Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jon

Real Name Jon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jonny
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 22, 2009, 07:50
Total Comments 494 (Amateur)
User ID 54712

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer Aug 18, 2010, 19:28 Jonny

Well that looks shit, putting what amounts to a simple minigame people try once and then get bored of in an MMO is a strange way to go about things. God help everyone who buys this if those aren't skippable, especially with those annoying combat voices, about a month after release you'll get a spate of people around the globe leaping off bridges with a cry of "Aaaaargh! Score one for the good guys!!!!!!".  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age II Date and Trailer
10. Re: Dragon Age 2 Date and Trailer Aug 17, 2010, 17:01 Jonny

Fion wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 16:38:
Liked the narration by Kate Mulgrew, who played Flemeth in the original, but every other part of the trailer I disliked. The 12 foot sword, the demon vs guy with demon blood, so cliche, so has-been, so e-rpg.

While I agree with you on every other point, I kinda like the weapon he's got. It's not a big oversized JRPG sword, it looks more along the lines of a sword-staff like the japanese naginata. When most people just stick katanas in and leave it at that it's a faint hint of nonconformity which makes me vaguely hopeful.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2010, 12:23 Jonny

From what I gather it's not a "superbug" as such, it's a strand of coding for an enzyme which confers total antibiotic immunity to whichever bacteria acquires it. As bacteria often share these fragments of code around it means that almost any bacteria could suddenly develop a strain immune to antibiotics. Time to dig out the russian bacteriophage research, I suspect.

Also, I bet that Italian mother was super-popular round the dinner table that night.

News Comments > Rumor: The Old Republic Space Combat on Rails?
15. Re: Rumor: The Old Republic Space Combat on Rails? Aug 8, 2010, 19:13 Jonny

It kinda makes sense. The ships announced so far are both transports, they're not the kind of thing you fly about in like an X-wing. I'm guessing you plot a course for the autopilot and if you're attacked take to the turrets like that bit in the Falcon from the first Star Wars.

Bioware are well aware of how the "average gamer" gets baffled by complexity. Anyone remember all the complaining about how hard the turret minigame was in KotoR? That was literally just lead target and click LMB.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 17:47 Jonny

Sorry for your loss Blue. Mine was ill for a very long time and we knew it was coming, but it was still hard when it finally happened.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Overheating Bug
32. Re: StarCraft II Overheating Bug Jul 30, 2010, 13:06 Jonny

Wolfen wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 12:02:
I was wondering why this was the only game my gtx275's fan was blasting at high speeds for. Ill have to try the new settings and see if the fan stops now. Whats worse, is the fan would blaze not in missions, but in the sp campaign on the ship only. Cantina, armory, so on.

I was a bit confused by that as well. In missions with everything turned up to their highest my fans were normal, yet on the ship they went bonkers.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Patch, Price Drop
6. Re: Star Trek Online Patch, Price Drop Jul 29, 2010, 08:10 Jonny

Either make it F2P or severely drop the subscription price. The new content they're adding looks interesting, but not enough to justify a month's subscription to what is basically a bare bones generic MMO like a dozen others, draped in Star Trek.  

News Comments > PC Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Announced
26. Re: PC Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Announced Jul 26, 2010, 19:30 Jonny

The Adeptus Astartes (commonly known as Space Marines, and colloquially as Angels of Death)

Failing basic 40k nerdery negates your nerd rage.

News Comments > PC Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Announced
14. Re: PC Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Announced Jul 26, 2010, 16:52 Jonny

Tumbler wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 14:42:
Didn't really like how they called the marines "angels of death" because those are clearly the Ultramarine (chapter of space marines) and the Angels of death is a different chapter.

The Space Marines as a whole are the Emperor's Angels of Death. The phrase refers to all of them, not just a single chapter.

That said I'd have prefered the Blood Ravens to the Ultramarines. Dark, mysterious and infested with Chaos infiltration beats blue and shiny any day.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat
18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic to Feature Space Combat Jul 24, 2010, 04:38 Jonny

I thought the personal ships were all corvettes and armed transports, Millenium Falcon style? This makes me hope for a Nexus style strategical space portion, but I'm fully expecting to get mysteriously crammed into a fighter for some wanky arcade blasting.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Re:12% of UK 'can't see 3D' Jul 13, 2010, 05:23 Jonny

I can't see it either. I've tried with the goggles over my glasses and under my glasses but all I get is a normal picture with green ghost images and a splitting headache.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2010, 15:03 Jonny

Am I missing something? Since when was Dragon Age "open and infinitely superior in complexity"? As soon as you finished the Origin tale the game was as linear as anything else, with a load of fake choices with no consequences chucked in to disguise the fact. It had the shitty pause-flail-pause combat that Bioware's so fond of, neither as strategic as proper turn based nor as fun and fluid as proper real time combat.

RPG's are my favourite genre and have been since I started gaming way back with Ultima VII and Underworld, but Dragon Age was mediocrity incarnate. I'm quite happy to play one character through a properly built branching storyline than suffer faux-choice syndrome so that I can choose which variety of arse I see running around for 40 hours.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Testing Underway
19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Testing Underway Jul 9, 2010, 19:00 Jonny

These Jedi are also trained after the Exile from Kotor 2 rebuilt the Order. He had all that spiel about relying on the Force too much weakens rather than empowers, they could have all manner of fancy gadgetry, armour and unusual weapons at their disposal.  

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Testing Underway Jul 9, 2010, 16:49 Jonny

kxmode wrote on Jul 9, 2010, 16:29:
single player content (specifically where my decisions have meaningful changes).

They need to use that technology Blizzard started using with WotLK. Phasing or something, I think, which allowed the players to affect the game world. One of the very worst things about MMO's is completing some vitally urgent, must be done ASAP or we're all doomed task and then going past over and over again during the following months to see everything exactly the same. LotrO is worst at this, I feel, the dread armies of the Witch King have been sitting on their collective arses for three years now.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Testing Underway Jul 9, 2010, 15:55 Jonny

I was neutral about it until I heard about player ships. I fear there is no greater way to set a space nerd's heart aflame than to offer him a virtual spaceship. I'm now officially excited yet expecting to be disappointed, standard practice for games I'm looking forward to these days.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II Character Changes
22. Re: Dragon Age 2 Character Changes Jul 8, 2010, 18:54 Jonny

Meh, this could be a good move. DA's world was fairly interesting, but I felt it was badly let down by the total lack of any major consequences for the player's choices and a lacklustre linear story after the Origins were finished. No matter what you did you ended up with the same outcome, varying in only the most minor detail.

Hopefully by focussing on one character they can properly manage a branching storyline with good C&C, although the pessimist side of me is fully expecting a medieval Mass Effect 2 clone.

News Comments > GoG vs Goliath
21. Re: GoG vs Goliath Jul 1, 2010, 18:00 Jonny

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 1, 2010, 16:29:
In my world of online digital purchases the order of priority goes: GOG > Steam > Direct2Drive > Impulse. Everyone else can die. Did you hear me GFWL? I said die!

I go GOG > Gamers Gate > Steam > Impulse. Direct2Drive is way to intrusive to my liking. Gamers Gate is a close 2nd and Steam is a much further back 3rd unless it is an online game.

-Marc

I used to be a huge fan of Gamersgate, until I had a load of things charged to my credit card from it that I never bought. When I e-mailed them to find out what the fuck was going on they just told me they'd had a rash of credit card fraud on the site and I should call the coppers. Call me paranoid, but if I use several sites to buy stuff and only one lets my credit card number slip out then I tend to avoid them in future.

Currently I go GoG>Steam>Impulse>>>>>>>>D2D.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. UK Game tax breaks scrapped… Jun 22, 2010, 11:04 Jonny

it will be interesting to hear him justify to the same industry he so willingly embraced why the decision has been made to drop subsidies.

"Dear games industry, we're flat broke because those same Labour assholes who promised you the tax break couldn't stop spending all our money."

How's that for a justification?

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Safety Dance Jun 18, 2010, 16:33 Jonny

Wasn't this exact thing the premise for Escape From L.A. some 15-odd years ago? They're not exactly on the cutting edge of fearmongering with this.  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2010, 14:09 Jonny

Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2010, 19:17:
The networks need to filter that irritating shit out or its going to crush ratings. We had the volume on at work till everyone started complaing about the hum, so we killed the volume and put the music back on.

FIFA's considering banning the vuvuzela from grounds because of all the complaints worldwide. That's not going to be popular in South Africa.

494 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo