Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 10405 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
57. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2017, 01:16 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 22:34:
I certainly understand the concern, and it is a valid concern. Well, as valid as it can be in this theoretical situation.

I give you Abraham Lincoln:

"The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Would he still say this post 2016 though, with Trump and Hillary and the whole political drama, if he lived now?

And of course it is a very theoretical thing to discuss, but that is how we enhance and expand our own opinions and perceptions of fantasy and science fiction themes. I also find this way the Aliens acted in Arrival quite funny, coming from the fact that I had just, like 2 hours before watching it, played and finished my Stellaris playthrough with heavy modding, where one of the choices for native species on planets on an observation outpost is to drop giant indestructible (unmanned) black monolithic devices on their heads and wait and see what happens when these devices generate certain fields and things (like food/unity/activity). Needless to say, the mod writers for this must have had the same skeptical nature as me, because 1 race simply migrated around the stones and never, EVER advanced being content and united, another developed a time-loop religion and 1 turn simply vanished, and when colonized gave me a -50 happiness modifier because apparently those settlers developed the technology to vaporize themselves and become living shadows bound to the walls of their settlements. (kudos to whoever wrote that..)

Anyway, just found the Arrival a very smartly made, but ultimately also debatable movie, especially the motivation of the aliens which wasn't really revealed aside from "we need your help in 3000 years from now", and could indeed be just a clever plot to enslave humanity under the guise of unity, or drag us into an interstellar war.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 18, 2017, 23:53 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 20:42:
I think their first mistake was creating a game that looks like a portmanteau of Dead Space and Mass Effect, notwithstanding the name they chose (Dead Effect).

Good thing they did not choose Mass Space I suppose.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 22:07 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:46:
Well, unless you are very pessimistic, you'd have to think there are a lot more people interested in a nice quiet peace instead of war. Hence, they could prevent someone from starting WW3... If you want to be optimistic, you might think anyone wanting to start a war wouldn't have the mindset required to understand the alien's language -- and hence it wouldn't be a problem.

I was left with the idea that it wasn't easy to do. "Ian" is unhappy with her decision -- ie.. presumably to have the child even knowing the outcome. This would seem to indicate he was unable to "stop" this decision, that he hadn't learned the language.

But the introducing of this language would not remove our urges and psychological limitations.
No, I think humanity would not be able to handle this "gift" without destroying itself in the process or creating some sort of "time lord" dictatorship on time perception and control. But then again, maybe I am a pessimist in this regard ;p

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 21:32 eRe4s3r

I played PoE now for 15 hours again.. found 3 uniques.. they were not in any way fitting my playstyle or class (as in STR/INT when I needed VIT/DEX)

Best equipment I wear is crafted from high iLvl normal items which already have the fitting stats for my class.. YAY.. that is to me, not fun. (Also it can end up again, with STR/INT when you need DEX/VIT) PoE has an absurd crafting grind to match up dmg above lvl 29+. I am a huge ARPG fan, but PoE just repeatedly, even though I gave it 5 chances now, leaves me cold. I can't get into the story, I find the loot system unrewarding and boring, and I could say the same for Grim Dark. Such hope for these games, but none of em offer the kind of ARPG I want. (Neither does D3, but it gets close enough sometimes)

52. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 13:20 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 08:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:50:
TL;DR, or some weird aliens from "Arrival" come and teach us a way to perceive time non-linear, but if you have seen that, I just want to mention that the reality of that time perception is fucking depressing as shown in the movie. If you watched it, you will understand why that is maybe even worse fate than a hive mind.
Uh.. were you paying attention? It allowed Amy Adams to change things in her "past". I have to assume you would consider it might be useful to go back and change something you've done with the advantage of seeing the results of your decision.

The only depressing thing about it was the death of her daughter which she could only avoid by not having her. And clearly she feels the joy of having her outweighs the sadness of her death.

The ramifications of this are however less happy when you think "8bn people doing this to their past, at the same time"

while it would be interesting to my life to change something in the past, I would be astoundingly scared what would happen if this power came into the hands of a terrorist. Or a insane person that starts WW3 (you would argue that others could predict this.. I am arguing at this point we'd basically have time world wars..). This is not a gift to humanity, it is a curse.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 21:50 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 14:16:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 12:03:
One good super flu could fix things for us... I mean if 50% of the population was wiped out there would be plenty of resources for everyone. Yes, I am kidding. Sort of...

That would help for a couple of decades at best. A super flu wiped out half the population of Europe 400 years ago, and yet here we are. Ditto for WW1 and the Spanish flu.

I don't think this will lead to a better situation either way, the only way to fix this is we get hard-invaded by some superior Alien race that SOMEHOW manages to connect us to a hivemind but still retain individual thought patterns, but not individually driven urges aside from the absolute necessities.

TL;DR, or some weird aliens from "Arrival" come and teach us a way to perceive time non-linear, but if you have seen that, I just want to mention that the reality of that time perception is fucking depressing as shown in the movie. If you watched it, you will understand why that is maybe even worse fate than a hive mind.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
7. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 17, 2017, 21:23 eRe4s3r

Instead of GFW, eh GFE (talk about a badly named thing ,p), you can check "advanced" on driver install, and.. you know, not install it along with every other driver element you don't want/need. For me this gave me back a good 12FPS (but I have a shitty old GPU/CPU) because shadowplay was anything but a shadow, more like a moon dragging everything down with it, and it crashed hard when I wanted to actually stream (via steamlink) to my TV in some games

Oh well Just don't install this when you don't want it...

One thing that is even shittier though, is that by not using shadowplay (ie by disabling it) I am locked out of certain nvidia encoders... (only found later out that steamlink has an option for this, and if you don't setup shadowplay a certain way.. you get funny problems)

News Comments > Don Bradman Cricket 17 Released
4. Re: Don Bradman Cricket 17 Released Jan 17, 2017, 13:29 eRe4s3r

Most realistic? So a match can take 3 (real) days? That said, it does look pretty damn realistic  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 23:43 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 12:33:
Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 12:27:
The expression is "hang the rich" or "eat the rich". And why not? They're the social Darwinist psychopaths selling the rope to hang themselves with. It's a very real thing now. Most major economic conferences and groups are discussing it all the time now. They know the natives are getting restless and things can't keep going on like they are. The problem with being a self-serving psychopath however is that, while they understand it and can see it, they can't help themselves. I think were really starting to ramp up for WWIII at this point as politics are only going to keep getting more extreme. And when that happens, sooner or later bullets start flying everywhere.
Won't happen in our lifetimes, if ever -- "hanging the rich", that is. WWIII... much harder to say. I'd have to agree with those who have said the next global war will be over fresh water...

As long as masses are complacent nothing will change, and that said I don't think WW3 is gonna happen.. neither China nor Russia, nor the USA with trump, nor Japan, nor Europe are stupid enough for that. NK might be, but if they used even 1 bomb that country would disappear in a glowing fireball of ash. And there were are again, I doubt even the NK leadership is "dumb" they are just very sadistic dictators. And dictating over a nuclear wasteland is just no fun. And fresh water... I think first and foremost a war is gonna be about resources the elite wants to preserve their power, not resources the poor need to survive

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 10:49 eRe4s3r

But not all men are created equal in globalized capitalism, to deny the reality of our existence, is insanity. We've long since added a new layer to this whole nonsense, gender, race, religion, wealth. It's long since stopped being just about skin color.

8 men (yes, all of them MEN) have more wealth than combined 3.6 billion, those 8 sure are very equal among themselves...

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering Digital Plans
17. Re: Magic: The Gathering Digital Plans Jan 15, 2017, 00:13 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 22:11:
|RaptoR| wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 21:17:
What this doesn't tell you is that this re-imaging included laying off 30+ folks, many in IT and infrastructure, while keeping the game designers (whose poor judgement resulted in MTGO) and decision makers in place. Including leadership, who when asked during an internal town hall meeting what WotC was going to do in response Hearthstone, responded: "they aren't competing with us and we don't feel that we need to do anything"

Wow.

Staggering levels of incompetence. Can't say I'm surprised, but jesus, it's disheartening to hear some of the inside story about how bad they are.

Disheartening yes, but surprising.. well yeah, not really I guess ,) After HS what was their answer? Oh right... more of the same... well... after Duelyst? After Scrolls? Oh yea, more of the same. (same looking, same playing, but constantly newly released) games even.

It's staggering how incompetent they really are.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 15, 2017, 00:00 eRe4s3r

Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 15:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 13:24:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 11:37:
You spell canceled like a brit!

Well color me British, so does the headline

colour, if you're British...

Meh, as a German I type it like my mood (or the moon phase) falls though haven't yet decided which of those is what really decides it for me. ^^

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 14, 2017, 23:56 eRe4s3r

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 21:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 21:33:
You need to educate yourself on the term "baby boomers" post WW2 generation is considered the "lost generation" because while they rebuild everything, their lives were lost in that absurd rebuilding of a society with nearly none of them gaining anything from it, the students of ~68 were the baby boomers (aka, the generation that followed the "lost generation") and they got the fruits of that rebuilding shoved in their collective butts and followed it up by hoarding hose fruits for themselves, and giving us, following generations, the stick and a false promise of economic growth and the BS of trickle down economics (whoever coined that and believed it, should be publicly executed grml

Ahem

Meh!

"insert your term for post WW2 society in your country"

I was contemplating not putting lost generation in "" to make clear I wasn't talking about the silly Wikipedia entry for that phrase. But I forgot that train of thought quickly

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2017, 00:14.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2017, 21:33 eRe4s3r

You need to educate yourself on the term "baby boomers" post WW2 generation is considered the "lost generation" because while they rebuild everything, their lives were lost in that absurd rebuilding of a society with nearly none of them gaining anything from it, the students of ~68 were the baby boomers (aka, the generation that followed the "lost generation") and they got the fruits of that rebuilding shoved in their collective butts and followed it up by hoarding hose fruits for themselves, and giving us, following generations, the stick and a false promise of economic growth and the BS of trickle down economics (whoever coined that and believed it, should be publicly executed grml  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2017, 13:28 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 12:13:
It's funny how they call our grandparents the "greatest generation" because they're not. They ended up raising the Boomers, which are, ostensibly, the worst generation. It absolutely boggles the mind how badly a bunch of people who started out hippies have fucked up the world so badly for the rest of us and continue to do so.

100 years from now that will surely be a very contested debate among historians... but it'll be too late for us to fix anything, and too late for anyone responsible to be at least morally held accountable...

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 14, 2017, 13:24 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 11:37:
You spell canceled like a brit!

Well color me British, so does the headline

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2017, 11:20 eRe4s3r

Let me just say that it's hard to grasp how huge 20% really is, but when you do the math, and assume that there is a limit below which someone can not save money and spends everything on "life", this is absolutely devastating to an economy.

It also means those 20% less income now, get MUCH lower pensions later. The effect is compound interest based. And if this isn't fixed soon the next generation will be truly and utterly fucked.

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Plans
44. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Plans Jan 14, 2017, 10:59 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 01:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 23:40:
Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 23:10:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 23:08:
You just know this can only mean problems for PC gaming in general, anytime MS tries to get into pc gaming market in any aspect such as this only trouble arises. I shiver.

*Cough* except for Direct X, which is basically responsible for PC gaming today.

And was not made by solely by MS.... much of the basic concepts of DX 1.0 were made by Kinesoft.... it was an odd cooperation, and that is also why DX doesn't suck.

In the past decade however, MS has not done a single thing in cooperation with another company, hence all of their crappy improvements to gaming (GFWL comes to mind or DX12 being Windows 10 exclusive, for which there is absolutely no reason)

I didn't know that about Kinesoft, cool trivia. And GFWL is a mess, there's no denying that. You don't have to look far to find failed or half-assed MS PC gaming projects. However DX doesn't fit into that category, it's the one real contribution MS has made to PC gaming that has generally improved the lives of developers, hardware makers, and users. Yes,"generally", it's not without it's faults, but I'd rather no go back to a time when I had to make sure my GPU was compatible with my game for it to even work.

They've also made Vista compulsory for DX10. Which sure, seemed like a dick move. Honestly I consider it a dick move only because they were still doing the "new OS every couple years" nonsense. For all it's faults, I like the ideal of Win10, because it puts an end to that garbage. One OS, and get everybody on it, developers and users will reap benefits. PS4 games don't play on a PS3, and no one realistically expects otherwise, it's totally different hardware... but for Windows everything's expected to play nice with decade-old hardware. That has to be a goddamn nightmare to code for. And we wonder why the PC often gets neglected in the gaming space.

Well you won't hear me disagree, DX is the most fundamental thing ever made and we should be glad the 3 people who worked at MS and Kinesoft together managed to spawn this. Without it, gaming would be nearly impossible

Just makes me sad that W10 is nothing like W7. I hugely dislike this flat menu look. It makes finding anything quickly a pain in the ass. Aside that on my test rig with Enterprise W10, I have all privacy related things off, aside from update obviously. It seems to work fine, but it's very talkative and one of the recent rollups pushed cortana back in the menu, even though it was disabled and quite literally uninstalled. I am baffled how that came to be. But it's another thing I have to bother fixing. Sigh...

Btw, I don't see it being neglected, the only games we don't get (always) are Sony/Nintendo games and the odd "sells new consoles" exclusive. Aside that, there are more games to play nowadays than there are hours in a week.

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 14, 2017, 10:34 eRe4s3r

Oh no, a mobile card game clone has been cancelled.. the world shall end, I command it! ^^  

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Plans
22. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Plans Jan 13, 2017, 23:40 eRe4s3r

Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 23:10:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 23:08:
You just know this can only mean problems for PC gaming in general, anytime MS tries to get into pc gaming market in any aspect such as this only trouble arises. I shiver.

*Cough* except for Direct X, which is basically responsible for PC gaming today.

And was not made by solely by MS.... much of the basic concepts of DX 1.0 were made by Kinesoft.... it was an odd cooperation, and that is also why DX doesn't suck.

In the past decade however, MS has not done a single thing in cooperation with another company, hence all of their crappy improvements to gaming (GFWL comes to mind or DX12 being Windows 10 exclusive, for which there is absolutely no reason)

10405 Comments. 521 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo