Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4507 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Curse of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion Return
1. Re: The Curse of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion Return Mar 22, 2018, 20:57 StingingVelvet

Curse being legit up for sale again is pretty sweet.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tomb Raider Remasters Axed
6. Re: Tomb Raider Remasters Axed Mar 22, 2018, 18:29 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 13:22:
So shitty studio was told to do remasters, they made shitty demos, remasters get canceled. Not sure I see a problem with this.

Saved us all a lot of time and trouble.

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
28. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 17:16 StingingVelvet

Arithon wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:52:
The UK Price for the Vive pro is the same as the US price! Total rip off.

799USD = 569GBP, even allowing for 20% VAT that's only 683 ($960) NOT 799 ($1,123)
Or do they expect us to believe postage is $163 (116) per unit?

I know from my GOG postings that this will fall on deaf ears, but this isn't how economies work. You can't compare direct currency exchanges and claim X or Y is getting punished. They're different economies entirely and the last time I was in the UK the numbers for things like dinners, hotel nights and magazines, all matched US numbers for the most part, as do the salaries.

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
11. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 18, 2018, 01:11 StingingVelvet

WaltC wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 16:42:
Almost all the Myst games already run fine on Win10x64 (GOG), but a few, like Riven need a bit of configuring--and a couple, like Exile--won't run on modern Windows no matter what you do with them. Should be interesting.

Yeah, 99% of the time when people say something doesn't work on current Windows they're just ignorant of some other problem they have. Exile really is a pain though, I tried getting it running for my mother and couldn't do it. Shadows of the Empire was another one until GOG worked whatever magic they did.

News Comments > Shadow of the Tomb Raider September Release Confirmed
5. Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider September Release Confirmed Mar 15, 2018, 15:07 StingingVelvet

Really need to play the first two, which of course I've owned forever thanks to Steam sales. Really like Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex games so will be interesting to see what changes they make to formula, if any.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Remasters Announced
14. Re: Tomb Raider Remasters Announced Mar 11, 2018, 22:08 StingingVelvet

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 20:06:
Yep... If you want classic Tomb Raider, you can play the reboot trilogy from 10 years ago, one of which is a direct remake of the 1996 original. Going back any further is just torture for the sake of nostalgia.

This is probably true, but I'd still like the chance to see for myself. Shouldn't miss out because I bought on GOG rather than Steam.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Remasters Announced
1. Re: Tomb Raider Remasters Announced Mar 11, 2018, 14:41 StingingVelvet

Better come to GOG as well, as that's where I own them.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 22:14 StingingVelvet

Lost power for 24 hours but no tree assaults, thank darkmatter.  

News Comments > Rumor: Battlefield V to Return to WW2
9. Re: Rumor: Call of Duty V to Return to WW2 Mar 2, 2018, 09:09 StingingVelvet

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 07:01:
How about instead of running back to that tired old well, they try a different era? Say Vietnam or Korea.

Or are there too many Boomers around that would get their jimmies rustled?

It's just that WW2 was the last one that was objectively an honorable war or whatever term you want to use. If something like Vietnam is going to be used it's gonna be in a more abstract fashion, like Black Ops did. That's the last CoD game I played, so maybe they did something else in the sequels.

News Comments > ESRB Adding In-Game Purchase Label
7. Re: ESRB Adding In-Game Purchase Label Feb 28, 2018, 05:54 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 23:30:
"I'm sure you're all asking why we aren't doing something more specific to loot boxes," Vance said. "And I'll tell you we 've done a lot of research are getting a lot of money to not do anything. Like, a LOT of money. So we're not going to do anything. Let's be honest, we're just a mouthpiece for the publishers anyway."

At least be honest about it, ESRB. "Research among parents" my ass.

That statement is only about wording and I can easily believe the random non-gaming parent has no idea what loot box means. They could have used a word like lottery though. Either way the whole thing is pointless because parents don't check the ratings in the first place.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2018, 19:47 StingingVelvet

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 19:07:
It may seem that way, based on the steam charts we see here regularly and how much Skyrim was up there, but GTA V is really in a league of it's own. GTA V has actually sold about 3x as many copies as Skyrim to date. Over 90 million now. It's the best selling game ever in the US, also. Skyrim is the best selling Elder Scrolls game by a wide margin though, but GTA really is in a league of it's own, amongst other massive franchises like Tetris, Mario and Zelda.

It has best in class single and multiplayer, so not a surprise. If Elder Scrolls VI has online coop or whatever I'm sure it will do even better. Note I am a singleplayer-only kind of guy, so not saying this with any glee.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
10. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 23, 2018, 18:34 StingingVelvet

None of these awards ever mean anything in any medium, games or otherwise. It's all entirely subjective. It's all marketing.  

News Comments > Trump Calls Out Video Games
18. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 22, 2018, 22:53 StingingVelvet

Reactor wrote on Feb 22, 2018, 21:55:
Haha, what the heck are you talking about? Gun are the main problem. There are crazy people across the world, but when you have readily available guns you wind up with the huge issues the US has.

America definitely has cultural differences that contribute to its higher violence level, the most obvious being greater diversity and a history of oppression, frontier mindsets and ruthless capitalism.

News Comments > METAL GEAR SURVIVE Released
9. Re: METAL GEAR SURVIVE Released Feb 22, 2018, 17:43 StingingVelvet

Watched some videos and the food/water/stamina meters go down so damn fast, good lord. Might as well call it Stress: The Game.  

News Comments > R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax
18. Re: R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax Feb 22, 2018, 02:47 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2018, 20:59:
If that were true, violent media affecting kids, explain why we all didn't grow up to be mass-murders watching violent cartoons and TV shows. Spending my formative years in front of the boob tube watching Bugs Bunny dropping anvils on peoples heads never game me the impulse to do it. Nor did I ever fail to understand the difference between fact and fantasy. Somehow the overwhelming majority of people out there have watched violent media their whole lives without turning into mass-murders.

The answer is that you're way exaggerating what I said. It has an impact, which varies depending on the individual and the situation. That's a big reason why it should be handled by parents and teachers on a case by case basis, rather than stupid laws like these.

News Comments > R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax
2. Re: R.I. Proposes Violent Game Tax Feb 21, 2018, 19:40 StingingVelvet

As a sociology teacher I have to admit media has an effect on kids, but this isn't how you counter that. Instead it has to be parents, or sadly school systems when parents don't give a crap, who teach the children how to handle violent images and the difference between life and fantasy. 90% of parents would buy their kid Grand Theft Auto 5 without thinking twice, and that's a bigger deal than anything else on this subject.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2018, 23:09 StingingVelvet

Nucas wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 13:58:
i finally pulled the trigger on the hardware for a system rebuild on my game machine after going without for about half a year, i7-8700k and related accouterments. i was really hoping buttcoins would keep tumbling, video card prices were creeping back to sane for about 2 or 3 days there when the price was at 6000 (1060 6gbs were going for 320 NIB on ebay, now they're back up to like 500 bucks.) guess i'm going to have to keep making do with my GTX 770.

I built my new PC like 2-3 months ago and got the EVGA 1060 6GB for like $270. Had no idea how lucky I was.

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
46. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 18, 2018, 00:12 StingingVelvet

Yeah, tons of great games only exist because of Kickstarter, either the actual campaign or the proof of market. Jerykk's list is a great example.  

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
41. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 16:29 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 16:17:
It is pretty funny, no? I think multiplayer is where the main masses are at these days, sure exceptions. This game though once most play it, well after first release, agree it's pretty darn good.

Multiplayer and big open world games. Not much market out there for smaller scale single-player right now, which is what EA said about a Star Wars single-player game and were lynched for. They're just looking at the numbers though, they are what they are.

I'm eager for smaller scale projects to move forward from Baldur's Gate/Metroid homages to Morrowind/Deus Ex homages. That has to happen eventually right?

News Comments > Get Dungeons II Free on GOG
2. Re: Get Dungeons II Free on GOG Feb 16, 2018, 12:20 StingingVelvet

There's at least a chance I'll play this one, unlike the fighting game. Was happy to pay up for Torment, Shadow Warrior 2 and Thimbleweed Park as well.  

4507 Comments. 226 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo