Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10256 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 12, 2016, 21:21 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 09:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 00:44:
Wow, so this explains why the recalls didn't fix it then.... all they did is put a black dot on the package and called it a day. Since how would they change anything when they don't change production?

So as the whole recall a scam?

Where'd you get that from? It wasn't in the article.

Samsung actually replaced the "faulty" batteries with ones from a different supplier. Problem is, the original supplier (a Samsung subsidiary) says the original batteries were to spec and fine, the issue was that the case was too tight and putting undue pressure on the batteries, causing the malfunction. While I haven't seen this verified, this would explain why changing the batteries makes no difference.

Eh, no. The case was wrongly designed. There is no way they did not notice this during QA heck, during design, heat expansion parameters of li-ion packs are very well known. There is even less a way they did not notice this after the first recall. The entire recall/replacement was a scam. A new battery with the same specs does not make the case bigger nor does it fit any better when it is hot.

Or, if what you say is true, they recalled and replaced without knowing what the actual issue was, and that is much worse in some ways ,)

But really, it's just bad design decisions causing infinite issues down the road. Had they made battery replaceable, they would have to give batteries a proper hard case and space within the case. Since you can't legally ship li-ion "bags"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
4. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 12, 2016, 21:08 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 20:46:
Owners of No Man's Sky frustrated by a lack of communication from Hello Games about the game
Game is not even on the top 100 most played list on Steam
More people plays Call of Duty: World at War and EVGA Precision XOC than No Man's Sky

EVGA Precision XOC has amazing gamaplay with incredibly depth and complexity though, not surprised

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2016, 19:41 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Oct 12, 2016, 13:25:
Yes and over half of those games are low grade rat shit.

Digital Homicide anyone along with every other low life scummy game that steam allows on steam.

Digital Homicide games are not on Steam anymore though

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 12, 2016, 00:44 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 23:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 20:29:
I wonder if there is a recycling plan for those million tons of resources wasted in making the Note 7

LOLL, its the least of their concerns. The battery is at fault it seems from what I gathered. The pouch is glued to the phone. Old replaceable batteries were much easier to not only recover, but also recycle. The pouch types are too fragile and burst into flames at the slightest manipulation error.

Quote: "The CEO of a large recycling company recently told me dismantlers deal with battery fires about once a week. Just last year, a facility in Pennsylvania burned for two days. It was the facilities third major fire in four years. This isn’t a problem with irresponsible recyclers. It is a problem with irresponsible manufacturers. Chasing slimmer phones and higher profits, manufacturers keep gluing tiny incendiary devices into their devices."

All of this could have easily been avoided and/or easily fixed had the battery been replaceable. All smartphone makers using non-replaceable batteries are playing with fire, litteraly.

Source: https://www.wired.com/2016/10/samsung-exploding-note-7/

Wow, so this explains why the recalls didn't fix it then.... all they did is put a black dot on the package and called it a day. Since how would they change anything when they don't change production?

So as the whole recall a scam?

I am kinda glad my phone, a totally outdated model but still, has replaceable battery, which I did and in passing increased battery life by 70% since technology improved But that battery was in a solid case, you couldn't mishandle it even if you tried.

This is really insane then by the phone makers...

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Released
6. Re: Gears of War 4 Released Oct 11, 2016, 22:49 eRe4s3r

Xero wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 21:01:
Man that game looks so mediocre, I can't believe it has spawned 3 sequels.

It literally is "cover shooter - the template" so yeah...

And visually not as impressive as I would have thought considering all this fanfare... but hey, since it's W10 only I don't even have to worry about it seducing me, since I won't ever buy anything from the windows store

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 11, 2016, 20:29 eRe4s3r

I wonder if there is a recycling plan for those million tons of resources wasted in making the Note 7  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2016, 03:45 eRe4s3r

ViRGE wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 02:01:
Tom wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 01:24:
bigspender wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 19:26:
There aren't many new games that aren't novelty for VR.

However there are plenty of excellent simulator games that have adpoted VR support such as the updated DCS World 2.0 which just looks amazing in VR.

Parked on the runway and leaning out of your cockpit and being able to accurately comprehend how high off the ground you are sitting is a surreal experience.

Especially if you fly a helicopter mission with night vision goggles, it feels so right wearing a VR helmet.
Cockpit sims are the perfect fit for VR yet lots of people pretend they don't even exist when talking about VR. Flight, space, racing, driving, mech, etc. There are plenty of them and there will be more.
The problem is that they're niche and won't reach a wide audience. VR developers want this to be the next Wii, not the next TrackIR.

The real problem is that most sub genres in the sim genre are dead. Mech sims, tank sims... where? Fantasy and Sci-fi offshoots? ZERO
Heck, dragon riding? Horse riding? All of that would work in VR, nobody does anything with that.

So it's not as if developers tried to anything even in this niche. There are many genres within the simulation genre where no modern game exists

News Comments > AI War II Announced
1. Re: AI War II Announced Oct 10, 2016, 20:08 eRe4s3r

Well here is hoping the best RTS ever made gets even more awesome Or should I say "gets funded" because KS is certainly not as alive as it once was.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2016, 18:07 eRe4s3r

Happy slaver day ,P  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 9, 2016, 16:54 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 04:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 00:30:
Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 19:08:
I quit drinking pop in my teens. I have maybe one a year. Sometimes in mixed drinks, but only when I'm out because most bartenders look at you sideways if you're ordering a rum punch in a sports bar. I've always held govts should tax the shit out of junk food and use those taxes to directly subsidize healthy foods.

I'd rather they subsidize eating healthy food (by reducing your taxes if you do) not the act of purchase in a store. One can dream Otherwise you'd have black-markets cropping up

1. If you don't jack the price, people will still buy and consume it. You could give the veggies and fruit away for free, but if the Oreos are $2 a box instead of $6, people will still buy them weekly as a regular habit instead of monthly as a treat. You have to make it painful to buy for the disincentive to work.

2. Black markets are a non-issue. Nabisco and Coca Cola aren't going to enter the smuggling business, and there's no way to home-produce these products. Also, we're just raising the price a bit, not banning them so they're readily available. Most people prefer to follow the law. Think about it: you pay 1.5 € per l for unleaded petrol in Germany because your government taxes the shit out of it. We pay 0.5 € in the US. Is there a black market for petrol? No, people just use less of it and use the public instead. That's what I'm proposing.

There isn't just a black market for petrol, there is an entire region in east Germany where local petrol stations are basically losing out, since they compete with Polish ones. Tell me what is stopping me from driving 20m to Poland, fuel up every container I can carry and bring that back with me? The answer is nothing, except my laziness. At €1.35 currently I'd not bother, but if it reached €2 I would do it ^^ I think for most people here the (mental) barrier is €1.60 , the open border and current relative low price makes fuel smuggling a moot point though, that is true. On the other hand, smuggling of cigarettes is on a all time high.

You know who profited the most from high petrol prices in Germany back a few years? Polish border petrol stations. Since then every major road from Germany to Poland has a petrol station and some stores right after the border. And who buys there? Germans!

Also a good example is power costs, a kw/h costs a lot in Germany as well, which kills (you guessed it) electrical cars. Since they are actually more expensive per 100km than petrol powered cars. You could raise petrol prices to counter this, but that would not make electrical cars any cheaper now would it? All you do is piss people off and raise transport costs for everyone. You'd not educate a single person that way. In fact in the "car" nation Germany it's likely you'd not see that government in power for very long

Un/Healthy foods is the same thing, only that you can smuggle Oreos much easier ;p

I feel really bad for even writing this, but the market will supply when there is a demand. And if Oreos cost 20$ in a store and you can buy them for 3$ from a smuggler.... ;p

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Funded; Stretch Goals Detailed
17. Re: Wasteland 3 Funded; Stretch Goals Detailed Oct 9, 2016, 16:27 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 15:22:
D:OS had stretch goals they totally fell short of, and imo they did the same thing the 2nd time around. Learn please. These are weak, but it shouldn't be over-selling.

Exactly Not that I am sour over D:OS 1, I played that, but I find especially in D:OS 2 they over-promised a hell of a lot of stuff. The TAG dialog system is imo the worst thing ever implemented in a game.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Funded; Stretch Goals Detailed
9. Re: Wasteland 3 Funded; Stretch Goals Detailed Oct 9, 2016, 04:18 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 03:43:
Is it just me or are these stretch goals kind of uninspired?

Would you rather have Star Citizen style stretch-goals that stretch the release back 5 years?

Decide

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 9, 2016, 03:08 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 02:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 21:13:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 20:54:
it will be a long time before I let a car self drive me. They need to make major improvements to the AI before I will ever trust that. like that fool who was watching a dvd when his car went under a truck, sorry no way would I take that chance.

An autopilot is NOT autonomous driving, at no point ever should you switch an AP on and go away doing something else. Why do you think pilots sit in the cockpit even today, or why do you think ships are driven by a crew, and not the AP ? Hell, ship AGI is maybe 7 or 8 years out, and the main problem is docking and undocking as the ports have to be mapped and they need to support such drone vessels. With cars we are maybe 12 years at most away from a full feature AP... but totally autonomous? As in drone taxis? Yeah no. Maybe in few big cities that are exceptionally well mapped, but not on the whole national street network.

The problem is that Tesla marketed this technology totally wrong. An AP is never ever supposed to replace a human at the wheel.

So when Uber gets their self-driving taxis, will there be a driver in the seat? That seems counter-productive if there is, as that person could just drive instead. Now I'm confused...

=-Rigs-=

At least with the current technology they are not anywhere near 100% automation and miles and leagues away from true autonomous situational response, google cars are probably the closest to a real AP function, but autonomous driving means that it can handle ALL situations, not just fixed predefined paths on a highway. So I would say Uber is just spouting PR bullshit. ^^ But who knows... maybe they got the solution that nobody else has.

It's worth noting that once you HAVE fixed paths, automation is 100% possible even today. Trains for example do just flat out not need a human pilot as long as the track is updated to support a drone train. And that right there is the problem, modernizing train tracks is expensive as hell, a human pilot is a lot less expensive For ships and maybe even planes that is a very different situation. I think the main reason you don't see drone planes right now is that even those AP's are not very advanced when it comes to handling system errors and the like. For this you need a true AI, or a very complex scripted AI, and I think even there humans are just flat out cheaper than all that tech you'd need on top.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2016, 03:18.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 9, 2016, 00:30 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 19:08:
I quit drinking pop in my teens. I have maybe one a year. Sometimes in mixed drinks, but only when I'm out because most bartenders look at you sideways if you're ordering a rum punch in a sports bar. I've always held govts should tax the shit out of junk food and use those taxes to directly subsidize healthy foods.

I'd rather they subsidize eating healthy food (by reducing your taxes if you do) not the act of purchase in a store. One can dream Otherwise you'd have black-markets cropping up

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 8, 2016, 21:13 eRe4s3r

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 8, 2016, 20:54:
it will be a long time before I let a car self drive me. They need to make major improvements to the AI before I will ever trust that. like that fool who was watching a dvd when his car went under a truck, sorry no way would I take that chance.

An autopilot is NOT autonomous driving, at no point ever should you switch an AP on and go away doing something else. Why do you think pilots sit in the cockpit even today, or why do you think ships are driven by a crew, and not the AP ? Hell, ship AGI is maybe 7 or 8 years out, and the main problem is docking and undocking as the ports have to be mapped and they need to support such drone vessels. With cars we are maybe 12 years at most away from a full feature AP... but totally autonomous? As in drone taxis? Yeah no. Maybe in few big cities that are exceptionally well mapped, but not on the whole national street network.

The problem is that Tesla marketed this technology totally wrong. An AP is never ever supposed to replace a human at the wheel.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Galaxy Note 7 replacement airplane fire might lead to second recall Oct 7, 2016, 18:18 eRe4s3r

MajorD wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 10:42:
While traveling over the past several weeks, via three different airlines, each requested to turn off, not use, do not charge your phone on the plane if you have a Galaxy Note 7. So I wonder if somebody did it anyway......

He turned it off after being asked to, and the thing caught fire AFTER that So that is in some ways even more scary

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
27. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 6, 2016, 23:18 eRe4s3r

mag wrote on Oct 6, 2016, 21:39:

I hear a lot less about that stuff these days, so presumably they're less shady now. But for a long time there, they had an extremely sketchy reputation. I still avoid working with them whenever possible.

And VISA and MASTER card data security (the lack of it) don't bother you at all? Paypal is the only digital way you can hide your bank and card details from a store.

*Unless the store accepts crypto-currency
**Or unless you fancy paying with real physical paper money

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Where’s Polygon’s Mafia 3 review? Oct 6, 2016, 20:45 eRe4s3r

Polygon was informed via a phone call from a 2K representative yesterday evening that 2K Games has decided not make the game available to press from any outlet prior to its release

And that right there is the reddest red flag a game can throw up.

This quite literally means they fully expect bad reviews.

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins
2. Re: Wasteland 3 Crowdfunding Begins Oct 5, 2016, 19:55 eRe4s3r

Was interested until I checked what payment provider they use, when the dialog opened up I felt right back at home.. in 1990, before the internet got started and we invented paypal and DIGITAL payment options (and same for KS nowadays)

Visa/Master Card number and date.. as only payment option

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2016, 01:38 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 4, 2016, 20:09:
Ghostbuster 2016. Not a bad movie. But could have been "fine" by fixing two things. 1) Different City, 2)Ackowledge the original Ghostbusters instead of ignoring them and then having the original cast play other characters in the movie.

They didn't just have the characters play differently, the entire movie had no rhyme or reason to it's setting. It was like watching a SNL skit instead of a real movie. But I admit it was better than the Trailer made me fear. But as movies goes, it was like.. a 4/10. Aka, better watch some random youtube video than this...

That's my 2ct

10256 Comments. 513 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo