Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 496 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2011, 14:42 briktal

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 14:02:
One massive point he overlooks is that all these hotfixes and constant changes aren't just about balance - because it will never be achieved - but keeping people on their toes and grinding. Got the gear for the spec of the month? Oh dead, it's changed now, time to go out and grind new gear for a new spec. It's why I could never be bothered with all the minutia.

Though they've been doing more and more stuff to make the gear more and more flexible so that you shouldn't need to change anything except possibly weapons when changing specs (within the same role of course).

There are too many balance hotfixes though. The bug fixes mostly make sense, but the pure balance changes are a pain. Aside from playstyle changes, it can just cause general confusion. There's no real notification that anything changed and there are limits to what changes the client can even see without a patch. The second problem is that they have sometimes put in a hotfix that changes a mechanic just as a temporary change until a regular patch changes the mechanic another way. Oh and then they'll change it back two days later.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bulletstorm Released, DLC Plans
25. Re: Bulletstorm Released, DLC Plans Feb 22, 2011, 16:31 briktal

wolve wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 15:37:
Can't say I'm surprised at all by details of the PC version. Sounds like the typical issues with a PC port of console game. I ordered the X360 version and UPS should be delivering my copy later today.

The DLC announcement pisses me off too. Whatever happened to EA releasing day 1 DLC for "free" with new games (a la ME2)? That's what they should have done here. Oh well, I'm passing on the DLC unless it's on sale for cheap and I end up loving the game.

They did that too.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo
16. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 22, 2011, 14:46 briktal

entr0py wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 14:39:
Fion wrote on Feb 22, 2011, 12:56:
I personally thought DA:O was their best game since Baldur's Gate 1/2 and even as good as those two. So I don't know if I'll enjoy it or not. I'm not as much a fan of 'action rpgs' which seem to be everywhere these days as I am a traditional rpg fan. So we'll see.

Fortunately it's not at all an action RPG. Mostly that impression was just an overreaction by people watching early console footage and making broad assumptions.

The combat is largely the same as the last game. A recent developer livecast gave a really good picture of this, In a difficult battle he was quickly switching between party members to use abilities, repositions them, and keep them from dying with health potions. It looked fairly difficult, and was so fast paced that he had to do a lot of pausing to issue commands. Then you learn it was early in the game and on normal difficulty.

http://greywardens.com/2011/02/dragon-age-2-live-dev-chat-recap-finished/

Yeah, I watched that and it really looked just like how you'd play Origins, except for the zoomed out view. The only real differences seemed like the UI and art style. I started the download at lunch, no idea if it'll finish or still be alive by the time I get home though. I really need to go and finish Awakening soon.

News Comments > The Darkness II Announced
7. Re: The Darkness II Announced Feb 8, 2011, 11:34 briktal

nin wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 10:33:
I could have sworn there was a Games For Windows release of it, but everything I look up now says otherwise...

A while back, I had thought the same thing. I wonder it there was a comment somewhere or a similar game that caused it.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2011, 10:22 briktal

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 13:16:
Spot on, Joe and well said. If the automotive industry was anything like the game industry it would have gone under long ago. Consumers are entitled to a reasonable expectation that a product will perform as intended. So when we consistently run into shoddy, overpriced products that occur becuase of shoddy developers and publishers, yes, we tend to get somehwat 'miffed'. It's the only industry in the world that seems it can consistently get away with that. That needs to change and has for a long time now.

It's not just the games industry, but software in general.

News Comments > PC BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled
18. Re: PC BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled Feb 3, 2011, 15:21 briktal

Elessar wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 15:02:
Over the past few weeks I've seen devs get raked over the coals here over the lack of PC demos. But a dev outright cancels a game and we see "Welp, that's a shame." Too funny.

It's probably because they've been in limbo so long, and BF3 probably isn't that far away http://twitter.com/locust9/status/33204033913102336 that a lot of people probably gave up on them already.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo This Month
51. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 3, 2011, 10:09 briktal

Jerykk wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 23:58:
3, did you even play Dragon Age: Origins?

Obviously. I played through DAO (unpatched) as a rogue. It was impossible to beat the game without making heavy use of tactics. The later patches nerfed a lot of things and made the game significantly easier, so it may have been possible to play through in real-time post-patch. I imagine playing as a mage would have made the game easier too. In any case, DAO was clearly designed to be played from the tactical view, otherwise it would have been a much easier game to begin with.

1 is kinda lame but because your character is a human, point 2 is useless, as the only origins for humans were Noble and Mage, so it was entirely based on your class. Admittedly, the Dragon Age 2 tutorial section will likely not be as different between mage and non-mage.

Each race had two origin stories in DAO. I think the elves may have had three. In any case, choices are never pointless in an RPG. The whole point of an RPG is to play the role of your choosing. Being able to choose your character's origin helps you define your role.

Maybe I didn't play on Super-Expert mode but I didn't have too much trouble playing semi-real time with my rogue. I paused at the start of combat to see what I was up against, tended to pause after each kill early in a big fight to help find the next priority target, and I tended to pause when switching characters because I'm just plain bad at multitasking like that. But aside from that, I stood behind an enemy and pressed buttons like it was WoW or something.

But my point about the origins was just a technical one. I meant that the origin you get as a human was entirely determined by your class as all human warriors/rogues were Nobles and all human mages were Mages. Dwarf and Elf warrior/rogues had a choice of origin, but not humans. Since you can only play as a human in Dragon Age 2, you have the same number of origin choices for a given class as you had in Dragon Age: Origins.

31. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 15:54 briktal

Jerykk wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 15:16:
I don't think changing the art direction and...making your characters attack a little faster is dumbing down. Oh maybe they took out that one camera angle, but that's just something annoying.

List of dumbed down things in DA2:

1) You no longer get to choose your race.
2) You no longer get to choose your origin.
3) Combat is being designed to play in real-time, negating the need for tactics or strategy.
4) Dialogue tree has been replaced with dialogue wheel, complete with paraphrased dialogue options and icons showing the tone of each response. This removes the need for reading comprehension or even basic literacy, as players can just refer to the icons when picking a response.
5) Apparently the party banter (one of the best parts of DAO) is gone and replaced with a limited, context-sensitive system ala ME2.

5 isn't dumbing down, just removing a cool feature.

4...maybe

3, did you even play Dragon Age: Origins?

1 is kinda lame but because your character is a human, point 2 is useless, as the only origins for humans were Noble and Mage, so it was entirely based on your class. Admittedly, the Dragon Age 2 tutorial section will likely not be as different between mage and non-mage.

24. Re: Dragon Age II Demo This Month Feb 2, 2011, 13:59 briktal

Jerykk wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 12:16:
Indeed. As long as they don't go backwards or dumb down the game any more than the first, I'll be happy.

I take it you haven't actually read anything about DA2 yet..?

I don't think changing the art direction and...making your characters attack a little faster is dumbing down. Oh maybe they took out that one camera angle, but that's just something annoying.

News Comments > Homefront PC Details
25. Re: OT Batttlefield Jan 28, 2011, 20:01 briktal

Verno wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 17:35:
BurntSoul wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 16:45:
It's great that they have all these things. It's a shame however, that we all are getting exited about it. For the most part, these PC centric 'bonuses' were once the standard.

In any event, Kudos to KAOS Studios for bringing back - the old school.

Yeah I was blown away by what a good port Monday Night Combat was because it had dedicated servers and all that. Then I realized holy shit, that was the fucking defacto release state just three years ago, it was sacrilege not to include those things.

Not only that, but the game has been slightly rebalanced for PC too, due to the advantages of a mouse vs a thumbstick for aiming.

News Comments > Homefront PC Details
6. Re: No THQ DRM for PC Homefront Jan 28, 2011, 15:36 briktal

baltar wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 15:33:
I was confused about this too, I dont remember THQ ever having copy protection in their game other than steamworks?

Granted, the only games I have played from that company was titan quest, frontlines and both dawn of war with its many addons..

Are we confusing this with Ubisoft's CIC DRM?

Yeah I'm confused too. They are one of the publishers doing the online pass thing with new copies on consoles, but being on steam takes care of that.

News Comments > No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
32. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 13:31 briktal

spindoctor wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 12:13:
Trainwreck wrote on Jan 18, 2011, 11:08:
Why does the game look like 2150 if it's only supposed to be 2027?

Are you from the future? How the fuck did you decide that the art direction looks like 2150 instead of 2027?

Is there nothing you people will not complain about?

It's a kinda common issue with sci-fi prequels released years after the originals where advances in the way the real world looks and advances in visual effects (either for movies or in games) sorta pushes you to make the sci-fi world look more advanced in the prequel than in did in the original.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Changes and Plans
5. Re: World of Warcraft Changes and Plans Dec 28, 2010, 15:59 briktal

Fion wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 13:50:
Nerfing ferals again Why is it the only MMOG company who cant find balance for their classes is Blizzard? Every other MMOG the balance settles after the first year or two with slight balance changes after an xpack. But not blizzard, they have yet to balance the game six years on now and when some classes numbers are just a touch high they nerf the living daylights out of it.

Because every year or two they make massive changes and have to rebalance things.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2010, 13:24 briktal

nin wrote on Dec 28, 2010, 12:07:
The biggest and most important difference is GW2ís Marketplace supports postings from both buyers and sellers. You might put your sword up for sale, then offer 100 gold for the specific axe youíre looking for without having to find any specific seller.

Some of us in the guild I'm in were just saying WOW needs something like that, the other day. Like a contract based system, where I say I need X numbers of stacks of Y, and will pay Z, and then someone else can fulfill the contract.

Placing orders to buy stuff is one of the most important parts of EVE.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Dec 22, 2010, 09:24 briktal

ViRGE wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 16:47:
I'd have to disagree here. The MPAA system is quite effective. Theaters that have problems letting minors in to R-rated movies quickly get their acts together, while my local GameStop is more than happy to sell M games to minors even though corporate policy is that they shouldn't.

In 2008 and 2009, the FTC found 80% of retailers stopped kids under 17 from buying M-rated games vs 65% and 72% for theaters turning away kids under 17 from R-rated movies, and it was 53% and 46% for retailers stopping them from buying R-rated DVDs. Granted, they didn't do as well in the first half of the decade, but they have improved. FTC press release

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Dec 21, 2010, 14:14 briktal

ViRGE wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 13:45:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 12:47:
Parents can already control what kids watch. No laws needed.
Not if their kids can do a run-around on them and just buy whatever they want from the store, which is Yee's point. He's an ass most of the time, but there are some games that shouldn't be sold directly to minors, leaving such purchasing decisions to the parents. Yee wants it to be "violent video games" which I think is going too far because it gets government in to regulating games; it should just be M/AO games.

HumanTarget wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 13:23:
Uh, how? If you've preemptively removed the game from the market there's no way for a parent to decide to/not to allow their child to experience it.
As far as I know none of Yee's proposed bills have required games be removed from the shelves. They're basically equivalent to most states' liquor control laws, which prohibit sales to minors and require stores to card purchasers who may be underage. Blue Laws aside, this doesn't stop me from getting beer, nor would I expect it to stop me from getting a copy of Halo.

However, we feel that games should be treated like movies and music instead of like alcohol and tobacco.

News Comments > Minecraft Enters Beta
24. Re: Minecraft Enters Beta Dec 21, 2010, 10:33 briktal

justice7 wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 10:17:
So you lot are trying to tell me, that it's better to release an unfinished game and call it finished, than to sell you something and call it beta? At least they're being up front about it.

With these indie sandbox games (Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Mount and Blade back in the day), what is "finished?"

News Comments > Evening Previews
7. Re: Evening Previews Dec 21, 2010, 09:55 briktal

It sounds like the Dragon Age 2 changes are:

--Voiced main character: I generally like that, especially when everyone else talks. It was also annoying how your character just stood around with a dumb look on their face in Dragon Age.

--Faster combat: I don't know, it kinda sounds like combat is just a bit faster, as far as movement and attack speed are concerned. They seem to be adding a bit more of a ME2 style status effect combo system as well. I ended up playing most of Dragon Age like an MMO, with occasional pausing whenever I needed to have the rest of my party do things, so I don't know how much of a difference there'd be.

--Dialogue wheel: I like the idea of it, a system that seems to be a mix of Alpha Protocol (without the time limit stuff) and Mass Effect, but I still prefer seeing the full line your character would say.

--New UI/Art: I don't know, I'm scared of change.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Dec 20, 2010, 17:04 briktal

Prez wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 16:43:
A pretty compelling argument that the Op Ed piece makes to be sure, but the "slowly killing gaming" headline is silly, sensationalist fluff.

The one problem with the article is that it didn't really acknowledge replacing "that health kit" with "cover" in something like "I would much rather know that after I get shot a couple of times, Iíve either got pull off a massive win and cap the last two guys without dying or make a dash for that health kit." Realistically, I don't think it matters too much in a normal single player game or even in a standard deathmatchy multiplayer fps with no health pickups. However, regenerating health would obviously take out the whole dynamic health pickups can add to a game.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
19. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 20, 2010, 16:43 briktal

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2010, 16:05:
Hmmm, I may pick up the Dragon Age Ultimate pack, just to complete my DLC collection. It's about as much in the pack as it would cost me to buy the remaining ones separately.

Anyone know that if you buy a game in a pack that you already own, if you bascially get a key to give away to someone? I don't need two copies of Dragon Age, may give one to a buddy or something. I'm curious how that works.

Creston

It depends on the game, and possibly the bundle. It might tell you if you go to buy it, but I'm not sure.

496 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo