Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 9854 (Guru)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 26, 2016, 19:48 eRe4s3r

OC mode.. boosts by 13mhz ? Yay?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
113. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 19:27 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 19:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 19:03:
What uPlay game did you link there? Redirects me to the front page of the store

uPlay has retarded geo IP features so links might not work correctly. I'm not sure what happened but until recently you could buy at least most EA/Origin games from uPlay DE.
Right now they are not showing up in the DE store. Whether that is a bug or intentional or whether the games do still show up in the UK or US store, I don't know, but here is the official announcement of third party uPlay titles. uPlay is not exclusive to Ubi games.

Then I concede that you are right Although to be fair, I did check before posting and uPlay in Germany (from the client) shows currently (no idea if that was ever different) only Ubisoft games for sale. And in case of Origin I could not find any indy aside from Popcap/SpinTop Games that EA bought, and looking for other publishers from the client when browsing 2 or so pages of trending games i Only saw EA, turns out on page 5 is Witcher 3... So yeah, it is clearly not "none" .. had a major brain far actually because I saw Rainbow Six, and thought that was owned by EA.

Interesting actually. Seems both store fronts are opening up as well.... though Origin still has horrible regional pricing, and uplay.. well as I said, I can't see what you were seeing... and this is insofar funny as I am constantly having uPlay active and browse it... I was playing Anno after all

All that aside, I guess this is a recent change with Ubi, as.. Rainbow Six Siege isn't just sold on Origin, it's also...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/359550/
And same for Anno 2205

Well, always things to learn it seems.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2016, 19:33.

110. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 19:03 eRe4s3r

ItBurn wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 17:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 17:48:
how many on uPlay are not from Ubisoft?

Uplay actually has games from several other developers, example
Same with Origin: R6
I know Valve used to sell games on other platforms too. Dunno what happened.

What uPlay game did you link there? Redirects me to the front page of the store

96. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 17:48 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 17:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 13:25:
And imo it is extremely sad that to show what an open platform is, I actually have to point at STEAM nowadays.

What is really extremely sad is how extremely wrong you are Wink . What exactly is "open" about a Steamworks title that absolutely 100% requires Steam to run? Where is the choice? There are literally hundreds of Steamworks games on Steam.

Also, Valve's own catalog is 100% exclusive to Steam. You can buy EA, Ubi or Activision (just to name a few of the biggies) games on a large variety of platforms from GOG to uPlay to Steam. But Valve are keeping their games Steam exclusive. The only other bigger publisher who is doing this is Blizzard who are keeping their games Battle.net exclusive. Everyone else is way more open and giving people more of a choice where to obtain games.

So, saying that Steam or Valve are particularly "open" or about choice is simply blatantly factually incorrect.

Uh, the very same developer I linked to in the same response you funnily enough cut out, is on Steam and GoG entirely DRM free, you can run these games even without steam running even when you buy it via steam, and you can buy the steam key on his website if you want. This is the very definition of an open platform. Steam does not force a dev to use steamworks, and even if he uses it, nobody forces the dev to enforce steam is running while the game is.

And Valve games make up 37 of 6000 games... so that is pretty much irrelevant. How many games on Origin are not from EA, how many on uPlay are not from Ubisoft?

Hint: None

63. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:51 eRe4s3r

Well you won't hear me disagreeing there.. but nothing can hide forever on Steam. Stuff is found, reported and removed every week.... Steam doesn't do enough, that I can agree with, but I'd rather have greenlight than not, even with all the consequences.

Many great games, and many Kickstarter projects, are only a thing on Steam now because of Greenlight....

55. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:25 eRe4s3r

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:50:
Games like this
http://arcengames.com/tidalis/

Notice in GOG genre selection there is none for puzzle games :/

And as for Eroge games, remember GoG has this
https://www.gog.com/game/huniepop

Which is listed under... Simulation (like.. what?)

So I feel like there is some disparity there... If Huniepop made it on there which is a objective and time based match game then Tidalis should be there too imo.

I wonder if one were to dig and scour indy forums how many other great puzzle games were never accepted by GoG

And well.. as for how GoG behaves..
https://www.gog.com/game/double_dragon_trilogy
Read the reviews ,)

I don't have an axe to grind here, I know Tidalis because I worked with the devs before (not on Tidalis, mind you) and they make great niche games.
Huh. This confuses me somewhat. Why would the store that built its reputation on selling stuff DRM-free be pushing a client in this fashion? I knew they had one, of course, but I didn't know they were tying multiplayer to it. That's stupid.

As far as them not selling most puzzle games, it's their business if they want to leave money on the table. And you know, maybe they do; Valve is raking it in with all the asset flips and other shovelware turning Greenlight into a pig sty. Perhaps GoG believes that stricter curation will have a better payoff in the long run. I don't think they can be faulted for that.

If you want to my thoughts about Tidalis specifically, well... http://bottomlinegamereviews.tumblr.com/post/146645971860/bottom-line-tidalis

Yeah as I said Niche games (And it's totally OK if you didn't like Tidalis) and GoG just don't mix.. which is why I consider Steam absolutely vital. I mean there are tons of games I don't like on Steam.. but personally I want to see them on GoG and Steam because I like competition and choice, and GoG curating for reason X (certainly for genre: niche puzzlers | v-novel | kinetic novel etc.) is not how an *open* platform behaves. Steam is an open platform and GoG certainly stopped being that a long time ago. Which is why I am even more annoyed by UWP games than usual, nobody is served by another curated store. The curator might have shit taste, a bad day or whatever and robs you of seeing and finding the 1 game you love above all (however unlikely)

And remember, if you didn't have the contrast of bad games on Steam you wouldn't really have a way to build up a proper taste in games

Anyway, not faulting GoG, just saying that GoG is not an open platform anymore even though for the most part they still sell truly online DRM free games... but that boundary is blurring.

And imo it is extremely sad that to show what an open platform is, I actually have to point at STEAM nowadays. Steam even allows you to link any non-steam game into the client and stream it via Steamlink for example, allow you to use the steam controller features on any game even the ones not bought or even running via steam....

Oh well And btw, Tidalis is certainly a very strong case of either love or hate

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2016, 13:31.

42. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 12:50 eRe4s3r

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:22:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:19:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 11:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:48:
Except GOG is the real closed platform. Try talking with some indy devs who were flat out refused with no reason given... Steam doesn't pull such bullshit. You pass Greenlight = you get on Steam.

Yeah, and we all know how many bad games made it onto Steam because all Valve cares about is money and not game quality. I guess GOG is just avoiding this for now...

If it were about quality.. but GoG does not select by quality, they select by genre and personal mood of whoever it is that decides this. That is the literal meaning of a closed platform. Quality is no deciding factor to get on GoG
Some examples? I'm unaware of GoG disallowing any particular genres on their service. I mean, I'm guessing they probably don't have any eroge. But other than that...

Games like this
http://arcengames.com/tidalis/

Notice in GOG genre selection there is none for puzzle games :/

And as for Eroge games, remember GoG has this
https://www.gog.com/game/huniepop

Which is listed under... Simulation (like.. what?)

So I feel like there is some disparity there... If Huniepop made it on there which is a objective and time based match game then Tidalis should be there too imo.

I wonder if one were to dig and scour indy forums how many other great puzzle games were never accepted by GoG

And well.. as for how GoG behaves..
https://www.gog.com/game/double_dragon_trilogy
Read the reviews ,)

I don't have an axe to grind here, I know Tidalis because I worked with the devs before (not on Tidalis, mind you) and they make great niche games.

36. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 12:19 eRe4s3r

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 11:32:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:48:
Except GOG is the real closed platform. Try talking with some indy devs who were flat out refused with no reason given... Steam doesn't pull such bullshit. You pass Greenlight = you get on Steam.

Yeah, and we all know how many bad games made it onto Steam because all Valve cares about is money and not game quality. I guess GOG is just avoiding this for now...

If it were about quality.. but GoG does not select by quality, they select by genre and personal mood of whoever it is that decides this. That is the literal meaning of a closed platform. Quality is no deciding factor to get on GoG

16. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 10:48 eRe4s3r

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:25:
If it weren't for GOG and other small sites, Steam on PC would already be pretty much a closed platform...

That said, any dev going UWP exclusive must be brain dead, market share isn't even 50%, and with Vulkan there is even less reason to upgrade to Windows 10 since that works perfectly fine on Windows 7/8 etc.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2016, 15:52 eRe4s3r

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:54:
Just another "fun" aspect to the upcoming Rio Sewage Olympic games. I know the rowers are braver people than I, special antibiotic suits and all.

This was actually what my wordplay was targeting at.. Rio isn't much more than a glorified sewage drain and ripe with crime and corruption.

So.. Olympic games are a perfect fit really after allowing Russian mass dopers back in with zero punishment....

These Olympic games are just.. sigh worthy

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Nintendo shares Jul 25, 2016, 15:38 eRe4s3r

This is actually hilarious, profit fears? What profits? Nintendo didn't make the game! They licensed the IP

Lmao ;p

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2016, 09:41 eRe4s3r

So Rio is uninhabitable? Hehe ;p Someone tell that to the poor sods living there all the time!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 25, 2016, 08:03 eRe4s3r

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 02:47:
EDF is a cult classic, so goofy it`s awesome.

Glad to see Rimworld still flying high, not so glad to see tha tpeople are still buying Starbound, that empty husk of a videogame.

Let me just say...

EDF, EDF, EDF, EDF, EDF

(you only get this if you played them)

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2016, 15:48 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 15:27:
Did you grow up in the '80s? Even if you didn't you need to be watching Stranger Things on Netflix. Holee Sheeeeit is this show good. Great acting, mysterious plot, amazing world building (I knew those kids and lived in those houses!), fantastic tension, and some of the best creepy moments I've seen in a while with genuine danger. This is what Super 8 should have been.

Thanks for pointing the show out Watched the first ep.. already hooked

2. Re: Short attention span Jul 22, 2016, 11:43 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:39:
I love dog videos, Oh Look, a ball!!!

That's one happy dog

News Comments > Anno 2205 DLC
4. Re: Anno 2205 DLC Jul 21, 2016, 04:45 eRe4s3r

yuastnav wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 03:49:
I really enjoyed Anno 2070 but haven't played any of the other games.

From what I could gather the new Anno has some issues and is also streamlined in some aspects. What's the truth? Is it worth playing?

Well since patch 1.7 + Veteran difficulty + Tundra + Orbit the answer is mostly yes... it isn't easy mode anymore, it's actually a pretty good challenge which is only offset by the Orbit research which requires a ton of input to really push it...

And dunno about worth, but it is definitely gotten addictive and fun, and there are tons more events and missions. It ain't a 1404 but it is really kinda ok now.

That said once you get ownership of stocks of a few companies the bonus % you get from that are also pretty neat.... so yeah, either you like it at this stage, or you don't...

I like it

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2016, 23:01 eRe4s3r

Quboid wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 19:17:
Creston wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 18:48:
descender wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 14:25:
It's hilarious that they've managed to sell as many of these "progamer douchebag" mice without people realizing that they are utterly pointless.

Bro! Do you even FPS, bro??!

My Logitech G700s wireless gaming mouse supports up to 1Khz* and 8200 DPI. Why? It's a very nice mouse but surely that's far more than anyone could need. I have both set to about a quarter of those limits, to boost the battery life up to usable.

* Polling rate isn't really that useful, it's not an indication of latency.

Wireless mice have latency issues in my gaming altar room. I mean drops and random disconnects btw.. so yeah. Btw, the real issue is that we got used to the mx518 and it's quirks... newer mice feel very different. I tried a Razor one once, and I got elbow and wrist pains within 3 days. Mouse choice is a very fickle thing, and not everyone of us actually *HAS* much of a choice. If the form isn't the way the G400 or mx518 is then we have a problem ;p

Btw, I use the DPI adjustment in games all the time.... so DPI isn't a selling point for me, just another word of sensitivity (yes I know I does more than that...)

News Comments > Anno 2205 DLC
1. Re: Anno 2205 DLC Jul 20, 2016, 22:52 eRe4s3r

Time to dust this off again I guess.. 1.7gb patch for starters  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 14:02 eRe4s3r

KezClone wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 19:06:
descender wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 14:19:
At least it looks like Wired stopped with the full page "stop using an adblocker" thing they had going for a while.

Still wouldn't recommend lining to such a shit site though, half the Wired articles are paid advertisements.

This stuff with the Melania speech is just hilarious. Did the GOP actually get rickrolled by an intern speechwriter? What a clusterfuck.

I just got the full window "Turn off your adblocker" with no way past to the article.

Just tried again and see no such thing (as I said, Firefox/uBlock Origin/MSVP hosts blocklist.. I wonder if this some kind of region or country detection going on.. wouldn't surprise me...

Anyway, plenty of other news sources for this.. and for stuff like this Google News is the best option.. tons of links to basically the same news...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2016, 13:41 eRe4s3r

BobBob wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 12:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 06:25:
BobBob wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 18:38:
I see three girls in bikinis walking by three guys playing Pokémon Go, totally ignoring the girls. Well, at least they won't breed.

And if you're going to play ... get the $#!&# off the bike path!

You say that, but interest in sex is at an all time low in Japan, where people have been addicted to devices for decades. There are so few babies being born that the population is expected to fall from 120M today to 90M by 2050.

And ... ?

His point is, I assume, that they would be ignoring those "bikini babes" with or without Pokemon Go or indeed with or without smart phone in hand.

9854 Comments. 493 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo