Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for The_Pink_Tiger

Real Name The_Pink_Tiger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 31, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 187 (Novice)
User ID 54666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Games Publishing Announced

48. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 19:39 The_Pink_Tiger

Valve said "Fuck you Vivendi, we don't want to pay your outrageous cut of the profits, we deserve the right to self-publish", and they won, and everyone cheered. Now other companies have said: "Fuck you Valve, we don't want to pay your outrageous cut of the profits, we deserve the right to self-publish." And everybody booed.

Actually, the part most people boo'd at was when the Epic said, "You can sell on our store but you can't sell it on Steam. Even if you promised your customers that you would. Even if you already took money saying that you'd do that." That's the part that got most people angry.

It's not the selling on Epic that upsets people, it's the exclusivity. Take a game like Subnautica; available on Steam but also available on EGS. Nobody is upset about that. But if they'd made it exclusive to one platform, that deserves some disdain. Especially if the platform has a significantly smaller audience and offers less features. PC gamers don't like exclusives. This preference of PC gamers was made quite obvious when EA did with Origin, so it shouldn't have surprised Epic when they followed suit.

It is true that I don't like the Epic Game Store. But this is not because I'm a "Steam fanboy"; in fact, in the beginning I was supportive of Epic's move because I agree that to some degree Valve has become complacent and needs shaking up. But I - and many others - do not like the methods Epic has chosen, and to disregard this concerns as simply "fanboyism" seems a willful blindness at best.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life

2. Re: Valve on Alyx and the Future of Half-Life Mar 18, 2020, 19:50 The_Pink_Tiger

The whole thing to me reads a lot like, "Hey, if you want a Half Life 3, better buy Alyx or we're not even gonna think about making it."

I've no interest in VR games, and honestly, at this point even Half Life has very little draw on me. Fifteen, ten, maybe even five years ago I might have excitedly been waiting for a sequel, but now? I'm pretty much over it. Alyx doesn't excite me and, unless it was truly a radical and awesome experience, even Half Life 3 would be a wait-until-the-sale purchase for me. The original game was breathtaking and innovative, the second game was okay, but its been nearly twenty years and I've moved on since then. I can't imagine I'm the only one. Heck, there's an entire generation that's grown up without any nostalgic value to the franchise.

News Comments > Steam Interactive Recommender Launches

1. Re: Steam Interactive Recommender Launches Mar 18, 2020, 19:43 The_Pink_Tiger

Well, I'll give their interactive recommender this much: it figured out that I'm mostly interested in older games (slider all the way to the left) and average popularity (just a touch left of center). I think that's a fair assessment of my tastes.

Of course, it leaves out the most important criteria for my buying new games: price. They need a slider that lets me move it down to the less-than $5 range before I really start paying attention to any of its recommendations.

News Comments > Legend of Keepers Free Prologue

1. Re: Legend of Keepers Free Prologue Mar 12, 2020, 19:58 The_Pink_Tiger

"Free prologue"... is that what we call a demo these days?  

News Comments > Comanche Early Access Takes Off

2. Re: Comanche Early Access Takes Off Mar 12, 2020, 19:57 The_Pink_Tiger

Now we just need that LHX reboot and we're set!

News Comments > 3 Freebies on EGS; Get Watch_Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free Next Week

7. Re: 3 Freebies on EGS; Get Watch_Dogs and The Stanley Parable for Free Next Week Mar 12, 2020, 19:54 The_Pink_Tiger

Watch_Dogs is a nice addition. It is not very innovative but if you haven't played an Ubisoft Open World Game (tm) then its quite passable. The graphics, of course, never quite matched the teasers of course (which caused quite an uproar at the time) and the "hacking" was disappointingly one-note, but it was an decent enough game within the limitations of the UOWG framework.

But The Stanley Parable; now there is a game worth playing. It is one of the funniest games I have ever played, and its inventiveness and ability to surprise were amazingly impressive. The humor is a bit dry, so if that isn't your thing then you probably won't find it as enjoyable but if you like British comedy, then you'll probably love this game too. Its one major flaw is that - once you've seen all this game has to offer - it severely lacks in replayability; the jokes are far less funny when you know the punchline. Still, the game has so many endings that it will take you a good long time to work your way through the games before you stop finding something new.

News Comments > Epic Expresses Support for GeForce NOW

3. Re: Epic Expresses Support for GeForce NOW Mar 7, 2020, 20:03 The_Pink_Tiger

The cynical part of me immediately suspects this decision was not made out of any real support for Nvidia or even a liking of game streaming, but instead as a ploy to lessen Steam's dominance on PC gaming. Although GeForce Now can play games from Steam, it launches from its own client. If people get used to not using Steam, they'll consider it less essential, and that will lessen its importance.

Is this really the goal? I haven't the foggiest idea, but I've little reason to trust Sweeney or Epic's motives in this area.

News Comments > 2K Games Leaving GeForce NOW

10. Re: 2K Games Leaving GeForce NOW Mar 7, 2020, 19:56 The_Pink_Tiger

Avus wrote on Mar 7, 2020, 15:16:
it is fxxking ridiculous that game developers think they should get a share from a service renting virtual machine to people who put their (PAID) games into it. Game developers really think their customers should double paid for that??

Yeah, but that's a battle long since past winning. Courts have decades of precedence saying that you cannot use display copyrighted works for commercial purpose without permission of the copyright holder. It doesn't matter if it is to one person or many, or if that person already owns a copy of the game. Just as a bar cannot play a movie to its customers or a store use music without getting license, neither can Nvidia stream games. They aren't streaming YOUR game-files onto their virtual machines, after all; they are using a (presumably legally purchased, although at this point I wouldn't even be too sure of even that) copy of the game down to its customers. The fact that Nvidia only allows you to stream games you already own is not a shield.

Why the fxxk these developers not pull their games for the last 2 years?

At least in some cases, Nvidia came to an agreement with the publishers that they could stream the games during the beta phase of GeForce Now. The problem was that NVidia pushed their product out of beta and into public release without making sure all their partners were okay with that. As we've seen, many (most?) of them are not.

Copyright is, I think we can all agree, well out of whack in this country, but in this case it isn't the game publishers being greedy f**cks. They aren't asking for more than the law allows or even pushing the boundaries. Nvidia is the one who screwed up here. I think the fact that so many publishers are unilaterally pulling all their games also indicates that Nvidia isn't being very compromising on their end either.

Arguably, the game publishers could make more money if they stayed with Nvidia, that people with low-end PCs might buy games they otherwise might not just so they can play them on GeForce now. It may very well be that these publishers are being penny-wise and pound-foolish. But morally and legally they are well within their rights to yank their games.

News Comments > The Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge Free on GOG.com

3. Re: The Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge Free on GOG.com Feb 3, 2020, 20:57 The_Pink_Tiger

I never played the original games, but I played the 1995 sequel. I remember it being impressive for its scope and scale, if not its actual gameplay. I liked it more for what it promised computer games of the future could achieve, rather than for itself.  

News Comments > Boxing Day Safety Dance

1. Re: Boxing Day Safety Dance Dec 26, 2019, 20:16 The_Pink_Tiger

Problem: Students aren't attending classes
Solution: Professors use bluetooth devices that connect to students' phones and penalize students who don't show up.
Result: "Hey Bob, you're goin' to class today? Take my phone with you, willya? I'm going back to bed; I got totally wasted last night."

News Comments > Castle Wolfenstein Creator Profiled

4. Re: Castle Wolfenstein Creator Profiled Dec 26, 2019, 20:07 The_Pink_Tiger

It still surprises me that there has never been a sequel or remake to the original Wolfenstein game. As much as I love the first-person shooter games, I think there would be a market for a isometric stealth-shooter in the same vein as Castle Wolfenstein. I think Bethesda would make a bundle just based on the game's name and nostalgic appeal alone.

News Comments > PC Detroit: Become Human Released

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 12, 2019, 21:04 The_Pink_Tiger

That presupposes that Sony would not have released its exclusives to PC without EGS. I do not think there is evidence of that. That they released it to EGS first has more to do with the fact, I think, that it gets them added revenue they might not otherwise have received. It might even have sped up their decision to release to PC. But had Epic never created EGS or not offered an exclusivity bonus, I am fairly sure we still would have seen Sony - and Quantic Dreams - release these games to PC.

Not only is putting these games on PC a good way to profit off a large back-catalog, not only is it a response to Microsoft releasing some of its exclusives to PC, but the entire gaming market is shifting towards streaming (an area where PCs are currently a very important part), and to ignore PCs is a market-blindess Sony is not usually guilty of. Releasing their games is less about EGS and more about Sony dipping their toes into a market where they only have a small presence that needs to grow if the company is to survive. They are just taking advantage of EGS's bribes to get themselves a little bonus while doing so.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2019, 09:29 The_Pink_Tiger

There was a similar hack for XP that enabled regular users to access the XP-POS updates. XP-POS was used in "point of sale" devices - cash registers and the like - and Microsoft provided updates for them for years after patches for the consumer version of XP were discontinued. However, the two versions were virtually identical, and with a simple registry hack, you could continue to receive updates on XP Pro and Home.

Microsoft never went out of its way to shut down this hack and I am hoping they'll be as lenient with this one too.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II - Celebration Edition Released

2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II - Celebration Edition Released Dec 5, 2019, 19:55 The_Pink_Tiger

Battlefront Celebration Edition: get access to ALL the game's content... except the stuff that isn't included. Sounds like EA is taking a lesson from American telecoms and their "unlimited data" plans.  

News Comments > SuperData on Digital Spending

2. Re: SuperData on Digital Spending Dec 3, 2019, 20:13 The_Pink_Tiger

I think it is somewhat disingenuous to make any statement about whether or not PC gamers /prefer/ to buy digitally, since for all intents and purposes, it is almost impossible to buy PC games physically anymore. They may very well prefer digital, but sales figures are not indicative of their preferences, only that they are buying games digitally, whether they like it more or not.

News Comments > Play Overwatch for Free

1. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 19:52 The_Pink_Tiger

Free... if you don't mind supporting a company that clamps down on free speech because it might offend the Chinese government.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

2. Re: How To Be Recruited By An Esports Team In The Call Of Duty League. Nov 25, 2019, 19:20 The_Pink_Tiger

Don't live in or support Hong Kong and/or democracy in general?

Ouch. I was going to say that the hardest part of getting recruited was that you had to first play one of those awful Call of Duty games, but your comment was far, far better. We shouldn't let people forget ActiBlizz's true nature just because there's a new game available.

News Comments > Battleborn Sunset Plans

1. Re: Battleborn Sunset Plans Nov 25, 2019, 19:16 The_Pink_Tiger

Oh look, another service-shutdown announcements. It has all the usual "We're extremely proud of our work" and "deeply appreciate our fans" stuff, but, oddly enough, nothing of the "hey, if you want to keep playing, here's the source-code for the servers so you maybe you can create your own servers to keep playing the game" you might expect following the first two messages. It is almost as if they /don't/ really care about their game or customers.

Maybe we should re-write the message for them:

Hi Battleborn rubes,

We have begun the process of gradually sunsetting the product because we aren't making any more money from this game anymore so instead we are focusing on stuff we hope will be profitable, even if a bunch of you are still having fun.

Battleborn has already been removed from digital storefronts, and starting February 24, 2020, you will no longer be able to purchase virtual currency for use in the game. The game’s servers will remain active and the game will continue to be playable until January 2021. However, once servers are deactivated, Battleborn will no longer be playable because, even though the code is still good, we just don't feel like providing you the product you paid for anymore.

Frankly, we’re extremely embarrassed of this flop and would rather you spend your time - and money - on our newer games. We really hope to rake in a lot of cash with Borderlands 3... at least until we shut that down too and you have another game you can't play anymore because we don't feel like supporting it anymore. We want to extend our deep appreciation to all the fans for their money. We’ll continue to provide updates on the sunsetting of the title if and when we feel like it, but who knows, we might just pull the plug tomorrow just because we can... and there's nothing you can do about it.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 23, 2019, 20:15 The_Pink_Tiger

re: Google Translator Toolkit is shutting down.

Huh, another Google service being closed down. Admittedly, this one is not such a big loss as it has been replaced by another similar service (and they offer options on how to move from one to the other) but still, it's awfully bad timing. One of the biggest worries about the recently released Google Stadia is that Google will abandon it in a few years, and here Google is just helping prove their point. Seriously, they couldn't have waited a few more months?

News Comments > Evening Multiplex

1. Re: Evening Multiplex Nov 21, 2019, 19:32 The_Pink_Tiger

As much as it pleases me that we're getting a new single-player Mechwarrior game, and one that features destructible buildings, the plasticine nature of the structures still annoys me. Battlemechs are powerful vehicles, but even they shouldn't be walking through concrete buildings as if they were tissue paper. Aside from the fact that it ruins the immersion of the experience, the fragility of the buildings greatly lessens their tactical value (it also is greatly in opposition to the lore; urban combat was a fright for mechwarriors because it limited their vision and manueverability, something not at all evident in the trailers).

Unfortunately, this complaint has been made to the developers since the beginning and nothing has changed. I guess they think its cool.

187 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >