, the less effort they put into this transition, the worse it will get....

And as you say, it will take centuries, but if the start is not done soon then there won't be anything left in a few centuries. And that's not something we would want, or is it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Avatar Game Announced
2. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 14:17 eRe4s3r

The news should read "for *ANOTHER* " game in the Avatar universe.

Because there was already 1 of those, and it sucked.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 28, 2017, 14:16 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:11:
Based on my experience using wireless mice and keyboards, I think I'll stick with wired headsets.

Same here, haven't seen a single wireless device that could sustain this kind of FPS at that resolution, and none of the tech details I saw so far explained how they wanna fix interference and latency issues and the most important one, weight. You'd have to strap 2kg worth of batteries to your head or an extra belt, good luck sitting with that... heh

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda
67. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda Feb 28, 2017, 07:31 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 20:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 05:09:
DarkCntry wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 01:47:
Bundy wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 00:02:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 22:35:
prelim reports stress the "action" part of action-RPG on this one... only combat related skills and abilities.. no dialog or interaction type upgrades.. also has a "you are the messiah" based story, and yes, the "DA:I in space" format is confirmed as well (makes sense because you were the messiah in that one too)

I better be the damn Messiah. If I wanted to be a random nobody, I'd put the controller down and spend time with my family, go to work, watch TV.

What I understand is that you are actually the child of the Messiah in Andromeda, so that is a bit of a change of pace.

Yeah I don't get what the problem with that is anyway, as Bundy said, if I wanted a normal dude I'd play real life. And chances are in real life, we will never ever see a pathfinder program of this scale and scope in our lifetimes. Maybe if we are lucky we see Moon for Heł, and Mars colonization.. MAYBE.

Either way, I am hyped for this, there can never be "too much" Mass Effect, and I liked DA:I.... makes me the minority here? Is it so weird to enjoy Mass Effect trilogy, Final Fantasy 13-2, Gothic as a whole, Dragons Dogma and Dragon Age as a whole?

My core genre is definitively RPG, but I don't care much for specifics, you give me a well made or even great experience in a fantasy or sci-fi realm and you nearly by definition have me sold. But then I also liked Mars Logs... however rough that was, it was unique

You liked FFXIII-2? I fucking LOVE that game! Only FF game other than & that I've fully replayed more than once. Oh and the soundtrack is by far the best FF soundtrack of all time, possibly of the genre.

Also, I'm a huge DA:O fan, not so much of the sequels, I mean they're still great games, but the strategic combat was pixel-perfect in DA:O

Yeah, I adore FF13-2, soundtrack, characters and setting, the world, as in, seriously the only FF I liked of ALL of them.

And yes, I played all of them. (Except 15)

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2017, 07:44.

12. Re: Robots Feb 27, 2017, 18:17 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 13:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 05:39:
It would be feasible, but I guess if my idea gained traction we'd not be calling it UBI anymore.

I would only pay out decaying (30 days lifetime) non transferable, DNA bound tokens. All basic* living necessities could be payable with Tokens, but there'd be a huge up-front caveat, all industries to include in this thinking, would have to be 100% automated and not use imported resources as base.

*Internet at mandated speed (50mbit or 100mbit or whatever), Power, Water, Food, Clothes, Social activities

And this right there is where you incentivize working again. Because tokens only pay for so much of that, if you want "more" you have to work in jobs that benefit society and reduce gov costs, and not companies. This could be child-care, teaching, police, maintenance, infrastructure (power/water/internet) and manufacturing in whatever requires imported goods. These jobs would be mandated in companies and a human would always be prioritized over a robot. And yes, these jobs would be heavily taxed.... but you'd still have more than someone who only subsides on tokens.

But overall, I think UBI with real money can never work. It will have to be a token currency. And it would probably have to be very fine grained one at that (ie. local produce is always prioritized etc.)

The goal of UBI in my thinking, by the way, is not to keep people from becoming criminals, but to transfer nations from capitalism to ecologism, where everything produced has some thing attached to offset the damage to the environment. And this is also why the tokens would be non transferable and not saveable

And then the businesses exchange the tokens with the government for cash? We need to keep the motivational aspects of the market system while getting a broader distribution of wealth. That's the secret to a healthy economy.

No, tokens and what you can buy with them would be an entire different economy. Only things produced by (specific) robotic factories would be available by tokens, as no human makes any money producing these things there would be no sense converting them. As robot factories spread, as AI gets better, more and more things would be put into the token system and more importantly, there would be state enforced 100% recycling required for all things that are sold via token. (Food aside) and the wares in the Token system would be illegal to import or export. They are locally only... AI manages production rates and amounts based on local AI governor systems.

This token would pay for the minimum life-style that is achievable by the current automation level of the nation, basically. And btw, as I said before, this would be a drastic change. It would not be a thing you can just make happen with a few laws. This would require an entire country adapting to the UBI, building robotic factories, fisheries, farms, bakeries, butcheries... the list goes on and on and on. This would be a project comparable with the moon landing. Ie. the costs would need to be stemmed in the current economic system. However the end goal is to do away with capitalism entirely, as 100% robotic workforces do not work in capitalism, obviously...

Think Tanks, Research and all these things, could be automated as well btw.. once AGI has been developed.

56. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda Feb 27, 2017, 17:51 eRe4s3r

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 13:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 05:09:
prelim reports stress the "action" part of action-RPG on this one... only combat related skills and abilities.. no dialog or interaction type upgrades.. also has a "you are the messiah" based story, and yes, the "DA:I in space" format is confirmed as well (makes sense because you were the messiah in that one too)

I better be the damn Messiah. If I wanted to be a random nobody, I'd put the controller down and spend time with my family, go to work, watch TV.

What I understand is that you are actually the child of the Messiah in Andromeda, so that is a bit of a change of pace.

Yeah I don't get what the problem with that is anyway,

the problem is that its lazy writing.. its a boring trope thats been used hundreds of times before, and it railroads the story in certain ways that are entirely obvious if you are at all familiar with the trope, which should be everyone by now.. so its not nearly as interesting, doesnt have as many ways to surprise you, and locks out tons of possibilities...

the Witcher 3 was great in so many ways and one of them is that you are just a supporting character for the messiah (Ciri) but beyond that goes on to prove that a working-man hero monster slayer is actually much more interesting at the end of the day than THE CHOSEN ONE WHO SAVES THE WORLD FOREVER AND ALWAYS WITH THE ALMIGHTY POWER OF INFINITE POWER

the other implication is that if the basic plotline is so lazy and unoriginal, whats to say everything else isnt just as lazy and unoriginal?

Meh, I will be judging that when it's out and not before. And I don't think using tropes devalues a story (Aside from us not dying which would be game-over, and ME3 even subverted that trope, in case you forgot, that was the least popular ending ever)... everything has already been written when you consolidate it to the core logic, that argument is therefor completely irrelevant. Either a game world is immersive or it isn't, and there is no way you could make any judgment to that effect without playing the game through first. And aside from the cringy default template for fem-shep I have not seen anything yet of the story, and that is a good thing. I detest spoilers

Also that would make a pretty damn bad RPG story if you wouldn't be playing the main character of it. And you are not seriously saying that in W3, Geralt is not the main character, right? Ciri would be dead or slave to some dimensional invader without Geralt.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2017, 06:01 eRe4s3r

Fantaz wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 18:10:
the modders got what what they expected, trying to charge money for a mod...

Yeh, if they had been smart they would have opened a Patreon project instead

10. Re: Robots Feb 27, 2017, 05:39 eRe4s3r

It would be feasible, but I guess if my idea gained traction we'd not be calling it UBI anymore.

I would only pay out decaying (30 days lifetime) non transferable, DNA bound tokens. All basic* living necessities could be payable with Tokens, but there'd be a huge up-front caveat, all industries to include in this thinking, would have to be 100% automated and not use imported resources as base.

*Internet at mandated speed (50mbit or 100mbit or whatever), Power, Water, Food, Clothes, Social activities

And this right there is where you incentivize working again. Because tokens only pay for so much of that, if you want "more" you have to work in jobs that benefit society and reduce gov costs, and not companies. This could be child-care, teaching, police, maintenance, infrastructure (power/water/internet) and manufacturing in whatever requires imported goods. These jobs would be mandated in companies and a human would always be prioritized over a robot. And yes, these jobs would be heavily taxed.... but you'd still have more than someone who only subsides on tokens.

But overall, I think UBI with real money can never work. It will have to be a token currency. And it would probably have to be very fine grained one at that (ie. local produce is always prioritized etc.)

The goal of UBI in my thinking, by the way, is not to keep people from becoming criminals, but to transfer nations from capitalism to ecologism, where everything produced has some thing attached to offset the damage to the environment. And this is also why the tokens would be non transferable and not saveable

39. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect: Andromeda Feb 27, 2017, 05:09 eRe4s3r

Yeah I don't get what the problem with that is anyway, as Bundy said, if I wanted a normal dude I'd play real life. And chances are in real life, we will never ever see a pathfinder program of this scale and scope in our lifetimes. Maybe if we are lucky we see Moon for Heł, and Mars colonization.. MAYBE.

Either way, I am hyped for this, there can never be "too much" Mass Effect, and I liked DA:I.... makes me the minority here? Is it so weird to enjoy Mass Effect trilogy, Final Fantasy 13-2, Gothic as a whole, Dragons Dogma and Dragon Age as a whole?

My core genre is definitively RPG, but I don't care much for specifics, you give me a well made or even great experience in a fantasy or sci-fi realm and you nearly by definition have me sold. But then I also liked Mars Logs... however rough that was, it was unique

News Comments > Dawn of War III Beta Survey
15. Re: Dawn of War III Beta Survey Feb 27, 2017, 04:55 eRe4s3r

DarkCntry wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 21:15:
KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 18:42:
Yifes wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 14:43:
KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 14:37:
Don't be fooled, this lost basically all of its true w40k roots.

How so? Also, considering how many "true" 40k games are absolute garbage, does it matter if they take some liberties as long as the game is good?

Correct, u refering to most of the shovelware titles that come out by no name developers to try to attract w40k fans to buy a game using the license.

However, in this case they really dumped w40k rules, they basically abandon all the violence and darkness of w40k that was still noticeable in dow1 and even dow2, and worst of all the game looks like a cartoon, the graphics are in many areas actually a step back even than dow2. Technically this is a high budget shovelware moba game with w40k sticked to it to try and catch w40k fans. Oh and did I forget, there is no last stand game mode in it, a mode that kept dow2 alive for years. without last stand noone would be playing dow2 anymore.

http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/7YMcHVoMWjWnv6RV5cxKwh.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KpsNsgUmPoI/maxresdefault.jpg
http://www.gamingdragons.com/images/game_img/screenshots/dawnwar2gold/dow2c%20(5).jpg
https://www.instant-gaming.com/images/products/1322/screenshot/1322-1.jpg

Funny, kinda looks about the same, sans the 'cleaning up' of the models

If anything it's surprising I can hardly tell DoW2 and this "new" game apart, that first screenshot looks worse than DoW2, much fewer details, no ground height differences and particle effects. It's like they went back and gimped the engine.... but then again, showing an ice world is maybe what does that.. mhh. The DoW2 ice worlds looked a lot better (grimmer)

14. Re: Dawn of War III Beta Survey Feb 27, 2017, 04:52 eRe4s3r

Cyant wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 21:55:
The only mode I enjoy other than doing the campaign once is Last Stand. No Last Stand, no buy.

The funny thing is, if you merged Last Stand game mode, random loot drops (at least a few thousand different items), and rogue lite elements, you'd have a fucking win (SP, COOP)! On top of that add base building and character interaction that gives you more and more options as the last stand campaign goes on. And maybe even xeno support

Ah, but an empty hope it is. Relic forgot how to do good RTS

I enjoyed DoW2 much more than 1, although I have both installed (1 with heavy modding, obviously) and DoW2 just because I really enjoyed the last stand mode.

5. Re: Dawn of War III Beta Survey Feb 26, 2017, 15:03 eRe4s3r

Yifes wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 14:43:
KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 26, 2017, 14:37:
Don't be fooled, this lost basically all of its true w40k roots.

How so? Also, considering how many "true" 40k games are absolute garbage, does it matter if they take some liberties as long as the game is good?

Not to mention that when it comes to good rts with great production value we really have been handed the "shit" card the past year. There have been what, 5 decent rts games in the whole of the year? This genre is getting pretty damn dead. And though we get AI War 2 and Dawn of War 3, what besides that? Where is the next Anno game? Where is the next great RTS with a story and characters? Where is the next Warcraft ? Heck, even Star Craft 3?

So yeah, DoW3 is gonna be what it is, but at least it is an RTS.

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
24. Re: ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction Feb 25, 2017, 17:11 eRe4s3r

Dev wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 15:51:
Dacote wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 15:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 15:25:
And Trumps brother is part of the board You can't make this shit up that's how absurd it is. It's not just nepotism, it's elitist class-focused scumbags pushing each other into jobs where they don't belong. Creating in essence a caste system

Jimmy Hoffa is a silent partner. Creating in nonsense a casket-less system. spooky
Actually, he is. I googled before posting sarcastic replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Media
ZeniMax's Board of Directors consists of eight individuals:
[...]
Robert S. Trump (President, Trump Management, Inc.)

Edit:
Also
https://www.zenimax.com/about

Although to me, it's just as interesting that the board of directors includes people like:
Jerry Bruckheimer
Leslie Moonves

Heh, I thought this was well known... It's one of the reason I harbor a subconscious dislike for Zenimaxx for a few decades now... but it also just so happens that they, sometimes, make pay for great games.

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
20. Re: ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction Feb 25, 2017, 15:25 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 11:04:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 10:43:
You all know the reason that Zenimax is so quick to litigate, Right?

Lynda Carter's husband, Robert Altman, is a partner / one of the head honchos at Zenimax and he is an Attorney. This is also why they get Lynda to do Voice Acting in their games.

Nepotism! Ucrazy

I just knew it! Bigcry

And Trumps brother is part of the board You can't make this shit up that's how absurd it is. It's not just nepotism, it's elitist class-focused scumbags pushing each other into jobs where they don't belong. Creating in essence a caste system

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: How freedom was lost. Mark this date on your calendar. Feb 25, 2017, 08:13 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 22:11:
manbaby can't handle the truth.

hhehehe I have to admit I find this pretty funny, because those few who still attended, showed their true colors.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda System Specs
5. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda System Specs Feb 25, 2017, 05:46 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 00:40:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 21:39:
if its close to the same Frostbite engine they used in BF1, then that would be excellent - because that one runs great and looks awesome at the same time

The more I play UE4 the more angry I get, that engine for some reason has no scaling. running 4k gives you literally 25% the performance. No other engine operated like that, don't really know what they're doing. It seems optimized for 1080 resolutions.

I dunno if you intended it that way, but this is really funny

4k pixels = 8.294.400
HD pixels = 2.073.600

Now take a wild guess why you see 25% of the performance of HD ^^ But it can also be because AO/DOF/AA/SS was active. All screenspace effects will add a HUGE frame delay. 4 times as much screenspace, after all.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 24, 2017, 13:33 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 12:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 12:27:
Simon Says wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 11:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 08:48:
Remains to be seen how the 6 core versions fare, probably much better For gaming the only thing that matters is single *thread* and if you render in Cinema4D or 3dsmax, the ryzen 1800x is something to consider.

Welcome to reality

Facts are busting this old myth up good^^

Interesting read, thanks But only with latest Titan GPU... so meh.

So meh? Its the worst case scenario for a CPU. Especially those 720p graphs, if its fine at 720p with a Titan XP, it'll be fine at any res higher than 720p with any GPU.

Oh, and one last thing... Userbenchmark shows that the kabylake VS ryzen ST scores are comparable for some workloads. Mind you, Kaby is using Turbo there and goes up to 3.8ghz on this chip in ST, Ryzen is not and stays at 3.4ghz in this test with turbo disabled.

So the Kaby has a 11.76% ghz advantage.

Kaby VS Ryz scores source

SC Mixed:
Ryz @ 3.4 = 111
Kaby @ 3.8 = 111

SC Int
Ryz @ 3.4 = 98.8
Kaby @ 3.8 = 114 ( 15.3% advantage )

SC Float
Ryz @ 3.4 = 109
Kaby @ 3.8 = 122 ( 11.9% advantage )

Pretty even on the float IPC wise when you consider the 11.76% ghz advantage of Kaby, which is all that matters for gaming.

Well "meh" because that setup costs way too much for my taste.

I guess we will truly see on march 3rd when that silly NDA lifts, I am very curious to see some proper and vast benchmarks, especially deep look at memory perf, noise and power curves, especially idle behavior, and boost behavior. But if I am honest, 8 core doesn't interest me, I want 6 cores for sub 250€ , so yeah... ^^

When I compare cpu, I compare same price cpu's.... but also the platform price itself. And Ryzen not supporting W7 already pisses me off.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2017, 12:54 eRe4s3r

The reason you can't go per annual income is that DMCA claims can (and do) come from (fake?) non-profits or gov sponsored shit-houses sitting in high corruption countries. They don't post annual income because they have none  

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Awards
4. Re: D.I.C.E. Awards Feb 24, 2017, 12:48 eRe4s3r

TF2 clone gets achievement for game design.. heh so copying existing games with better art style is achievement worthy now, but only if your name is Activision.. good to know ^^  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2017, 12:59 eRe4s3r

Kajetan wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 09:09:
Pigeon wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 08:39:
This sounds more like a nuke it from orbit strategy, targeting anything that even hints at infringement, regardless of actual content, and then issuing take downs for sites that don't even exist yet, but could exist in the future, and might have infringing material on it. That's nuts, and Google is okay with it, they just don't want more rules. I shudder to think what more would look like.
Do you know what this is?

Its probably fraud. Probable DMCA takedown fraud by the service contractor the rights holder use to enforce their copyright:

https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-site-with-no-traffic-attracts-49m-mainly-bogus-dmca-notices-170219/

"So in summary, APDIF makes up its own URLs, MP3Toys randomly generates a page of music that has nothing to do with the URL input, APDIF logs it as an infringement of its clients’ rights, and sends a complaint to Google."

Like the click fraud some service contractors are doing in the realm of online advertising, this seems to me like "DMCA notice fraud" to scam the copyright holders.

Exactly, it is a method for the brazil scam outfit to fudge numbers and get more gov funds to do, yeah.. what exactly? DMCA random pages that don't exist until you search for them (That is truly meta) ;p

10745 Comments. 538 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo