Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ] Older >

News Comments > Hitman: Absolution Interview

6. Re: Hitman: Absolution Interview Jun 11, 2011, 22:52 StingingVelvet

It does sound Conviction-ish, yet as Jerykk says Conviction was about the wholesale slaughter of everyone and this supposedly is not. We shall see.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 11, 2011, 10:52 StingingVelvet

I doubt it will lose money in the end, the fear for EA is that it will lose revenue. Instead of spending 300 million on this and making 350 million eventually they could have spent 300 million on several smaller projects and made over a billion.

That's how corporations think. Anyone who doesn't think this will make its money back is being silly if you ask me. That's not the point though.

News Comments > Quote of the Day

9. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 11, 2011, 08:43 StingingVelvet

Esoteric wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 04:18:
I understand why a lot of you don't want it now, but eventually it will be the norm. It could be 20, 50, 100 years from now, but the day when it becomes cheaper to do it that way rather than building your own system for the SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE, including mods, "ownership", etc., it just makes sense. The key is the "SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE." That's going to take quite a while, so I wouldn't worry about it anytime soon.

How could you ever own a streaming-only game? That development is impossible. Relying on the company to send you the data to play means never, ever owning it in any sense.

News Comments > Quote of the Day

2. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 10, 2011, 23:27 StingingVelvet

It's a future I won't be a part of there Cevat.  

News Comments > Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo "Horrendous Mistake"

23. Re: Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo Jun 10, 2011, 21:31 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 14:17:
Oh I'm sorry we forgot about the rainbow world of the industry as a whole.

Just saying, the damn thing sold 10 million right off the bat and we can't dismiss it. I'm not saying that's a positive... it's another example of how the mainstream gaming industry is changing into something I won't like anymore.

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 14:17:
In other horror news, Xbox Live will be "built in" to Windows 8. Source. Ugh.

That's bad. The worst part though is they will use it for nothing but online service games I bet, and for checking your Xbox scores.

14. Re: Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo Jun 10, 2011, 14:11 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 12:19:

I don't see how you can say that about Microsoft

Maybe they saw the Microsoft E3 conference.

Irrelevant to you and me maybe, but not to the industry.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Beta Early Next Year

8. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Beta Early Next Year Jun 10, 2011, 11:38 StingingVelvet

Darks wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 11:33:
That was the word I was given dude. Itís being made by the UBISOFT France division. The guys had a deep French accent. I spoke with several of the developers there and not one of them said yes there would be a PC version. There is only going to be a console version. I got pissed about it too. I watched the live demo and it looks really good, yes the colors are a lot brighter then usually. I got the feeling that was because of the Console.

I did look over and tried to play the other PC online version and it looks terrible graphically and the way it plays. Itís nothing more than another online Death match game. Developers havenít learned their lesson yet, if people want to play death match they will play COD of BF3. Not some crappy wana-be clone that looks and plays badly.

Yeah, looking at the official site now I only see Xbox and PS3 boxes. What a shame. Is there any real reason not to port an Xbox shooter to the PC? It's basically like free money, I will never understand why some multiplatform shooters don't make it to the PC.

Bad Company 2's PC version sold so well they made the PC the lead sku on Battlefield 3, but Ubisoft think Ghost Recon wouldn't even make the very small porting costs back? Insanity.

1. Re: Molyneux on Fable Kinect Demo "Horrendous Mistake" Jun 10, 2011, 11:34 StingingVelvet

If you listen to the giantbomb E3 podcasts, I think on day two specifically, someone talks about how he basically forced every journalist to sign the wall to see the demo. The same journalist also says the game is definitely on rails.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Beta Early Next Year

6. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Beta Early Next Year Jun 10, 2011, 11:08 StingingVelvet

Darks wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 10:28:
Got news for you all, this game is not coming out for the pc. I was at E3 had had a discussion with them about the game. Their thoughts, and get this. We are getting the online crappy version. The one with no story, No Coop, Death Match only. I looked it over while there and its utter shit.

If this is true I might give up on Ubisoft forever.

News Comments > Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media

16. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 21:40 StingingVelvet

Offline mode and no sub or I won't buy it, period. I played all my NWN and NWN2 offline by myself.

Not saying that's the right way to play or that they have to do this, just saying I personally have no interest otherwise.

News Comments > id Happy to be Done with Engine Licensing

31. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 9, 2011, 11:24 StingingVelvet

Overon wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 21:46:
I hope id becomes relevant again.

Their last game was a massive success, as was every game before that they made. Not sure what else you can ask for from a developer.

News Comments > AC: Revelations and CoJ: The Cartel Dates

1. Re: AC: Revelations and CoJ: The Cartel Dates Jun 9, 2011, 11:20 StingingVelvet

So we go from Call of Juarez being on PC first to Bound in Blood being on PC and console at the same time to now The Cartel being on console first and PC later.

Talk about a perfect capsule of how the last five years has gone.

Also if AC: Revelations comes out on PC this year I will eat my hat, as they say.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer

45. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 14:01 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 09:34:
HDMI to receiver, best of both worlds IMHO. Plopping down on the couch after a long day at the computer is wonderful but so are high resolution visuals with detail instead of dodgy framerates, upscaled video and jaggies.

I actually prefer to go into the computer room, close the door and be by myself with headphone on immersed in game worlds. When I game on the couch I have my wife around, sounds from the kitchen, interruptions, requests for the TV, etc. etc..

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 13:57 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 09:03:
People lament the open world stuff from Guerilla because it added a lot to the gameplay and generally complemented the geomod stuff. A return to it's roots is literally a step backwards and I doubt the narrative aspects of Red Faction are going to fill that void while the player literally tunnels through the experience.

That's really subjective. Personally if a game isn't an RPG I usually would rather it be somewhat linear. Crysis is a great midway point, as were the more exploration focused shooters of the past. A massive open world like Guerrilla for a game like Guerrilla is kind of meh to me.

I'm about 2 hours into this one and am so far enjoying it a lot more.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer

27. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Trailer Jun 8, 2011, 08:38 StingingVelvet

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 02:33:
Why do they present these games on the console? I don't get it. Is it to appeal more to the console gamers? Its such a ridiculous choice of platform when promoting a game through videos! The visuals are worse and the controller movement looks unnatural as hell...

1) Easier portability, 2) controllers are easier for demos, 3) vast majority of people watching and reading the ensuing journalism are console gamers and 4) most gaming journalists are console gamers.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo

108. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 8, 2011, 08:34 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 06:46:
You keep trying to sidestep the issue to avoid admitting you're wrong. There is no reason this game would be offered on the PC while ignoring the majority of its installed customer base short of laziness from the developer or publisher.

There is no technical or creative reason this game needed to have such poor controls and refuse to let the user rebind keys, none. We are talking pretty simple programming to write entries to a configuration file, I mean it's literally babies first VB class stuff. The problems with the control scheme and interface have nothing to do with its genre, that's a straw man you keep bringing up.

They will almost surely patch-in customized keybinds before or shortly after launch. I guess there's a chance they won't, but I doubt it.

In any event, as someone said below the PC has no standard controls. No, a controller and joystick do not come with a new PC, but neither do monitors or gaming mice or headphones or microphones or games themselves. The awesome part of PC gaming is customizing and the adaptability of the platform. Street Fighter on PC might be near impossible with a keyboard but thank God it's on PC because it looks amazing, runs amazing and the PC has a wealth of controller options.

As much as you and others might want to whine about it, making a PC game that needs or should be played with a controller is just fine. If you are stubborn and will never buy a controller then don't buy the game, problem solved.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 08:17 StingingVelvet

Thank God Volition actually made the PC version this time because it runs and plays much better than their recent ports through other companies. Mouse control is perfect and performance butter-smooth.

I also like the game itself. People who jumped on the series with Guerrilla seem annoyed, but to me this is a return to the origins of the series and the original Red Faction, which was an amazing game.

Honestly I prefer some linearity in shooters, or smaller open areas like Crysis had. Massive open worlds work better for RPGs than shooters for me.

64. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 18:53 StingingVelvet

gilly775 wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 18:18:
Still, we didn't play Diablo with a controller. Games like this just seem more natural with a mouse.

Actually I have never really liked the Diablo style games because I didn't like click-click-clicking on enemies and the general feel of it. It just didn't work for me. I played Marvel Ultimate Alliance with a gamepad though and it worked very well and was generally more fun for me... same thing here I guess.

It's all subjective.

59. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 18:06 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 17:16:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 16:54:
All these complaints about the UI and such are based on PC controls, which right or wrong are not the way to play this.

That's an absurd way to look at the situation.

If playing with PC controls isn't the right way to play it, then they shouldn't have the audacity to try and sell it to me as a PC game.

That's a really limited view some people have that I have never understood. Controllers have been part of PC gaming since the beginning and there have always been PC games that worked better with a controller, from Tomb Raider to Assassin's Creed.

I play PC games for a hell of a lot more reasons than just mouse and keyboard.

52. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 16:54 StingingVelvet

It's a console hack n' slash game really, more than a Diablo game. You need to play it with a pad and it plays great that way. All these complaints about the UI and such are based on PC controls, which right or wrong are not the way to play this.  

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 64.
< Newer [ 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ] Older >