Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ere

Real Name ere   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname eRe4s3r
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description 3D-Modeller, Anime Geek, Internet Addict, Lurker
Homepage http://ere4s3r.deviantart.com
Signed On Jan 29, 2009, 14:16
Total Comments 11415 (Ninja)
User ID 54727

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 21, 2017, 20:17 eRe4s3r

Isn't the Iphone 8 a rebrand of the Iphone 7 ? Or am i confused Because I can't tell the both devices apart from screenshot, seriously.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2017, 20:11 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 19:48:
Well, off they go to WikiLeaks and the NYT. Was that the intended consequence?

With Trump there are only unintended consequences

News Comments > Steam Link on the Cheap
4. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Oct 20, 2017, 15:20 eRe4s3r

Bitterbug wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:30:
Steam Link is absolutely awesome --- when it works.
They often fail for no discernible reason and using the reset options is hit or miss. But the streaming quality is fantastic, so on sale you can get your money's worth.

Mhh I had a lot of troubles with it until I switched to a 1070 GTX and a wired connection.. since then streaming quality (at 1080p) has increased tremendously... it's hard to believe but when I am streaming movies playing on host via KODI (via steamlink) I can't tell any quality loss... so I am still happy with mine bought on release

And that thing is a real life saver when your monitor dies, you can still access your desktop with it... which saved my bacon

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Released
8. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Released Oct 18, 2017, 07:42 eRe4s3r

Nucas wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 03:33:
does anyone else tune out "comedy games" or is it just me?

i think it may be an inherent fault of mine, though. i realized tonight when i was browsing netflix that i never really seek out stand-up, 'funny' movies, etc. like i'll watch it if it's on and have a chuckle but in general i'd rather take in other things if given the choice.

Nah you are most definitely not alone, I love humor but a movie focused exclusively on it bores me to death. And games, well I never really grasped South Park humor so these games do nothing for me in that regard, they just crazy strange RPG's and for that I like them

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
15. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 17, 2017, 23:18 eRe4s3r

And... another studio EA killed  

News Comments > ELEX Released
2. Re: ELEX Released Oct 17, 2017, 10:10 eRe4s3r

It's not actually released.... unlock is in 3 hours... just saying  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Ophelia Oct 16, 2017, 04:51 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 01:02:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 00:10:
I have nothing bad to say about this storm, it brings 25C warm desert air and a nice breeze to my area. Without it, temperature would be 9C or lower. And it lasts the entire week.

That's because you live 500 miles away from the path of the storm.

Just goes to show, one persons "oh my god the world is ending" storm is another persons "oh, nice, sunshine and blue skies" in October (We Germans call this "Golden October" because that's how our storm situations usually pan out) ;p

But we had our storm last week, and it was pretty severe, so don't think I am not taking storms seriously, but from O to E (October to Eastern) storms are perfectly normal in this region. This one is neither the strongest (when it hits) nor the first (had already 3 storms before this one, weaker but still severe). This is hugely unusual insofar as the temperatures had been really low the past weeks, and only last week storm changed climate conditions to even allow this hurricane to form like this.

And imo it's far worse that my CRT blew up last week (right during the storm too) so now I have finally ponied up some cash for a 27" 1440p 144hz screen with gsync ;p

Anyhow, hope the brits are gonna be alright, our winter storms are always kinda scary.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Ophelia Oct 16, 2017, 00:10 eRe4s3r

I have nothing bad to say about this storm, it brings 25C warm desert air and a nice breeze to my area. Without it, temperature would be 9C or lower. And it lasts the entire week.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 9, 2017, 22:13 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 21:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 20:16:
He says on a normal tour he has about 3 false positives and by now he knows where to literally disable the assist systems.
I'm actually somewhat surprised it is possible and he is allowed to disable the system. I fear the day when these systems are forced on us...

One would hope that by then there are no more false positives, especially not the ones that pull emergency brakes out of nowhere. You can imagine that this is not only annoying, but extremely dangerous to anyone driving behind such a truck and for the truck driver that ain't good for the heart either.

Even holding a lane isn't something you should have enabled when driving through construction... because the system gets REALLY confused when you have yellow lanes (in Germany that's a lane overriding the white lane) and very tight track limits with reflectors as it is standard here. At night the system picks.. the middle (fail-safe I assume) just be aware of that when driving next to a truck.

If you are curious, just pull up any current trucker youtuber and watch a normal tour with assist systems, I assume they would show you what I am talking about. My buddy said in night + winter you couldn't use the lane assist and brake assist because the light reflecting from snow made the system think lanes and cars were where no cars nor lanes were.... that's my base for saying this tech is nowhere near ready. Maybe in a desert, but in Germany, where you have fluctuating climate conditions from scorching hot, foggy 100% humidity, to -30C with heavy snow and ice such systems need a lot more tuning.... and as soon as you get "special" intersections, of which ol europe has aplenty... then you need a proper AI, and we simply do NOT have a proper AI. You can partially do stuff that looks great (automated parking is one of these) even on trucks that system generally works.... but as soon as you got special conditions (night, water puddles, ice, snow, fog) it goes downhill from there.....

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 9, 2017, 20:16 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 17:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 16:20:
Even I think self-driving cars are still 20 years out, AI is nowhere, really NOWHERE near what is needed. And cars don't have super computers yet either....

How about commercial vehicles, like trucks?
Bud's already done some deliveries with it. It's PR now, but still proof of concept.

Depends on the route. If you only have very simple intersections, sure, but AI proof of concept would fail spectacularly literally 200m from my home. T intersection with a mirror that you need to tell whether a car is coming from the right. Since you can't see it from the stopping point. AI does not understand mirrors, and thus would 100% cause an accident there. Maybe once all cars are AI and traffic networks are aware of where each car is such intersections are easy, but that is not what the reality is right now.

And 20 years is realistic, 10 years for AI assist-level 4 to market, 10 years for assist-level 5 (fully autonomous)

Remember, Assist-level 5 would require a 100% digitalized traffic network, nation-wide! 20 years is imo a very low estimate.

Lane-assist and stop-go stuff + emergency break assist isn't even AI, that's something every script + sensor suite can do. And that emergency stop thing works as well as you would expect (false positives.. many many of them). My trucker buddy is extremely negative about those assist systems. He says on a normal tour he has about 3 false positives and by now he knows where to literally disable the assist systems. First few times he nearly got a heart attack, when a 20t suddenly pulls full brakes because the collision warning assistant thought that a sign in the night was a stopped car --- that's nota joking matter

Ps.: He drives current generation Mercedes truck.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 9, 2017, 16:20 eRe4s3r

Even I think self-driving cars are still 20 years out, AI is nowhere, really NOWHERE near what is needed. And cars don't have super computers yet either....  

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Trailer
5. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 15:27 eRe4s3r

Nice rolling demo, but there was nothing in-game about this. Unless that's the whole game ;p  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 8, 2017, 15:22 eRe4s3r

If he could find this via bin-diff... why isn't he releasing patches for W7/w8 ? The dlls are clearly (mostly) identical so user hack would easily fix that.

Or is "modding" system DLL's not a thing yet?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 8, 2017, 15:16 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 15:05:
Micro LED looks like somewhat of a game-changer. 90% lower power consumption vs. standard LCD? Wow.

Yeah, but let's wait and see about performance data and price ;p We all thought OLED would be a game changer, and the "blue" problem has still not been solved. You buy an OLED right now you can throw it away after 5 years of continuous use as a desktop screen.

And now "Quantum Dot" and "microLED" ... well, it's good to have choices, but I'd rather want a good technology for a change.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 8, 2017, 14:02 eRe4s3r

Color shifting on LCD's? Wut? Haven't heard anything about that that couldn't be balanced by color profiles....

It seems OLED will be DOA, with that price tag 144hz 4K screens are entirely out of the picture.

News Comments > Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video
2. Re: Psychonauts 2 Gameplay Video Oct 7, 2017, 15:35 eRe4s3r

Pre-Alpha means exactly that, as long as we get Psychonauts I don't care much about polish.  

News Comments > Amazon Prime Trial/Twitch Prime PSA
2. Re: Amazon Prime Trial/Twitch Prime PSA Oct 6, 2017, 11:17 eRe4s3r

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is illegal  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Re: Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 23:45 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 22:46:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 18:40:
I still have a 20gb drive that runs fine to this day, though I have no uses for it Btw, how the heavens do you live with a 40GB SSD? I have a 500GB SSD and can barely get along with that, installing Total War games (Warhammer 1 and 2) alone nearly uses 30% of space. I barely got 100GB left...

I have a 1:1 backup in my NAS with HDD's from different companies and dates (to avoid exactly the issue you had) when 1 dies, I just swap out the HDD wait a few hours and all is fine. Of course the first NAS I had (Qnap) the fan died and despite having an replacement it wasn't actually the fan that died but the onboard voltage controller for the fan. I figured that out when it "smelled weird" after 10 minutes.. yay QNAP, never again!

Not fine: Defragging a 4TB HDD.. my god... yes, it is STILL needed, and it REALLY makes a HUGE fucking difference when you get beyond ~50% fragmentation and of course it takes forever (3 days for 4TB, for 8TB, I suspect it would be 12 days...)

I seem to have really good luck with HDD's though. Past 7 years 1 failed (thankfully in my 2 disc raid so aside from a wait there was no data loss). When it failed I bought 2 in a pack so I still have a replacement drive just sitting around not doing anything. You never know ;p

I have 2 mixed HDD's in my NAS because from my IT work I know that you NEVER use the same HDD made on the same day in a raid. Chances are that if they are from the same batch they have the same faults.

Heh, well, at the time 40gb was still a pretty good size SSD, in 2010. It's been my faithful OS boot disk since the beginning, typically leaving a generous 2gb's free space, just in case. Right now, with Win7x64, I have....a little more than 2gb's. Suited me fine. I will admit I was mighty tempted to swap my Mom's new 850 Evo 250gb with my 40gb. I mean she uses her computer maybe 3 or 4 times a week, mostly for banking, FB and light email. She's mostly on her iPad. (I threw both Windows7 AND Windows10 (she had 10gb of RAM but only a 32-bit version of Win7 originally, so was only using 3.5gb and it needed to be replaced with 64-bit. Since I built it, that was my fault for not looking ahead) on her system so that she could learn 10 at her own pace) In fact, I, just today, swapped monitors with her, giving her my 22" Samsung 2253BW LCD (that's 1680x1050, 16:10) and grabbing her 23.9" Dell S2309W LCD (which is 1920x1080, 16:9, full 1080p). I'd really love to get a G-sync monitor now that I have a 1050ti/4gb but it's gonna have to wait a little longer. Maybe for Christmas...lol.

Anyway, I'm dreading doing the whole defrag thing. I know it's gonna take days. Plus I need to off-load some stuff because you're 'supposed' to have at least 10% free (which would be around 200gb's on 2tb) and they're both full!

As for a NAS, I've thought about it but as with the whole RAID thing, I'm currently lacking in experience and knowledge of that particular subject. I'd thought about building a small server with some of the boards, cases and parts I have lying around, just so I could learn how to manage a server and that would require getting to know how to handle a NAS and possibly Linux, but like most projects you write on your 'to-do' list, they keep getting pushed back in exchange for more time wiping out your game backlog. Well, at least it does for me!

=-Rigs-=

Just buy a ready made NAS like DS216se from Synology and it's basically plug and play (I use a DS214se and have only good things to say about Synology NAS solutions)

In this market you get what you pay for, and you gonna need active cooling for NAS with big HDD's (they get really hot ,p)

And by the way, even a 500"gb" SSD is only really 429 actual GB, the extra space gives you a lot longer lifetime, more provision space and stuff.

For gaming it's imo a bad idea to have a small system partition by the way, some games savegames can become quite large Some games store mods and maps in user account, or screenshots... it's why I decided to go for the "big" samsung evo

News Comments > ELEX Trailer
9. Re: ELEX Trailer Oct 5, 2017, 18:42 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 22:53:
I've enjoyed PB's previous games, though they haven't really evolved much since Gothic. Combat and traversal are still janky. October is already overloaded with games I want to play so I'll probably hold off on this until I'm done with those.

On a side note, Elex appears to suffer from a lack of decisiveness. It's like PB wasn't sure if they wanted to make a fantasy, sci-fi or post-apocalyptic RPG so they just threw all three together.

But if you love the jank, then the jank loves you back ^^ Btw, in every game from PB combat evolved. Not always in a good direction, but Elex has completely different RPG mechanics compared to all previous titles.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 18:40 eRe4s3r

Rigs wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 17:46:
*LONG STORY WARNING!*

Oh geez, the stories I could tell. Hard drives are a pet peeve of mine and have been for a while, if only because I seem to always get the shittiest bunch of drives on the face of the Earth! I'd thought, in the past, that Seagates were unstoppable, only because the ones I'd had performed very well and lasted nearly a decade. Then, in 2011, I hit a fucking wall, apparently.

I'd gotten a 2tb Western Digital as a backup drive during a new system build (what would be become the system I type this on now - 'Black Omega 2' (The first 'Black Omega', in case you're wondering, was built almost exactly a year before with a (now somewhat legendary Core2Duo E8400), right when the Core i-series came out, so, realizing it was already obsolete out of the box, I sold it to my cousin and built 'BO2' with a first-gen Core i5/750). We were moving houses at the same time and my room was a mess of containers and furniture. In my stupidity, I had it sitting externally on my desk with a long SATA cable and one late night, I snagged it with my leg and down it went onto the hard wood floor while it was copying files. It never ran after that. It would spool up, make a dreadful screech/crunch/multi-car-pileup sound and spool down again. All the files I'd copied over, nearly the whole drive by that point - gone. Oh, I was pissed! At myself, mainly. So I had it RMA'd, telling them it just died one day and had a second drive within a month. At the same time, I bought another 2tb, another Western Digital Caviar Black, near identical to the RMA'd drive. About three months after we moved and I had both drives filled to near bursting, they BOTH started acting strangely, making weird clicking sounds on occasion and one would intermittently drop from view only to come back later. From previous experience with drives that make this sound, I knew they weren't long for this world and RMA'd them both. Fast forward two years, near the end of the replacements' warranty period and they BOTH, once again, started making the same exact fucking clicking noise! I was dumbfounded! And once again, one of them, not both, would intermittently drop from sight. I couldn't believe it! So, I quickly RMA'd them both AGAIN, just getting them in about a week before the warranty on them expired. I now still have the replacements of replacements, after five years and they've run fine, though they ARE full and are in desperate need of a defragging!

I didn't consider using them in a RAID array, since I know you might be wondering that, because A. I needed the space of both B. Both had gone bad before, thus negating the reason for the RAID array to begin with and C. I didn't have any experience in doing it. Since then, I've recently lost a Seagate 500gb drive that was only two years old and another Seagate 500gb drive that was in my mother's system, that I built, that is dying, with 'reallocated sectors' and 'unrecoverable sectors', a sure sign of a dying drive.

It's not that I'm doing anything wrong, these drives just seems to die easily and out of nowhere for no reason. But then I've had drives from my P2/400 system in 1997 that still run, a 6gb Hitachi drive which runs fine, though is slow and IDE. I hope to be able to replace ALL of my drives with SSD's in the near future. I just got a Samsung 850EVO 250gb for the Seagate drive that is dying on my mother's system and the speed of it blows me away! I have a small 40gb Intel X-25 SSD from when I built BO2 and it's still going fine which I use as my primary Win7 boot drive. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully trust a mechanical hard drive again, no matter the manufacturer.

=-Rigs-=

I still have a 20gb drive that runs fine to this day, though I have no uses for it Btw, how the heavens do you live with a 40GB SSD? I have a 500GB SSD and can barely get along with that, installing Total War games (Warhammer 1 and 2) alone nearly uses 30% of space. I barely got 100GB left...

I have a 1:1 backup in my NAS with HDD's from different companies and dates (to avoid exactly the issue you had) when 1 dies, I just swap out the HDD wait a few hours and all is fine. Of course the first NAS I had (Qnap) the fan died and despite having an replacement it wasn't actually the fan that died but the onboard voltage controller for the fan. I figured that out when it "smelled weird" after 10 minutes.. yay QNAP, never again!

Not fine: Defragging a 4TB HDD.. my god... yes, it is STILL needed, and it REALLY makes a HUGE fucking difference when you get beyond ~50% fragmentation and of course it takes forever (3 days for 4TB, for 8TB, I suspect it would be 12 days...)

I seem to have really good luck with HDD's though. Past 7 years 1 failed (thankfully in my 2 disc raid so aside from a wait there was no data loss). When it failed I bought 2 in a pack so I still have a replacement drive just sitting around not doing anything. You never know ;p

I have 2 mixed HDD's in my NAS because from my IT work I know that you NEVER use the same HDD made on the same day in a raid. Chances are that if they are from the same batch they have the same faults.

11415 Comments. 571 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo