Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4535 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Trump Calls Out Video Games
18. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 22, 2018, 22:53 StingingVelvet

Reactor wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 21:55:
Haha, what the heck are you talking about? Gun are the main problem. There are crazy people across the world, but when you have readily available guns you wind up with the huge issues the US has.

America definitely has cultural differences that contribute to its higher violence level, the most obvious being greater diversity and a history of oppression, frontier mindsets and ruthless capitalism.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > METAL GEAR SURVIVE Released
9. Re: METAL GEAR SURVIVE Released Feb 22, 2018, 17:43 StingingVelvet

Watched some videos and the food/water/stamina meters go down so damn fast, good lord. Might as well call it Stress: The Game.  

News Comments > R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax
18. Re: R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax Feb 22, 2018, 02:47 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2018, 20:59:
If that were true, violent media affecting kids, explain why we all didn't grow up to be mass-murders watching violent cartoons and TV shows. Spending my formative years in front of the boob tube watching Bugs Bunny dropping anvils on peoples heads never game me the impulse to do it. Nor did I ever fail to understand the difference between fact and fantasy. Somehow the overwhelming majority of people out there have watched violent media their whole lives without turning into mass-murders.

The answer is that you're way exaggerating what I said. It has an impact, which varies depending on the individual and the situation. That's a big reason why it should be handled by parents and teachers on a case by case basis, rather than stupid laws like these.

News Comments > R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax
2. Re: R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax Feb 21, 2018, 19:40 StingingVelvet

As a sociology teacher I have to admit media has an effect on kids, but this isn't how you counter that. Instead it has to be parents, or sadly school systems when parents don't give a crap, who teach the children how to handle violent images and the difference between life and fantasy. 90% of parents would buy their kid Grand Theft Auto 5 without thinking twice, and that's a bigger deal than anything else on this subject.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2018, 23:09 StingingVelvet

Nucas wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 13:58:
i finally pulled the trigger on the hardware for a system rebuild on my game machine after going without for about half a year, i7-8700k and related accouterments. i was really hoping buttcoins would keep tumbling, video card prices were creeping back to sane for about 2 or 3 days there when the price was at 6000 (1060 6gbs were going for 320 NIB on ebay, now they're back up to like 500 bucks.) guess i'm going to have to keep making do with my GTX 770.

I built my new PC like 2-3 months ago and got the EVGA 1060 6GB for like $270. Had no idea how lucky I was.

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
46. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 18, 2018, 00:12 StingingVelvet

Yeah, tons of great games only exist because of Kickstarter, either the actual campaign or the proof of market. Jerykk's list is a great example.  

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
41. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 16:29 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 16:17:
It is pretty funny, no? I think multiplayer is where the main masses are at these days, sure exceptions. This game though once most play it, well after first release, agree it's pretty darn good.

Multiplayer and big open world games. Not much market out there for smaller scale single-player right now, which is what EA said about a Star Wars single-player game and were lynched for. They're just looking at the numbers though, they are what they are.

I'm eager for smaller scale projects to move forward from Baldur's Gate/Metroid homages to Morrowind/Deus Ex homages. That has to happen eventually right?

News Comments > Get Dungeons II Free on GOG
2. Re: Get Dungeons II Free on GOG Feb 16, 2018, 12:20 StingingVelvet

There's at least a chance I'll play this one, unlike the fighting game. Was happy to pay up for Torment, Shadow Warrior 2 and Thimbleweed Park as well.  

News Comments > Senator Presses FTC and ESRB on Loot Boxes
14. Re: Senator Presses FTC and ESRB on Loot Boxes Feb 15, 2018, 13:53 StingingVelvet

Turd Ferguson wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 13:30:
Personally I don't want any government getting involved in anything video game wise, I also feel that when they do, rather than helping us, the gamers, they'll find a way to profit themselves while ignoring the core of the problem.

Usually I'd want the government to mind their own business while the free market votes, whether I agree with the outcome or not. In this case though a few "whales" could ruin games for the masses, and teens could be targeted for what is arguably petty gambling, which makes the government's involvement at least understandable.

News Comments > Steam Drops Developer Over Self-Reviews
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2018, 08:27 StingingVelvet

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 01:16:
Valve essentially put them out of business.

Which is the scary part of Valve's kinda-sorta monopoly on PC, but 10+ years of warnings were never heard and it ain't gonna happen now.

News Comments > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Delivered
8. Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance Delivered Feb 14, 2018, 02:02 StingingVelvet

Waiting for GOG version in a couple weeks. Games like this are going to get more and more rare, so I want to support them.  

News Comments > Get Dead Space for Free
12. Re: Get Dead Space for Free Feb 14, 2018, 01:45 StingingVelvet

ItBurn wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 23:44:
The PC port is absolutely atrocious. Skip.

Oh bullshit. It takes like a minute to fix the mouse aim and then it plays just fine. Looks great. Anyone should grab this.

News Comments > Get Dead Space for Free
6. Re: Get Dead Space for Free Feb 13, 2018, 22:47 StingingVelvet

Great game once you fix the mouse issues. Dead Space 2 is even better.  

News Comments > David Gaider Leaves Beamdog
10. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 11, 2018, 02:32 StingingVelvet

You and I are of the same mind on these issues, but that doesn't change my point. Sales of these things are going to directly relate to how much opportunity someone like Gaider has.  

8. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 10, 2018, 20:38 StingingVelvet

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2018, 13:04:
Not literally BG3, or at least the versions you are talking about, in which you are correct. But a BG style game of their own making, which was supposedly going to use their updated BG engine, and be developed in house.

I swear I remember reading about it on their forums a year or two ago, but looking at their web page now, all they list is Enhanced NWN and Planescape Torment as upcoming/new projects. If so, maybe that's why Gaider quit, all Beamdog has planned for a few years is revamp projects instead of anything new.

Beamdog probably looked harder at the cost of making a full RPG from scratch, and decided to either keep generating from enhanced versions first, or skip doing new stuff entirely.

Sales of that new expansion they did might have turned them off. Might have turned Gaider off as well, because of the story/character controversies. We've had word stuff like Tyranny undersold as well, so there's still a question I guess as to how much gas there is in the classic Western RPG tank outside of Pillars of Eternity.

3. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 10, 2018, 03:09 StingingVelvet

Gaider was always a bit smug for me on the Bioware forums, but I'm sure he was a good guy in "real life." Wonder if he's quitting the industry or moving to a new company.  

News Comments > Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended
35. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 21:37 StingingVelvet

Just read the Ars article and this guy is screwed. Not only was she underage he recorded it, so he's going to have two massive felonies to face down. Not to sound like Rick Santorum or whoever but this likely can be a problem avoided by not having sex with random strangers you meet online.  

News Comments > Far Cry Season Pass Details
2. Re: Far Cry Season Pass Details Feb 2, 2018, 21:34 StingingVelvet

I loved that crazy Blood Dragon DLC that Far Cry 3 got, so this sounds exciting. I skipped FC4 and Primal so the main game will be less repetitive for me as well.  

News Comments > Respawn's Star Wars Expected in FY2020
21. Re: Respawn's Star Wars Expected in FY2020 Jan 31, 2018, 22:08 StingingVelvet

I'll piss everyone off by saying Empire Strikes Back is the only movie I love out of all of them. I do have nostalgia for the other two old ones though.

Anyway, chances this game is singleplayer focused are almost nil so yawn. Glad the Dark Forces and KotOR games hold up rather well.

News Comments > GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award
4. Re: GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award Jan 31, 2018, 22:05 StingingVelvet

Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 21:49:
This has officially become a witch hunt. Much like the French Revolution, I can't wait until these assholes are marched to the guillotine, protesting their "ally-ship" the whole way... Furious

Absolutely in witch hunt mode, but there's not much to do at this point other than to ride it out. Anyone prominently saying it's going overboard will lose.

4535 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo