Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for The_Pink_Tiger

Real Name The_Pink_Tiger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 31, 2008, 00:33
Total Comments 168 (Novice)
User ID 54666

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Multiplex

1. Re: Evening Multiplex Nov 21, 2019, 19:32 The_Pink_Tiger

As much as it pleases me that we're getting a new single-player Mechwarrior game, and one that features destructible buildings, the plasticine nature of the structures still annoys me. Battlemechs are powerful vehicles, but even they shouldn't be walking through concrete buildings as if they were tissue paper. Aside from the fact that it ruins the immersion of the experience, the fragility of the buildings greatly lessens their tactical value (it also is greatly in opposition to the lore; urban combat was a fright for mechwarriors because it limited their vision and manueverability, something not at all evident in the trailers).

Unfortunately, this complaint has been made to the developers since the beginning and nothing has changed. I guess they think its cool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal Rocks Out

1. Re: BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal Rocks Out Nov 21, 2019, 19:24 The_Pink_Tiger

In case you are like me and just wanted to know what the new mechs are without having to watch the video, they are:

Assassin, Flea, Archer, Rifleman, Phoenix Hawk, Vulcan, Annihilator and
Bullshark.

And no, they aren't using the original "lost mech" designs for the ARcher, Rifleman and Phoenix Hawk (although the Archer is very close to infringing).

News Comments > Out of the Blue

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2019, 19:50 The_Pink_Tiger

"The role-playing game has made a surprising return to mainstream culture."

Um exsqueeze me? D&D was never mainstream. Gee, what liberal group can I complain to for people co-opting my culture?

Well, if we describe what the D&D of today is as "mainstream", then back in the late '70s / early '80s it was at least as "mainstream" too. The game made a huge splash and even if the actual number of people playing may not have been excessive, it was a well-known cultural touch-point (which really isn't that different from today). And you'd see D&D popping up in places you never expected, being played by people you'd never expect to play the game.

Of course, for original D&D it was all very flash-in-the-pan and its mainstream appeal faded almost as quickly. It quickly became a game relegated to children - and then later to geeky, outcast children; a stigma it is still trying to outgrow. But for a brief, glorious moment in the 70s, D&D was cool and hip and the thing to play.

(It is actually how I was introduced to the game; I played it at a dinner party. And not a "hey guys, let's meet up and get drunk" sort of thing, but a wear-a-tie-and-bring-a-bottle-of-wine type of soiree. If ever so briefly, it was the evening game to play, considered somewhat risque and quite modern).

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2019, 21:03.

News Comments > Morning Previews

1. Re: Morning Previews Nov 13, 2019, 19:31 The_Pink_Tiger

Let's all talk about this game that's not coming out for two years and forget anything else Blizzard might have done recently. Good job, game journalism.

Look, it is not so much that I think Diablo 4 doesn't deserve to be talked about. Diablo 4 is a product with a long lineage from a major publisher. But even if you don't care about Blizzard kow-towing to the Chinese regime, the recent spate of Diablo 4 news is such obvious pandering that you should be insulted that Blizzard thinks so lowly about your intelligence. And if you do care about Blizzard's despicable actions, you should still be insulted that they think so poorly of the strength of your convictions.

I certainly have no intent on forgetting that Blizzard refused to take a stand against Chinese oppression just because they gave us a say-nothing apology and dangle /the promise/ of giving us something shiny in the future. The game is years out from release; I think we can afford to put more than a couple weeks of pressure on Blizzard before we fall for their lure.

News Comments > Airplane Mode Announced

8. Re: Airplane Mode Announced Nov 10, 2019, 13:35 The_Pink_Tiger

The captain's announcement is not realistic. There's not enough "uuuuhhhhs" interspersed with the actual words.

"Uhhhh... This is your, uhhh , Captain speaking. We are, uhhh, now traveling at, uhhh, 15,000, uhh feet. We are about, uhhh, five hours from our, uhhh, destination..."

(It was explained to me that all these pauses are due to the pilots paying less attention to their PA than their flying, and I have no problem with that. 'Better a few uhhs and ehhs than nosediving into the Earth', I always say. But if you are aiming for a realistic passenger simulator, I demand an accurate amount of "filled pauses" interjecting the pilot's announcement!)

News Comments > etc.

7. Re: etc. Nov 9, 2019, 09:04 The_Pink_Tiger

The announced Diablo 4 which more than 2 years away to counter the backlash they received from the free hong kong incident and the mobile diablo announcement last year.

Sadly, it seems to be working. So much for all those protests about how Blizzard's actions were unforgivable and they'd receive no more money until they mended their ways. We gamers in general just do not have the backbone to resist the new shiny. It says something about our shallow lives that we so desperately grab for some new toy even if it means ignoring out deep-held mores and beliefs. No wonder we get screwed over so much. I'm starting to think we deserve it.

News Comments > Midday Tech Bits

8. Re: Midday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2019, 19:18 The_Pink_Tiger

That Hellvetica font is great. I have a friend who is into graphic design; kerning and spacing are very important to her. I am so very tempted to secretly install Hellvetica (removing Helvetica, of course) and then film the fireworks that ensue.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 28, 2019, 19:40 The_Pink_Tiger

Want me not to use your streaming service? Don't let me binge-watch.

Of course, the real reason for this move has /nothing/ to do with "people watch[ing] weekly and look[ing] forward to the next episode and talk[ing] about it". It's all about making sure customers keep paying every month. If people binge watch an entire season in a weekend, they may not show up (or pay) for the service until the new season is available. If they spread that same season out over six months, those customers have to keep paying month after month.

Look, I'll grant you that maybe I'll have a better experience if I don't watch ten episodes in a row, that spreading a series out over a month or so would be more memorable. But that should be the customers' choice, and not something pushed on them. If you try that, people will just find other ways of enjoying the media that don't have these strings attached... like your competitors or piracy.

News Comments > Evening Interviews

2. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 21, 2019, 21:02 The_Pink_Tiger

Yeah, I don't get the hate. I rather enjoyed the radio towers too. It wasn't the mechanic itself that was the problem, rather it was that Ubisoft continually re-used it in all their games. But that was a problem with /all/ the mechanics in Ubisoft's open-world games; once you played one, you have pretty much played them all. They all had nearly identical play structures. The radio-towers were one aspect of this, but no more so than the identical plots and missions.

As I said, I rather liked the radio-towers. They were a fun bit of puzzling (how to get to the top!) with a very useful reward (see more terrain). I found them far more rewarding than taking out yet-another enemy base and getting a new skin for my gun. There's a reason I always bee-lined towards the nearest radio-tower (or falcon's perch in the Assassin Creed games); they were one of the more enjoyable parts of an otherwise very repetitive franchise.

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2019, 19:34 The_Pink_Tiger

Regarding ownership of games, the service doesn't even have to shut down for you to be locked out of playing your games. If the service decides not to support their client on your OS anymore, you are SOL even though the service is up and running. From what I am told, this has already happened with Steam and XP; Valve no longer supports any OS older than Windows 7 so if you try to launch a Steam-locked game, it just doesn't work, even if the game itself would run fine. In fact, there are some games sold on Steam that /don't/ run on anything later than XP, which makes the restriction doubly insulting...

News Comments > Infinity Ward on Special Ops Survival Mode PS4 Exclusivity

3. Re: Infinity Ward on Special Ops Survival Mode PS4 Exclusivity Sep 25, 2019, 20:57 The_Pink_Tiger

Amateurs. You put "Special Ops Survival" on as a PS4 exclusive, SpecOps as an XBoxOne exclusive, and the campaign as a PC exclusive. That way if you want to get the full experience at launch, you have to buy three copies of the game. I thought Activision knew how to milk their customers; they must be getting soft in their old age.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 23, 2019, 20:09 The_Pink_Tiger

Cue new fine print for the EULA:

"By using Google Assistant, I hereby agree that Alphabet, Inc. and its subsidiary, Google, may store any and all recordings made with Assistant and use said recordings for any purpose, including improving our voice-recognition service, data-mining, and blackmail."

You clicked OK when you accepted the EULA, so you can't complain if they use the recordings.

News Comments > Shenmue III Backer Steam Key Plans Hazy

4. Re: Shenmue III Backer Steam Key Plans Hazy Sep 20, 2019, 20:26 The_Pink_Tiger

Part of the issue may be that Steam's Distribution agreement specifies that any game sold through their service can't be made into an exclusive elsewhere. ("Company shall submit to Steam any [game] when available, but in no event later than they are provided to any other third party for commercial release"). So the publisher cannot decided "this small group here gets Steam keys, but everybody else has to buy it on EGS" without coming into conflict with said agreement.

So this leaves the developers a choice between three options:

1) They give the pre-orders the promised Steam keys and but all other sales are exclusive to EGS, violating their agreement with Valve, possibly being fined, or,

2) they give the pre-orders the promised Steam keys, and in obediance with the distribution agreement, allow the game to be sold on Steam as well as the EGS, violating their agreement with Epic, possibly being fined and almost certainly losing their exclusivity bonus, or,

3) They screw over the pre-orders by not providing them the promised Steam keys. The pre-orders will grumble (but this is a group that was willing to pay for the game sight unseen) and maybe try to launch a class-action law-suit, but the cost of that is almost certainly going to be far lower than options 1 or 2.

I have my money on what's gonna happen.

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Sep 14, 2019, 22:50 The_Pink_Tiger

Well, DOSBox v0.74.3 has been available since June 26th, but I guess better late than never ;-)

News Comments > System Shock 3 Trailer

24. Re: System Shock 3 Trailer Sep 11, 2019, 20:15 The_Pink_Tiger

A couple things come to mind while watching the trailer:

First, it seems to fast paced. System Shock was always a very slow and methodical game (in part because of limitations of its engines). Very few enemies were fast-movers. They were slow, indomitable foes that hit very hard. It was rarely a game dependent on lightning-fast reflexes and the measured pace helped heighten the tension of the game. Seeing all the swift-moving enemies in the trailer feels wrong for the franchise. I find that worrisome.

Secondly, as much as I adore Shodan (and Terri Brosius' excellent voice-work), my initial impression was, "Shodan and mutants /again/?" It feels like they are just re-treading the same ground already covered quite well in the first two games. I'm not sure exactly what a game would be without Shodan (and it wouldn't have to be completely without her) but the universe felt large enough to support more than one villain. It feels like the developers are intentionally limiting themselves for marketing reasons - in order to tap into nostalgia for the older games - rather than creating something new.

News Comments > I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickiní Good Dating Simulator

9. Re: I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickiní Good Dating Simulator Sep 10, 2019, 19:05 The_Pink_Tiger

Looks amusing, and I might even play the game, but it still won't get me to touch any of KFC's so-called "food".

News Comments > Op Ed

2. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2019, 20:38 The_Pink_Tiger

How odd; people are nostalgic for a game from an era when developers were more focused on quality of gameplay, story and setting than streamlining and simplifying everything to maximize monetization? Who could have expected that?

Personally, I can't understand that myself; why would anyone want to play something that focused on making sure the player had fun rather than ensuring a payout for the stockholders. It makes no sense!

/s

News Comments > Falcon Age Takes Off

4. Re: Falcon Age Takes Off Sep 6, 2019, 20:33 The_Pink_Tiger

Here I was all pumped this was Falcon 5.0

Came to say the same thing (well, that and also make fun of flacons, like everyone else). The old Spectrum Holobyte / Microprose sims were the best...

News Comments > Sunday Interviews

3. Re: Sunday Interviews Jun 10, 2019, 19:22 The_Pink_Tiger

Don't forget: no more mods that extend the life of a game. People playing old games have less need for new ones, after all.  

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Jun 9, 2019, 19:45 The_Pink_Tiger

Hopefully the new version of Steam will /finally/ allow us to change the font size. I'm getting older and Steam's tiny font isn't working for me anymore (and no, I do not want to use the abomination that is Big Picture mode)  

168 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >