Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jon

Real Name Jon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jonny
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 22, 2009, 07:50
Total Comments 494 (Amateur)
User ID 54712

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fort Zombie This Week
8. Re: Fort Zombie This Week Oct 26, 2009, 15:35 Jonny

I'm a massive fan of Kerberos due to Sword of the Stars, and I'm looking forward to Northstar, but even for a $10 casual game that looks awful. I'm hoping that when it comes out the glitches in that trailer like apparent clipping through zombies, bad FPS and awkward movement will have been just a product of the recording software. Low quality graphics are fine as long as everything runs smoothly and the core mechanics sound awesome.

*Edit*

Apparently the frame rate issues are just the result of a bad trailer. According to the Kerberos guys this wasn't produced at their end, but there should be one that is out in the next few days.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2009, 16:11.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elder Scrolls V Hint
9. Re: Elder Scrolls V Hint Oct 25, 2009, 15:32 Jonny

They've never had a jump in the story of that size before. Makes me wonder what they're up to and what Tamriel will be like. If it's more alien-culture-Morrowind and a lot less boring as fuck generic fantasy Oblivion I'll be well happy.  

News Comments > Spice Road Announced
5. Re: Spice Road Announced Oct 23, 2009, 07:03 Jonny

Comedy Dune references aside, I thought the 17th and 18th centuries saw the complete collapse of the spice road as it was bypassed by ship trade? Seems a strange time to set it in over the many thousands of years it flourished and was massively profitable.  

News Comments > Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue
43. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 15, 2009, 09:25 Jonny

I can't believe I'm going to defend a scifi show's logic, but here goes:

The hatch was rusted shut. They had no equipment to move it, no hydraulic gear, no cutting gear, nothing.

The door they shut was the cargo ramp of a shuttle, which presumably those who built it could shut at will but they could only do manually from inside. Couldn't find the remote, obviously. It was probably down the back of the chair. It also wouldn't activate if it detected something blocking the door, so no poking the button with a big stick from outside. It also closed too fast for they guy inside to run back out after pressing the button.

The whole thing was really close to their arrival point, given that near-death guy was able to stagger there before anyone noticed he'd gone. It's a good chance they didn't have any extra bulkheads to shut or they'd have done it. Or the ship would as it's sealed off all the other areas open to space.

Robert Carlyle's character's alright, as is the colonel guy, but I really can't stand the nerdy one. He's blatantly a sap to what they obviously see as their main demographic, fat early twenties nerds who live with their parents, which is a bit off-putting to someone who isn't a fat nerd living with his parents.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 09:26.

News Comments > Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue
19. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 15:18 Jonny

It goes against my better judgment to even ask but what exactly is the premise of SGU?

Less wanky aliens and mythological bullshit and more character drama, apparently. I've only watched three episodes yet and I'm reserving judgement so far. I fear it may turn into a BSG-esque ridiculous made-up drama though, the "Yes, we're only 30,000 people from extinction, let's worry about upholding the constitution!" style of plot.

As for the actual premise of the show, load of people who don't really like each other stuck on a ship they can't get off.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Trailer
20. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 13, 2009, 09:31 Jonny

Sweet Bejeeezus, theyre really pulling out all the stops on this one. FFS I wouldnt be surprised if they put more money into this campaign than they did into development....
Funny you should say that. Anyone remember this from August?

"EA now typically spends two or three times as much on marketing and advertising as it does on developing a game."

News Comments > Dragon Age Trailers and Interviews
8. Re: Dragon Age Trailers and Interviews Oct 9, 2009, 16:34 Jonny

Broodmother trailer - I like! Nice graphics, an original looking monster, an eerie nursery rhyme that hints at fully fleshed out backstory.

It's a lot better than most of their trailers, I like the nursery rhyme as well, nice and creepy. That monster is uncannily like a Chaos spawn from Warhammer Fantasy though.

Given the criminal lack of Warhammer RPG's I don't mind in the slightest, but large chunks of this new world of theirs seems uncannily similar to the Old World. I suppose the quality or otherwise of the game itself will make Ferelden either stand on it's own or look like a mess of things copied from other sources. I still think a proper RPG set in the Jade Empire universe might have been better, we seem to be overloaded with western medieval fantasy settings.

News Comments > Homeworld Raider Retreat Rerelease
13. Re: Homeworld Raider Retreat Rerelease Sep 30, 2009, 10:28 Jonny

Well ok I admit I'm not very familiar with SAOSE but it seems to be there is a degree of 3d, a slice or brane in full 3d space if you like.

It's just a 3d camera, everything else is on the same plane. You put wheels on the ships and make gravity wells islands instead and it'd work exactly the same.

But not at a strategic/diplomatic level, goes my lament.

Really, try Sword of the Stars. It's strategy layer is in full 3d, the tactical battles are faux 3d (in that you only give commands on a 2d plane, but the ships themselves go up and down and all over the place) and it's made by people who worked on Homeworld:Cataclysm.

News Comments > Homeworld Raider Retreat Rerelease
8. Re: Homeworld Raider Retreat Rerelease Sep 30, 2009, 07:40 Jonny

This could have been the basis for a galaxy-spanning MMO diplomacy/strategy game.

In the meantime you got Sins of a Solar Empire. But Homeworld brings back a lot of good memories...

Sins is nothing like Homeworld though, apart from being set in space. It's a 2d RTS, not a proper 3d spaceship game.

Sword of the Stars is a lot closer to Homeworld, and it's galaxy wide strategy/diplomacy multiplayer is probably as close as you're going to get to the MMO you want.

News Comments > Study: Gamers "More Aggressive to Strangers"
17. Re: Study: Gamers Sep 29, 2009, 14:12 Jonny

It must have some social component though, what the study actually found is that humans are LESS aggressive towards people they know as opposed to total strangers.

Until the last 5,000ish years humans lived in small tribal groupings. It's advantageous in that situation to get along with those in your group instead of competing with them as co-operation yields greater rewards, but anyone you don't know (ie. not a member of your tribe) is automatically competition for resources. It's not like anyone expects a few centuries of mass city living to totally override thousands or millions of years of instinct.

News Comments > Study: Gamers "More Aggressive to Strangers"
3. Re: Study: Gamers Sep 29, 2009, 11:32 Jonny

Surely that's a no-brainer anyway? To your brain any male you meet that you don't know must be a rival, and if you start competing against them in anything it ramps everything up to help you win. Because it's thinking food, women and survival even if you're thinking Unreal Tournament.  

News Comments > Dragon Age Origins Trailer
14. Re: Stupid Question Sep 25, 2009, 05:02 Jonny

Is it just my imagination, or is this Zevran almost exactly like puss-in-boots from Shrek 2? Not just the accent, but the tone of voice, what he says, who his character is and pretty much everything bar being a cat in a pair of snazzy boots?  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
9. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Sep 22, 2009, 17:21 Jonny

Naxx had too many 7-9 hour runs that would start around 5 Saturday evening and sometimes not wrap until 1-2AM Sunday morning. Ugh...

I wish they'd put more solo content in. There can't be many people who can do stuff like that regularly, but there are surely lots of people who dip in and out and can't guarantee when or how long they will be on for in any session. A reworked solo version of instances with maybe a two or three week cooldown (to stop item grinding) that gives you two or three days to plod through at your own pace before kicking you out would be ideal.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer
3. Re: The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer Sep 18, 2009, 09:59 Jonny

It could be that CDProject are just a bit more internet savvy than most. After all, once it's hit the internet you'll never truly be able to make it private again, so why bother wasting time and annoying their potential future customers by chasing it down and demanding it's removal.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Trailer
16. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Sep 11, 2009, 16:30 Jonny

Impressive how she was firing that bow with no string on it.  

News Comments > Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter
8. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 14:54 Jonny

Thanks for the explanation Creston. Thumbsup

Can anyone recommend a good joy stick that will not break the bank?

This one seems popular. I've not got that model but I've had a Saitek Cyborg Evo for years now and it's always been a good joystick.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-AV8R-Retro-Joystick-PC/dp/B000I62PEK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252608495&sr=8-6

News Comments > Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter
3. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 11:29 Jonny

Note: complete source code does *not* mean assembly. Original C or C++ please!

I've no idea about software stuff, so could someone tell me what that means? Is it that they don't want a retail copy but need some software build that would have existed prior to shipping? Who would have that outside of the original company?

News Comments > Sins Add-on Plans Changed
1. Re: Sins Add-on Plans Changed Sep 6, 2009, 17:13 Jonny

What happened to the days when people just made an expansion pack? They could have had an expansion done and out the door containing all they wanted to do in the time it's taken for these "micro-expansions" to come out.  

News Comments > Fort Zombie Announced
31. Re: Fort Zombie Announced Sep 4, 2009, 17:15 Jonny

Fair enough. So tell me, from what they say in this "marketing blurb", what exactly is "interesting" or "innovative"? The only thing less innovative than a zombie game is a WWII shooter. Are those "innovative" too?

I'm not sure where all this is coming from. How many WWII shooters are there? Dozens. How many zombie games? Three spring to mind, L4D, Dead Rising and Stubbs the Zombie. None of these are RPGs. How many Stronghold based RPGs are there? None that I know of apart from Dwarf Fortress.

The only game you could say it resembles is Doublebear's Zombie game, and as I said earlier, Fort Zombie has been in development and known about for a lot longer.

This is avoiding the usual RPG cliches and dodging the run n gun zombie shooter genre. That makes it innovative to a certain extent, and that combined with the fact that it's made by Kerberos, who created one of the finest 4X strategy games I've ever played makes it interesting.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 19:52.

News Comments > Fort Zombie Announced
17. Re: Fort Zombie Announced Sep 4, 2009, 14:47 Jonny

You posted this in the wrong thread because there's nothing remotely interesting or innovative about this game.

Big call to make, considering the only details available are a two paragraph marketing blurb.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2009, 14:48.

494 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo