Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam

35. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 15:29 StingingVelvet

Veterator wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:51:
I dunno. I mean this looks like Steam being greedy, but then I got to wondering...how does Steam function if it can't tell what you own?

It does just fine, judging by outside DLC used before they changed their rules. No one had any issue with Steam versions of games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and BioShock 2 with outside DLC from GFWL and the Bioware store.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 15:28 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:46:
Okay, so why don't GWFL games have the same problem when they sell DLC through GFW store? I have to call bullshit on this one.

You can't buy GFWL DLC in the game, you have to launch the GFWL client outside the game. More importantly though this is a RECENT change in Steam policy and it is reflected in Fable 3 and Street Fighter 2 having their DLC on the Steam store.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2011, 15:39.

33. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 15:27 StingingVelvet

entr0py wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:17:
It would be nice to know what exactly the conflict is. But if EA has been cryptic about it, Steam has been silent. Oh well I've stopped caring. Both companies will get on well enough without each other. But I believe they'll work it out just because they both have a lot to gain.

How have EA been cryptic? They want to sell DLC directly to the customer through the game and they want to handle patching themselves. Steam do not allow this, so they refuse to sell the games.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2011, 15:37.

32. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 15:25 StingingVelvet

I really shouldn't even post in this thread, haha. In any event EA wants their games to run through Origin just like Valve want their games to run through Steam and Stadock wanted their games to run through Impulse. None of them are doing anything wrong, all of them are doing the same thing. EA gets more crap about it because people hate EA.

My opinion in a nutshell.

For the record I like none of these companies and hate all of these services.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details

16. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 5, 2011, 22:08 StingingVelvet

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 21:11:
I've probably bought 2,000 games in the last 25 years, but never once have I bought any time of a Collector's Edition or anything of that nature. Never plan to either, they are a gimmick for people easily parted with their money.

I like art books and soundtracks. Everything else is pretty useless.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details

15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 5, 2011, 22:05 StingingVelvet

Now that I have gone digital again I want a digital deluxe edition with a pdf art book, soundtrack and some other goodies.  

News Comments > Tech 4 Source Release This Year

20. Re: Tech 4 Source Release This Year Aug 5, 2011, 16:44 StingingVelvet

El Pit wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 16:22:
No. Just no. T1 and T2 had a MUCH better atmosphere, much bigger levels, many more possiblilities than T3. T3 was the console kid's version of a Thief game. Not really bad, but nothing like its predecessors.

Yeah, yeah... those damn "console kids" and their horrible ways.

19. Re: Tech 4 Source Release This Year Aug 5, 2011, 16:43 StingingVelvet

MajorD wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 15:53:
Yes, to each their own StingingVelvet; a lot of people, as you say, may have liked T3:DS the best out of the series, but correct me if I am wrong, that the masses agree it was disjointed and didn't hold true to the original Thief 1 & Thief 2. I think ONE of the big disappointments for me was NO rope arrows. Additionally, and to me, it just didn't have that same immersive feel to it as the original T1 & T2. I'm a purest I guess.....or maybe a Looking Glass Studios snob.....or both.

I just thought Thief 3 did stealth mechanics better, and that's the main reason I was playing them. Also I liked the art design more (which is not really a fair comparison given the graphics improvements).

13. Re: Tech 4 Source Release This Year Aug 5, 2011, 15:19 StingingVelvet

MajorD wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 13:22:
Great point! Those guys over there (http://thedarkmod.com/) are doing an incredible job with keeping the Thief series alive - very talented team. They are doing a much better job, IMHO, than EIDOS did with Thief: Deadly Shadows (major disappointment). Puke

And yet for a lot of people Thief 3 was the best in the series (me included). So it all depends. The Dark Mod is awesome though.

News Comments > Grim Dawn, the "Casual-Player Hostile" Action/RPG

3. Re: Grim Dawn, the "Casual-Player Hostile" Action/RPG Aug 3, 2011, 22:03 StingingVelvet

Shame to hear it is relatively short, though I guess a comparison to Titan Quest does it no favors there since TQ was long as hell.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Epic on PC Gaming

3. Re: Quoteworthy - Epic on PC Gaming Aug 3, 2011, 22:01 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 21:01:
Funny how many of these devs in general are suddenly piping up to the press now that the console fortunes are fading and facing increased competition from mobile platforms.

Indeed. He isn't wrong though, console and PC gaming have traded back and forth on which is "in" and which is "out" since they started. Right now we're really already in a time where the focus is on the PC.

News Comments > EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"

56. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 20:05 StingingVelvet

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 18:59:
It almost hurts to say this, but consoles are looking like the only way you can ""own" your copy of the game nowadays.

Same issues arise there. All patches and DLC are through the network and an account. Many games have day-one patches that make them playable basically, like New Vegas, so playing without them would be a huge issue. Not to mention Microsoft have shown they will shut down all support for their consoles eventually, leaving players without continued access.

Also I would guess the next generation of consoles will use Steam-like game registration. I would be surprised if they didn't.

38. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 17:55 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 17:35:
Steam says that they CAN cancel your account for whatever reason they deem valid, yes. They do NOT say that if you're absent for two years, they'll just delete it.

Sure, but either way if you have a problem with companies having the power to take your games away you should be against both. Similarly if you have a problem with games only being available on certain sites or being kept as exclusives you should dislike Valve doing it as much as EA.

No matter how people want to paint it I am not some defender of EA and Origin. I don't like ANY of these fucking DRM platforms that get people to accept them due to social networking bullshit I couldn't care less about. I am not a fan of ANY company having power over your access post-purchase, be it Valve or EA or anyone else. The hypocrisy comes in when one company is allowed to do without much complaint and another can't.

20. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 16:37 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 16:14:
Yeah, but which company would you trust more to use that only when they have to?

And that is what this great debate boils down to for most people. Personally I trust neither more than the other.

5. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 16:00 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 15:35:
Alright, come on SV. Come and defend THIS horseshit.

Hahahahaha...

I won't defend it, it's pretty shitty. I knew about weeks ago, it's been a pretty popular point on the Steam forums. What I will say though is Steam has a clause that says they can remove your games for no reason what-so-ever.

All of these digital DRM-laced platforms are bad in that the companies control your access, not you.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Patched

1. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Patched Aug 2, 2011, 23:25 StingingVelvet

Wonder what the improved textures means...  

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

360. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 2, 2011, 18:47 StingingVelvet

Even if they said they would patch out the online requirement after a certain amount of time I would probably buy it.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon?

43. Re: Borderlands 2 Announcement Soon? Aug 2, 2011, 14:30 StingingVelvet

First game was boring as shit singleplayer. I would guess the sequel will be the same. That's not me attacking it or anything either, I have heard it's pretty good online.  

News Comments > Square Enix Acquires True Crime: Hong Kong

3. Re: Square Enix Acquires <strike>True Crime</strike>: Hong Kong Aug 2, 2011, 14:28 StingingVelvet

Never played them, but this one sounded promising to me for some reason. I don't remember why.  

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings: War in the North in November

6. Re: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North in November Aug 2, 2011, 14:27 StingingVelvet

In their defense the early parts of the year are pretty packed now-a-days as well. They would have to delay it until next Summer at this point to avoid competition.  

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 50.
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >