Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam

144. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 8, 2011, 01:51 StingingVelvet

It certainly boils down to no one knowing the particulars, this is true. At the end of the day though like I said before even if EA was saying "fuck you Steam we don't need you piss off" and being extremely obvious about it I still would not have a greater problem with it than I have with Steam itself.

Valve sell exclusively on their store and tie all copies to their service. Blizzard sell exclusively on their store and tie all copies to their service. Why can't EA do the same? The answer is: because you guys like to jump EA's shit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 8, 2011, 00:49 StingingVelvet

My experience with EYE was being dropped into large arenas and constantly shooting things that respawn quickly, even with respawn on the lowest settings. Just seemed like an endless shoot-a-thon against dumb AI, more Painkiller than Deus Ex.  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 8, 2011, 00:15 StingingVelvet

spindoctor wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 23:11:
There will almost certainly be a better deal on it, but I'm fairly confident that there won't be a digital deluxe edition. The decision about SKUs is made before pre-orders are started, they won't change it now. People who pre-order the game get 'upgraded' to the Anarchy edition of the game which is basically the base game + 2-3 unlocks. That's your digital deluxe edition right there.

I meant Skyrim. I just want the art book as a pdf. Fallout New Vegas got the comic book as a pdf bonus on Direct2Drive so I hope for something similar here.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 8, 2011, 00:14 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 22:58:
From what I've heard, it's really not that impressive.

Seemed to me to be good for Borderlands style coop shootin, but it's not that great of an RPG (also like Borderlands).

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 7, 2011, 21:31 StingingVelvet

Neither Deus Ex game so far was a blockbuster seller. I doubt the new one will sell like gangbusters either, though I would love to be proven wrong. I think cyberpunk just doesn't resonate with many people, which is odd because it's my favorite.  

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 7, 2011, 19:51 StingingVelvet

Way too early to buy Skyrim for me... like over 3 months. Might be a better deal somewhere too before release, maybe a digital deluxe edition.  

136. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 16:12 StingingVelvet

spindoctor wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 13:55:
All of 2 games have been pulled, both by EA. And how do you explain Dirt 3 still getting GFWL exclusive DLC after this supposed change in rules and still remaining on Steam?

Not sure what that means if true. Either it only applies when you sell within the game, which GFWL does not, or Dirt 3 got some kind of pass for some reason.

133. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 13:37 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 04:48:
Source?

Neither of these companies are going to tell us their deep inner workings but it is pretty damn obvious the DLC rules changed when they put free-to-play games on Steam. Ever since then games with NEW DLC sold outside of Steam and not on Steam itself have been pulled. Ever since then GFWL games have suddenly seen new DLC releases on Steam as well.

EA, like Valve, wants to run their games directly. Judging by the alpha BF3 is entirely interwoven with Origin, which is understandable. Valve not wanting to sell Origin codes and nothing else is also understandable. Neither of these companies is doing anything wrong really, they are both doing the same exact shit.

118. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 02:10 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 01:51:
The danger with that idea is that Obsidian would likely get burned out on Fallout. Variety is key to keeping devs motivated so working on spinoffs to both Elder Scrolls and Fallout, in addition to new IP, would be ideal.

They could alternate, yeah. A Fallout game, then something else, then a Fallout game. That could work well. They don't need two teams though since it is relatively obvious half their staff kind of suck (Dungeon Siege 3 for example).

116. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 01:23 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 23:51:
Actually, I wonder if we'll start to see an Infinity Ward/Treyarch type of relationship between Bethesda and Obsidian, where Bethesda develops the sequels in the series while Obsidian develops the spinoffs. I assume that Bethesda will start working on FO4 as soon as they finish Skyrim, so Obsidian may already be working on an Elder Scrolls spinoff to be released between Skyrim and FO4. If that's the case, it could be very interesting. Elder Scrolls with good writing, actual role-playing and meaningful choice? Sign me up.

I'm usually all for independent developers but in this one case I would love it if Bethesda just fucking bought Obsidian and made them a Fallout machine.

95. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 22:11 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 22:04:
Well good. So explain to me why it is okay for Valve to sell their games exclusively on one digital store and directly sell DLC and in-game items to their customers while it is bad for EA to do the same thing. Not even the same thing, since you can buy EA's games on Gamersgate and Direct2Drive as well.

Wait... that's someone else's opinion? So you are okay with it?

As for the differences you cite yes, they are different. One has shareholders and one does not, that is the main difference. Still I don't see why that means one understands sales or lowering prices as a way to move units regardless of store competition and the other does not.

93. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 21:54 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 21:51:
I don't prescribe to it either so stop pushing your assumptions on me.

Well good. So explain to me why it is okay for Valve to sell their games exclusively on one digital store and directly sell DLC and in-game items to their customers while it is bad for EA to do the same thing. Not even the same thing, since you can buy EA's games on Gamersgate and Direct2Drive as well.

Just give me a clear answer without snark or anything if possible. I am genuinely interested.

91. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 21:50 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 21:48:
I'm sure in your head that was a witty retort but it makes no sense at all to outsiders.

It goes back to what this is actually all about, which is that Valve are special and EA is the devil. I don't prescribe to that theory.

88. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 21:45 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 21:29:
I don't think you can directly compare Valve with traditional publishers.

Of course you don't.

85. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 21:23 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 21:20:
In two regions and not on my screen. What sales EA does do now are to drive people to purchase from them directly and the more that people do that the less incentive EA has to offer their products through competing services.

Because Valve games NEVER go on sale right?

83. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 21:18 StingingVelvet

Personally I said "kind of." Portal 2 was pretty good but in the end it just seemed like more Portal to me, I was hoping for something grander. As for Left 4 Dead 2 I just enjoyed the atmosphere of the original more, plus the same complaint as Portal 2... felt like more L4D, not something new.

I still enjoyed both, but I am hoping for something really excellent and fresh from Valve again soon.

80. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 20:57 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 20:55:
I don't see these $5 deals you're talking about. The prices are the same as they have always been on Origin. So either you're mistaken, the sale ended or the sale is for US/Canada residents only...which makes it shitty compared to a Steam sale which is pretty much always across the board.

It just ended. Origin has sales a lot actually, you get an email about them if you choose to. Sales are not only born out of competition, they are a sales driver no matter what. Also EA games will still be on sale on Gamersgate and similar sites, just not Steam.

78. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 20:49 StingingVelvet

briktal wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 20:45:
It was a notable drop in quality from previous releases. Just about everything they've done since Left 4 Dead has seemed to be about squeezing more and more money out of everyone for little in return.

While I actually kind of agree with you you have to realize we are in the minority.

74. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 20:28 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:00:
What's best for me, the consumer, is to not have my games effected an the service the publishers sold them on, and to be able to buy subsequent DLC and expansions on Steam for those games I purchased on Steam.

And there's a fan of Gamersgate out there pissed that Valve do not release their games on Gamersgate. It is no different.

As someone else said there are no sides to back here. Valve wants money and is using their leverage, EA want money and are using their leverage. The fact Steam fans are caught in the middle cannot really be blamed on either of them more than the other, it's just a side effect.

36. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 15:37 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 14:48:
This entire mess is retarded, and I think it'll hurt EA more than it will Valve.

It's possible, but honestly I think consumers have shown that when they want a game they go get it, regardless of disagreements. I think with some smaller title like Need for Speed The Run you would be right, they would just lose sales, but for Battlefield 3? I bet the vast, vast majority of Steam fans get it somewhere else.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 49.
< Newer [ 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ] Older >