Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Bulletstorm DLC Released

3. Re: Bulletstorm DLC Released May 20, 2011, 00:20 StingingVelvet

It's a great singleplayer game but the online modes are crap, so this DLC is kind of pointless.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Next Month

8. Re: PC Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Next Month May 19, 2011, 23:55 StingingVelvet

TurdFergasun wrote on May 19, 2011, 22:32:
i thought you'd love cookie cutter souless franchises, being the financial parasite you are.

My like or dislike of Call of Duty has absolutely nothing to do with how stupid it is to criticize a company for making a game 10+ million of people want to buy.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week

25. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 19, 2011, 23:54 StingingVelvet

GinRummy wrote on May 19, 2011, 22:09:
I'm apparently old school; I just CAN'T play an FPS view game without mouse inversion. I guess it's whatever you get used to. The standard a long time ago was what is now inverted, so newer gamers prefer the non-"flight control" style.

I've been playing FPS games since Doom and I don't recall inverted ever being the standard, or even common. In any case you just need to unlearn it... spend literally 2 or 3 days playing with it on normal and then BOOM, you'll be fine. I had to do that with console games, as I got used to inverted analog sticks way back and had to unlearn it eventually due to some games lacking the inverted option.

News Comments > PC Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Next Month

6. Re: PC Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Next Month May 19, 2011, 21:17 StingingVelvet

Herp derp they should stop making these games 10+ million people buy derpy derp cause I don't like them they're boring derpitty derp and stop making DLC for them too even though it sells millions too, cause I don't like it either derper dee derp!  

News Comments > New Duke Nukem Eternity

1. Re: New Duke Nukem Eternity May 19, 2011, 20:47 StingingVelvet

Any reason to use this over eDuke?  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week

1. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 19, 2011, 20:44 StingingVelvet

I want a permanent walk toggle, since capslock resets often. I would also like a junk category in the inventory menu. Also though it says you can skip cutscenes it doesn't actually work for me.

Otherwise game is damn near perfect if you ask me.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2 May 19, 2011, 15:58 StingingVelvet

Game is amazing. I thought the combat was bad at first but as soon as you get used to it everything clicks. Best looking game since Crysis as well, and maybe it's better than Crysis? Not sure.

In any case, awesome stuff. Hope it gets the mainstream press to give it the scores it deserves.

News Comments > Quote of the Day

9. Re: Quote of the  Day May 18, 2011, 12:02 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on May 18, 2011, 11:26:
Should and will are two different things. If the book industry had a method around resale for the past one hundred years you can bet at some point they would taken it.

Indeed. Game companies are fighting resale because they can and because consumers will likely accept it like they have Steam. If the next console generation requires you to register your game like Steam a percentage will bitch, a smaller percentage will boycott, but in the end it will be accepted.

If Warner Bros. and Pocket Books could do the same thing they would. Hell, they might as we go more and more digital.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer

44. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 17, 2011, 07:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2011, 12:25:
I have absolutely zero fear of a game being made unplayable by DRM. I know you know what I am talking about so don't play daft.

Let me rephrase: Online activations and limited installs risk games being rendered unplayable legally. Cracks are always an option, yes, but cracks are illegal and I have to go out of my way to download them. As a consumer, I shouldn't be forced to break the law or jump through hoops to play my games.

Despite what the DMCA says cracks could be viewed as legal to make personal backups. This is an area of law that needs to be fleshed out more, making final statements right now is silly. For instance the library of congress recently said it was a-okay to jailbreak an iPhone, not matter what the DMCA says. Hell if you read the DMCA right it says that looking through the file structure of a game is illegal.

Anyway, I know you don't really have a problem with "breaking the law" to get cracks, so I guess this is a pretend conversation?

News Comments > Why No Windows Fable II

4. Re: Why No Windows Fable II May 16, 2011, 11:56 StingingVelvet

This does not bode well for Halo 3 and Halo Reach PC versions.

If anyone cares.

42. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 16, 2011, 10:47 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 15, 2011, 18:14:
It's not irrelevant to me. I don't like online activations or limited installs. They carry the risk of making games unplayable if their publishers get shut down or they decide to discontinue the authentication servers. If a DRM-free game sells well, publishers may at least tone down their DRM, if not remove it completely.

That can never happen on the PC. DRM is irrelevant because it is made irrelevant on day one by the community. I have absolutely zero fear of a game being made unplayable by DRM. I know you know what I am talking about so don't play daft.

Jerykk wrote on May 15, 2011, 18:14:
I don't think anyone has issues with the concept of boxed copies. The problem with boxed copies is that they cost a lot of money to manufacture and distribute and that requires publishers, who in turn require DRM. If there were a DRM-free boxed copy of Witcher 2, I probably would have gone for it.

On a side note, is there any reason why you can't just pre-order the GOG version now and buy the boxed version in a year when it's much cheaper? The GOG release has digital versions of all the bonus stuff included with the boxed copies, so it's not like you'd be missing out on content. Your desire for a boxed copy is driven by collector's instinct but there's no reason why that instinct can't be fulfilled later on.

I'm going to do the opposite and buy the GOG version someday, for the artbook it comes with as well as supporting CDP. I just bought The Witcher again on GOG just to give them $5 and get a copy of the art book PDF.

As for boxed copies I know they support developers less, which is a shame. I've been buying PC games in boxes for 20 years though and I like doing it, so unless the only way to get a game is online I am going to keep buying boxes. The GOG version being DRM free does not matter to me, since every version is DRM free in reality.

40. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 15, 2011, 07:51 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2011, 23:03:
Like others have mentioned, I'd prefer to have a physical copy of the game with all the extra stuff. However, in this case, the implications of GOG's success far outweigh whatever my personal preferences may be. The more people that buy The Witcher 2 from GOG, the stronger the argument for DRM-free gaming. If you want a future without DRM, this is the first step.

Honestly DRM is irrelevant as you yourself know. I want boxed copies to continue being made during a time when many games are going digital only, so in a sense supporting the boxed copy is more important to me. On top of that if they didn't want people to buy it in a box they shouldn't have made one, and made one so deluxe and packed with goodies. If it was like a Valve release (just a disc in and piece of paper) then I probably would have got it on GOG and picked up the box in a couple years for $5.

35. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 21:47 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2011, 01:26:
If you've pre-ordered Witcher 2 from anywhere other than GOG, you need to cancel it and order from GOG. If the Witcher 2 sells well on GOG, it may help publishers see the light and be more lax on DRM in the future. It may also help GOG get more high-profile games, DRM-free. And of course, buying from GOG ensures that the developers see the most reward for their work.

Yes, every digital purchase should be on GOG. For us box collectors though it's a no-go, sadly.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation

11. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 8, 2011, 13:55 StingingVelvet

If I eventually get a console this gen it will still be the PS3. Lack of online multiplayer I would barely use anyway does not negate the fact that the PS3 has about 10 times more exclusives for a PC gamer than the 360 does.  

News Comments > Avadon: The Black Fortress and Demo Released

4. Re: Avadon: The Black Fortress and Demo Released May 4, 2011, 01:06 StingingVelvet

I don't care about graphics and such really, but this game is SO bland. I'm not sure why I would play an indie game that looks like this when it doesn't do anything a hundred plus RPGs that look and play better do better.

Story? Bland. World? Bland. Characters? Bland. What is the point?

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Interviews

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Interviews May 1, 2011, 07:18 StingingVelvet

I wonder if you can do these solo with your NPC companion. I'm not an MMO guy but I plan to buy this for some solo questing. It would be a shame to miss out on these flashpoints.  

News Comments > Portal 2 DLC This Summer

37. Re: Portal 2 DLC This Summer Apr 28, 2011, 06:16 StingingVelvet

I HAVE NO REAL INFORMATION BUT WILL BITCH ANYWAY WOOHA!  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Delayed

7. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Delayed Apr 28, 2011, 06:15 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 00:23:
To be fair, FEAR2 was developed by Monolith and most people still considered it a failure. FEAR simply didn't need sequels. It was a fully self-contained game that would have been better left alone. WB is just milking it at this point, just like Vivendi was before.

FEAR 2 was alright... better than a lot of other FPS games released in the past 5 years. It just wasn't anywhere near as good as FEAR, which makes people hate it. Sort of like Crysis 2.

This one looks even worse though.

News Comments > Firaxis RTS Plans, and Civilization Revolution II Cancelled

1. Re: Firaxis RTS Plans, and Civilization Revolution II Cancelled Apr 27, 2011, 19:27 StingingVelvet

CivRev was a surprise hit wasn't it? I wonder which sold better, that or Civ5.  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Delayed

1. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Delayed Apr 27, 2011, 19:25 StingingVelvet

Everything about this game screams fail at this point.  

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >