Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Trading Beta

4. Re: Steam Trading Beta Aug 10, 2011, 01:52 StingingVelvet

I just started playing TF2 so it would be nice of I could get some medic stuff for the random shit they have given me. That alone will make me opt-in for this.

Also I have been trying to give away my Deus Ex gift ever since I pre-purchased Deus Ex 3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future

14. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Aug 10, 2011, 01:50 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 01:30:
For me, DA2's game-breaking flaws were the excessive recycling of environments and the wave-based combat encounters where enemies would literally spawn out of thin air. Since you were able to play through the game twice, that means you didn't place much significance on these flaws. However, that doesn't mean that others share your opinion nor does it invalidate their opinions and turn them into trolls, as you seem to suggest.

Those two and the complete lack of impact from your choices are what made it worse for me. That said I still enjoyed playing it, even if much less so than Origins.

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future

13. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age Changes, Past and Future Aug 10, 2011, 01:49 StingingVelvet

They're never giving up the dream of 10 million people buying their RPGs, even if it means them not being RPGs anymore.  

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam

159. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 10, 2011, 01:42 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 08:46:
I notice you omit the hundreds, if not thousands of indie games on Steam. Fact of life, most commercial distribution platforms in the gaming industry have standards in some form. I'm going to invoke the Bad Rats clause here. If Bad Rats can get on Steam then not getting on Steam probably requires actual effort.

Gemini Rue was extremely well reviewed and well received.

Then don't call everyone else hypocrites when you're being the biggest hypocrite of all - you constantly deride others for some imagined lack of accountability with Valve yet you do the same thing with other companies.

I don't even know what this means. I don't confine all my purchases or 90% of my purchases to one outlet, which is what I am angry with people for doing. Supporting EA has nothing to do with that.

News Comments > Op Ed

54. Re: Op Ed Aug 10, 2011, 01:24 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 21:34:
I'd post a list of EAs negatives but we'd be here all evening Bucktooth

That's probably very true. In the end though they're both companies after my money to me. I feel no special kinship with Valve.

News Comments > Op Ed

50. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 21:23 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 20:42:
Some consumers look at Valve differently because of their years of positive actions to support the PC gaming industry on several different fronts.

Like account-based DRM and in-game microtransactions?

News Comments > Op Ed

45. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 20:21 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 20:14:
So instead they'll lose sales by not having it on #1 online seller at all.

That's brilliant!

A million Origin sales are worth 1.3 million Steam sales. Then you have to factor in the DLC they get 100% revenue from. Then you have to factor in the value of expanding Origin as a platform.

You're looking way too surface-level.

News Comments > Op Ed

43. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 20:12 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 19:29:
It's not an alpha thing, as I said earlier their whole front end appears to be married to the Battlelog/Origin backend. When asked if there would be an in-game server browser at all EA replied "Battlelog is integral to the BF3 experience" which is code for "We dont want negative headlines so we're dodging the issue". The only thing that remains to be seen is whether retail clients can run the game without an Origin installation and I'm willing to bet they can't, Origin will most likely be required to activate at the minimum.

I know it uses Origin and I have no issue with that, I just want to avoid the website part of it if possible.

I don't recall Direct2Drive and Steam ever sharing the market evenly

Pretty sure they did in the early days. A lot of games were on D2D that never even went to Steam, like Oblivion until a couple years ago. In the early days of digital distribution I knew more people using D2D than I did people buying non-Valve stuff on Steam.

and Valve sells to no one digitally because they have their own infrastructure for it that they literally built before the DD market even existed.

I don't think timing really matters. I mean certainly they are so entrenched it means a bigger fight for EA, but I don't think Valve should be looked at differently on these issues because they came first.

EA could be fighting this battle on price, features and convenience but instead they're forcing consumers to choose which probably isn't a great idea. We'll see how it shakes out in November, it's going to be a month packed solid with 10 other marquee releases.

I can't really think think of anything other than Skyrim that really competes on the same scale as Battlefield, though I am only a PC gamer and can't speak about console releases.

News Comments > Op Ed

39. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 19:03 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 18:50:
Right. For doing nothing, except giving their game exposure to the largest market of PC gamers in existence. How dare they.

And those Brick and Mortar stores advertising the game for EA and giving it shelf space, how dare they ask for a profit for doing 'nothing' as well, right?

I think what he means is nothing EA themselves cannot do. EA cannot open 10,000 boxed retail stores to sell BF3 directly but then can sell it directly through the internet. The only thing Steam offers them is a userbase that might not shop anywhere else, but they are (wisely IMO) willing to risk whatever that number might be to gain substantially more profits through Origin.

Valve do the same thing, they ignore Gamersgate, Direct2Drive and other similar services and sites. They did so even when Direct2Drive and Steam shared the download market pretty evenly. Blizzard do the same thing, they ignore Steam and everywhere else and sell directly through battle.net exclusively.

There is much to be gained by directly selling to the consumer digitally. If you ever thought Steam would take over the entire platform easily and without a fight you were mistaken.

News Comments > Op Ed

38. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 19:00 StingingVelvet

DangerDog wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 18:54:
Origin isn't as much as a problem as having to log in to "battlenet" to access a server browser and needing to use it as your front end UI. Not having a server browser in game is going to be a pain, but then again DICE seem to always fail at programming a decent UI - or it takes many patches before it gets even remotely usable.

I assumed that was an alpha thing.

News Comments > Op Ed

29. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 17:22 StingingVelvet

You guys realize that even if BF3 was on Steam it would still use your EA account for multiplayer right? Just like Bad Company 2 did? That account is also an Origin account now, same thing.

Not saying you shouldn't wish it was Steamworks if that's your bag, but it was never going to be no matter what.

News Comments > Op Ed

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 14:59 StingingVelvet

If Steam "is PC gaming" to many people that is a problem.

Also anyone who played BF2 or BF:BC2 already has an Origin account, they have to sign up for nothing.

News Comments > To the Moon Announced

2. Re: To the Moon Announced Aug 8, 2011, 22:25 StingingVelvet

I was really excited until I saw the JRPG art style.  

News Comments > 1UP Label Closing

15. Re: 1UP Label Closing Aug 8, 2011, 22:20 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 21:26:
I don't think anyone's ever said that. What we have said, repeatedly, is that your idea that because Steam is too powerful, we should therefore be fucking HAPPY that EA now has Origin to fuck us in the ass with, is completely fucking bonkers.

Those are two very different statements.

Creston

Well that's a good point really. I don't honestly celebrate Origin, I just like the idea of Steam not having everything.

11. Re: 1UP Label Closing Aug 8, 2011, 18:25 StingingVelvet

Veterator wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 15:49:
Was Minecraft sold anywhere but the Minecraft website?

Outlier.

156. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 8, 2011, 14:36 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 09:20:
Well, people think you're a Valve hater because you turn every DRM topic into "HOW CUM U GUYS DONT HATE STEAM TOO?!!!". You've become a predictable forum trope at this point, people literally say "here he comes to post this" and you do exactly that without fail. You say you aren't hypocritical yet you don't seem to have a problem with a lot of this stuff so long as people properly chastise Valve. Or you claim you do have a problem with it yet never seem to post about it while dedicating post after post about Steam. You're amusingly passive aggressive and almost a bit obsessive about the subject.

Well I only post about what I am interested in and passionate about, and yes I am passionate about Steam having too much power. I am pretty sure I have been clear and upfront about that. Pardon me for having a strong opinion and concern (and you say this on the day an indie portal closes because it cannot compete with Steam).

I see great games like Gemini Rue and Democracy 2 that cannot get on Steam due to Valve's arbitrary rules and I worry about a future where Valve decides what is successful, like Microsoft does on the Xbox. That screams closed system and platform overseer to me. I hate the idea of it, and frankly we might already be there for smaller games. Only big guns like EA and Blizzard really have the power to tell Steam to fuck off, so pardon me for smiling a bit when they do so.

That doesn't mean I hate Steam or Valve. Valve make great games I love to play and Steam is perfect for multiplayer games and a great option for many people with certain priorities. I just don't want it to be the end-all-be-all of PC gaming, which despite your flippant dismissal is a real concern. Very few see the dictator before he has gained power.

7. Re: 1UP Label Closing Aug 8, 2011, 14:29 StingingVelvet

Gamersgate seems to focus on indies quite a bit... indies and smaller releases. In any event Steam has so much market share and press favoritism at this point that it will take a solid competitor years to rival it.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

59. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 8, 2011, 14:26 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 12:20:
This is the same AI as HL2. They run to the sides, they go to cover, they flank, they grenade you out, they crouch, what else do people want? I don't remember rash of complaints about the AI in HL2?

In my experience they do very little of this, they mostly just run at you and shoot.

4. Re: 1UP Label Closing Aug 8, 2011, 14:08 StingingVelvet

BUT I AM A TOTAL PARANOID FOR SAYING THIS RIGHT GUYS?!?!?!  

146. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 8, 2011, 03:39 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 02:21:
I think you need to take off those rose coloured glasses and look at history a little more clearly.

When Steam began, there was enormous outcry about the requirement. Why shouldn't EA recieve the same? The answer is: because you like to jump Valve's shit and try to make it out like they didn't suffer the same reaction EA is now.

Valve sell exclusively on their store and tie all copies to their service. Blizzard sell exclusively on their store and tie all copies to their service. Why can't EA do the same? The answer is: because you guys like to jump EA's shit.

I think you need to take off those rose coloured glasses and look at history a little more clearly.

When Steam began, there was enormous outcry about the requirement. Why shouldn't EA recieve the same? The answer is: because you like to jump Valve's shit and try to make it out like they didn't suffer the same reaction EA is now.

As for Blizzard, outside of WoW (which as an MMO is pretty much required to be restricted to it's own service for payment), Starcraft 2 is the only game they've sold since Digital Distribution became the norm and it did not sell well digitally. Not well at all. Compared to most games these days that sell 50%+ digitally, almost 75% of Starcraft 2 purchases were through retail.

So either people were deadset on having a boxed copy, or they opted not to use Blizzard's digital service, much as many people are saying they will not use Origin.

Whether you've looked for it or not, there are plenty of people petitioning Blizzard to put their games on Steam and plenty of those who say the only way they will buy those games is if they are on Steam.

You will of course look at that as a negative and sneer at Valve and Steam and it's supporters, but the reality is, those are people who are rebelling against the exclusivity of Blizzard's DD system and are asking that the games be released on the sales platform they prefer to use. Precisely the same thing you claim isn't happening to Blizzard.

Take the glasses off and look again.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I am saying. If you want to rant about this service DRM bullshit I am with you brother! I hate DRM, I hate having to tie my purchases to these services, all of them. I am not defending Origin, I am simply expressing frustration with people singling it out.

When Rockpapershotgun bitch about DRM and Origin and all this other shit but then suck Steam's cock every other post it makes me go "wha?" When forum posters do the same thing it makes me go "wha?" In short, I don't agree with the hypocrisy. Same thing with Diablo 3's online requirement getting quite a lot less rage than Ubisoft's did, and their battle.net exclusivity getting no mention what-so-ever. Where are the "steam or don't buy" posts about Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3? Very few of them exist. You act like they do, but they don't, not in the same volume as they do against EA right now, not at all. Fuck man, the lack of BF3 on Steam is getting headlines on news sites for God's sake.

I do not like hypocrisy. I do not like that Valve and Blizzard get to play by different rules. That is my main point. It has nothing to do with "Valve hate" people keep shoving on me to try and belittle my points. I own every single game Valve have ever released and bought them all at full price, plus I have 300 games on Steam, but I'm a Valve hater? Fucking ridiculous.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >