Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10630 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 3, 2017, 13:26 eRe4s3r

LiTh wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 13:11:
You guys know you can get paid to do this in real life right?

Watching youtube "let's plays" of real-life truck drivers driving in real life, a truck, I would say.. no thanks. (funny that there isn't s word for real-life work streams) Maybe we ought to call it a "Let's work" instead of Let's play

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico
5. Re: American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico Feb 3, 2017, 12:58 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 11:25:
If I drive far enough south will I see a wall?

Probably not, ETS2 would have to remove the entire UK if they wanted to keep trade situations realistic in 2017+ ;p

News Comments > More Overwatch Cheaters Banned
6. Re: More Overwatch Cheaters Banned Feb 3, 2017, 12:51 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 10:27:
Maybe it'll get the "PC Bang" proprietors to monitor their PCs more closely. I assume it costs them to keep having to buy new accounts.

They are actually heavily monitored if rumors are true, hence why it hits exactly the right people. PC Bang was profiting extra by providing cheats for extra cash from what the underground says. Otherwise that netcafe allowed downloads and installation of stuff that persisted through sessions which would be even scarier.

News Comments > Stellaris: Utopia Announced
5. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Announced Feb 3, 2017, 09:20 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 09:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 04:03:
Which makes the fact that the political/diplomacy overhaul isn't mentioned all the more weird. It seems this DLC goes for the low hanging fruit first ;/

No, because the Utopia DLC and the Banks update are separate from one another.

Ah

News Comments > Diluvion Released
4. Re: Diluvion Released Feb 3, 2017, 07:23 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 02:12:
Seems to get hammered pretty hard for the controls. Downloading now and will post some feedback.

Has some of the hands down *worst* submarine controls ever... but the real issue is the camera, and how combat works (aka, it flat out does not)

Ah, how long for a game like this with simulation depth like Silent Hunter at least, that would make exploration truly interesting, remove all the patroling and waiting and hoping to find enemies, add exploration and first person, nice flooding/pump simulations and you'd have a winner.. sigh

News Comments > Stellaris: Utopia Announced
3. Re: Stellaris: Utopia Announced Feb 3, 2017, 04:03 eRe4s3r

Which makes the fact that the political/diplomacy overhaul isn't mentioned all the more weird. It seems this DLC goes for the low hanging fruit first ;/  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: OpenOffice Feb 2, 2017, 13:58 eRe4s3r

Nullity wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 13:36:
So what happens if I install the game, then upgrade my video card a year later? Will the game stop working?

What if I format my PC and reinstall Windows when I upgrade the video card. Can I no longer install/play the game at all?

Hopefully upon first install/activation, it gets tied to your GFE account and the video card no longer matters, otherwise, this is going to cause a bunch of problem.

You get steam keys from these promotion keys, after you converted them, and I think nowadays that only even works if you linked your steam account.

News Comments > EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games
11. Re: EU Probing Steam and Others for Region Blocking Games Feb 2, 2017, 13:47 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 10:42:
This cross-market parallel trade complaint is a pile of shit. That's for physical goods.

If there are countries where your software has to be sold for VERY cheap, or it won't sell at all, then you sell it cheap there and reap only goodwill, no profit. But if that country's residents decide to turn it into a business, selling those game keys to people in countries where they CAN afford the normal price, then it makes the game worth so little that the game publisher would have been better off not making the game.

Unlike physical goods, there's no effort or difficulty in "moving" the product. That's usually what keeps systems like this in check.

I'm sure there will be plenty of you who say I'm against you being able to get a good deal. I'm not. But I AM concerned that you don't see the bigger picture, which is a collapse of AAA game houses. No one's gonna make a game like Uncharted 4 if it'd only sell for $5.

People on this forum loathe F2P games, and then complain about region blocking key usage. If region blocking is taken away, everything will become a f2p micro transaction shitball. Not immediately! But within 5 years of it.

I am more concerned that you don't seem to be even aware what the original goal of the EG (now known as EU) actually is. And if you still wonder why EU moves against PUBLISHERS and STEAM for geo-blocking, then let me inform you that GMG, Origin or B.Net do NOT geo-block for anything within the EU (Steam does, for EU1 and EU2 pricing regions which was already considered illegal when it was implemented and is what pissed the EU off majorly, Steam was for nearly 5 years in gross violation of the founding principle of EU trade law, steam brushed the many mentions of this in their own forums back then aside)

So this is for EU citizens and our rights as customers and citizens of the EU. It's got nothing to do with geoblocking for Russian/Chinese or whatever keys. And you can still ask for higher or lower prices, you just can't geo-block to differentiate keys WITHIN THE EU Which is how it should be.

6. OpenOffice Feb 2, 2017, 09:07 eRe4s3r

Meanwhile, no mention at all of Excel Import<->Export issues, which makes this software sadly completely unusable for work

5.3 still has them, so if you use Office and have to import tables all the time, don't bother ^^ I know it's a pain in the ass, reverse engineering, tons of trial and error, but seriously, CALC can STILL not import (old!) excel tables properly.

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
27. Re: On Sale Feb 2, 2017, 08:10 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 00:19:
long terms success of virtual reality

What are they babbling about? There's no long-term success at all.

1. VR hasn't reached broad market penetration.
2. VR is a niche product.
3. No killer app.
4. Expensive entry cost.
5. Unproven technology. Mostly "beta" and "early access."
6. Aimlessness (Is it for gamers? Does it have a medical application? Can teachers use it? etc.)
7. Costly R&D.
8. Horrible ROI.

In the past, I opined that VR needs to produce something within a year that becomes "so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology." If it doesn't happen, VR will fade and die just like any other new tech. There's only so much money Facebook, HTC, and others can dump into VR before it becomes a costly failure. The shareholders are going to demand something soon.

The Internet took well over a decade to gain ground, and nearly 20 years before it gained ANY traction, despite obvious uses...

What is really needed though is a 2nd gen of VR goggles that somehow offload the majority of computations or at least offer image quality and lenses (where are adaptable bio-lenses????) improvements.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Launches Consumer Products Division Feb 1, 2017, 09:46 eRe4s3r

Dev wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 09:15:
For a moment I read this as Consumer Support division, which would probably help them out more than this.

Gotta agree But I don't think I'd ever want consumer support from Activision....

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2017, 09:29 eRe4s3r

For a CPU that's supposed to come out in less than 50 days there sure isn't a lot of tangible info about it...  

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 1, 2017, 05:53 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 00:41:
LG 5K display must be kept at least 2 meters away from Wi-Fi routers.

LOL, so focused on the 5K part that they forgot about the EM shielding part.

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

The best part is that a lot more things are WIFI routers, not just the actual routers, but also the cards you have in your laptop or pc, or the tablet you hold in your hand, and even your smart-phone, all are wifi routers. Heck, if it isn't shielded, then even thunderstorms and solar flares will cause infinite random disruptions.

Quality product for sure /s it was however made by LG, and maybe that tells you where not to buy anything, ever. ^^

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jan 31, 2017, 04:50 eRe4s3r

Oh.. my That was truly and absolutely hilarious (again)  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 29, 2017, 22:46 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 21:10:
The MSI thing is why I exclusively buy workstation class boards. I don't give a shit about gimmicky crap, I just want a solid, stable, reliable board.

You think this is a MSI only thing?
SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 (from Asus)
^^

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 22:43 eRe4s3r

BobBob wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 17:53:
Thoughts on this weekend's travel bans and protests? Will it continue or get thrown out by the higher courts?

I find it far more hilarious people are surprised he is doing what he said he was gonna do. As if honesty in a presidential election is something rare and unfathomable (Well, for Clinton it would have been I guess)

As for legality, there will be exceptions to that ban, tons of them, but the general gist seems to be legally stable. It is surprising not to see Egypt and Saudi Arabia on that list though, you know, the actual terror states.

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
2. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 13:58 eRe4s3r

That in itself is not a bad thing, but what is really a bad thing is that it is now 4 years since the KS.... BG2 and Torment 1 took substantially less (OK, they had much bigger budgets too) Sounds to me like that during KS the entire project wasn't really fleshed out properly though...  

News Comments > Tales of Berseria Released
3. Re: Tales of Berseria Released Jan 28, 2017, 21:22 eRe4s3r

JeffD wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 20:18:
Damn really? was hoping to check out this tales series game for its story and battle system. I mean I have a ps4 now but... maybe when the game goes cheap it will be fixed.

Yeah, companion AI is borked, you need just google "vjoy Berseria" to understand why (And how to fix it yourself, and it is a REAL mind-fuck that this even works)

That is the only problem though (that I found) and yeah, vjoy fix is required, game gets much harder later on, and you need that AI (it is, in fact, your primary AOE damage dealer)

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 28, 2017, 01:32 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 12:36:
Irresponsible reporting at its finest. Although if folks would stop using anti virus I would have to hire some more employees.

I assume you don't know much about how AV software has been preventing proper sandboxing of plugins and tabs in Firefox for nearly 3 years, how AV software is completely breaking TLS by MIT attacks on the certificates or how AV software is overriding cert checking and thus breaking one of the only pillars of safe internet communication.

Sandboxing is the only level of security a browser and plugin within needs. But AV has been breaking this system by pulling contents out of the sandbox into an ! ROOT ! level to scan it, completely unprotected I might add. This 1 problem alone is the reason nobody sane uses a sandbox with an AV, because if your AV scans sandbox, browser cache and plugin data contents from outside the sandbox, you just defeated your sandbox, entirely. And worse, you promoted your security software to being the single point of failure and primary attack vector. Since AV software operates on ROOT level, if it's pwned, so is your entire network.

Average user might not understand this, but if you work in security or IT you *should* know this. Sandboxing is security, AV is snake oil.

A tool to remove MALWARE might still be relevant even today, but nothing beats good backup practices and some sanity.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced
19. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced Jan 27, 2017, 00:06 eRe4s3r

I'd rather take likeable companions over a big city, but given Chris Avellone is no longer working on this (who is one of *the* best coherent world and situation/character writers) I don't see myself hyped for this one.

And worse, in PoE 1 I just felt no connection to any of the characters, half of em really had zero reason to even travel with me beyond their own quest solutions. I hope this crowdfunding succeeds anyway, because maybe at some point someone is gonna make BG3 and it will be standing up to that comparison. But in PoE I just had so many "ugh" moments indeed. The entire court thing, the 2nd city... which was absolutely no fun to explore. And some of the later battles seemed.. just.. weird

Much worse, lack of any real modding (in terms of new companions) means that the best thing of Infinity Engine games is not here (and that is new companions to me) Which can tremendously increase the enjoyment of a replay.

But replaying PoE 1, even with the DLC.. just.. not gonna happen

10630 Comments. 532 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo