Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11875 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > ESA Rebukes President Trump
140. Re: ESA Rebukes President Trump Jan 12, 2018, 19:19 eRe4s3r

Jeraxle wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 19:02:
Read my reply. On Politifact's own website and an Op Ed by the donor himself.
From 2011

I looked at the site right now, and I see no left or right leaning anywhere, sounds like most of the reporting done on there is based on facts from other sources (A thing both wing supporters seem to be allergic to though)

And Trump isn't attacked on there, he is fact checked though, like everyone else. If that is a dem leaning website the democratic party in your mind must be a pretty weird nearly neutral hybrid

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 12, 2018, 10:56 eRe4s3r

Are exploding batteries a bug or a feature?

Also am I the only one instantly leaving sites that popup some bullshit "You wanna subscribe to our spam emails?" popup that you can't easily close? Because that site does that...

News Comments > New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors
29. Re: Re: New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors Jan 12, 2018, 10:49 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 09:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 19:40:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 13:05:
Edit: eRe4s3r check out the G900 as well, you can pick one up at half the price due to the G903 being out as the newer model.

Heh would be nice if... G900 costs like 120Ä to 140Ä and G903 138Ä , basically a wash. As usual German prices though ;/
Just keep checking. I've picked mine up 50% off just before the holidays. It goes on sale every now and then for $99CDN which is like $15US or something

More like 65Ä CDN $ isn't worth that much less... but that would be a good price. Meh, gonna check every few weeks I guess.

News Comments > PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up
15. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 10:42 eRe4s3r

NamecaF wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 22:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 20:54:
That they don't region lock means they allow 300+ pings to play together? How is that working? Magic rubber bands?

Yep. I take it you've never played the game.

yea, hence I am asking. Haven't played a game where anyone had 300ms ping since.. the 90ies. In BF1 average pings are in the 10s to 70s, if you spike above 100 often you get canned.

So this is a genuine question. Is it rubber banding or is it the Battlefield method (high tick-rate bubbles around players) and "prediction ghosting"

What are the tickrates? I assume if 300ms is allowed tickrates are horribly low, probably sub 10 (per second) ?

News Comments > ESA Rebukes President Trump
6. Re: ESA Rebukes President Trump Jan 12, 2018, 10:39 eRe4s3r

Not saying that is something Potus should say.. but ehm, Haiti is a failed state. Obviously it's not a pleasant place to be after the Earthquake 2010, from which Haiti still has not recovered and some nation researchers call it a defacto city state. (Port au Prince being the only part in Haiti where a "nation" even exists) and it's a downtrodden highly corrupt one at that.

So yeah, whatever Potus being dotus.

News Comments > PC FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE Next Month
5. Re: PC FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE Next Month Jan 12, 2018, 08:43 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 00:46:
Good to see that they're supporting 60 FPS. Wish they'd do that with their other FF ports.

As long as it doesn't break when you got a 120hz or 144hz screen, because.. not like that would be a first ;p

News Comments > PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up
1. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 20:54 eRe4s3r

That they don't region lock means they allow 300+ pings to play together? How is that working? Magic rubber bands?  

27. Re: Re: New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors Jan 11, 2018, 19:40 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 13:05:
Edit: eRe4s3r check out the G900 as well, you can pick one up at half the price due to the G903 being out as the newer model.

Heh would be nice if... G900 costs like 120Ä to 140Ä and G903 138Ä , basically a wash. As usual German prices though ;/

25. Re: Re: New SteelSeries Rival Mouse Features Dual-Optical Sensors Jan 11, 2018, 13:03 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 12:56:
Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 08:08:
Or just get one of the wireless mice that charge via a USB wire, so when the battery is low it just magically turns into a wired mouse. No lost time for charging, no useless devices, and at its worst it takes up no more room than a wired mouse.

My G700 does this as well. It'll stay wireless for about two days MAX and then I have to plug it in again, which isn't a dealbreaker or PITA or anything. It just turns it into a wired mouse again. In fact, I use the wired mode more than the wireless. I would imagine that wireless would come more in handy if you're on the couch or on the go. But at the desk, it's fine either way...at least for me. Wireless or not isn't what I look for when checking out mice.

Really, it just has to have major RGB abilities up the ass, yo! LOLWTFYOLO420LIT, AMIRITE?...ugh...

=-Rigs-=

Interesting, so a G700 is something I am planning on getting then. I saw the G903 (Well obviously, since I linked to that) but 300Ä for mouse and charger is just absolutely crazy...

I still have a G400 wired and kinda hate it, shitty cable, bad quality mouse wheel feedback... just not feeling it. It was the "argh I need a mouse" replacement when my 3rd and last MX518 failed, I had bought 3 way back when they came out....

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 11, 2018, 13:01 eRe4s3r

Redmask wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 21:39:
I'm still waiting for AMD to fix their IOMMU performance problems with Ryzen. And waiting. And waiting.

Will be fixed with whatever the next CPU generation is that won't fit on current mainboards (since it's partially related to the entire platform design)

20. Re: . Jan 11, 2018, 07:07 eRe4s3r

intermarer wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 02:47:
Jeez, do people still buy wired mice? Wireless used to suck, but with the quality these days I can't imagine ever going back

No what sucks is the recharging solutions, you could have the best mouse ever, if at the end of the day I have to recharge batteries myself in yet another useless device that clocks up my desk then that sucks.

And if you want wireless recharge you must have better eyes than me, because I couldn't find any available ones anywhere.. meh... If I could recharge mouse at night on the mouse pad or a dock, then I would instantly go for wireless.

I guess there is this but expensive +.+

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 10, 2018, 20:48 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 19:39:
Really the self driving wrecks probably should be news worthy when they cause the wreck. Not when the other truck runs a red light to hit it.

For it to be news it would have to be on a news site. And "The Verge" really ain't one. They sell a narrative to make clicks and are paid for clicks. And this headline made you click, did it not? ;/

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
17. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 10, 2018, 11:05 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 08:09:
Numinar wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 07:22:
theglaze wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 02:37:
The president is not the problem, heís merely an output of a broken/corrupt political system that is flawed in representing the people.

I donít know what the hell you Americans are going to do... but being hopefully that it ends with his presidency is naive. Youíll have to fight harder, be more vocal and politically engaged than the Obama era.

[Edit] Carlin would think Iím too optimistic: https://youtu.be/ILQepXUhJ98

The only thing the Americans have learned or will learn about this is that billionaire media personalities win elections.

Oprah 2020... Wall

Nearly burst out laughing when I read that in the news feeds... OPRAH? She has about as much gravitas as a screaming goat. Although she would be thousand times smarter than the orange hamster

News Comments > Overwatch Patched
2. Re: Overwatch Patched Jan 10, 2018, 06:25 eRe4s3r

theglaze wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 02:12:
Lots of similar colours at a glance... they need to run home/away colours like real sport teams so itís easily noticeable which hero is on which team.

A thin boarder of red/blue isnít enough from a spectator perspective.

The color should also not be red, since that is the color encoding on twitch and youtube butchers the most.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jan 10, 2018, 06:21 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 22:15:
Jumping Spiders and Tarantulas are the only spiders that don't give me the creeps. The fuzziness overcomes the spiderness for me.

Fuzziness never overcomes the amount of legs and eyes for me. Ask any spider rabbit ^^

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2018, 06:08 eRe4s3r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 16:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 11:02:
one is guided development by developers (AI where you get what you want and easily reproduce the steps)
the other is unguided development by scripts and processes (AI where you MAYBE get what you want but can't ever reproduce the steps)

Kind of. Artificial Intelligence is a broad field, and Machine Learning is a class of "algorithms" -- ML algorithms don't generally meet the formal definition of the term -- within the field of AI. ML isn't unguided per se, but it is non-deterministic, and the outcome very much depends upon the noisiness of your data, the astuteness with which you've selected signals, the topology of the resulting model, and depending on the algorithm good ol' random chance. You still control what the inputs are, and you still define the format of the outputs; what you don't control is the weighting of your model, which is what you're "training" to begin with, and the underlying patterns that the algorithm finds in the data. The key thing to know with Machine Learning is that there's no actual learning or intelligence per se, but instead ML algorithms are just applied statistics and linear algebra which find patterns in data and make predictions based on those patterns.

But do you as developer know why the algo weighted as it did? Can you infer from weighting how it would respond in a similar but slightly different situation/data environment?

Reminds me of a talk at the latest Chaos Computer Congress where a dude was talking about AI implications in self-driving cars when combined with a "citizen rating" system like in China...... basically... that's not a thing you want to ever have. Self driving cars will always aim to hit (in an accident where there is only that choice) the lower ranked people. They will always let you straight up die when the alternative is a group of Kindergarden toddlers crossing the street, etc.

So yeah... fun times to be living in. Except if you are Chinese.

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 10, 2018, 05:56 eRe4s3r

Said it before and say it again. AV does not protect you. It increases the amount of security problems you can have and you pay for it with performance to boot.

AV would especially not ever protect you against Spectre and Mirage, which I have yet to see even any exploits for btw.

3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 9, 2018, 11:30 eRe4s3r

Nimh wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 06:29:
Microsoft removed the ability to select which updates to install, this is 100% on them and their poor planning.

Indeed. But the article is overstating things, that sandboxie issue is only on W7.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2018, 11:26 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 11:04:
I'm just saying, this is nothing new. Companies have been building products to wear out or break sooner than they might purely to induce more future sales for decades. Apple is probably guilty of that, but are they the "worst" offenders? I doubt it.

Not long ago I was at my car dealership for routine maintenance and they informed me my brake pads were down to 25% -- and suggested they be replaced. My reaction was to do the math and realize assuming a consistent wear rate, I'd be back for the next maintenance before the pads were under 15%. So, I said no.

Well, just two months later the "Brake" warning/idiot light was lit on my dash. Why? Because of low brake fluid which apparently was due, at least in part, to the worn brake pad causing "more than normal" movement of the brakes to reach the brake pads. So basically, you can only use 75% of the brake pad without having the car giving you a warning light. Nice.

Well, ask yourself this. Where and when do you want your braking pad to break fully? While driving on a highway or while trying to brake for a kindergarden group that crosses the street?

You can think about things one way or another, but reality is that this value is a safety margin and a thinner braking pad can break easier and when it does it's likely someone dies, that someone can be you. In the end all this value of 25% gives you is a risk. A risk that your breaking pads MIGHT fail before the next inspection. Whether you act on it or not is your decision.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: What is the difference... Jan 9, 2018, 11:02 eRe4s3r

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 10:30:
Different tenure?

one is guided development by developers (AI where you get what you want and easily reproduce the steps)
the other is unguided development by scripts and processes (AI where you MAYBE get what you want but can't ever reproduce the steps)

TIL: Machine learning = When you want to have bugs that you can't ever fix.

11875 Comments. 594 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo