Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10630 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NieR:Automata Released
29. Re: NieR:Automata Released Mar 21, 2017, 16:46 eRe4s3r

So yeah, finished Nier, 50 hours! All endings (ABCDE) (E being the true ending).. hehe

Loved it Actually to me, one of the best games (Soundtrack and Story alone) the last decade.. but yeah ^^

The final "reveal" is a true mind-fuck.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
18. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 21, 2017, 16:03 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 14:29:
Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:39:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:08:
Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:41:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:33:
Is the Irish slave story fake news? They came over as indentured servants and were essentially slaves during their indentured period. There was also a high death rate among them too.

So you can sugarcoat the fact all you like, but it certainly was no cake walk for them.

Or you could, y'know, click and read the sources.

killer argument follows
Generically speaking, any form of forced labor can be called slavery and this is not for historians to decide, but by the zeitgeist.

Whether the servitude was voluntary and time limit or involuntary and forever, makes no difference. One is worse, but both are slavery.
Or this; Unlike institutionalized chattel slavery, indentured servitude was neither hereditary nor lifelong; unlike black slaves, white indentured servants had legal rights; unlike black slaves, indentured servants weren't considered property.

and that makes indentured servitude not really a problem

Said no one. Ever.

I think he was being sarcastic, what I meant btw, was that the Snopes article is disagreeing with itself, on the same page

To me, this is a debate about terminology. And Snopes enters a very muddy ground there, what happened to the Irish was in fact voluntary slavery by the modern definition (voluntary if you are cynic, that is, because the choice was death by starvation or working shitty underpaid jobs with less rights than normal citizens). Same for the things that happened to white people (yes, really) in the Berber nations (which really was a mix of slavery and servitude, since you could actually gain rights and higher status (still below regular citizens with a few very famous exceptions), which is a thing black slaves could not ever).

It ain't the same as institutionalized slavery which happened in the US, but nobody sane can tell me indentured servitude was somehow LESS shit, in fact if it is institutional (aka, the government supports it) then all your rights mean nothing. Remember, yeah, you had rights, but you also had much fewer of them, and none of them protected you against no pay, violence, abuse or death.

Either way, servitude and slavery are both deplorable...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 21, 2017, 13:08 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:41:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 12:33:
Is the Irish slave story fake news? They came over as indentured servants and were essentially slaves during their indentured period. There was also a high death rate among them too.

So you can sugarcoat the fact all you like, but it certainly was no cake walk for them.

Or you could, y'know, click and read the sources.

killer argument follows
Generically speaking, any form of forced labor can be called slavery and this is not for historians to decide, but by the zeitgeist.

Whether the servitude was voluntary and time limit or involuntary and forever, makes no difference. One is worse, but both are slavery.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 21, 2017, 10:05 eRe4s3r

You evil south korean haxor

thanks to my slow ass download speed, I don't even have to bother with SK VPN, I can just use the US one

What was the unlock download in size? 40mb?

News Comments > NieR:Automata Released
25. Re: NieR:Automata Released Mar 18, 2017, 19:19 eRe4s3r

Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 23:12:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 23:03:
Apparently it's a buggy mess of a PC port. Was going to buy it, too.
Steam users are not pleased.

On my low-end 670 GTX / Phenom II potato it runs just fine (at 720p, but it would be hard to tell a difference considering the washed out colors, gonna look for SweetFX presets for this one for sure ,p), but caveats do apply -> It hard crashes when streaming to my TV ~.~ and 2) controller is basically required... although I admit I haven't tried with KB/M yet

If these 2 things are negative factors for you you may wanna skip it

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Mar 17, 2017, 15:57 eRe4s3r

tbh I am for more interested in Nier:Automata right now.. 1h left to DL on my slow ass connection.... then I am MIA for a few days hehe  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Demo
6. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Demo Mar 17, 2017, 04:31 eRe4s3r

cento wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 00:21:
I am going to feel dirty saying this, but Cutter is absolutely right. Civ is one of my all time favorite franchises, but I am still upset I spent any money on 6. There is so much wrong with it. I went back to playing 5.

For me the killer was these horrible stylized graphics and idiotic leader interactions, CIV was always about pseudo realism, that they changed that pissed me off and I actually still prefer 5 as well

In 6 they tried to make it "cutesy" removing any potentially offensive or complex gameplay element. When this series needed to be more realistic, they opted to make it more casual.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
35. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 17, 2017, 01:19 eRe4s3r

WaltC wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:29:
I think the actual translation here is that really, really old cpus (probably ten years old or older) won't be updated by Microsoft any further in Win10 and from now on. The older cpus lack the necessary hardware for security enforcement (NX bit, etc.) People are always misunderstanding technology in some way, it seems. It won't be too long before even 32-bit CPUs are no longer supported. Progress marches on, etc.

According to your signature I have to assume now that you didn't write this. Because what you wrote, and what is literally written above does not in any way correlate ;p (Or.. I think you are just confusing the wording in the statement)

This is not about updating CPU's, this is about an installed CPU locking you out of WINDOWS UPDATE (wholesale!) if you don't run W10

25. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 15:24 eRe4s3r

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 14:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 14:02:
WaltC wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:30:
Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 10:31:
Ok, seriously now, why hasn't anyone brought antitrust charges against MS at this point.

For what? The version those old cpus shipped with still run fine on the old cpus--it's just that they will no longer be updated.

And if you still want updates, use "WSUS Offline" ^^

you cant get updates that dont exist in the first place.. online or offline doesnt matter

Eh, this error message locks you out of windows update if you have a new cpu, the updates still do exist...

And W7 still gets updates

20. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 14:02 eRe4s3r

WaltC wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:30:
Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 10:31:
Ok, seriously now, why hasn't anyone brought antitrust charges against MS at this point.

For what? The version those old cpus shipped with still run fine on the old cpus--it's just that they will no longer be updated.

And if you still want updates, use "WSUS Offline" ^^

News Comments > NVIDIA FCAT VR Benchmark
5. Re: NVIDIA FCAT VR Benchmark Mar 16, 2017, 04:30 eRe4s3r

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 04:13:
At least I got a good laugh reading such complete nonsense. So obvious it is heavily skewed to the performance of their GPU's hence completely useless for testing purposes.

Yeah, because Windows ETW and Oculus Rift api and SteamVR api are heavily skewed towards NVIDIA.. lmao. Please at least download and run the tool before you write nonsense ;p This is a frame capture tool, like wireshark for the rendering pipeline. The end result is a complex log that a few python scripts run over to tell you where and how many frames were dropped, where major latency weirdness happened and where 2 frames in mgpu were not completing within the latency limit of VR, it is primarily a thing for devs and review sites to make in-depth comparisons between VR api's which up to this tool was entirely impossible.

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2017, 14:05 eRe4s3r

As someone who adored Dragons Dogma, which has a far worse start than the RPS review described of ME:A I don't think I will have any scathing opinion of it

And DA:I I loved, mainly because of things like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c9YdP8xQkg
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSA9TqjUn8
and yes, the bear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpZVPfj0HV0

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2017, 13:30 eRe4s3r

Xirgu wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 12:23:
avatar 2.. 3?? 4 !!! and.. 5 ??? really? I d love a 2, as I like the tech demo, but 3 and further parts of dances w. wolves in space ? I wish cameron would pick another movie for his life´s work..

But making 4 movies in one go at least means he'll live to see them I guess... he is pretty damn old already.

News Comments > Planet Coaster Free Update Next Month
1. Re: Planet Coaster Free Update Next Month Mar 13, 2017, 11:28 eRe4s3r

And if they now add weather and VIP's, water themes and water attractions, as well as safari attractions, I can finally replace my installed, and far superior RTC3 copy  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 13, 2017, 04:45 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2017, 04:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 23:43:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 23:00:
SH seems a common occurrence at gaming tournaments. Sad.

Wasn't there just recently this story about some dude and women changing email handles and the dude realizing how fucking horrible his customers were to his female co-worker? He wondered why she needed twice as long for things than he did, originally. He was absolutely stumped, when asked, the female co-worker said she had assumed this was normal (part of the job).

When she used the male email handle she had the MOST PRODUCTIVE WEEK OF HER CAREER.

To me that was one of the most mind-boggling things I ever read. I never EVER even knew this was such a problem and that it can translate deep into work environments when you interact with clients from a position of power (She worked in a part-time company and the dialog was often about resumé questions etc) so not the most pleasant company and talks there, but still...

I was listening to a movie review podcast that has two hosts: a man and a woman. There was some popular movie they reviewed that neither liked. The woman's inbox filled with invective-filled misogynistic hatemail and death threats. The male didn't receive a single email in that vein. Not one.

If women experience this in online situations they should probably use fake-handles, like everyone else The problem starts when you are on the phone (like in that story that is hot-topic on twitter right now) and people do not just get sexist or flirty, but have a total shift in behavior from nice and friendly to second guessing and doubting every word, including complaining about the phone call on twitter (remember, this was with fake handles so in 1 situation someone complained about a female employee who was really the male employee, and he acted like he always did in that email exchange....). If that is what women experience all the time at work then by the gods they need to make that more clear.

On the other hand I regularly work with federal employees (females, older) who don't have this problem. But I guess you are not an asshole to the person who has the power to close down your company and ruin your existence.

I can't even fathom what makes people react different to whether a female or male does thing X at a company... I don't care for it, so I assumed this was how people usually behave. And why would I become a total asshole just because the email person replying to me was a female? I wrote thousands of emails to companies (comes with my "freelancing") and I have always been polite, and often when you are polite, the support via email seems to be far happier helping you too....

Anyway, this was something I never even realized was such a big problem. I always considered that as rare instances, not as something that can permeate this deeply into RL interactions.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 13, 2017, 00:03 eRe4s3r

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 23:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 23:20:
But when games become too proud of their word count I often notice this in the actual game as well. The dialog in this was often "verbose" and that is not a compliment, I mean they used tons of filler sentences and structure that is more akin to reading the preaching in the old testament than an actual well written story. And it just goes to show, that to make Torment you need properly trained, skilled, world and character writers. And it is clear they did not have them.

Yeh and in fact this also applies to the Grieving Mother character in Pillars, whos dialog was written by Chris Avellone. Its fucking laughably pretentious and psuedo-philosophical in the extreme. It definitely apes the most asinine aspects of mystic philosophy - it doesnt misrepresent so much as just get it wrong and then go full tilt into that 'wrongness" - and yes it does come across as some kind of college freshman who is in love with his own "style" or whatever. It was so eye-rolling-ly bad, just fucking horrible.

People who are actually familiar with a wide range of challenging intellectual writing (especially ancient philosophy, mysticism etc.) know what it looks like - this aint it. Its not even a mockery, because its so far removed from having any comprehension of the most basic concepts involved. This kind of crap comes from the school of "dazzle them with bullshit". Its not pushing boundaries, exposing truths, exploring nuance, its just a wank-fest. Its like the literary equivalent of some kid trying to play Joe Satriani. Its not what you should pursue in the first place, but then it fails to even deliver a proper level of competent masturbation.

But people get dazzled by bullshit all the time - its the fucking defacto state of people - hence, Trump.

so Inxile wanted to Make Torment Great Again... and THEY WON!! they did it! Nobody knew RPGs could be so complicated. Any bad review is a Fake Review.

Which reminded me of an interesting thought. Is it possible these Indy RPG's always fall so short because they don't have any staff that keeps oversight and coordinates writing between staffers as a whole? When you brought up Avellone that lead me to remember the making-of where nobody had time to coordinate writing with anyone, they put him in a room and left him alone for 5 months and in such an environment you will definitely get Chris Avellone, but you won't get any writing that fits the game, in fact Pillars writing was more Chris Avellone than anyone else. And it begs mention that I disliked Pillars of Eternity "way" of writing as well even though it was infinitely more polished than Torment 2.

In the end, yeah, making RPG's is actually fucking hard it seems It would be hilarious if Nier: Automata could top Pillars and Torment 2 in my own opinion ranking... what I saw in the demo oozed more clever world-building than the 2 aforementioned games as a whole.

Oh... maybe our taste in this thing just grows more complex as we get older and experience these games.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 12, 2017, 23:43 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 23:00:
SH seems a common occurrence at gaming tournaments. Sad.

Wasn't there just recently this story about some dude and women changing email handles and the dude realizing how fucking horrible his customers were to his female co-worker? He wondered why she needed twice as long for things than he did, originally. He was absolutely stumped, when asked, the female co-worker said she had assumed this was normal (part of the job).

When she used the male email handle she had the MOST PRODUCTIVE WEEK OF HER CAREER.

To me that was one of the most mind-boggling things I ever read. I never EVER even knew this was such a problem and that it can translate deep into work environments when you interact with clients from a position of power (She worked in a part-time company and the dialog was often about resumé questions etc) so not the most pleasant company and talks there, but still...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
27. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 12, 2017, 23:39 eRe4s3r

Simon Says wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 18:18:
Heck, even Allyn over at PCPer now admits their testing, results and conclusions were flawed as there is enough "spillover" to affect performance and Windows 10 doesn't treat them correctly as NUMA cores:

https://ibb.co/b9uAYv

If it treated them as NUMA cores you'd have a 4 core cpu in most games.... that spill-over 147ns latency with CCX intercon is still faster than 4 cores less used in a properly multi-threading game.

TL;DR.. wait for Zen2

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572 Mar 12, 2017, 23:20 eRe4s3r

You missed this paragraph

&#8203;
The biggest let-down, however, is the writing. It is a potluck of disparate ingredients that fails to make a coherent whole, while at the same time going on and on endlessly about a single theme. It is wordy, loaded with unnecessary adjectives and reams of description, most of which is of things you can see on the screen right in front of you. It is not improved by thinly-disguised backer NPCs referencing Don Quixote or lecturing about alien sex, or constant wink-wink-nudge-nudge references to Planescape: Torment. Everybody has something to say, but you're given precious few reasons to listen. With a few exceptions, it is uninspiring, dull, lacking in tension or any of the mystery or wonder that was the driving force of its ostensible spiritual ancestor. The game gives away the plot in the introductory infodump, and one half-hearted plot twist aside, the eventual dénouement is utterly predictable, and its resolution approaches Mass Effect 3 levels of let-down. This is a combat game for players who hate combat; a skill game for people who hate to fail; a story game for people who measure story by word count.

Ie. summation why I seriously disliked Torment 2. To me, it was the worst RPG I played in a long time. And that is really saying something, as I played ALL of them.

But when games become too proud of their word count I often notice this in the actual game as well. The dialog in this was often "verbose" and that is not a compliment, I mean they used tons of filler sentences and structure that is more akin to reading the preaching in the old testament than an actual well written story. And it just goes to show, that to make Torment you need properly trained, skilled, world and character writers. And it is clear they did not have them.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
43. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 12, 2017, 12:16 eRe4s3r

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 09:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2017, 00:35:
Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2017, 12:46:
So GMG has a pretty good 20% off deal, but say the release date is Thursday the 23rd? It's coming out on the 21st, isn't it?

no, it's coming out on the 23rd according to Origin. I think you can somehow buy yourself earlier in on the console.. but I have no clue about that. Anyway, got it pre-ordered for 44€ as well, pretty good deal indeed.

Origin states this for me...
Windows pre-load date: March 17, 2017 10:00 AM PDT
Windows release date: March 20, 2017 9:00 PM PDT

Amazon shows this;
Release date: Tuesday, March 21, 2017

It's not uncommon for GMG to release it a couple days after actual street date, however this is the first time I've seen that happen on a AAA title.

It says this for me
Release date: (Origin)
March 23, 2017 12:00 AM CET

23. März 2017 (Amazon)

So EU releases 2 days later? wtf?

Checking news about it, apparently it does.. huh... that sucks, so I gotta skip Bluesnews for 2 days then ~.~

10630 Comments. 532 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo