Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 496 (Amateur)
User ID 54674

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age II Web Series Begins
16. Re: Dragon Age II Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 11:27 briktal

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 08:08:
But unlike joss whedon she has puppy eyes, nobody can resist ze puppy eyes!

And she's a really good driver.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Interview
53. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 10:10 briktal

Verno wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 09:08:
I've managed to overcome most of the technical problems and play the game for a bit last night. I like the gunplay and the enemy AI but the game feels like a cardboard mashup of Borderlands and Fallout. There is simply no life to the world or characters really. Story has never been an id strong suit but in this case it's really glaring because there is a huge potential for a better experience here.

I did really enjoy enemy AI that presents an actual challenge though. They get shot, react realistically, duck/dive/hide behind objects and try to bait you into traps. That and the FPS play itself is quite fun, the wingblades are a really fun tool especially.

It sounds like id tried to create this big, open, story driven game but had to scale some things back and/or couldn't pull it off. How much people like the game is likely to be based on how much they find the failed story and setting take away from the art and shooting gameplay.

News Comments > Payday: The Heist Delayed
6. Re: Payday: The Heist Delayed Oct 4, 2011, 10:13 briktal

Dirwulf wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 20:57:
Its better to delay than ship a buggy mess. Are you listening EA?

Delays for quality are fine but delays that come out a day before the original release date are worrying.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Bach on Bad Company 2
10. Re: Quoteworthy - Bach on Bad Company 2 Sep 30, 2011, 08:53 briktal

Lobster wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 08:48:
Is that why he made Bad Company 2: CoD Edition and called it BF3?

What makes BF3 more "Call of Duty" than BC2?

News Comments > On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations
17. Re: On Football Manager 2012 Steam Activations Sep 28, 2011, 14:27 briktal

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:16:
It would have been wiser to promote what the Steam platform brings to the gaming experience, rather than mentioning piracy. For instance, they could have touted the ability to push out updates to the season roster via the Steam update service, earn achievements (like they did), utilise the matchmaking service for online play and the ability to store progress / saved games online through Steam Cloud.

Always, always, always promote the positives. Never engage in negative 'piracy' talk. Afterall, preventing piracy isn't a positive for the paying consumer. Personally I love Steam but I accept that it has its flaws and can understand why people would object. Therefore it's simply not tactful to say "if the people that played our games weren't stinky pirates we wouldn't be forced to use Steam".

One problem is that this is the kind of game where you might not want to be running the latest update.

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles
20. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles Sep 23, 2011, 16:58 briktal

coldcut wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 16:09:
I was kinda scared of the first boss fight because I read about it beforehand. And indeed, it ended my five hours or so gaming session after about 20-30 tries and dying very fast in frustratrion.

But the boss fights are ridiculously easy. With typhoon, they are even more easy. There's just some things you need to know about each boss. All bosses can be stunned with the stun gun, which helps a lot.

For the first boss, you stun him and then run around throwing every barrel at your disposal at him, and he will go down.
The second boss gets stunned and just gunned down or killed with the help of the generators at the side. Also, this is pretty much the only occasion where the Track'n'mark aug is useful, because you know exactly where she is when she is stealthed. She can easily go down in a few seconds.
The last boss requires some more shooting and hiding behind columns. But he also can be killed in a few seconds with a takedown if you time it right (you need to takedown him right after he jumps over the wall and I think it must be while he is in midair or he will counter... it's on YouTube somewhere

I didn't even move or take damage while fighting the third boss.

News Comments > On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles
6. Re: On Deus Ex: Human Revolution DLC and Boss Battles Sep 23, 2011, 14:09 briktal

The playtesters internally gave us a lot of good feedback for the game, and on the bosses they felt that the fights were entertaining and making you use what you had learned.

The problem is, if you went stealth/non-lethal, "what you had learned" was almost completely useless against the bosses. I still need to finish up the game but so far in this playthrough I've fired more shots in the boss fights than in the rest of the game, and the vast majority of those were for sidequests.

News Comments > Why No Commander in Battlefield 3
31. Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 23, 2011, 09:47 briktal

Teddy wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 20:55:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 20:52:
I will be amazed if anyone is actually upset about this.

Leave the commandeering to Natural Selection.

I take it you haven't seen the EA Battlefield 3 forums. Apparently, if there's no commander mode or 6 man squads, it's not a "true" battlefield game. They ranted for quite a while when it was first announced that it wasn't in.

This is why is can be a little hard to take all of the anger at "<franchise> turned into FPS" stuff seriously.

The problem with the commander is that in order for it to be a fun, powerful role, it needs to be an important factor in the outcome of a round. But as it becomes more and more important it becomes easier for that one person to end up ruining the round for the other 20-30 people on the team.

News Comments > Diablo III DRM Problems
52. Re: Diablo III DRM Problems Sep 22, 2011, 19:16 briktal

For DICE's sake, I hope Battlefield 4 (not 3) still has Rush maps.  

News Comments > New XCOM "Adheres to the Tenets" of X-COM (By Changing Everything)
8. Re: New XCOM "Adheres to the Tenets" of X-COM (By Changing Everything) Sep 22, 2011, 14:22 briktal

We really wanted you to feel like what it was like to be one of the squadies in the original game

Cannon-fodder who is very likely to die opening the UFO door?

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2011, 16:53 briktal

I don't think X-Com has to stay turn-based, but it probably should've stuck with a modern/near-future, "normal" aliens setting.

X-Com, though, is one of those games that's really hard to make a good sequel for. So much of the game is tied up with the plot and setting that you either need to make up some reason why the next game "resets" things or you lose the feel. You start out with one base, a handful of random troops and some slightly ineffective modern weapons. Then as you fight the growing alien menace, you expand and start improving your arsenal with captured alien technology.

News Comments > Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter
28. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 23:04 briktal

Annex wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:47:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:02:
That would sell about 200k copies.

Let some indie do that. It doesn't need to be Syndicate - let them create a new world with new twists in plot, setting and gameplay.

Fine so why not call this FPS game something other than Syndicate and have them hire a studio that actually wants to make a true sequel?

Because they aren't jaded gamers wishing everything was like it was back when they were younger and gaming wasn't so mainstream. Maybe they, like lots of people probably have, thought "oh man wouldn't a Syndicate FPS be cool?"

25. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:44 briktal

beigemore wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:31:
How is it that every developer that takes on an old IP is always a "big fan" of the original? I seriously doubt that. Otherwise they'd have issues with changing the genre, as well.

Have you seen the kinds of art and stories fans of other IPs create?

21. Re: Why the Syndicate Remake is a First-Person Shooter Sep 12, 2011, 22:16 briktal

Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:12:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 22:02:

That would sell about 200k copies.

That, right there, is about all you needed to say.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. If they remade the original with expanded missions, improved AI, more research options, multiple objective and multiple outcome scenarios, added more tactical options and a destructible environment...it would be a blast! For about 200k - 300k people including the ones who remember and love the original Syndicate(like me).

The extra brain required to play and master something like that would chase away your console audience in a flash. And lets face facts, the console is where most big budget games are aimed. Dumbing down for console is where publishers and developers believe the monetary sweet spot is. Do the math...

Dude! You're gettin' a Dell FPS!

I don't know, a bunch of those fans of the old game would be upset because the same strategies or weapons aren't as effective or because they changed the color of the UI or something.

News Comments > Syndicate FPS Confirmed for Next year
35. Re: Syndicate FPS Confirmed for Next year Sep 12, 2011, 12:39 briktal

Why does a "classic" gaming IP have to be limited to only one genre? There are Star Wars space sims, shooters/action games, strategy games and even a racing game that isn't that bad. I haven't heard a ton of people crying out that WH40k Space Marine isn't a strategy game. These sorts of things can be fine if a) the game itself doesn't suck b) they stick with the setting and feel of the originals. Of course, there's no guarantee either of those things will happen.  

News Comments > Syndicate FPS Confirmed for Next year
10. Re: Syndicate FPS Confirmed for Next year Sep 12, 2011, 10:27 briktal

InBlack wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 10:24:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 10:10:
InBlack wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 09:50:
Note the specific mention of the pivotal "American market". WTF? Some more irrational dumbing down for the Average Joe America?

Is this a serious post?
The game takes place in America.

I swear I do not understand half of what some people here get their underwear wadded up over. I think some of you are variations of SmarterChild designed specifically to make me nuts, or of late make Jerykk nuts.

Did you play the original game Beamer?

Or better yet, do you live in the real world?

If the answer is yes to either one of these questions you would get my point.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha
17. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 14:41 briktal

Respen wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:05:
Unless the changes involve an in game server browser instead of the god aweful web based one and preferably steam support I'm not interested. It's sad that bad decisions and politics have ruined this game for me, but they have.

I thought the web server browser was generally considered better than any in-game server browser DICE had ever made. I don't actually know because I only used the quick join button.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks
2. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks Aug 29, 2011, 15:10 briktal

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 15:06:
This should be interesting. CoD using Steamworks, BF3 using Origin. Both are large names but...

...MW2 and Black Ops also used Steamworks? Some people seem to be treating this as a big new development, especially with Steam vs Origin but it's more of an expected confirmation than anything.

News Comments > RIFT Six Month Anniversary Celebration Begins
5. Re: RIFT Six Month Anniversary Celebration Begins Aug 25, 2011, 15:33 briktal

zincthallinide wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 13:48:
It's $14.95/month for the monthly plan, the larger plans are slightly less but I don't think any are as low as $10..

At any rate, I find Rift fun in spurts which for a MMOG makes it unique for me.. I mostly enjoy it for the PvP, though.. Warriors are fun..

I keep canceling my subscription, then resubbing, then getting burnt out again, etc. It's just not quite worth it at $15 a month for me. At $10 a month it might be.. It's one of those games I want to play every couple of weeks or so

It is the best MMOG I've played overall thus far. WoW has more content but after playing Rift it just feels too easy

Checking the site it looks like they have a 12 month plan for $10/mo. I'm not sure if they always had this plan though, as people who bought the game on release could get a 3 or 6 month plan for the cost per month of the current 6/12 month plans.

News Comments > Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons
26. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:34 briktal

It sounds more to me like Square Enix is saying they screwed up.  

496 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo