Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kyle Smith

Real Name Kyle Smith   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname briktal
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 6, 2009, 18:41
Total Comments 495 (Amateur)
User ID 54674
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching
7. Re: SWTOR Beta Patch, More on Ability Delay Patching Jan 7, 2012, 19:04 briktal
The main problem is that unlike most MMOs, ability usage depends on the animations. If you swing your sword at someone, they don't take damage until the sword hits them, if you shoot at someone, they don't take damage until you set your gun, fire and have the blaster bolt hit them. It is more of an issue in PvP. I have a couple channeled abilities, and my character doesn't even start shooting until a second into them. That's extra time for the enemy to move away or get a heal or interrupt you before you get your shot in.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Team 6 versus Eurogamer
11. Re: Team 6 versus Eurogamer Jan 6, 2012, 12:12 briktal
Prez wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 12:04:
Like another person said, it seems pithy to give a game that actually runs a '1'. That seems more like the reviewer has a particular axe to grind.

This, as I've said before, is one of the factors I think is partially to blame for review score inflation.
News Comments > Syndicate Co-op Trailer
14. Re: Syndicate Co-op Trailer Jan 4, 2012, 10:09 briktal
ibm wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 08:57:
Another fps which pretends to have strategy elements. 10 a penny these days, next.

Well it's the FPS version of an old 2D action game which pretends to have strategy elements, so it seems like it on the right track.
News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
69. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 4, 2012, 09:02 briktal
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 17:18:
I think something alot of people who either didn't spend time on the old Bioboards or BW social site fail to realize is Bioware has been moving in this direction long before the EA buy out.

It's easy to blame EA as the big bad evil huge publisher but really it's been obvious to me for about the past 5 years or so that BW hasn't wanted to make RPG's for a long time now. They want to make the same cinematic story with minor setting changes (ME, DA, Kotor/Tor) with illusion of player choice (some titles more obvious than others at the lack of said player choice, DA2 comes instantly to mind) blow a wad on marketing and hype and expect to sell 5 million copies every game.

I mean does anyone really wonder why some of their oldest employee's have been jumping ship over the last few years, while the ones who remain, The Gaiders or Priestlys just become more and more snarky towards their very own fanbase? Seriously?

Kinda related to that, the last two games they released before EA (three if you also count Mass Effect since I think that sort of decision would've been made before EA bought them) were released on console first, with Jade Empire not getting a PC version for a couple years.

Also I guess most of the discussion of these bans/the announcement of them (though the previous article mentions it) hasn't been very clear that apparently the reason for the bans is that players, either through alts, friends, or agreements with players on the other faction, were constantly flipping a world pvp zone, which causes the chests to respawn.
News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 13:47 briktal
Matshock wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 13:29:
Add this to my list of reasons not to get into MMOs.

The gold farming bans I understand, but "sneaking" into a "high-level" area to loot items put in place by the devs? That's a decades-old RPG mechanic. I did that in Phasntasy Star I.

Thankfully PSI didn't have power-stupid online mods.

What I was wondering with that is how is it any different having a low level character sneak in and do it compared to just having an appropriately leveled character looting the same chests. Also, I don't like things that are balanced only around the thought that nobody is crazy/bored/etc enough to do certain things a lot. Especially an MMO.
News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2011, 08:51 briktal
Jerykk wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 08:20:
Overall, the "originality" meme that keeps popping up in game journalism is a bit of a red herring. There will never be another 100% original game made, just as there will never be a completely original song written. It's not that originality is dead; it's just that the limitaions of the art form and the human senses prevent further innovation, unless someone discovers another note in the octave or a 6th sense that everyone has access to. Someone looking for originality needs to look closer at the minutia and details.

I agree that people need to pay attention to the details when deciding whether or not a game is original. That said, some games are so blatantly unoriginal that it can be difficult to read between the lines. The Call of Duty games, for example. Or military shooters in general. When it comes to gameplay, there are definitely differences between Call of Duty and Battlefield, for example. However, it doesn't change the fact that the games have similar (or in many cases, exactly the same) weapons, enemies, settings, storylines, factions, themes, vehicles, etc. Part of the issue is that these games are inspired by reality and as such, draw from the same pool of reference. The other issue is that military shooters (CoD in particular) sell so well that most of them just stick to the same exact formula. There's a lot of unique gameplay that can be done in the military shooter genre, whether it be the open-world, simulation-based gameplay of the ArmA series or the potentially interesting moral choices of the upcoming SpecOps game. However, most publishers will just continue to copy CoD because it's a proven seller.

The market is dominated by first-person shooters and the first-person shooter market is dominated by CoD-alikes. If I see another completely linear, completely scripted, pseudo-realistic military shooter with regenerating health and completely linear and scripted sniping, rail and stealth segments, it'll be too soon. Unfortunately, we're guaranteed to see at least one more in 2012 and most likely again each year after that.

Many games are only "unique" because they are too expensive/complicated to make or too niche to sell well enough to make money for a AAA studio. I mean, you can say now "I wish someone would make a space sim" but after 5 years of yearly big publisher releases, they'd get reactions like modern war games do.
News Comments > The Old Republic Stats
26. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 15:24 briktal
Wallshadows wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 13:27:
ToR is very much like a lot of MMOs in their infancy. The grinding content is there but there is a little left to be desired when it comes to end game. Even WoW was in a state such as this when it released; in fact, it didn't even have battlegrounds for nearly six months after release and look how far that has come over time.

A lot of WoW's success was from being a more casual, friendlier MMO compared to something like Everquest. The problem with post-WoW MMOs is that WoW has continued to become more casual/friendlier (in general) as time goes on. What ends up happening is that the next "WoW-killer" ends up launching without features WoW players have been used to for months or more.
News Comments > The Old Republic Stats
7. Re: The Old Republic Stats Dec 27, 2011, 13:20 briktal
wtf_man wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 13:06:
JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 27, 2011, 12:58:
This info is completely irrelevant.

They obviously don't want to post sales numbers... and they can't really post subscription numbers until the included 30 days is up. And unless the subscription numbers are really huge (and growing per month like WoW did), they probably won't post those either.

They did their "over 1 million players!" release last week.
News Comments > On The Old Republic Queues
26. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 10:04 briktal
Verno wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 09:47:
Hang on, hang on. You cant use your free time that you got with the game, until you SUBSCRIBE??? Oh this is getting richer by the minute!

Way to goooo EA!!!!!

I mean, sure that's stupid because they're obviously targeting the crowd who will forget to cancel their sub but it's not like it's a huge deal. Your credit card has pretty absurd protection and you can always cancel or even charge it back if they conveniently forget to cancel when you request it.

The real issue is that adding the payment information is a separate task rather than part of creating the account/registering the code, and I don't think there is a lot of warning about it. So it's pretty easy to get the game, go to the site, put in your code, then go off to try and play the game. I think most of the "wtf I have to put in my credit card info to play??" stuff comes from the fact that it doesn't prompt you for it when you add the code in the first place. Having to go back to the site to do that makes it seem different.
News Comments > On SWTOR Queues
43. Re: On SWTOR Queues Dec 19, 2011, 14:21 briktal
eunichron wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:12:
Server queues? Welcome to every MMO launch ever. This is no surprise at all.

I'm a level 32 Sith Juggernaut now, and enjoying the game immensely. The story just keeps getting better, and the flashpoints are a lot of fun. Have yet to try warzones, but being on a PvP server I've already encountered some world PvP, and that was fun as well.

Of course, I think, the biggest problem the game will have is longevity vs. WoW. The leveling process is great, but it is going by quickly. They're going to need a plan to keep people hooked at max level if they want to compete against the WoW juggernaut that has 7 years worth of content. Though I've already seen conversations just in general chat of people that have chosen SW:TOR over Mists of Pandaria, so combined with GW2 I think this might be the deathknell for WoW.

It's easy to say you have chosen SWTOR over Mists of Pandaria when TOR just came out and Mists is at least 6 months away. It might be a little different when Mists has just come out and TOR is 6+ months old.

I do worry about content for TOR though. I mean, it's more or less WoW but with more work involved (conversations/voice acting, class specific quests).
37. Re: On SWOTR Queues Dec 19, 2011, 13:22 briktal
entr0py wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 12:10:
Nin is right, they constantly add new servers, that's not the problem.

But there's a catch 22. If they do cap new account creation on a server (especially before official launch) it will cause massive rage among guildmates who want to play with their friends. If they don't cap new accounts, people will keep piling into the highest population original servers and cause long queues. Though so far my longest queue was 45 minutes at peak, compared to 6 hours on RIFT.

But in the beta it seemed that every world could be instanced on the same server several times over. My question is why they can't just instance everything as much as needed, and get rid of server population caps all together.

I think they attempted to manage the guild issue with the pre-release guild system. You could create a guild and have people join it and even set friendly and enemy guilds. A day or two before the early access started, they did some matchmaking stuff (I guess) and assigned those guilds a server. Then when you created a character on your guild's server, you automatically received an invite. That, and they probably hoped that people who wanted to play together had decided on it some time back and got an early preorder.

Instancing could work, but it would come at the expense of "server community" and (I'd imagine) bring some potential data-related performance issues. It could possibly cause issues with the economy as well, due to the volumes involved.
16. Re: On SWOTR Queues Dec 19, 2011, 10:50 briktal
InBlack wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 10:43:
So once some of you manage to get into the game, is it any good?

From what Ive seen of it, it looks like a LITE version of KOTOR with some multiplayer sort of tacked on. Does it feature any ship to ship combat?

No, but it does have some Star Fox style space combat missions you can do.
13. Re: On SWOTR Queues Dec 19, 2011, 10:43 briktal
Zuckuss wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 10:33:
I hate how it disconnects you for being idle. If I am going to pay $15 a month to play, it should allow me to be connected 24/7. Maybe they should develop a pay scale where you pay to play by the hour?

Isn't that how MMOs work in Asia?
News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Trailer
8. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer Dec 14, 2011, 08:30 briktal
wonkawonka wrote on Dec 14, 2011, 05:51:
As long as one considers the ME games as action adventures, they're awesome.
Sure there are some RPG elements that modify the way you play the adventure, but in the end it's action-adventure. Not hard core RPG, not tactical RPG (Dragon Age Origins), not FPS.

To me ME games are like Unchartered without wall climbing and with RPG elements.

It's The Witcher 2 but with guns.
News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG?
23. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 13:45 briktal
xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 12:04:
Matshock wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 11:56:
The PC Portal 2 ARG was the biggest waste of spacetime/money

That is where you started to lose me.

The Portal 2 ARG was fine up until the "play these games a lot to maybe speed up the release" part.
News Comments > Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit
2. Re: Namco Bandai Wins Witcher 2 Lawsuit Dec 9, 2011, 11:27 briktal
Optional nickname wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 11:12:
I like that such news articles exist, so I can add more publishers to my BAN LIST, now Namco being another.

Long live CD Projekt Red, Poland,

Why would this be a reason to add Namco to your publisher ban list?
News Comments > EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree
22. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 09:12 briktal
CythrawL wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 21:43:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 19:45:
The C&C series would be in a much better spot if EA hadn't shoved one out the door every year.

In fact I will go one further.. its been shit since they (EA) dissolved Westwood Studios..

Bioware will go the same way, mark my words..

I don't know if Bioware would be EA's fault. I mean, they started making console first RPGs well before they were bought by EA.
News Comments > Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games
10. Re: Rebellion Plans to Make Better Games Nov 18, 2011, 16:55 briktal
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:12:
Can they really be blamed for Rogue Warrior? That project had been bounced around for years before Rebellion got their hands on it, by which point the publisher probably just wanted someone to finish development and get it out the door.

I think at least part of the statement is that they shouldn't even pick up games like that: "You’re only as good as the deal you’re offered."
News Comments > Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting
10. Re: Jurassic Park Metacritic Boosting Nov 18, 2011, 11:22 briktal
tony wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:11:
Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2011, 11:09:
Just because they are biased doesn't mean they can't post reviews in my view. Hell, most user reviews are just as biased, being written by either fanboys or haters. They used their real names, so it isn't like they were being sneaky.

This completely. They did not hide who they were therefore there is no controversy.

They didn't use different names than they use online elsewhere, but hell if I know who they are.

Here are the people who have posted 10s for the Xbox version: RightTheWrongs, TheVZA, Tantrad, KillerIri5h, NoBodysGamer and matirishhh. How many people looking at that page would know if one or more of these people were Telltale employees without doing further research?
News Comments > Skyrim Soars
47. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 12:12 briktal
Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 11:09:
I'm not sure if I feel it's the best game in the series yet (I don't like how much they took out, especially in the attributes sections. So every character can now carry 300lbs, and that's it? Strong characters don't get a bonus in carrying? It's just dumbing down for no reason whatsoever. Even the most idiotic MW player can figure out that More Strenght = Carry More. Apparently Bethesda didn't think so.) but I do love Skyrim.

I especially really enjoy the added difficulty. Went to kill a bandit leader somewhere, and got royally RAPED by a Saber Cat on my way there.

Tried to sneak attack a Giant camp, and got turned into Bantha Puddu by a Mammoth.

Tried to climb a mountain and got destroyed by something I didn't even see. One second I'm climbing, the next second I hear some ferocious animal roar and I'm tumbling down the mountain, dead as a doorknob.

Also, I know everyone harped on Oblivion for being too "Generic Fantasy", but at least it was colorful. Skyrim's a bit too much drab green, grey and white for my taste.

But all in all I'm loving it. Still trying to find the Thieves' Guild.

Increasing your Stamina at level up increases your carrying capacity.
495 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo