Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for The_Pink_Tiger

Real Name The_Pink_Tiger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 31, 2008, 00:33
Total Comments 178 (Novice)
User ID 54666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Boxing Day Safety Dance

1. Re: Boxing Day Safety Dance Dec 26, 2019, 20:16 The_Pink_Tiger

Problem: Students aren't attending classes
Solution: Professors use bluetooth devices that connect to students' phones and penalize students who don't show up.
Result: "Hey Bob, you're goin' to class today? Take my phone with you, willya? I'm going back to bed; I got totally wasted last night."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Castle Wolfenstein Creator Profiled

4. Re: Castle Wolfenstein Creator Profiled Dec 26, 2019, 20:07 The_Pink_Tiger

It still surprises me that there has never been a sequel or remake to the original Wolfenstein game. As much as I love the first-person shooter games, I think there would be a market for a isometric stealth-shooter in the same vein as Castle Wolfenstein. I think Bethesda would make a bundle just based on the game's name and nostalgic appeal alone.

News Comments > PC Detroit: Become Human Released

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 12, 2019, 21:04 The_Pink_Tiger

That presupposes that Sony would not have released its exclusives to PC without EGS. I do not think there is evidence of that. That they released it to EGS first has more to do with the fact, I think, that it gets them added revenue they might not otherwise have received. It might even have sped up their decision to release to PC. But had Epic never created EGS or not offered an exclusivity bonus, I am fairly sure we still would have seen Sony - and Quantic Dreams - release these games to PC.

Not only is putting these games on PC a good way to profit off a large back-catalog, not only is it a response to Microsoft releasing some of its exclusives to PC, but the entire gaming market is shifting towards streaming (an area where PCs are currently a very important part), and to ignore PCs is a market-blindess Sony is not usually guilty of. Releasing their games is less about EGS and more about Sony dipping their toes into a market where they only have a small presence that needs to grow if the company is to survive. They are just taking advantage of EGS's bribes to get themselves a little bonus while doing so.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 8, 2019, 09:29 The_Pink_Tiger

There was a similar hack for XP that enabled regular users to access the XP-POS updates. XP-POS was used in "point of sale" devices - cash registers and the like - and Microsoft provided updates for them for years after patches for the consumer version of XP were discontinued. However, the two versions were virtually identical, and with a simple registry hack, you could continue to receive updates on XP Pro and Home.

Microsoft never went out of its way to shut down this hack and I am hoping they'll be as lenient with this one too.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II - Celebration Edition Released

2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II - Celebration Edition Released Dec 5, 2019, 19:55 The_Pink_Tiger

Battlefront Celebration Edition: get access to ALL the game's content... except the stuff that isn't included. Sounds like EA is taking a lesson from American telecoms and their "unlimited data" plans.  

News Comments > SuperData on Digital Spending

2. Re: SuperData on Digital Spending Dec 3, 2019, 20:13 The_Pink_Tiger

I think it is somewhat disingenuous to make any statement about whether or not PC gamers /prefer/ to buy digitally, since for all intents and purposes, it is almost impossible to buy PC games physically anymore. They may very well prefer digital, but sales figures are not indicative of their preferences, only that they are buying games digitally, whether they like it more or not.

News Comments > Play Overwatch for Free

1. Re: Play Overwatch for Free Nov 27, 2019, 19:52 The_Pink_Tiger

Free... if you don't mind supporting a company that clamps down on free speech because it might offend the Chinese government.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

2. Re: How To Be Recruited By An Esports Team In The Call Of Duty League. Nov 25, 2019, 19:20 The_Pink_Tiger

Don't live in or support Hong Kong and/or democracy in general?

Ouch. I was going to say that the hardest part of getting recruited was that you had to first play one of those awful Call of Duty games, but your comment was far, far better. We shouldn't let people forget ActiBlizz's true nature just because there's a new game available.

News Comments > Battleborn Sunset Plans

1. Re: Battleborn Sunset Plans Nov 25, 2019, 19:16 The_Pink_Tiger

Oh look, another service-shutdown announcements. It has all the usual "We're extremely proud of our work" and "deeply appreciate our fans" stuff, but, oddly enough, nothing of the "hey, if you want to keep playing, here's the source-code for the servers so you maybe you can create your own servers to keep playing the game" you might expect following the first two messages. It is almost as if they /don't/ really care about their game or customers.

Maybe we should re-write the message for them:

Hi Battleborn rubes,

We have begun the process of gradually sunsetting the product because we aren't making any more money from this game anymore so instead we are focusing on stuff we hope will be profitable, even if a bunch of you are still having fun.

Battleborn has already been removed from digital storefronts, and starting February 24, 2020, you will no longer be able to purchase virtual currency for use in the game. The game’s servers will remain active and the game will continue to be playable until January 2021. However, once servers are deactivated, Battleborn will no longer be playable because, even though the code is still good, we just don't feel like providing you the product you paid for anymore.

Frankly, we’re extremely embarrassed of this flop and would rather you spend your time - and money - on our newer games. We really hope to rake in a lot of cash with Borderlands 3... at least until we shut that down too and you have another game you can't play anymore because we don't feel like supporting it anymore. We want to extend our deep appreciation to all the fans for their money. We’ll continue to provide updates on the sunsetting of the title if and when we feel like it, but who knows, we might just pull the plug tomorrow just because we can... and there's nothing you can do about it.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 23, 2019, 20:15 The_Pink_Tiger

re: Google Translator Toolkit is shutting down.

Huh, another Google service being closed down. Admittedly, this one is not such a big loss as it has been replaced by another similar service (and they offer options on how to move from one to the other) but still, it's awfully bad timing. One of the biggest worries about the recently released Google Stadia is that Google will abandon it in a few years, and here Google is just helping prove their point. Seriously, they couldn't have waited a few more months?

News Comments > Evening Multiplex

1. Re: Evening Multiplex Nov 21, 2019, 19:32 The_Pink_Tiger

As much as it pleases me that we're getting a new single-player Mechwarrior game, and one that features destructible buildings, the plasticine nature of the structures still annoys me. Battlemechs are powerful vehicles, but even they shouldn't be walking through concrete buildings as if they were tissue paper. Aside from the fact that it ruins the immersion of the experience, the fragility of the buildings greatly lessens their tactical value (it also is greatly in opposition to the lore; urban combat was a fright for mechwarriors because it limited their vision and manueverability, something not at all evident in the trailers).

Unfortunately, this complaint has been made to the developers since the beginning and nothing has changed. I guess they think its cool.

News Comments > BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal Rocks Out

1. Re: BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal Rocks Out Nov 21, 2019, 19:24 The_Pink_Tiger

In case you are like me and just wanted to know what the new mechs are without having to watch the video, they are:

Assassin, Flea, Archer, Rifleman, Phoenix Hawk, Vulcan, Annihilator and
Bullshark.

And no, they aren't using the original "lost mech" designs for the ARcher, Rifleman and Phoenix Hawk (although the Archer is very close to infringing).

News Comments > Out of the Blue

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 19:50 The_Pink_Tiger

"The role-playing game has made a surprising return to mainstream culture."

Um exsqueeze me? D&D was never mainstream. Gee, what liberal group can I complain to for people co-opting my culture?

Well, if we describe what the D&D of today is as "mainstream", then back in the late '70s / early '80s it was at least as "mainstream" too. The game made a huge splash and even if the actual number of people playing may not have been excessive, it was a well-known cultural touch-point (which really isn't that different from today). And you'd see D&D popping up in places you never expected, being played by people you'd never expect to play the game.

Of course, for original D&D it was all very flash-in-the-pan and its mainstream appeal faded almost as quickly. It quickly became a game relegated to children - and then later to geeky, outcast children; a stigma it is still trying to outgrow. But for a brief, glorious moment in the 70s, D&D was cool and hip and the thing to play.

(It is actually how I was introduced to the game; I played it at a dinner party. And not a "hey guys, let's meet up and get drunk" sort of thing, but a wear-a-tie-and-bring-a-bottle-of-wine type of soiree. If ever so briefly, it was the evening game to play, considered somewhat risque and quite modern).

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2019, 21:03.

News Comments > Morning Previews

1. Re: Morning Previews Nov 13, 2019, 19:31 The_Pink_Tiger

Let's all talk about this game that's not coming out for two years and forget anything else Blizzard might have done recently. Good job, game journalism.

Look, it is not so much that I think Diablo 4 doesn't deserve to be talked about. Diablo 4 is a product with a long lineage from a major publisher. But even if you don't care about Blizzard kow-towing to the Chinese regime, the recent spate of Diablo 4 news is such obvious pandering that you should be insulted that Blizzard thinks so lowly about your intelligence. And if you do care about Blizzard's despicable actions, you should still be insulted that they think so poorly of the strength of your convictions.

I certainly have no intent on forgetting that Blizzard refused to take a stand against Chinese oppression just because they gave us a say-nothing apology and dangle /the promise/ of giving us something shiny in the future. The game is years out from release; I think we can afford to put more than a couple weeks of pressure on Blizzard before we fall for their lure.

News Comments > Airplane Mode Announced

8. Re: Airplane Mode Announced Nov 10, 2019, 13:35 The_Pink_Tiger

The captain's announcement is not realistic. There's not enough "uuuuhhhhs" interspersed with the actual words.

"Uhhhh... This is your, uhhh , Captain speaking. We are, uhhh, now traveling at, uhhh, 15,000, uhh feet. We are about, uhhh, five hours from our, uhhh, destination..."

(It was explained to me that all these pauses are due to the pilots paying less attention to their PA than their flying, and I have no problem with that. 'Better a few uhhs and ehhs than nosediving into the Earth', I always say. But if you are aiming for a realistic passenger simulator, I demand an accurate amount of "filled pauses" interjecting the pilot's announcement!)

News Comments > etc.

7. Re: etc. Nov 9, 2019, 09:04 The_Pink_Tiger

The announced Diablo 4 which more than 2 years away to counter the backlash they received from the free hong kong incident and the mobile diablo announcement last year.

Sadly, it seems to be working. So much for all those protests about how Blizzard's actions were unforgivable and they'd receive no more money until they mended their ways. We gamers in general just do not have the backbone to resist the new shiny. It says something about our shallow lives that we so desperately grab for some new toy even if it means ignoring out deep-held mores and beliefs. No wonder we get screwed over so much. I'm starting to think we deserve it.

News Comments > Midday Tech Bits

8. Re: Midday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2019, 19:18 The_Pink_Tiger

That Hellvetica font is great. I have a friend who is into graphic design; kerning and spacing are very important to her. I am so very tempted to secretly install Hellvetica (removing Helvetica, of course) and then film the fireworks that ensue.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 28, 2019, 19:40 The_Pink_Tiger

Want me not to use your streaming service? Don't let me binge-watch.

Of course, the real reason for this move has /nothing/ to do with "people watch[ing] weekly and look[ing] forward to the next episode and talk[ing] about it". It's all about making sure customers keep paying every month. If people binge watch an entire season in a weekend, they may not show up (or pay) for the service until the new season is available. If they spread that same season out over six months, those customers have to keep paying month after month.

Look, I'll grant you that maybe I'll have a better experience if I don't watch ten episodes in a row, that spreading a series out over a month or so would be more memorable. But that should be the customers' choice, and not something pushed on them. If you try that, people will just find other ways of enjoying the media that don't have these strings attached... like your competitors or piracy.

News Comments > Evening Interviews

2. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 21, 2019, 21:02 The_Pink_Tiger

Yeah, I don't get the hate. I rather enjoyed the radio towers too. It wasn't the mechanic itself that was the problem, rather it was that Ubisoft continually re-used it in all their games. But that was a problem with /all/ the mechanics in Ubisoft's open-world games; once you played one, you have pretty much played them all. They all had nearly identical play structures. The radio-towers were one aspect of this, but no more so than the identical plots and missions.

As I said, I rather liked the radio-towers. They were a fun bit of puzzling (how to get to the top!) with a very useful reward (see more terrain). I found them far more rewarding than taking out yet-another enemy base and getting a new skin for my gun. There's a reason I always bee-lined towards the nearest radio-tower (or falcon's perch in the Assassin Creed games); they were one of the more enjoyable parts of an otherwise very repetitive franchise.

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2019, 19:34 The_Pink_Tiger

Regarding ownership of games, the service doesn't even have to shut down for you to be locked out of playing your games. If the service decides not to support their client on your OS anymore, you are SOL even though the service is up and running. From what I am told, this has already happened with Steam and XP; Valve no longer supports any OS older than Windows 7 so if you try to launch a Steam-locked game, it just doesn't work, even if the game itself would run fine. In fact, there are some games sold on Steam that /don't/ run on anything later than XP, which makes the restriction doubly insulting...

178 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >