Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jon

Real Name Jon   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jonny
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 22, 2009, 07:50
Total Comments 494 (Amateur)
User ID 54712

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II MMOG Mod
1. Re: StarCraft II MMOG Mod Jan 18, 2011, 10:06 Jonny

Would still like to see a World of Starcraft. I'm not sure why with such a popular IP that's current and relevant Blizzard is investing in making an MMO of a totally new IP.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elemental Expansion Detailed
9. Re: Elemental Expansion Detailed Jan 11, 2011, 19:21 Jonny

So has anyone played Elemental yet? Beneath the bugs is the core game any good?  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bios
7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bios Jan 8, 2011, 10:58 Jonny

That's just something every young Star Wars fan goes through growing up. It happened for me when I read an article about the contributions of the cast and crew to the original trilogy, such gems as pointing out that Luke Starkiller isn't a very jedi name, and that Revenge of the Jedi was a silly title for a film. It was then I realised that George Lucas somehow managed, with a lot of help from other people, to cobble a load of cliches together into something genuinely entertaining, yet when left to his own devices he hadn't got the slightest clue about his own universe.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bios
5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bios Jan 8, 2011, 08:14 Jonny

Supreme Chancellor Jan(ar)us is pretty bad too. Given popular perception of two-headed Janus as a god of deceit, what are the chances he's a secret bad 'un?  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch Testing and Hotfixes
4. Re: World of Warcraft Patch Testing and Hotfixes Jan 7, 2011, 13:23 Jonny

While I agree Tol Barad doesn't work very well currently, I think that's mainly because it's far too tailored towards teamwork than can be reasonably expected for a random group. Hordeside on my server is pretty well organised and communicate with each other, so the Alliance have hardly ever taken it off us. The couple of times we've been attacking (a server reset and at the end of the win-trading fiasco) we've taken it off them with no trouble.  

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2011, 19:07 Jonny

Jerykk wrote on Jan 6, 2011, 15:22:
But again, you're the only one who sees those changes. Nothing you do affects anyone else which defeats the point of a multiplayer game.

I'm not sure how you'd even get that into a game, say 30,000 players on a server, you'd need 30,000 individual storylines that affect the world itself so everyone else can see. Pretty sure that would be impossible without procedural generation far, far in advance of anything we've got now.

The only way you'd get close to such a thing now would be games like EVE, mainly sandboxes where player's interaction with each other creates the stories.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jan 6, 2011, 09:13 Jonny

Having recently given WoW a run through I have to say this is very true. I hated how if I lingered in a boss area for even just a few moments to check out the loot he dropped he would respawn behind me. There's also the fact that the world stayed the same no matter what... there was one part where I had all these quests to take back a village from invaders, but even after doing all of it and killing their leader nothing changed, the village was still occupied and everyone stood in the same spot.

Wow is changing that reasonably well in the lastest expansion. They're making heavy use of phasing technology, whereby you get punted into a different phase of the zone you're in based on your actions. An example would be mount hyjal zone, before a certain point it's on fire and swarming with mobs, after a certain questline it's regrown and the mobs are gone.

That said I'm going to try out ToR, mainly because I prefer sci-fi over fantasy, but I doubt they'll peel many other WoW players as many of them play no other games. One of my guild members is a Star Wars fan, I asked him if he was going to defect, he said no because he was used to WoW.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 5, 2010, 09:12 Jonny

I've been amazed at the sheer weaselly cowtowing the UK government has been doing to the US government. Promising to protect US interests in the Gulf War inquiry, protecting the US Diego Garcia base by fucking over the islanders again, all sorts of stuff is coming out.

Yet when the prime minister himself makes a personal request to drop the extradition for the hacker with aspergers, he gets turned down.

These leaks are not only deeply humiliating for the UK as a whole, they demonstrate that these special favours are not reciprocated by the US government.

News Comments > Diablo III Date? New Blizzard Game Revealed?
18. Re: Diablo III Date? New Blizzard Game Revealed? Dec 1, 2010, 13:17 Jonny

There are two World of Warcraft expansions listed, one in Q2 2012 and another in Q4 2013

They're talking about updating Outland and Northrend, because with the updated vanilla content their stories are now out of sync. I'd guess that the next expansion will update them both, boost the level cap to 90 and introduce a new hero class. Then a last one to knock it up to 100.

News Comments > Mass Effect Online?
11. Re: Mass Effect Online? Nov 18, 2010, 12:38 Jonny

*cough* Yeah, note to self: read article before commenting based on comments.

Still, a COD ME shooter sounds pointless. They've never done anything like it before and they want to take on a market with some truly titanic players in it? I'm pretty sure ME fans are likely to ignore a 6 hour SP campaign and COD/MOH fans are going to, well, play COD or MOH for their multiplayer.

How about seeing if you can get the shooter part of ME3 up to dedicated FPS standards before trying to crack that genre?

News Comments > Mass Effect Online?
4. Re: Mass Effect Online? Nov 18, 2010, 11:38 Jonny

Yeah, get TOR out the door first geniuses. Planning a second MMO before your first is even released is moronic.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update
15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 14, 2010, 12:41 Jonny

Jerykk wrote on Nov 14, 2010, 08:28:
Bioware has created a new and completely oxymoronic genre. MMOSPG...massive multiplayer single player game.

This is pretty much my biggest problem with the game. It's essentially a single-player RPG with a monthly fee. Sure, you have a story that's affected by the choices you make... but none of these consequences affect any other players. It completely defeats the point of being an MMO. Hell, from what I've read, you'll even see other players walking around with the same companions as you. Talk about killing the immersion. Bioware should have just skipped this and made a proper KOTOR3.

As long as the monthly fee covers content updates and more to experience than they would ever have shoved into a singleplayer game I'm happy. Unless I can't avoid it I always play solo anyway and otherwise just chat, trade and help other people out.

I've been looking at GW2, but I'm a bit sick of fantasy games. I'd like some sci-fi, and with STO sucking so very badly, and EVE being a ship only game at the moment, TOR is pretty much the only contender.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Nov 13, 2010, 18:44 Jonny

*sigh*

Damn you TOR and the good/shit rollercoaster you put me through. For everything that sounds unutterably crap you provide something that sounds awesome.

I don't want to hope, but the whole ship/crew/crafting thing sounds well fun.

News Comments > The Old Republic Delay?
36. Re: The Old Republic Delay? Nov 7, 2010, 05:46 Jonny

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 7, 2010, 01:55:
I hope for the sake of being placeholder animations that those movements and motions do not stick around. If so, they are the most awkward and rigid animations I have seen in recent memory. Pair that off with what looks like boring PVP and it leaves me scratching my head with who is drinking the kool aid.

They seem to be exactly the same animations that were in Kotor six or seven years ago. I'm hoping that they're placeholders, because despite nearly everything about TOR looking shit, the on-rails space shooter and awkward combat, I'm hoping it turns out good. The crafting system sounds interesting, I'd like having a ship to wander around in, proper objective based PvP could be interesting if done right and I, well, liked KotoR 1&2 and want another one, basically.

News Comments > The Old Republic Delay?
17. Re: The Old Republic Delay? Nov 6, 2010, 20:23 Jonny

Flatline wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 19:27:
Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 16:28:
Yeah, I suppose they're debating on whether to blow another 100 mill on advertising knowing that it'll just be throwing good money after bad. Yeah, and what good are lightsabers if you can't 1 shot/slice things off with it? Jedi Wizard? LOL! This thing just keeps getting worse all the time. Next stop...Epic-Failtown.

Playing a very brief Devil's Advocate for a moment, a Jedi who eschewed the lightsaber isn't exactly out of place in Star Wars. Yoda himself in the original trilogy more or less thought that lightsabers were irrelevant to a Jedi. Then Lucas raped that concept by turning Yoda into a green beach ball with a lightsaber. Oh well.

I don't think he's complaining about the concept, more about the name. Jedi Wizard is one of the daftest ideas for a class name I've ever heard, all of the other suggestions are miles better and the fact that they need to throw it to a poll to see if it's a stupid name doesn't inspire confidence in their creative team.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Digital Presales
18. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Digital Presales Oct 29, 2010, 05:48 Jonny

CannibalBob wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 20:16:
Can someone tell me how this Cataclysm preorder costs? I can't log into Battle.net to see (it appears to be too busy?) Also, Blizzard sneakily doesn't mention the cost anywhere out in the open (as if they are ashamed of it).

29.99 in the UK, that's 5 more than retail. Seeing as the servers will be a bloody nightmare for a day or two after release I'm content to wait for the postman to deliver mine.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com
14. Re: Neverwinter Nights on GOG.com Oct 27, 2010, 16:03 Jonny

The storyline, centered around finding the cure to a dreadful plague, is fantastic, as befits the setting. You will meet countless memorable characters and engage in hours of superbly written dialog. The main campaign alone is vast enough to keep you hooked and entertained for weeks,

Unless I'm missing some cunning sarcasm here, that's utter and complete bollocks. I loved NWN for it's expansions and community content, the campaign was possibly the worst I've ever encountered in any game ever. I'm pretty sure anybody buying it for a fantastic storyline or countless memorable characters is never going to trust a GoG blurb ever again.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2010, 09:32 Jonny

PropheT wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 09:14:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 21, 2010, 00:14:
A whole article about sp bans and then oh-yeah-by-the-way he did hack online too

Well, the AI games he played were online ones too. I have trouble believing that he knows how to download and use a trainer to cheat but can't tell the difference between the single player vs. AI and the online mode...you click Single Player on the main screen to play vs. AI offline, and you click Multiplayer to play the way he did. I don't know, maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but to me that would suggest that I'm using cheats in multiplayer.

A quick investigate at Cheathappens.com reveals that if you've got the trainer loaded, even if you're not using it, it still alters the .exe and can trip Blizzard's anti-cheat detection. It's more than feasible he either forgot about it after a single player session or didn't realise it would be detected even if he didn't use it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2010, 07:31 Jonny

I did enjoy reading the comments in the article calling him an idiot for using a trainer when SC2 has cheat codes, despite this perfectly clear paragraph:

Blizzard includes built-in cheats with StarCraft II, but players had not yet discovered them before gm0ney downloaded the Cheat Happens trainer.

News Comments > X: Terran Conflict Patches
13. Re: X: Terran Conflict Patches Oct 10, 2010, 10:09 Jonny

I love the X games, but that superbox has to be the single biggest waste of money I've ever seen on Steam. The X stories aren't spectacular, and the series itself is evolutionary rather than revolutionary between titles. There is literally no need at all to have X2 and Reunion if you're buying Terran Conflict.

494 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo