Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The_Pink_Tiger

Real Name The_Pink_Tiger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 31, 2008, 00:33
Total Comments 80 (Suspect)
User ID 54666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Jul 14, 2016, 19:35 The_Pink_Tiger

Every time I read about Descent Underground I'm momentarily confused and think they mean Descent to Undermountain. "Wow, they're still patching that old game?"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 10, 2016, 19:34 The_Pink_Tiger

One of the things I liked about the original Gothic was the scale.

Most CRPGs fudge with the scale of the world; Skyrim, for instance, is supposedly the northern half of a huge continent but you can still walk across it in a few hours. I'm not complaining (much); by compressing everything the player is assured of having an exciting adventure every time he boots the game and it reduces the expense of world-building. Daggerfall, often used as a counter-example, has a much larger world but it suffers in pacing and detail. Between the two, I prefer the compressed version (of course, given the option I'd love a game the size of Daggerfall but with the detail of Skyrim... but that's not going to happen anytime soon; it would take decades to fill in all the nooks and crannies).

Gothic though (this was a post about Gothic, remember?) was set in a small valley, just a few miles across. It was /purposefully/ small and it helped the fiction dramatically. It explained why there were three villages just a mile or so apart and why each village had only a few dozen people living there. You didn't have to turn a blind eye to the limitations forced on the developers by the underlying mechanics of the simulation; instead, they used those limitations to build up the setting. It was clever world-building that went a long way to enhancing the feeling of immersion.

Unfortunately, the later Gothic games forwent this tactic and tried to simulate whole continents. As a player, you had to purposefully ignore how tiny the world was, and - while Gothic 2 and 3 were both good games - they also suffered a little bit from their expansiveness.

News Comments > Warframe Specters of the Rail Update
1. Re: Warframe Specters of the Rail Update Jul 8, 2016, 19:32 The_Pink_Tiger

I had to read that three times before I realized they weren't talking about Warren Spector  

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Scale Change Plans
10. Re: American Truck Simulator Scale Change Plans Jun 24, 2016, 20:20 The_Pink_Tiger

Good news. ATS never grabbed me quite the way ETS2 did, and I realize now its scale very likely had something to do with it. One of the great joys of EuroTruck Sim was just toddling down the highway for hundreds of miles; its almost Zen-like. I never quite achieved that same feeling in American Truck sim but I assumed it was just because of the way the road-system was designed (with too many intersections and an abundance of overly-curvy roads, driving in ATS required far more concentration, negating the Zen ;-)

Although at the same time, ATS already felt very low on content even with its reduced scale - not enough cities or things to see - so I hope this change won't make the game feel even more sparse.

Some more variety in terrain would be nice too. Almost the entire game is desert (or dry brushland) and honestly, it is not very attractive. It looks like a title from the brown-is-real era of gaming...

News Comments > System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot
4. Re: System Shock Remaster Becomes a Reboot Jun 24, 2016, 20:11 The_Pink_Tiger

Can't say I'm that upset about this. System Shock was innovative for its time, but its level-design and gameplay hearken back to an era when FPS games were pointless mazes gated by find-the-keycard puzzles, and hasn't aged well because of it. Just adding some more polygons and shaders wouldn't have made the game any more palatable. With a reboot, they aren't quite as tied down. That's not to say I want them to go whole-hog and change everything, but I'm quite willing to let them make necessary changes to the levels and gameplay.

Now, if they ever get around to re-doing System Shock 2, then that's a different story. Graphics (and last few levels) aside, that game came as close to perfection as any and they'd better not screw around with it ;-)

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 23, 2016, 23:24 The_Pink_Tiger

Some lesser-mentioned reasons Quake was important to PC gaming:

- It really helped to spur forward acceptance of using a mouse-n-keyboard to play FPS games. It wasn't the first title to use those controls (Terminator Future Shock was earlier, if I recall) but mouse-keyboard really didn't take off until Quake.

- On a related note, it introduced the idea of fully configurable controls to PC gaming, to the point that nowadays a game that ships without this option is decried as being a cheap "console port". While some earlier games offered the option to change what keys did what, it actually wasn't that common a feature and none of them offered as much freedom as did Quake.

- And related to that, the console. Being able to drop into the console and change key variables in the game - while the game was running - was as amazing as it was innovative. It's unfortunate that in recent years console access has slowly become less common but it is still considered a core feature of a hardcore PC game.

- Being able to change video-settings was another Quake innovation. Oh sure, some earlier games offered the ability to change resolutions or video settings, but almost all of them required you to quit the game and drop into an outside set-up utility to do so. Quake let you change resolutions not only while the game was running, but in the middle of a level. This has become another standard feature of a "true PC game" and woe to the title that releases without it.

For all of the above - but the more often mentioned reasons of true-3D, modding, multiplayer, machinima and esports and it's hard to disagree that Quake cast a long shadow on PC gaming, creating a standard to which all new games had to aspire. The thing is, I didn't even really /like/ Quake all that much but even I had to admit that it revolutionized the hobby. It really was an amazing achievement.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jun 13, 2016, 21:08 The_Pink_Tiger

Yay Gwent!

Although, for those of you who can't wait for the digital edition, you can always download and print out the analog deck ;-)

[url=https://mega.nz/#!5ZE3RCZR!j2CqUC6_Vkob7zsqhkZS72Y-wG9rglHYzumYk8EJnwk]

News Comments > Adam's Venture: Origins Next Month
1. Re: Adam's Venture: Origins Next Month Mar 9, 2016, 19:55 The_Pink_Tiger

"Unpick"?

Can't say the rest of the game looks all that intriguing either, although that may just be because it's set in the 1920s. There's something about that era that just irks me (maybe it was being forced to read the Great Gatsby in sixth grade :-)

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 8, 2016, 19:21 The_Pink_Tiger

I think I see the problem; everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road ;-)

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 3, 2016, 19:24 The_Pink_Tiger

Oh good god. This isn't real, is it? I mean, this is a fan-made parody. That "official" bit is just a joke, right?

I mean, the idea that they are going with distaff versions of the original cast... it's lazy writing, but I can get behind it. But couldn't they find anyone with charisma or comedic talent?

The really scary thing is that they pick the BEST parts of the movie to show in the trailers.

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway
1. Re: No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway Mar 3, 2016, 19:18 The_Pink_Tiger

I dunno; the tech of this game is undeniably impressive, as is the art style but there still doesn't seem to be much of an actual game behind it all. It doesn't seem as if there is much longevity to this title; it's something you'll fool around with for an hour or two and then move on to a game where you can actually accomplish something. As such, I'm not sure it's worth its current price point and definitely is not something I'd risk a pre-order on. It's a shame because the concept seems sound; it's just the actual implementation that appears lacking.

News Comments > Master of Orion Collector's Edition Early Access
2. Re: Master of Orion Collector's Edition Early Access Feb 26, 2016, 19:24 The_Pink_Tiger

Sorry, after the debacle that was Master of Orion 3 I think I'll wait-n-see before I lay down any of my hard-earned dollars for another MOO game. I'm hoping this one will be great but I'll only buy after other people confirm its excellence first.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released
2. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition Released Oct 6, 2015, 19:33 The_Pink_Tiger

Reviews were a bit iffy on this one. I think I'll wait for it to drop in price a bit.

Oh, and for it to hit Steam (or - dare to dream - GOG). I hate trying to remember which game-launcher I have to use for a particular game... I wish EA would finally figure that out and not insist on all their games being exclusive to Origin.

News Comments > The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest
1. Re: The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest Aug 6, 2015, 19:51 The_Pink_Tiger

I can't imagine this game will have much success. Outside of the small group of people who like logic puzzles based around shuffling tin cans (and similar) and those willing to spend money on quick fix of nostalgia, who exactly is the audience for this game?

The original 7th Guest was so popular because - let's be brutally honest - it had awesome graphics for its time. It was released right when CD-ROMs were gaining popularity, and the amazing amounts of space allowed the developers to go nuts with incredibly well-rendered (for its time) full-motion video. Gamers were no longer restricted to 320x240 graphics with pixelated sprites to tell the story; for the first time, we were getting games that looked almost real. People played the 7th Guest because of how amazing it looked, not for its ridiculous setting or frustrating puzzles (it also helped that, like Myst, the 7th Guest was one of those pack-in games that came with many CD-ROM drives and computers).

But nowadays our computers can real-time render games that look far better than anything the 7th Guest offered, and even pre-rendered movies are hard-pressed to stand out against in-game cutscenes. This raw power negates the game's biggest appeal. There just isn't a huge market for obtuse logic puzzles.

Not that I am in anyway besmirching the original or this late sequel and if you are a fan of the franchise, I'm sure this is great news. I just hope the developers realize their audience will be miniscule in comparison and don't expect any of the success of the original.

News Comments > Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending
4. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 6, 2015, 19:35 The_Pink_Tiger

No level cap, eh?

First thing I'm doing when I get Fallout 4 is opening the console and typing in:

player.setlevel 4294967297

And if that works, I'm trying 18446744073709551617

(That's 2^32 +1 and 2^64 +1 respectively).
Because I bet there's gonna be a limit SOMEWHERE

(and then I'm gonna bitch about false advertising on the Internet ;-)

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Gameplay Video
3. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Gameplay Video Aug 5, 2015, 19:39 The_Pink_Tiger

Wow, this looks terrible. From the constrained FOV, to the extremely scripted gameplay, to the awful music and pathetically bad voice-acting... they really are giving the original Homefront a run for the money on worst CoD clone.

The thing is, the core concept is so awesome that it's amazing two developers can fuck it up so badly. I mean, who doesn't want to virtually relive the experiences of a resistance group fighting against invaders of their home country? But you need to do it right; give the players some actual agency instead of limiting them to a badly written plotline. An open-world game would be awesome. Why Homefront of all games got a sequel when the far superior titles like "Freedom Fighters" or the "Resistance" add-on for Operation Flashpoint are stuck in limbo, I'll never understand.

Then again, given the tortured development this game went through, I'm surprised it is even being released at all. I guess Deep Silver is desperate to recoup their investment one way or another (and god knows they're a publisher that's never been that insistent on putting quality first).

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
29. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 19:52 The_Pink_Tiger

I got nothin' but a gut feeling about it, but it seems to me that EA is distancing itself from Origin as its primary sales platform recently. I half expect that we'll start seeing EA games back on Steam and GOG sooner rather than later.

I have to wonder how many sales they lost pulling their products from those markets cost them. Speaking from personal experience, new EA games basically dropped out of existence for me when they did that. It's not that I was purposefully avoiding their games*. I probably would have bought Battlefield or Dragon Age or Need For Speed. But whenever I went to Steam/GOG/HumbleBundle/etc., EA games weren't there and other publishers' games were. So I bought those other games.

I imagine die-hard fans of the various franchises didn't notice - they just fired up Origin and made the purchase there - but EA shot themselves in the foot trying to connect with everyone else. The PC gaming market is crowded enough with excellent titles that asking customers to make that extra step just to buy the product probably cost them more in sales than did sharing profits with other resellers.

But as I said, its all just a gut-feeling.

* although given that its EA, I probably should have been

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 18, 2015, 19:22 The_Pink_Tiger

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 13:23:
Stop trying to pretend this is some killer feature for Windows gamers. It's not. I really hope I will be able to remove any Xbox nonsense Win10 installs for me...

Well, if the preview builds are anything to go by... no, you won't be able to uninstall it (or at least, not without third-party hacks). The "XBox" app is one of the many built-in apps that does not offer an "uninstall" option. I guess it, like Internet Explorer, is just one of those vital parts of the operating system that just can't be removed.

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
4. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 16, 2015, 19:15 The_Pink_Tiger

And there goes whatever interest I might have had in the game.

It's not as if there is a dearth of multiplayer games on the market that people need to take a chance with this one. The developers metaphorically just cut their own throat.

Why would I want to buy a game that might stop working tomorrow? Its already a threat with other online games, but with Flock it is a dead certainty. Worse, it's not as if there is a known cut-off date; I could purchase the game and have it stop working the next day. People are already upset when EA or MMORPGs go offline, there's no need to make this sort of thing a FEATURE.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 27, 2015, 20:17 The_Pink_Tiger

Even without paying Microsoft, you can still continue to get security updates for Windows XP.

See, the Windows XP-POS (Point of Sale) edition - used on many cash-registers and similar POS systems - still is receiving support from Microsoft, and will until Sprint 2016. WindowsXP-POS is almost feature-identical with the Home and Corporate editions of XP; XP-POS just has a few additional features specific to its needs. More importantly, patches for XP-POS work on regular XP as well.

By default, Windows XP won't see XP-POS specific patches when it checks Windows Update. But with a quick tweak to the Windows Registry, you can make your hoary old WindowsXP version poll Windows Update as if it were a WindowsXP-POS system and thus access any security updates that have been released since April 2014.

Specifically, you need to create a new DWord value named "Installed" in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady. The value for the DWord is 1. Then just run Windows Update and install any patches as usual. If you don't know what any of that means, then you probably shouldn't even make the attempt.

Obviously, Microsoft will not support this configuration if something gets messed up and there is always the risk that Microsoft adds some sort of incompatibility to the POS patches that might brick a Home/Corporate edition of XP. There may also be licensing issues (e.g., Home and Corporate XP users may not be authorized to download and install XP-POS patches). So use at your own risk.

But if you can't bear to let that old XP installation go just yet (and you really should), at least you don't have to worry about being completely vulnerable to every security vulnerablity in that old OS.

80 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo