Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11071 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
6. Re: Independence Day Tech Bits Jul 4, 2017, 20:55 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 13:24:
It was great when it was whipping the llama's ass but with VLC these days no one needs anything beyond that.

Winamp is a music library management tool and player in one, including streaming, ripping, burning. VLC does nothing of that, aside from playing music. I guess if that's what you want VLC is good enough, but for me it's Winamp and MPC-HC combo that reigns supreme and always will ^^

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
1. Re: Independence Day Tech Bits Jul 4, 2017, 10:39 eRe4s3r

I still use Winamp for reasons... flimsy reason but reasons ^^

News Comments > Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled
18. Re: Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled Jul 4, 2017, 07:53 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:01:
Task wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 12:10:
Pizza Tycoon sounds like fun.

Any decently made Tycoon game can be fun, if some actual production quality and/or love for the topic is involved. Sadly most of the time that just is not the case.

Meh...Microprose did it right way back when...that and the Zepplin Tycoon they did around the same time...ah, memories...

=-Rigs-=

Microprose? Zeppelin Tycoon is from Ikarion Software
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGl2foIsJr0

Good ol times that

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 4, 2017, 07:51 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 06:39:
What a world we live in when games like GTAV, CS:GO, Dishonored 2, Dark Souls 3, FO4 and Shadow of Mordor aren't even considered decent...

It would be better if we could call more than 2 games on that list art. And in case of W3 that's only half-true imo, as a whole package (expansion and game) it's definitely exceptionally good, but art? Nier:A is the only game in that list where you walk away after completing the primary 3 endings with a new collection of thoughts and emotions you never thought about before. And that is the very definition of art.

Aside that the use of hyperbole is a valid tool to make a point ^^ I don't consider (except the battle royale games) any game on that list bad.

Ps.: GTA 5 is not on that list because I hated every single one of these characters. I hated the story, I hated the glorification of crime and the moral the game basically endorsed by half-assing everything that could have maybe brought a different point across or bring us to think about some things.

At the end of GTA 5 I wanted to drone strike each one of these MF's and whoever wrote them too, that's not an emotional feeling a game should incite in me when it comes to main characters....

The only other games that managed this feat are Watch Dogs 1 and Watch Dogs 2, games where terrorism is LITERALLY glorified. Maybe fun to some who can blend out reality of the world we live in, but I can't do that anymore ;/ In fact I found it exceptional how tone deaf especially Watch Dogs 2 was, where a terrorist basically rebelled against being (correctly) identified as a terrorist. Yeah, THAT is a main character I wanna play and identify as.. not.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 3, 2017, 22:23 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 22:21:
You should all be playing Factorio instead anyway!

Played way too much of that to be honest

News Comments > Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled
15. Re: Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled Jul 3, 2017, 22:01 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 12:10:
Pizza Tycoon sounds like fun.

Any decently made Tycoon game can be fun, if some actual production quality and/or love for the topic is involved. Sadly most of the time that just is not the case.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 3, 2017, 21:20 eRe4s3r

Nier ftw The only decent game on that list.. well, except maybe Witcher 3...  

News Comments > Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon
4. Re: Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon Jul 3, 2017, 00:15 eRe4s3r

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 23:29:
"Random tech trees"? Pass. That all but insures that ship designs will be useless from game to game. Also, that UI is fuuuuuuuuugly. It looks like it crawled out of an alpha 4X from 1993.

I admit that Stellaris has spoiled me. It's the only 4X game that hits everything right for my tastes. I really have no interest in looking at anything else unless it significantly tops Stellaris.

Gotta agree, but if we ever get something that tops Stellaris it's probably gonna be Stellaris 2.... doesn't seem like any other developer is even trying.

Imo only way random tech tree could ever work is if it meant random tech templates. Aka, hand crafted tech trees of which there are a few randomly chosen which allow ye to have species with proper flavor. It's one of these things that bugs me about Stellaris extremely, Hive mind, building capitals and factories... organic ship built from... minerals????

I think they said they wanna extend the race unique stuff at some point, so we'll see

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 21:46 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 10:42:
So you're saying Mars does not have a Chuck E. Cheese?
strange news indeed

Also, Alex Jones alert

This headline made me wonder whether we have April 1st to be honest, there exist people who believe anything Infowars and all those scam news sites post? Seriously?

News Comments > Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon
2. Re: Project Space Sector Renamed; Preorders Soon Jul 2, 2017, 18:27 eRe4s3r

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 11:21:
After so many failures in the category, it will be interesting if they can achieve their goal.

You know they won't. It's another cookie cutter moo clone with nothing unique to it. Probably a 1:1 duplicate of the gameplay loop as well.

Well, this genre is dead, and 1 more fail won't change that.

After Stellaris, it's also pretty clear that you need to change the 4x formula fundamentally, we now have Distant Worlds and Stellaris, 2 extremes of the genre, in-between we have Moo clones and mediocrity.

If a dev really wants to have a chance now, he/she has to go beyond either of these extremes trying to carve a new unique gameplay loop out of it. If they just replicate gameplay loops, specifically the MOO2 loop, they will fail, utterly. Because every failed 4x has this loop.

Ps.: And also, exploration events need a god damn top notch sci-fi writer. Stellaris farmed the low hanging fruits so completely that any attempt to recreate this without writing strength will feel like a "Been there, done that" ;/

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 2, 2017, 04:37 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 03:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 00:41:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 23:01:
Sounds like the new attack vector will be the "white listed" programs, just attack ones that are common for most people to have installed like Adobe Reader.

We are heading into the eventual day when it won't be optional to install programs unless they're from the MS Store.

Not in the EU. If MS pulled this you can count the days till their next billion penalty.

Just the cost of doing business for a $94B company.

That is true

7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 2, 2017, 02:44 eRe4s3r

TheVocalMinority wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 01:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 2, 2017, 00:41:
Sounds like the new attack vector will be the "white listed" programs, just attack ones that are common for most people to have installed like Adobe Reader.

We are heading into the eventual day when it won't be optional to install programs unless they're from the MS Store.

Not in the EU. If MS pulled this you can count the days till their next billion penalty.

So iPhones aren't sold in Europe?

iPhones aren't even close to a relevant monopoly in the EU And it's not about "being sold" it's about anti-monopoly laws applying or not. And MS has already violated them once and paid a pretty hefty fine. MS would be pretty daft to even attempt to pull such a stunt. If market share would fall (Linux 50%? hah) then that would not be an issue though.

5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 2, 2017, 00:41 eRe4s3r

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Jun 30, 2017, 21:25 eRe4s3r

Yes, a Portal 2 security update.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt?
8. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt? Jun 30, 2017, 21:24 eRe4s3r

robdot wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 21:15:
This game is tedious and boring. Filled with tasks that only serve to slow down gameplay. You have to scan items to collect data to do research to craft items ,that you don't need. And once you encounter the stupidass glyph searchs, you will surely wonder who the fuck put this in the game. This super AI computer can't figure out this glyph puzzle??... The plot,is the same as the old fucking plot.ITS EXACTLY THE SAME. And why,oh why,do we have to use their tech, to terraform? We didn't bring our own?

The entire plot was slapped on at the last minute, after they threw away 70% of what was already done 2 years before release. There is a reason this dev cycle was called "troubled" ;/

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 30, 2017, 21:22 eRe4s3r

Gigabit powerline .. lmao

Very witty calling it "gigabit passthrough" and thus avoiding false-claims lawsuits. Since you can pass through a gbit connection if you attach 2 wired lines to it, obviously. It's basically a switch and it reaches around 800mbit that way.

If you connect trough power line, you get 70mbit or less... slower than WLAN with extender...

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jun 30, 2017, 21:04 eRe4s3r

Think the real reason is that this is a demo functionality, and some devs (probably not endorsed by Steam) said to use this system as such... "Why make a demo, when users can play for basically free 2hrs"

What I worry is that this will (again) make developers make the first 2 hours completely awesome and the next 20 complete untested broken shit.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt?
6. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt? Jun 30, 2017, 21:01 eRe4s3r

Kinda sad that lack of leadership and a shitty competitive situation between 2 supposedly cooperative dev teams killed this...

What I am really saying is.. I would be happy with a Mass Effect 2.5, let us play as Quarian or Turian or whatever.. just extend the universe.. I'd buy that as long as the writing quality level of at least ME2 would be maintained...

But it seems Bioware really fucked it up this time ;(

Instead of ME5, we get Dragon Age 4... yay

News Comments > Magic Duels Support Ending
11. Re: Magic Duels Support Ending Jun 30, 2017, 17:50 eRe4s3r

Numinar wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 07:54:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 18:29:
Numinar wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 23:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 00:07:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 23:22:
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 27, 2017, 21:41:
Calling them clowns is being kind.

Indeed, just shows how it's better to be lucky than good. I still don't understand why they even bought it. It was like, they got lucky with MTG, made oodles of money and than just bought a bunch of shit just because they could. I don't think they ever had any actual plans for it. Likely none for MTG either, just coast on the fame and fortune of it. I really wish they'd just sell it already. Someone who really wanted to - and with deep enough pockets - could really make D&D shine again.

WOTC is owned by Hasbro, yes, the Play-Doh Hasbro, and yes, that includes all TSR licenses, and yes, that means HASBRO owns DnD campaigns by the boat-load, and they are not gonna let go of their only profitable games division. From their last revenue reports, WOTC is the only reason Hasbro is even writing positive numbers. So you can guess why MTG Duels was "abandoned" ^^

That is good news! They sound weighted down by owning too much stuff that isn't MTG. They might 'abandon' some other properties and let someone else with a bit of hunger get in on the old TSR properties.

Would love a modern take on Dragonlance of TFR.

Uh, they are already doing that, how do you think Beamdog operates? They have a TSR license from Hasbro. It's why they can remake all the old games. And once that is done, they will likely try to cash in further on the license. After all, those remastered editions are basically free money.

Oh yeah. I forgot about them. Slightly fancy, welcome compatibility re-releases of games I've already paid money for (lots of money in late 90's terms) is hardly taking advantage of the license though.

Sad (/trumpmode), as so much of modern gaming, good and bad, can trace it's routes back to old timey DnD.

Very true, but Hasbro will likely make the MMO a money sink and be extremely focused on that. If you expect real RPG's out of this you will be waiting for a long time sadly ;/

Still, at least Hasbro is USING the licenses it has. Not like Microsoft or Ubisoft.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 30, 2017, 07:13 eRe4s3r

Anyone that got hit by this imo deserved it, data is gone, better have backups ready  

11071 Comments. 554 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo