Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11589 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Adds Nightmare Difficulty
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Adds Nightmare Difficulty Dec 13, 2017, 07:56 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 07:30:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 06:36:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 20:06:
Shouldn't that hard difficulty be labeled "Anubis" level?

More like Seth level (God of storms and decay)

I knew a somebody named Seth when I was a kid, total jerk. That explains a lot.

To be honest, the history of the god Seth is quite interesting Meanings vary and nobody is quite sure what he stood for.. heh

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Adds Nightmare Difficulty
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Adds Nightmare Difficulty Dec 13, 2017, 06:36 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2017, 20:06:
Shouldn't that hard difficulty be labeled "Anubis" level?

More like Seth level (God of storms and decay)

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
7. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Dec 12, 2017, 02:16 eRe4s3r

TheVocalMinority wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 10:08:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 19:09:
The problem with automatic updates in Debian 10 is that to consciously allow that you have to trust the hosters behind the package updates. And I seriously do not. This isn't a hardened infrastructure like Windows Update (the one thing that MS did not fuck up, even though it fucked WU up in many other ways). This is some automatically compiled stuff non-supervised and without any oversight. You can literally count the days till this is hacked.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about here but I suspect you have no idea how Debian updates work. I'm no expert but I know the updates are signed and I'm also pretty sure Debian packages generally consist of pre-compiled binaries these days not code (other than the packages that actually give you the code for the binary packages).

Uh.... what has anything you said to do with hosting providers? You know where Debian hosts updates? You might wanna look that up, before you trust this system, or any OS auto update system, that is.

WU would be equally impossible to trust if MS actually hosted their updates anywhere but their own datacenters and servers.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Dec 12, 2017, 01:59 eRe4s3r

Good to see relevant issues are causing uproars on the internet...

oh wait... nevermind

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Dec 10, 2017, 19:09 eRe4s3r

The problem with automatic updates in Debian 10 is that to consciously allow that you have to trust the hosters behind the package updates. And I seriously do not. This isn't a hardened infrastructure like Windows Update (the one thing that MS did not fuck up, even though it fucked WU up in many other ways). This is some automatically compiled stuff non-supervised and without any oversight. You can literally count the days till this is hacked.

Also about the "safe"
the developer could build a smartphone app that could silently break into any existing VT20i safe in seconds, as long as Bluetooth was turned on.

At this point that can't even be called a safe, it's a metal box.

Also the company is REALLY called Vault Tek? Lmao

Well, you get what you pay for.. with Vault Tech you often get more than you want too.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 9, 2017, 19:51 eRe4s3r

It takes 3 to 5 years to make a brand new engine for a new API, so how is DX12 losing steam? It has barely support currently and new games with fundamentally new engines are still 2-4 years away. And once consoles use DX12 or Vulcan (both have the same issue) this will become a landrush on DX12/Vulcan. Considering how awesome performance is in Doom I would welcome Vulcan engines to be honest.  

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Dec 9, 2017, 01:11 eRe4s3r

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 21:49:
It's almost like heating water in a confined space leads to a lot of pressure building up.

Indeed, but due to how microwaves work the structure of the liquid causes boiling delay or superheating and that has nothing to do with confined spaces, can happen with a glass of water.

The only thing required is that the molecule never touches another (different) molecule, and microwaves are prime candidates for this kind of nonsense, because they only vibrate the molecules and that means energy build up can lead to delayed explosions

Basic physics
Wiki: Superheating if you are curious, but I learned that literally in physics class with a VERY impressive experiment, that resulted in a glass of water to literally turn into a steam vapor-explosion (behind protection) after it was microwaved and then controlled disturbed (by shaking it with a stick heh ;p)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 8, 2017, 19:55 eRe4s3r

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 18:13:
He cemented his head in the fucking microwave to make money off youtube.

Man that's dedication, but i think he should be fined a days run time of a fire truck, 5 (2 hours) worth of wages for this imbecile stunt.

Far as I know, you only get fined if you call services for something where there is no emergency, I think this definitely qualified as an emergency, even if the dude is a fucking retard.... what a legal system can do though if it finds a dedicated person in charge, is declare him legally insane

News Comments > Hello Neighbor Released
1. Re: Hello Neighbor Released Dec 8, 2017, 19:40 eRe4s3r

Steam reviews are devastating it  

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 8, 2017, 05:49 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 02:01:
Amazon wants a key to your house. I did it. I regretted it.

Why would anyone think this was ever, ever a good idea?

Dunce

Because stupid rules the world

News Comments > Stellaris Humanoids Species Pack Released
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 7, 2017, 20:26 eRe4s3r

LiTh wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 19:50:
Although I'll skip this one, I'm quite ok with these type of DLC's as they keep funding one of my favorite 4x games there is. I'm pretty excited about the next patch with all the changes, especially in defensive structures and losing to doomstack mechanic changes.

We'll have to wait and see whether that really does what they promised, it would require a total redo of every combat related thing in the game, adding new functions to the engine, recoding the entire combat system and replacing the god-awful "let's run away forever when FP is not equal" fleet AI that they have... I get it, it makes realistic sense, but it's SUUUUUUPER annoying to have to split up all your fleets into 1 ship fleets to hold a planet suppressed...

News Comments > Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin
13. Re: Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin Dec 7, 2017, 03:55 eRe4s3r

saluk wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 02:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:50:
Bill Borre wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:31:
I'm not sure why transaction costs are ever anything but trivial since it's all done through computers I would guess the business overhead for them is very low.

It's because transactions are % fees calculated in bitcoin, and when value goes up, then so do transaction fees. One of the (many) flaws of Bitcoin.

The currency has to start implementing fractions and move the decimal points a few hundred places to the right to reduce transaction fees back to normal

It's a little more than that. The transaction fee is part of the incentive for miners to mine the chain to begin with. When a miner mines a set of transactions, they are confirming that that block of transactions is valid - and are awarded based on the fees that the chunk contains. If the fees are too small, the miners dont want to mine it, and things grind to a halt. There are also technical issues regarding the size of the blocks and the capability for miners to even verify the block - with the current hash rate transactions take a longer and longer time to verify, which also contributes to increasing fees.

Yeah, definitely issues, in terms of being a useful currency.

Being a useful holding however... it's kind of winning at that for the time being!

Thanks for clarifying But if what you say is true, then your holding may at some point be worth less than the fees.... since hashing difficulty increases? Sounds to me like a really bad idea to hold that any longer, cash out now and walk away rich. Or later, and maybe not walk away at all?

How is bitcoin even managed? Can they even fracture the currency? (and who is they?) (moving decimal points?)

News Comments > Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin
4. Re: Valve Cashing Out of Bitcoin Dec 6, 2017, 21:50 eRe4s3r

Bill Borre wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:31:
I'm not sure why transaction costs are ever anything but trivial since it's all done through computers I would guess the business overhead for them is very low.

It's because transactions are % fees calculated in bitcoin, and when value goes up, then so do transaction fees. One of the (many) flaws of Bitcoin.

The currency has to start implementing fractions and move the decimal points a few hundred places to the right to reduce transaction fees back to normal

News Comments > Bridge Constructor Portal Announced
3. Re: Bridge Constructor Portal Announced Dec 6, 2017, 14:00 eRe4s3r

I need this in my steam library!  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 6, 2017, 13:56 eRe4s3r

Goodbye Titanfall, we never truly knew ya.
And goodbye to the developers, signing up to a studio serial killer is probably the dumbest thing you can do.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 5, 2017, 22:25 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 20:20:
Online bots are able to go online and buy out popular holiday toys. That leaves parents having to shop on third-party sites like eBay and Amazon for the items and buy them at a markup from their original price, The New York Democrat said Sunday.

What do you mean, have to? It's time junior gets used to disappointment and learns you can't always get what you want. Welcome to real life, kid.

Or teach the child how to snipe good offers him/herself, a much needed skill when you don't swim in money.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 5, 2017, 20:16 eRe4s3r

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 18:33:
It'll be interesting to see if they treat -these- employees the same way they've treated raters for their search algorithms, i.e. like trash, to be managed by a third party for plausible deniability.

With a big corporation, that kinda shit is guaranteed no?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2017, 15:33 eRe4s3r

One thing is for certain, if I had to watch even 1 of those automated kid abuse videos I would be sad, 1000's of them every day, I'd go insane....  

News Comments > Star Control Rights Follow-up
8. Re: Star Control Rights Follow-up Dec 5, 2017, 14:01 eRe4s3r

That's a lot of text for 3 games really absolutely nobody cares about anymore.... and that aren't sold anywhere legally aside by the one who owns the license to sell them on Steam (which is Stardock) otherwise Steam would have pulled the games long ago. The reason GoG sold them is that GoG signed extraneous and illegal distribution agreements by the way, if what Wardell says is true the 2 dudes are NOT legally allowed to sell "their own game", so their permission is completely irrelevant.

TL;DR, maybe they should hire an actual lawyer instead of making blog posts....

That said, if they do own the rights to sell the games I would be very surprised, I always assumed they gave them away for free because they LITERALLY can not sell them ^^ So I was even more surprised when I saw them on GoG being sold. Something along the lines is either 1 party spreading a lie or both sides lie or both sides don't understand IP law.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 5, 2017, 00:08 eRe4s3r

It's a nice marketing trick, 8bit display but color calibrated and AdobeRGB.. but those LUT tests do not test for gradient transitions. And HDR10 would look absolutely abysmal on a 8bit display, you'd lose over 30% of the source data in that transition.... sad to see Philips Brilliance stands for nothing anymore.  

11589 Comments. 580 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo