Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10938 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Tower in the Sky - Tactics Edition Released
2. Re: Tower in the Sky - Tactics Edition Released May 2, 2017, 05:53 eRe4s3r

I feel like I have played something like this just last month.. and it looked better and was a rogue lite... (Forgot the name though ,p)  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2017, 05:49 eRe4s3r

The problem with live-TV is that it's live-TV; if I wanted that, I'd watch actual TV

And Netflix Germany is 1/12th of USA and does not have any of the shows I am actually watching, (GoT, Expanse, Doctor Who)

To see GoT I'd have to subscribe to Sky, and if I wanted to see Doctor Who I'd have to take the train to England, and to see The Expanse I'd have to subscribe to Netflix except Netflix Germany only has season 1 of The Expanse (seriously!)

Maybe at some point someone in power realizes that the above situation is fucking stupid

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 2, 2017, 02:01 eRe4s3r

Looking up where this happened I see that half the cities are in yellow flood zones (aka, floods semi-regularly every 2 to 10 years)

Does the gov there just not give a shit? That is incredibly sad.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 1, 2017, 02:21 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on May 1, 2017, 02:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 1, 2017, 00:23:
Btw, I don't really agree that the genre needs a hiatus, but what I would happily agree is that after DoW 2, they should have picked a direction for this and go with it, but instead they made something that somehow manages to piss both fan groups (DoW1 and DoW2 fans)

And as I said before, I really really enjoyed the DoW 2 gameplay... if they had given DoW 3 some advanced random mission system, and maybe a bit deeper roleplaying with a better loot system that is deeply ingrained in the lore of Wh40k I'd have been extremely happy. I have not touched MP in a RTS since SC2, and I don't intend to ever do that. And in SC2 I only play coop.

Except your description of the ideal DoW3 isn't an RTS. It's essentially squad-based Diablo (which is what many DoW fans disliked about DoW2). If another DoW does get made, I wouldn't be surprised to see it commit to that direction because the traditional RTS genre seems just about dead.

At this point, I'm not sure what it would take to rejuvenate the RTS genre without changing it completely like MOBAs did. It's not like there's been a lack of good RTS games in recent years. It's just that nobody seems to care about them anymore.

Mhh, good point. I guess in a sense I want the RTS genre to actually change the idea of RTS so fundamentally that at the end, it probably wouldn't be called RTS anymore. That is not a bad thing imo. Because when it comes down to it gaming will be defined by new experiences, you won't become a huge success nowadays unless you apply INSANE polish and money to an existing idea (GTA5, $200m dev budget), or you come up with a new idea, or advance a good idea that hasn't been done really well yet (asymmetric, nearly rogue-lite, RTS gameplay, comes to mind).

And imo if you want to rejuvenate the genre the first thing you gotta do is look at all conventions defining this genre and burn them down. This isn't just RTS, it's also 4x and in some ways RPG's. They all got so tight conventions nowadays that the "off-shoots" are few and far between. I can't even remember a AAA game that did something relatively unique in the past decade. Maybe except a few, Nier: Automata comes to mind.

To me, one of the greatest insults you can throw at a game is calling its gameplay formulaic. And there are so many games where you could legitimately throw that insult at any release the past decade and not hit anyone falsely.

I wouldn't have minded a true DoW 1 successor btw, to me it's not about that though. I can happily spend 150hours or more in a game like Factorio. So I don't mind games that have no really story and just a REALLY good core-gameplay loop, but it has to have some complexity and depth to it that many many AAA titles do not have.

I also have a hard time connecting with reviews nowadays... but whatever. It's rare to see a game have such a huge disconnect between professional reviewers and steam reviews. Remember, steam reviews that are only counted for paying customers. Meaning 50% hated the game that they paid money for. And many reviewser are 25 hours or more in the game too.

It's just.. I don't like this direction the game industry takes at all.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 1, 2017, 00:23 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 23:10:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 22:20:
KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 18:33:
Too bad dow3 sucks.

But so do the sales of it
http://steamspy.com/app/285190

150k owners hehe, game is a total flop (for Sega)

But on the other hand, this makes me really really sad, because it means DoW3 may be the death of the series.

The game's been out for 3 days. Bit premature to call it a flop. I don't think SteamSpy can even collate accurate numbers within 3 days. Give it a month and check again.

If the game does flop, it may be the final nail in the coffin for traditional RTSes. Starcraft 2, CoH2 and pretty much every RTS released in the past 10 years has sold below expectations. Developers have made attempts to update the genre to make it more appealing to modern audiences but all that does is piss off older fans. Conversely, if they stick to tradition, the customer base is too small to justify rising development costs.

It might be time for the RTS to go into hibernation for a decade or so and then make a resurgence like CRPGs have.

Well of course we will know more in a week or so, but generally speaking, 4 days = 25% of owners, 8 days = 90% of owners. (after a full week you'd expect anyone who wanted it to have bought it. After 2 weeks will know for sure, but it doesn't look good for Sega.

Btw, I don't really agree that the genre needs a hiatus, but what I would happily agree is that after DoW 2, they should have picked a direction for this and go with it, but instead they made something that somehow manages to piss both fan groups (DoW1 and DoW2 fans)

And as I said before, I really really enjoyed the DoW 2 gameplay... if they had given DoW 3 some advanced random mission system, and maybe a bit deeper roleplaying with a better loot system that is deeply ingrained in the lore of Wh40k I'd have been extremely happy. I have not touched MP in a RTS since SC2, and I don't intend to ever do that. And in SC2 I only play coop.

Btw: Steamspy is usually pretty good baseline even early on, currently you need to multiply owners by 2 though, that's the inaccuracy this early. So it's at 300k owners give or take. Eventually the data will catch up to this number, but yeah, it IS a premature extrapolation
And 300k~ owners is not bad, but I don't think Sega would agree....

I really hope this does NOT kill the AAA RTS genre as whole

This comment was edited on May 1, 2017, 00:43.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2017, 22:20 eRe4s3r

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 18:33:
Too bad dow3 sucks.

But so do the sales of it

150k owners hehe, game is a total flop (for Sega)

But on the other hand, this makes me really really sad, because it means DoW3 may be the death of the series.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored
35. Re: Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored Apr 30, 2017, 09:41 eRe4s3r

swaaye wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 11:42:
And on PC they didn't fix the stuttering pre-rendered video cutscenes. How hard can it be to make some videos play smoothly...

Surprisingly hard, apparently, I have the same issue in nearly every "bink" video but not in some others.. drives me crazy, and can't find the source ;/

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 29, 2017, 10:55 eRe4s3r

El Pit wrote on Apr 29, 2017, 09:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 20:35:
If the original writers didn't intend a KKK reference then a translator has no business putting it in. It is that simple.

Whitey Whiteman, the hired translator, still insists the KKK reference is NO typo!

And let us all remember who hired him. The company that he just refused the request of because including a KKK mention could easily not be taken as a joke, certainly for quite a few Americans. And it could get them kicked from retail channels (which matters for PS4 release I guess...)

Just overall a really absurd news piece.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 29, 2017, 10:42 eRe4s3r

Couldn't hold that beer for longer than the first few lines

But Strawberrynet really takes the cake.

Edit: I meant cake, not take

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2017, 11:05.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 28, 2017, 20:35 eRe4s3r

If the original writers didn't intend a KKK reference then a translator has no business putting it in. It is that simple.  

News Comments > Uncut Half-Life in Germany
4. Re: Uncut Half-Life in Germany Apr 28, 2017, 10:30 eRe4s3r

It was available in Germany since day 0 though, just had to know how to ask the store clerk Every single pc shop that was worth anything had these (uncensored) boxes with a glaring red "do not sell to minors" "under the counter" and I am not kidding

Btw, HL1 was ok, Unreal 1 was better I will never forget that starting flyover over that that castle with particle torches and reflections, water and everything. That was one of the defining moments for me, and everyone that saw it (had 2 friends over back then for the first go at the game) got sucked in and stuck to pc gaming ever since. Hl1 for us came later and if you had seen Unreal 1 first, HL1 was really ugly to look at actually.

News Comments > Prey System Specs
9. Re: Prey System Specs Apr 28, 2017, 01:46 eRe4s3r

To be honest, I've seen 2 previews from Gronkh (German youtube let's player) and liked what I saw... tons of gameplay variations later on as well, tons of interesting stuff to discover in the maps (and that was just the first 2 hours..)  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 28, 2017, 00:40 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 23:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 05:21:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 04:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 22:34:
But hey, apparently the USA doesn't want tourism
"They" do want, so what was the reason for his bad experience? The vacation itself? Entry formalities? Some TSA shithead having a bad day (well, they actually do have only bad days)?

A mix of TSA (apparently his wife got manhandled by the TSA, random sexual abuse services?), hotel personal being stupid (delayed check-in...) and a mugging (not of him, of his room) he didn't lose his papers, but quite a few things he had let in the room obviously. Hotel seemed to have handled this quite badly as well ... But at that point he was angry again and I didn't really fancy talking to old angry neighbor any longer.

Of course, that's not to say that all trips to the USA go down like this.. or one would hope.
Was the hotel a Trump joint?

Nah, from what I gather it was in the country side, but I didn't ask ;p Was a weird enough talk to have at 5am in the morning on the street. (and it was -3C, yeah, in mid April)

News Comments > Dawn of War III Released
26. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 21:50 eRe4s3r

Flatline wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 14:27:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 12:57:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 12:55:
Wahhhh. Waaaahhh never changes.
Unlike this series.
Wish they would have updated the original instead of what they did

I know Dawn of War 2 fizzled because it went away from traditional RTS and went super micro-managed but I f*cking *loved* that game. I probably put 300 hours into it and just played it through a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. My only complaint was that the Chaos Rising expansion had a weird loot distribution to it.

I think it would have done better if it wasn't a dawn of war title.

I loved DoW 2 campaign too, probably played it 3 or 4 times and it was always different since the various level up things really gave you different options... kinda sad we don't get to see a real continuation of this

Sales for DoW 3 are gonna be interesting once steamspy updates as well....

News Comments > Dawn of War III Released
25. Re: Dawn of War III Released Apr 27, 2017, 21:39 eRe4s3r

Drayth wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 15:53:
Wow, I just read some Steam reviews on what they did to the gameplay. Think I'll pick up Warhammer Total War instead.

That one IS good, right?
If you wait for the bundle sale when Warhammer 2 drops, with all the DLC, then yeah. Since the games are supposed to somehow integrate into each other. So wait for the summer sale. Which we all know comes

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2017, 09:20 eRe4s3r

Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 07:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 05:21:
But at that point he was angry again and I didn't really fancy talking to old angry neighbor any longer.
Understandable

Of course, that's not to say that all trips to the USA go down like this.. or one would hope.
I visit relatives on a regular basis and can say NOTHING positive about the TSA employees. Worst of the worst! How are they trained? Are they trained at all? Everytime they give me the feeling that foreigners should stay at home. Not because they are xenophobic or racist. Which some of them clearly are. Because most of them are lazy fucks who are annoyed with everything resembling work!

Where do you get these people? Why are they employed for a job where one has to deal with people from other nations?

I can imagine that working at a job like that requires the kind of person that enjoys groping random strangers... and maybe not the kind of person you want around children, or in charge of actual security.

News Comments > Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room?
14. Re: Vivendi and Ubisoft to Finally Get a Room? Apr 27, 2017, 08:25 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 04:55:
Avus wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 02:11:
i feel nothing that Ubisuck was bought by some other company.... It really means nothing for the gamers

Same. I don't get the EA hate anymore,because I actually like many of their new releases. Ubisoft on the other hand has been throwing that same boring as FUCK formula over all of their new games. And Division was a failure beyond comparison.

Yeah.. but hating on ubisoft is equally pointless, all the things I hate them for (shoving uPlay down my throat, what they did to Anno and most importantly, what they did to Silent Hunter) are things that likely won't improve in any way with a media conglomerate behind it that has literally no profit strategy.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored
33. Re: Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored Apr 27, 2017, 07:05 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 14:45:
Darks wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 12:55:
El Pit wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 11:14:
Working title: Alien Frustration

Loved that game until the Alien got paranormal instincts and detected me wherever I hid. Then I quit and uninstalled. Don't tell me I am weak because I already know I can get frustrated with games after a long day at work if it gets too difficult. To each their own.

Yep, I'm not a fan of this run and hide type gaming. Give me a good old Pulse Rifle any day. Its not in my blood to play hide and seek. I need to blast the shit out of things.

Same here. A friend of mine loved it, but I just couldn't get into it. I guess survival/horror games just aren't my thing.

And there is nothing wrong with that I found Alien Isolation to be pretty damn scary though, can't remember last time a game made me dread the play button. But it has to be said that at least after 10 or so hours, the novelty wears off, and I'd rather have a "no alien" mode. Because teh station is amazingly detailed, but you can't afford to look at anything in mid to end game ~.~

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 27, 2017, 05:21 eRe4s3r

Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2017, 04:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 22:34:
But hey, apparently the USA doesn't want tourism
"They" do want, so what was the reason for his bad experience? The vacation itself? Entry formalities? Some TSA shithead having a bad day (well, they actually do have only bad days)?

A mix of TSA (apparently his wife got manhandled by the TSA, random sexual abuse services?), hotel personal being stupid (delayed check-in...) and a mugging (not of him, of his room) he didn't lose his papers, but quite a few things he had let in the room obviously. Hotel seemed to have handled this quite badly as well ... But at that point he was angry again and I didn't really fancy talking to old angry neighbor any longer.

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII In November
22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 26, 2017, 22:50 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Apr 26, 2017, 15:45:
Lol I tooootally called it. Just another rehash with 'wow da graphics' and ww2 literally only existing in Normandy and only Amerika won it. All other Nations, especially if they were an 'enemy' get no survive the war story. Hop on an AA gun a 'viscerally' and unrealistically shoot at Stukas G-1s, which are for some reason wasting anti tank shells on infantry. Bonus scenes for COD-Bros with a 'gritty' skull smashing scene inspiring them to sign up at their local recruiter.

Agreed, just another WW2 clone.. and to be honest, I really REALLY start to absolutely hate WW1 and WW2 games where only focus is only on allies. It's just.. seen that done before like 5 times, and not one single Normandy map in ANY GAME was ever fun to play. So yay!

10938 Comments. 547 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo