Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jon

Real Name Jon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jonny
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 22, 2009, 07:50
Total Comments 494 (Amateur)
User ID 54712

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Star Wars: The Old Republic's Advanced Classes
17. Re: On Star Wars: The Old Republic's Advanced Classes Oct 7, 2010, 16:30 Jonny

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 04:11:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 00:23:
Ageism in game discussion/design is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Usually they go along the lines of your own comment, "I'm old, so I don't play fast paced games" or the "I'm old I don't have time to play a story that takes 30 hours."

Doesn't have much to do with age, it's just personal preference.

I'm not really sure what you meant if that wasn't it. Why would making it twich-based alienate older gamers? Why wouldn't it just alienate gamers who don't like twitch-based gameplay?

I more so meant Biowares older fans, rather than all the new ones Mass Effect gained them. The ones that perfer games like Baldur's gate and the like. There's not many developers making party based classic CRPG's these days. It would suck if Bioware stopped making them as well.

Ah, you meant those fans like me? Old in the sense that I'm in my 30s and old in the sense that I cut my teeth on the Ultima games and think Baldur's Gate was awesome?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 12 Million WoW Subscribers
15. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 11:36 Jonny

I've tried a lot of MMOs, and despite the complaining people do about it WoW is the only one that *feels* right. The art style is perfectly suited to the constraints of the genre, lower details means little on cartoon graphics, the gameplay is polished and smooth, plenty of diversions to keep you entertained. I've levelled up to 80 in fits and starts over the last two years and apart from EVE it's the only MMO I've ever been back to.

WoW's dominance isn't a fluke, it genuinely is the best all rounder out there, notwithstanding personal taste of course.

News Comments > Early DNF Demo with Borderlands GOTY
31. Re: Early DNF Demo with Borderlands GOTY Oct 6, 2010, 16:21 Jonny

Wasn't reading Blues or any other news site at the time, I was at uni with no internet access beyond the computer lab.  

29. Re: Early DNF Demo with Borderlands GOTY Oct 6, 2010, 06:43 Jonny

Sepharo wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 21:30:
Jonny wrote on Oct 5, 2010, 12:46:
Shit, I bought a video card once with a coupon for a copy of Half Life 2 in the box. Several years later when it finally came out the offer was no longer valid, not buying into this kind of incentive again.

You're either lying or just didn't try.

Because I had the same deal and actually got more than was originally offered for my troubles.

All I had to do was type the key in Steam.

Didn't fucking try, obviously. Mysteriously I saw my coupon expire well before it even came close to seeing the light of day, the card was also replaced well before and it got binned during a spring clean. I'm not suggesting some grand conspiracy to defraud, just that I'm never going to be interested in this kind of thing again because chances are when it finally comes time I'll have forgotten about it, lost it, or something else will crop up.

If you keep old coupons around for years then you'd have no problem. As for me I'll amend the orginal line to read:

Several years later when it finally came out the offer was no longer valid and I'd binned the coupon.

Happy?

2. Re: Early DNF Demo with Borderlands GOTY Oct 5, 2010, 12:46 Jonny

Shit, I bought a video card once with a coupon for a copy of Half Life 2 in the box. Several years later when it finally came out the offer was no longer valid, not buying into this kind of incentive again.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December
21. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm in December Oct 4, 2010, 15:06 Jonny

Nice. I've just got landed with a guild as well, so I'm looking forward to the guild functionality and leveling.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Footage
9. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Footage Oct 3, 2010, 18:19 Jonny

Like it. Always a fan of a bit of ridiculous over the top machismo.  

11. Re: On Star Wars: The Old Republic's Advanced Classes Oct 3, 2010, 09:20 Jonny

On the old 2d infinity engine a rtwp system worked well. It led to a reasonably fluid strategic combat. NWN, NWN2, KotoR 1&2 and DA are all full 3d engines and the rtwp doesn't seem to scale well to the increased level of detail. It becomes flail, pause, flail, fall over, and while I'm sure I'm going to be called a console kiddy, I enjoyed the better combat flow of JE and the ME series a whole lot more.

If they'd go full turn based, cut the full V/O and up the dialogue quality I'd be happy. Failing that extremely unlikely scenario I'd much rather they go full real time combat and bring that side of their games up to FPS or action game standard, then merge it with more detailed dialogue, character building and non-combat gameplay.

9. Re: On Star Wars: The Old Republic's Advanced Classes Oct 3, 2010, 06:29 Jonny

Slashman wrote on Oct 2, 2010, 20:34:
Perfect? No. But to call it a 'fail' on every level is pretty damn silly in my mind. As even people who enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series still enjoyed DA:O.

Fail to me, I said. I'm mysteriously aware that other people have differing opinions and I'm perfectly okay with that. Dragon Age was sold as a return to the heyday of Baldur's Gate, what I found was that apart from one or two of the origins the game lacked any relevant choice and consequences, the characters were adequate, the enemy and plot pedestrian in the extreme. Not to mention the huge amount of that filler combat. Even the DLC and the expansion were lackluster, so I viewed it as failing to deliver for me. Other people are likely to disagree, didn't think I needed to qualify that.

Don't like old school rpg's with semi real time combat? Fine don't buy them, but don't demand that every developer hops on the action fest. There's still a market for traditional RPG's and not enough developers make them right now.

Again, not demanding anything. I also like traditional RPG's done well and enjoy my turn based combat, I'm still waiting for Age of Decadence. I've just deeply disliked Bio's RTwP since they started it in NWN and as I mentioned above, didn't feel that Dragon Age was anywhere near the quality of it's ancestor. Mass Effect 2 had a silly plot but it often took the piss out of itself, was well put together and most importantly, entertaining.

As I'm not a genre obsessive and don't crack pointless comments about ADHD kiddies on consoles I don't honestly give a fuck if they start mixing RPG's with shooters, as long as the end result is entertaining I'm happy.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Oct 2, 2010, 20:28 Jonny

Arcanum is pretty damn awesome all round, but the setting is exquisite. Victorian steampunk meets D&D fantasy was a great idea done well.  

4. Re: On Star Wars: The Old Republic's Advanced Classes Oct 2, 2010, 06:20 Jonny

*sigh* I want to believe, I really do.

I just can't silence that part of me which hates Bioware's RTwP combat, and suspects the game is going to be full of choices like this:

"'scuse me? Could you fetch me 10 medikits from the outlaws in the next zone?"

"Certainly, don't worry about payment" +1 Lightside
"Sure, have my money ready for when I get back" +2000 credits
"Mwahahahah!!!! I'll slaughter them all!!! And when I get back I demand to kick your puppy!!!!" +1 Darkside

Much as it would have horrified my younger RPG playing self, I'd prefer Bio to drop all pretence at making RPGs and concentrate more on Mass Effect style games. Mixing action with story and plenty of polish was genuinely entertaining, whereas DA:O to me was a fail on every level.

News Comments > Real ID Opt Outs
11. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 04:31 Jonny

Yep, opted out of that as soon as I saw this. Plus when I logged onto Battlenet I found I'm eligible for the Cataclysm beta. Wonder how long that's been sitting there?

Cheers Blue.

News Comments > King of Kings 3 Launches
8. Re: King of Kings 3 Launches Sep 28, 2010, 07:11 Jonny

The same goes for every MMO on earth, it is a trap!
Am I missing something about MMOs? I've tried a lot of them and they're all a fucking effort to keep going after a while. I'm playing WoW at the moment because it's got a new expansion coming, but if it wasn't for Cataclysm I'd not have been able to summon up the interest to keep playing, same with Lotro and AoC.

News Comments > World of Darkness Details, Trailer
9. Re: World of Darkness Details, Trailer Sep 25, 2010, 17:35 Jonny

Cutter wrote on Sep 25, 2010, 15:26:
So it should be all about thieves and griefers and people who think playing with spreadsheets are fun? Is that what you're saying? Too bad, I was hoping for a game that would be, well, you know...fun.

Heh, I meant in having an open world economy and a more relaxed attitude to player interaction. When I want a comfortable protected environment I play WoW, when I feel like having to watch my back I play Eve. A WoD version of Eve would be even better, bastardry is practically built into the setting.

News Comments > World of Darkness Details, Trailer
1. Re: World of Darkness Details, Trailer Sep 25, 2010, 13:26 Jonny

I'm quite looking forward to this, especially if they leave the game's rule framework as open as it is in EVE.  

News Comments > Command Conquer 3: The Forgotten
6. Re: Command Conquer 3: The Forgotten Sep 25, 2010, 05:36 Jonny

Now that you mention it I do have vague memories of that. It just seems to me that I never see C&C4 mentioned anywhere now, no sales, mods, not even a mention on a "shittiest game of the decade" list. The whole game seems to have been so utterly mediocre it's ceased to exist.  

News Comments > Command Conquer 3: The Forgotten
4. Re: Command Conquer 3: The Forgotten Sep 24, 2010, 15:03 Jonny

Wolfen wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 10:43:
Heh. Im amused by the title. It seems so fitting to me for this series.

Edit: Not to imply negatives about the mod. Just the CnC series as of late. =)

Whatever happened to C&C 4 anyway? I seem to remember a big uproar about stripping all the mechanics down and then nothing. Seems to have seen the series off with a whimper instead of a bang.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Interview
3. Re: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Interview Sep 24, 2010, 06:22 Jonny

Yeah, Ezio's story held up on it's own. The present day assassin/Templar futury mystic pish was just an annoying tack on.  

News Comments > EVE Online Incursion Expansion in November
9. Re: EVE Online Incursion Expansion in November Sep 22, 2010, 07:40 Jonny

Theo wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 19:25:
Jonny wrote on Sep 21, 2010, 14:44:
Damn, can't afford a subscription at the moment, don't have enough ISK for a plex. I find EVE to be a strange beast, it's a bit slow and I don't find it's PVE interesting, which would normally be a showstopper, but from the first moment I emerged from the starter station and saw a can called "Free gear for new players!" surrounded by wrecks I knew I was home.

as a one off. if you want to play, re sub. i will pay second months plex cost in isk. ccp welcomes you.

Many thanks mate, but why are you offering me free ISK? Standard caution compels me to find out why before accepting anything in EVE.

News Comments > EVE Online Incursion Expansion in November
4. Re: EVE Online Incursion Expansion in November Sep 21, 2010, 14:44 Jonny

Damn, can't afford a subscription at the moment, don't have enough ISK for a plex. I find EVE to be a strange beast, it's a bit slow and I don't find it's PVE interesting, which would normally be a showstopper, but from the first moment I emerged from the starter station and saw a can called "Free gear for new players!" surrounded by wrecks I knew I was home.  

494 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo