Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12710 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: The Worst Roofing Job Ever Sep 22, 2018, 04:52 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 21, 2018, 11:53:
I don't know if it actually is the worst roofing job ever, but it was pretty bad. It looked to be a very complicated job and clearly the roofer wasn't up to the task.

It's the worst roof ever too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Telltale Games Lays Off Staff, May Close
15. Re: Telltale Games Lays Off Staff, May Close Sep 22, 2018, 04:28 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 22, 2018, 00:43:
250 Employees, at Telltale !??! No wonder they are going out of business. Their games were not that popular to support that kind of staff.

10 times more than they need, apparently.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 22, 2018, 04:24 eRe4s3r

The answer is no, duh. Unless you live on the bleeding edge then that is your thing, otherwise you'd be insane to waste money on a card that is gonna be outdated when AMD responds  

News Comments > Telltale Games Lays Off Staff, May Close
9. Re: Telltale Games Lays Off Staff, May Close Sep 21, 2018, 22:25 eRe4s3r

Uhm, I actually think this is extremely odd. 3 years ago they got more than $40m from "Series D" funding and their Walking dead games had fantastic sales (at least the data from before steam gimped steamspy indicated as much).

That means their other 3 projects, Minecraft, Batman and Guardians tanked or had they all insane licensing costs?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 21, 2018, 06:24 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 23:20:
I have to say, I've been thinking about this a lot today. I wish I had enough knowledge, drive, and money to work to create such a product. It would take a bit of time, but if done properly it could grow to be a big money maker. Here's to hoping someone else is thinking the same thing and we see a product worth purchasing in the near future...

Well it's one thing to have banking cards linked with Sm@rt-TAN but another to have universal key fobs. For one, most services don't give you cards with chips and most services would probably not even bother, since that is an expense. It'd be another thing if we all had an implanted encrypted ID chip that the device scans and in combination with a challenge and your password lets you in. Seems both China and Germany are on these paths

I mean I can use my passport to access DE-mail which is infinitely more security than a password. And that's my emergency 2FA for my gmail account stuff. But on services where all you have is a password with nothing physical from them it'd be a real challenge to sell an offline fob.

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Launches
4. Re: Star Control: Origins Launches Sep 20, 2018, 23:07 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 22:55:
fawker wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 20:49:
Looks pretty neat. Already bought all my games for the month. Fo76 preorder being the big one. Want a shot at that early start in beta.

I'm sure we're all curious to hear your feedback on it.

Indeed, although not sure if that was sarcasm ;p

News Comments > Warhammer: Chaosbane Trailer
1. Re: Warhammer: Chaosbane Trailer Sep 20, 2018, 22:34 eRe4s3r

Man, I was for 3 seconds hyped until I remembered that nothing good ever comes from Warhammer RPG announcements  

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 11:45 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 10:46:
I don't know if I'd call you paranoid, but you certainly seem more attuned to security than most. I do limited on-line banking -- basically I have an on-line savings account, but the only transactions are between it and my credit union account (basically so I can get 1.85% on my money instead of 0%). I've never heard of an email service with an authentication fob option. I imagine most people would consider it a hassle, but I'd consider it. A quick Google didn't find anything, can you name some?

Thinking about it, it is amusing the only authentication fob I have currently is for Blizzard. Which, I'm glad I have because of all the hacking around WoW accounts (which I played for about 8 years). Surely I have online accounts at least important as my Blizzard account. But I don't ever recall seeing an option anywhere else to use an authentication fob. Then again, having four or five or more fobs would get to be a pain. What's really needed is a service which can handle these authentications so you could use a single fob for multiple accounts. Now that is something I would definitely be interested in.

It's sadly a German only service and the only thing I can think of using it for, (DE Mail) card reader + chip in passport and my PW managed via lastpass usb key, + digital signature + encryption. Outside of Germany you'd probably be looking at protonmail. No card/chip response key system but a different platform and not easily hackable.

That said, since you mention it, the key generations for my bank are universal devices, so it would require zero efforts by other services to support them (the device cost once 10 accepts a card with chip and a visual challenge code that you scan from the screen that generates a response key based on the chip encryption and a "linking" key that you entered on first use, which is the 2nd part of the private key, 1st part is your personal PIN) ain't very hightech, but yeah.. if your service (or bank) of choice doesn't care you got not a lot of choice.

Gmail is especially not very secure with their mobile app auth, hence why you should forget that BS they spout about their secure apps (which are not) and go for a service that is somewhat more secured and on a different platform, that is sadly required to get true 2FA on gmail. (technically 3 factors because password for the 2nd email should obviously not be on the mobile or computer platform, only in a password manager on a stick with a master key or finger print scan. But that's an extra hassle you don't really need

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 09:05 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 08:29:
So, what do you use for 2FA? Email? This guy's email was hack also...

Second email not on the same platform and NEVER link your mobile phone to gmail (nor to anything else, really)

This entire hack revolved around him having 2FA smartphone link to gmail as 2FA, once phone is hacked, that is not 2FA, that is no FA.

PSA: Don't use mobile phones as 2FA, ever.

If he had set password auth in gmail to a secondary mail account on a protected service that uses keyfobs or private and public key access methods (key generation via offline generator) then a hacker would have to be a magician to access that "click here to allow the password change" link.

that said, if coinbase is that stupid to only allow mobile phone 2FA then you really got no choice. My bank uses offline key generation with a challenge response system AND my keycard AND my personal key and I'd consider that "so-so" security.... but then, I am paranoid.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 06:12 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 22:34:
The "sim swap" is the scammer programming a phone with the victim's phone number? And having the phone number was sufficient to get into the Coinbase account? And they managed to break into his email? I'm guessing there have been several security failures along the way here...

The first and biggest failure is linking anything to a mobile phone. Phones are insecure. All of them and ALWAYS.

More specifically, this hack works for any 2FA that involves SMS 2FA (which should never ever ever ever be used)

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay
13. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay Sep 20, 2018, 05:50 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 18:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 03:49:
I'd not even say that PC gaming is alive currently even with crowd-funding, the amount of fresh and unique games is at an all time low.

LOL, do you shop only at EA.com? There are more unique games than ever each year. Well perhaps it has tailed off the past 3 or so. Most hate the AAA studio's anymore, but then seem to only consider their products. LOL

FWIW with the couple hours I had into it last night, I enjoyed it. This is a middle grade quality game, never thought it would be anything more, but has some old school takes to is, which was the hook.

well I specifically talk about THIS year, which is one of the most barren years I can remember when it comes to fresh gaming experiences. And I found most indies I played this year (that released this year) incredibly MEH

And worse, the only games I look forward to currently are Anno 1800, Satisfactory and Pathfinder: Kingmaker + Total War - Warhammer 3

Not hyped for Anthem nor anything else announced. So I look at AAA games and find nothing engaging and that's pretty damn sad. With one exception, Cyberpunk 2077

And I will say it again, the only truly unique game experience I had last year was Nier: Automata

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 20, 2018, 05:40 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 03:21:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 22:54:
Need an unforeseen break-thru in capacitor technology....

Why is that? Cheap sodium industrial-scale batteries could allow wind and PV solar to approach baseline. Why the need for a capacitor breakthrough? Don't cheap batteries alleviate that?

If a capacitor with 22kw/h (far as I know that's in the 3 million farad range) could be build we literally would not need to be using batteries ever again. You could charge it instantly and discharge it slowly. You could even swap them to "refuel" them like you would use gasoline. Also you would instantly vaporize if you touched the thing, but hey, there is always something.

Or basically, if the charge in a car were held in a capacitor setup you could remove 700kg of weight and recharge would become swap-able, currently the extremely complex batteries are not even easily removable. And we are far from recharging them easily as well.

More importantly, if you could store 22kw/h at your home, charged over night or when you are not there, and then use that when you recharge your car you would recharge near instantly.

That's my laymen understanding anyway. As I understand, if there were a way to do superconducting in normal temp without any fancy crap we would be doing capacitors instead of batteries, at least in stuff like cars, trains etc.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Alone in the Dark & Act of War
3. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Alone in the Dark & Act of War Sep 20, 2018, 03:09 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 23:38:
Xero wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 22:30:
Can some company for the love of jeebuz acquire the rights for "Nocturne"? Was I the only one that lived when that game came out and blew me the f**k away? Who the hell else knows what I'm talking about. I never hear anyone mention of it. It was pure badass for it's time. I'd even love to buy it now with proper Win10 support.

I remember Nocturne well, the idea was great, the controls were... well it's unfair to say horrendous, because there was an autoaim option, but oh my god, talk about fighting the controls! Also I remember it being extremely buggy, at least the initial release. Still on CDs?

I don't remember playing any patched version later on, so maybe it got better.

Also, I remember it being the Crysis of its time, in that it ran at like 5-10fps on midrange computers of the day.

Two pistols John Woo style, fighting vampires and werewolves for Theodore Roosevelt, cool. Two pistols, attempted to be mapped to mouse controls in a slightly isometric 3d environment even with those weird laser sights? Made me rage. It's been awhile but I swear there was an option to map each arm to a different control set or something? Lol, basically I had issues with the controls.

It's one of those games that needs a patched up re-release on GoG, now that it can run at a real framerate for everybody.

It's cool that you love it though, Xero... reminds me of Soldiers of Anarchy for me, which about 3 people played world wide, and was crazy awesome.

You can still play this game nowadays in a VM by the way, and it still runs at 10 fps and controls horribly.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer
12. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 22:59 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 15:02:
Beautiful game. It just seems like the Ray tracing makes most of the textures far less detailed though.

True GI does not work with normal maps without an extra light source, pixel dome area lights do not cast shadows in this implementation, so normal maps are flattened by them since the only shadowing comes from GI + AO. That's what you see here, any "bump" you see is from a displacement map any bump you don't see is a normal map that has no point light in range. It's a huge issue if you render with textures from games, GI is used to give your scene a tone, but it is never used the way they use it here, because you want to have control over the various bump effects in your textures even as far as rim-lightning, 3 point and other effects.

Even better, you can't just stop using normal maps either, because anyone not using RTX is otherwise not gonna see much of anything. Displacement maps can be used on geometry but they are not "detail" textures.

The more I look into RTX the less I like it (as an artist) ;/

By the way, even a single light source (like the sun) can often not be enough to make your normal maps and bump textures look nice because any area not hit by that light ray is not gonna have ANY shader interaction aside from color and brightness (unless it's reflective).

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 19, 2018, 22:49 eRe4s3r

It would be REALLY nice if they could build a battery in industrial sale out of sodium but... something tells me that ain't gonna be a thing.

And for electrical cars the math is even worse
400km range -> 700kg battery with 6 years median life assuming 1 fast charge a day. Fast charge is 22KW by the way, something that nearly no outlet provides, most only provide 2.8kw or 3 phase - 8.4kw so 44 minute full charge becomes 3 hours, optimally.

This means the entire technology is just useless for most people, no matter the battery.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 19, 2018, 04:23 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 17:59:
I made it through China completely undisturbed. I've spent about 3 weeks there now, no issues.

The first time, though, I was with a large group. Our group had maybe 6 blond people. When we were in Beijing, particularly the Forbidden City, 4 of those 6 were stopped constantly for photo requests. Constantly. They had what we were told was a stereotypical westerner look, so people just kept asking for photos with them. The other 2 blond people were baffled as to why they were ignored.

We went to Lijiang from there and braced for more, as its much, much more rural. No one bothered us. Turns out, The Forbidden City is a tourist trap for rural rubes, so they weren't as used to westerners. Lijiang is a tourist trap for city folk, so they didn't flinch at westerners. The rest of the trip was completely undisturbed. We were almost exclusively in cities (and some factories.) My second time there was a week split between Hong Kong, Shanghai, and more factories. Never got looked at twice.

The scene from this article photo (ignore the article otherwise ,p)
https://www.tripsavvy.com/asian-words-for-foreigners-1458302
Was never a thing for you?

I've seen that exact behavior maybe 30 or 40 times in my 1 week in China. Well I guess it depends how European you look and where you walk around. I most certainly skipped the tourist traps, except for (and regretting that) the Forbidden City.

Maybe my perception was skewed because for SK and Japan I had an Asian travel companion so nobody was directly impolite towards me there, like for real. I honestly thing I didn't get a true tourist impression from both these places, and even when you get to rural areas in SK people are SUPER nice to you. Even in China many people were friendly and nice so don't get me wrong. I just noticed a clear difference in privacy and personal space are handled in China.

Things that bother you might differ, but just sit down in a Chinese park for 30 minutes and you'll have an entourage of bystanders. Which I found super weird. ^^

News Comments > Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer
10. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 04:16 eRe4s3r

at 4:01 you can see the raytracer implementation breaking, in the locker, pixelation artifacts indicating much too low sample rate (and thus pixels flipping from full illu to 0 illu) or basically a black cloud of pixels.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 19, 2018, 03:54 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 08:09:
I don't doubt that there are some amazingly skilled females who could easily hold their own in e-sports competition, but given the general maturity level of the current crop of the all male competitors, I shudder to think of the shitshow that would inevitably ensue. I follow the Overwatch league closely, and even without women there is no shortage of instances of them getting themselves into trouble.

If that bothers you then you need not look further than how teams are actually created, financed and organized. Sponsors want to be in the news and well behaved gamers don't get into the news....

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay
5. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay Sep 19, 2018, 03:49 eRe4s3r

Yifes wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:14:
WaltC wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 20:27:
Fargo should have held on to Interplay--it was what put him on the map, after all. But, sad to say, really, that Fargo was one of the ones who lost faith in the PC side of the gaming market, and actually went around for years preaching that "the PC is dead" as a gaming platform--playing up consoles, etc.

The PC was dead for Fargo. No publisher would give him money to make the PC games that he wanted to make. It must have sucked to be turned down over and over again by publishers and have to fire people to keep his company afloat. It wasn't until Steam and Kickstarter got big that he could finally find the funding.

I'd not even say that PC gaming is alive currently even with crowd-funding, the amount of fresh and unique games is at an all time low.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 18, 2018, 04:48 eRe4s3r

Why would they try to fit in? If you are gamer and you are better than me then I don't give zero fucks about your gender. I give you kudos and strife to beat you ;p  

12710 Comments. 636 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo