Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 12561 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 20, 2018, 06:12 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 22:34:
The "sim swap" is the scammer programming a phone with the victim's phone number? And having the phone number was sufficient to get into the Coinbase account? And they managed to break into his email? I'm guessing there have been several security failures along the way here...

The first and biggest failure is linking anything to a mobile phone. Phones are insecure. All of them and ALWAYS.

More specifically, this hack works for any 2FA that involves SMS 2FA (which should never ever ever ever be used)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay
13. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay Sep 20, 2018, 05:50 eRe4s3r

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 18:00:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 03:49:
I'd not even say that PC gaming is alive currently even with crowd-funding, the amount of fresh and unique games is at an all time low.

LOL, do you shop only at EA.com? There are more unique games than ever each year. Well perhaps it has tailed off the past 3 or so. Most hate the AAA studio's anymore, but then seem to only consider their products. LOL

FWIW with the couple hours I had into it last night, I enjoyed it. This is a middle grade quality game, never thought it would be anything more, but has some old school takes to is, which was the hook.

well I specifically talk about THIS year, which is one of the most barren years I can remember when it comes to fresh gaming experiences. And I found most indies I played this year (that released this year) incredibly MEH

And worse, the only games I look forward to currently are Anno 1800, Satisfactory and Pathfinder: Kingmaker + Total War - Warhammer 3

Not hyped for Anthem nor anything else announced. So I look at AAA games and find nothing engaging and that's pretty damn sad. With one exception, Cyberpunk 2077

And I will say it again, the only truly unique game experience I had last year was Nier: Automata

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 20, 2018, 05:40 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 03:21:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 22:54:
Need an unforeseen break-thru in capacitor technology....

Why is that? Cheap sodium industrial-scale batteries could allow wind and PV solar to approach baseline. Why the need for a capacitor breakthrough? Don't cheap batteries alleviate that?

If a capacitor with 22kw/h (far as I know that's in the 3 million farad range) could be build we literally would not need to be using batteries ever again. You could charge it instantly and discharge it slowly. You could even swap them to "refuel" them like you would use gasoline. Also you would instantly vaporize if you touched the thing, but hey, there is always something.

Or basically, if the charge in a car were held in a capacitor setup you could remove 700kg of weight and recharge would become swap-able, currently the extremely complex batteries are not even easily removable. And we are far from recharging them easily as well.

More importantly, if you could store 22kw/h at your home, charged over night or when you are not there, and then use that when you recharge your car you would recharge near instantly.

That's my laymen understanding anyway. As I understand, if there were a way to do superconducting in normal temp without any fancy crap we would be doing capacitors instead of batteries, at least in stuff like cars, trains etc.

News Comments > THQ Nordic Acquires Alone in the Dark & Act of War
3. Re: THQ Nordic Acquires Alone in the Dark & Act of War Sep 20, 2018, 03:09 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 23:38:
Xero wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 22:30:
Can some company for the love of jeebuz acquire the rights for "Nocturne"? Was I the only one that lived when that game came out and blew me the f**k away? Who the hell else knows what I'm talking about. I never hear anyone mention of it. It was pure badass for it's time. I'd even love to buy it now with proper Win10 support.

I remember Nocturne well, the idea was great, the controls were... well it's unfair to say horrendous, because there was an autoaim option, but oh my god, talk about fighting the controls! Also I remember it being extremely buggy, at least the initial release. Still on CDs?

I don't remember playing any patched version later on, so maybe it got better.

Also, I remember it being the Crysis of its time, in that it ran at like 5-10fps on midrange computers of the day.

Two pistols John Woo style, fighting vampires and werewolves for Theodore Roosevelt, cool. Two pistols, attempted to be mapped to mouse controls in a slightly isometric 3d environment even with those weird laser sights? Made me rage. It's been awhile but I swear there was an option to map each arm to a different control set or something? Lol, basically I had issues with the controls.

It's one of those games that needs a patched up re-release on GoG, now that it can run at a real framerate for everybody.

It's cool that you love it though, Xero... reminds me of Soldiers of Anarchy for me, which about 3 people played world wide, and was crazy awesome.

You can still play this game nowadays in a VM by the way, and it still runs at 10 fps and controls horribly.

News Comments > Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer
12. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 22:59 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 15:02:
Beautiful game. It just seems like the Ray tracing makes most of the textures far less detailed though.

True GI does not work with normal maps without an extra light source, pixel dome area lights do not cast shadows in this implementation, so normal maps are flattened by them since the only shadowing comes from GI + AO. That's what you see here, any "bump" you see is from a displacement map any bump you don't see is a normal map that has no point light in range. It's a huge issue if you render with textures from games, GI is used to give your scene a tone, but it is never used the way they use it here, because you want to have control over the various bump effects in your textures even as far as rim-lightning, 3 point and other effects.

Even better, you can't just stop using normal maps either, because anyone not using RTX is otherwise not gonna see much of anything. Displacement maps can be used on geometry but they are not "detail" textures.

The more I look into RTX the less I like it (as an artist) ;/

By the way, even a single light source (like the sun) can often not be enough to make your normal maps and bump textures look nice because any area not hit by that light ray is not gonna have ANY shader interaction aside from color and brightness (unless it's reflective).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 19, 2018, 22:49 eRe4s3r

It would be REALLY nice if they could build a battery in industrial sale out of sodium but... something tells me that ain't gonna be a thing.

And for electrical cars the math is even worse
400km range -> 700kg battery with 6 years median life assuming 1 fast charge a day. Fast charge is 22KW by the way, something that nearly no outlet provides, most only provide 2.8kw or 3 phase - 8.4kw so 44 minute full charge becomes 3 hours, optimally.

This means the entire technology is just useless for most people, no matter the battery.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 19, 2018, 04:23 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 17:59:
I made it through China completely undisturbed. I've spent about 3 weeks there now, no issues.

The first time, though, I was with a large group. Our group had maybe 6 blond people. When we were in Beijing, particularly the Forbidden City, 4 of those 6 were stopped constantly for photo requests. Constantly. They had what we were told was a stereotypical westerner look, so people just kept asking for photos with them. The other 2 blond people were baffled as to why they were ignored.

We went to Lijiang from there and braced for more, as its much, much more rural. No one bothered us. Turns out, The Forbidden City is a tourist trap for rural rubes, so they weren't as used to westerners. Lijiang is a tourist trap for city folk, so they didn't flinch at westerners. The rest of the trip was completely undisturbed. We were almost exclusively in cities (and some factories.) My second time there was a week split between Hong Kong, Shanghai, and more factories. Never got looked at twice.

The scene from this article photo (ignore the article otherwise ,p)
https://www.tripsavvy.com/asian-words-for-foreigners-1458302
Was never a thing for you?

I've seen that exact behavior maybe 30 or 40 times in my 1 week in China. Well I guess it depends how European you look and where you walk around. I most certainly skipped the tourist traps, except for (and regretting that) the Forbidden City.

Maybe my perception was skewed because for SK and Japan I had an Asian travel companion so nobody was directly impolite towards me there, like for real. I honestly thing I didn't get a true tourist impression from both these places, and even when you get to rural areas in SK people are SUPER nice to you. Even in China many people were friendly and nice so don't get me wrong. I just noticed a clear difference in privacy and personal space are handled in China.

Things that bother you might differ, but just sit down in a Chinese park for 30 minutes and you'll have an entourage of bystanders. Which I found super weird. ^^

News Comments > Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer
10. Re: Metro Exodus Ray Tracing Trailer Sep 19, 2018, 04:16 eRe4s3r

at 4:01 you can see the raytracer implementation breaking, in the locker, pixelation artifacts indicating much too low sample rate (and thus pixels flipping from full illu to 0 illu) or basically a black cloud of pixels.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 19, 2018, 03:54 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 08:09:
I don't doubt that there are some amazingly skilled females who could easily hold their own in e-sports competition, but given the general maturity level of the current crop of the all male competitors, I shudder to think of the shitshow that would inevitably ensue. I follow the Overwatch league closely, and even without women there is no shortage of instances of them getting themselves into trouble.

If that bothers you then you need not look further than how teams are actually created, financed and organized. Sponsors want to be in the news and well behaved gamers don't get into the news....

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay
5. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Released; Brian Fargo Eyes Buying Interplay Sep 19, 2018, 03:49 eRe4s3r

Yifes wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:14:
WaltC wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 20:27:
Fargo should have held on to Interplay--it was what put him on the map, after all. But, sad to say, really, that Fargo was one of the ones who lost faith in the PC side of the gaming market, and actually went around for years preaching that "the PC is dead" as a gaming platform--playing up consoles, etc.

The PC was dead for Fargo. No publisher would give him money to make the PC games that he wanted to make. It must have sucked to be turned down over and over again by publishers and have to fire people to keep his company afloat. It wasn't until Steam and Kickstarter got big that he could finally find the funding.

I'd not even say that PC gaming is alive currently even with crowd-funding, the amount of fresh and unique games is at an all time low.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 18, 2018, 04:48 eRe4s3r

Why would they try to fit in? If you are gamer and you are better than me then I don't give zero fucks about your gender. I give you kudos and strife to beat you ;p  

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2018, 20:22 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 17, 2018, 13:19:

I am not sure about China, but in Japan, the cramped living spaces mean people have evolved behaviors to ensure privacy. People don't look at each other on the street or on trains, for example. In cubbyhole apartments, people are never loud.

Fun fact: Japan has about the same land area as California, but with three times as many people. But only 3% of the land is habitable. Now that's some cramped living space right there.

I've been both to mainland China and Japan (and south Korea, Taiwan), it was a 4 week trip) 1 week each. And let me tell you, Japan and South Korea are completely alien countries compared to China and Taiwan. In Japan, Taiwan and SK you as foreigner (especially a German ,p) have no problems, either (the younger ones) come bee-lining to you to test their english/german whatever skills while being super polite and curious since you look like an alien to them or you are constantly looked at suspiciously and never talked to, none of which invades your privacy. Of course nobody in Japan or SK would ever approach you can call you "Foreigner" loudly or point fingers at you, unless drunk.

Not so much in China, children shouting this (in Chinese) everywhere when they see you, people going close to you looking what you are photographing and random people taking photographs of you. There is absolutely no concept of privacy or personal space in China, it's really REALLY striking if you come from a western country (especially from Japan which is about as Western as you can get when it comes to privacy). Then in China there is a definitive split of generations, the "lost generation" aka, everyone alive during Mao, is completely and utterly FUCKED. No jobs, no good behavior (spitting EVERYWHERE is a huge issue in China by OLD people) and socially they are nearly shunned by the younger generation.

The lost generation will happily "stalk" you for 10km+ through tourist venues just to see what you are doing. And if you think this is creepy pasta you haven't experienced the joy of drones. Drones with cameras are a thing, mostly in the region around Taiwan because obviously Chinese drones suck (interesting tidbit, export products are infinitely higher quality than those sold locally in China, even from the same factory!) there is a huge smuggling thing going on between Taiwan and China, you can even see this when you use the train connection because of all the people with huge bags, all containing Ferrero golden and milk powder . Looks pretty weird to us westerners but apparently Chinese don't trust food in the country AT ALL.

Either way, my point being that China has no concept of privacy. Something that is nearly utterly incomprehensible to us westerners. It was a real culture shock for me, although I had been warned more than once to expect it, but expecting it and experiencing it are 2 different things. That said, of all the countries I visited South Korea was the most iffy, yeah the capital is shiny bright but I went exploring on day 2 and 3 to the countryside and you'd be forgiven for thinking you had accidentally entered North Korea because wow, that is a huge shift in development level as soon as you leave the big cities. Same (and much more insane shift) in China. While Japan and Taiwan are max developed nations. That's how it felt anyway. In China there is 1 thing that you have nowhere else though, you feel free there because nobody really cares what you do. Yeah they are curious, take photos and approach you (but not talk) but they don't really go in to interrupt you.

Anyhow, that's my tourist impressions.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Sep 17, 2018, 20:06 eRe4s3r

Funfact - The game is blocked in 28 countries exactly because the age check is some major BS on steam. 0 verifiable age check = 0 permission to sell adult games in Europe.  

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 17, 2018, 00:35 eRe4s3r

What those googlers have to realize is that the average Chinese cares not a single fuck about privacy, the word doesn't even exist in Chinese. And if you ever been to China you'd know this, and more so, you would realize how laughable sensitive we westerners are to privacy vs how little ANYONE cares there about this.  

News Comments > ReCore: Definitive Edition & More on Steam
3. Re: ReCore: Definitive Edition & More on Steam Sep 16, 2018, 10:31 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Sep 14, 2018, 21:29:
So, the big question is. Can you re-bind the keys? When this first came out on Win 10's store you could, then this new definitive version was released and they locked the keys down.

No rebinding according to steam reviews.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 16, 2018, 10:08 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2018, 14:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 15, 2018, 13:13:
I'm not sure we could get the logistics to work, but if we could I'd be in favor of some sort of universal service. Although we probably couldn't things like infrastructure work done -- which if we could would be awesome.
Might also instill a sense of community, if you're able to mix folks of different socioeconomic backgrounds. We're a fairly divided country these days, and moving toward autocracy/oligarchy/corporatocracy. Something like this could counteract that tendency.

I am actually supporter of at least 1 year in service of your country, not militarily, but social stuff. Seems to be something even Germany contemplates reinstating...

News Comments > Just Cause 4 Announcement
6. Re: Just Cause 4 Announcement Sep 16, 2018, 02:57 eRe4s3r

Pre-orders? hahahahaa  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2018, 22:48 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 14, 2018, 02:56:
Geekfight! Fight

Best fight, maybe aside from mudfights.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 14, 2018, 22:37 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 14, 2018, 20:38:
Uh, maybe get a job?

With a child below 6 ? Something tells me you ain't got children.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2018, 17:42 eRe4s3r

Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 14, 2018, 09:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 13, 2018, 19:43:
In other news, Russia is full of fake news. That's what happens when your secret service controls all media.

Russia actually denied this rumor and said very clearly that we shouldnt jump to conclusions like that. Just like the Russian people on the ISS. But of course that isnt mentioned... Typical of western propaganda nowadays.

This "spreading like wildfire" is the actual fake news.
Nothing new nowadays. Some propagandist in the west sees some tabloid in Russia claim some BS and then does an article "OMG RUSSIANS CLAIMING THIS AND THAT AGAIN!". And you fall for it.
My god, divide and conquer is fucking ancient. Learn it finally!
Same with this satellite picture, which showed a Su 27 shooting down MH17. Nobody cared about that shit, everyone knew it was fake, even if some idiots claimed it was not. Yet the western media pumped it up as if it was an official picture from Putin himself, sitting in his holiday photoshop lab.

To quote EU anti disinformation campaign

Salisbury, Starving Children and Soviet Soldiers: Disinformation Pollution in Action

Ridicule and accuse, recycle and amplify. This was the strategy behind the pro-Kremlin disinformation campaign's immediate efforts when the UK released the images of the two suspects of the Salisbury nerve gas attack. Polluting the information space - and readers' thinking - by spreading clusters of contradicting and misleading messages aims at distracting the audiences from the facts. But this week it was also winning time and preparing the ground for Russia’s president Vladimir Putin’s statement that Russia has identified the suspects.

First, the pro-Kremlin disinformation campaign started ridiculing the evidence provided by the UK. It claimed that the security camera footage of the two suspects arriving at Gatwick Airport on March 2, 2018, shows them in the same place at the same time. It further accused the UK of fabricating the evidence and ridiculed it stating that the UK is practicing "God-level trolling" and that the Russian Military Intelligence agents must have "learned to walk in tandem while appearing separately in two different photos".

But in fact, after passengers clear passport control and customs at Gatwick, they are obliged to walk separately through a row of identical barriers. Furthermore, the suspects were clearly filmed in different corridors.

Then it was time for detailed claims aimed at creating further confusion, like that Novichok was too toxic to be carried in a perfume bottle (debunked by the scientist who developed the substance) and that Sergei and Yulia Skripal never could have touched the poisoned door handle (debunked here). Disinformation also repeated the unsubstantiated claim that Novichok could have been manufactured in the UK. See the debunk here.

Finally, the pro-Kremlin disinformation avoided any remarks on Russia’s responsibility and spread conspiracies that it was the UK who attempted to poison the Skripals: that it was an anti-Russian provocation and hysteria by the UK secret services to distract attention from Brexit, to set the EU against Russia and to weaken Russia’s economy.

If in April Russia’s disinformation stories on the Salisbury attack managed to contaminate the information space and two out of three articles on the Skripal case shared on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or Pinterest, came from Kremlin-funded media outlets, this time the immediate impact of disinformation was much more limited. Even in a brief phone poll on Russian Govorit Moskva Radio Station, over half the callers said they believe Russia was behind the nerve agent poisonings in Britain.

Who is keeping silent?

When a topic is too painful the pro-Kremlin disinformation campaign prefers to ignore it. In Russia, the local election day on September 9 was “one of the calmest in recent years”, we learned from the Russian police. At the same time, the state-controlled Russian TV channels were carefully silent about the country-wide protests and clashes between the protesters and the police with hundreds detained.

The Russian TV told its audience a different breaking news story: Two million kids starve in Britain! and it is the UK “propaganda” that “hushes up” this problem. In fact Russian TV must have learned about the so called holiday hunger from one of the many reports in the UK media.

We also saw a culmination of a disinformation story that started spreading in 2016: that Finns would have organised mass shootings of Soviet Soldiers in Sandarmokh, Karelia, during WWII. The claim is tailored to distract the attention from the thousands victims of Stalin's terror who in fact were executed and buried in Sandarmokh. The same technique has been in use before in relation to the Katyn massacre. Freshen your mind from disinformation pollution with this debunk.

These things do not come from "tabloids" they are in prime time news by media 100% controlled by the Kreml. There is no free press in Russia that as you say, could invent things. Russia does this per declared strategy.

Source: https://euvsdisinfo.eu/

They base their information on analysis of the "East Stratcom Task Force" which is an EU taskforce to combat and analyze Russian DisInfo strategy.

12561 Comments. 629 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo