Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned?

108. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:19 StingingVelvet

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:15:
Velvet if you want to buy Alice 2, its still on gamersgate, but I suggest you hurry.

I ordered it from amazon, as I always do. Unfortunately it will tie to Origin.

Oh and Velvet to me bigger issue is losing all the deals and sales that games receive on steam and how often they occur. I dont see EA doing much in terms of deals for their new games anytime soon if they go origin exclusive. This is big problem for me, because paying for a game is the most important part.

I can understand that concern. Still, EA do a lot of deals on their store and they have to approve all the deals on Steam, so I think in the end it might not be as bad as you think.

Also if their games tie to Origin you can count on boxed copies going on sale. Amazon, best buy and the rest will compete with each other and you can get the games cheaply that way, then tie them to the digital service and throw the box away if you don't want it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

106. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:15 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:09:
Is that really what we want to go to? Where a publisher sells its own games directly and that's it? That doesn't really sound all that great to me...

Yeah, I don't like it either. I've been bitching about it for 8 years, where have you been?

105. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:14 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:03:
The effect on the consumer is certainly less drastic. Whether it's morally ok in a business context is kind of besides the point here. Valve has a mechanism for allowing their products to be offered by competitors, we can argue all day whether its a good one or not and whether it was designed with too much self-interest but its there. EA isn't doing that here, they are actively singling out and excluding a specific competitor. It's a different situation regardless of how you or anyone else feels about the players involved.

I just see that as hypocrisy. Whether I agree with the tactic or not the point is if you have your own store and you have your own product of course you are going to sell that product only at your store if you think you can pull it off. For the exact reason Valve did it with Half-Life 2 EA want to do it with TOR and Crysis 2, and maybe more... it brings people to their new store.

The motivations are exactly the same. You can't call special hatred on EA just because they're bigger.

You just listed several reasons why you should be against this and the only reason you seem to be supporting it is because Steam is involved. Its exactly the kind of emotional response people are accusing you of in the first place. Whether people think of themselves as a "steam gamer" or how you interpret their behavior on forums has nothing to do with the situation.

You're not getting it. I DO NOT WANT ORIGIN TIED TO MY BOXED COPIES. Is that clear enough? I am not doing a happy dance because of more DRM. What I am saying is that as a boxed copy buyer I have had Steam shoved down my throat for 8 years whether I liked it or not. Steam losing some of that market-share and Origin being shoved down some people's throats for a while is a good thing RELATIVELY, because these companies are not going to stop with this DRM bullshit and it's better to have more than one.

99. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:00 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 08:40:
I'm honestly not sure if SV does it on purpose or not at this point. He seems to "coincidentally" land on the opposite side of everything released when it comes to popular opinion. It's almost like a hipster sort of antipathy for anything that people in general enjoy/dislike. But if he wants to like bad games for the sake of doing so or genuinely just likes (imho) awful games then that's his right.

I do think his opinions on Steam are totally nonsensical though. He constantly berates the community for being wishy washy with Steam but he does the exact same thing. Origin exclusivity is no better than Steam exclusivity and neither one is good for brick and mortar sales which is what he prefers. At least in the case of Steam Valve has proven to be the lesser of two evils, they work closely with retail partners and are fairly pro-consumer when it comes to business practices. EA is only really interested in taking over the market and has screwed the consumer too many times to count.

Your confusion lies squarely on the fact that you do not understand the difference between my preferences and my comments on the industry. I've been clear for years on what I want, boxed retail releases with a disc check offline option and DRM free downloads that are just an exe on a page like GOG or Gamersgate. THAT is what I like, what I prefer, and what I want. MP3s went DRM free and I would love for games to do the same. Won't happen though.

Also everyone thinks I hate Steam because I have issues with it and think it's too powerful. I buy Steam games and for multiplayer I prefer Steamworks, I have said this dozens of times but the next thread where I make a comment about Steam people dredge up this insane Steam hate I supposedly have. It's a strawman, deflection, silliness.

The core point is that Steam is too big. Steam is too powerful. Steam was on the road to becoming PC gaming in and of itself... are you a PC gamer? Nope, I am a Steam gamer! Indies and small studios talked about launching on "Xbox, PS3 and Steam" instead of "PC." I DO NOT LIKE THIS. I DO NOT WANT THIS. The PC is an open platform and I want many different avenues and pathways to buying games. I do not want the PC to be more console-like with a centralized authority running a controlled platform you have to go to in order to get anything. Steam is already on the verge of being that, over half the boxed games I buy go through Steam.

Do I want to buy Alice 2 and get an Origin activation prompt? No. Is that kind of shit EVER going away at this point? No. If it's there do I want Steam to be weakened? Yes.

Fryz consider this your answer too because I don't want to wade through your bulllshit.

96. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 12:51 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 07:02:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:43:
The simple fact is that Starcraft 2, WoW, Minecraft and Sims 3 (until recently) all sold extremely well with no Steam versions available. There is absolutely no reason to doubt Battlefield and Mass Effect can't do the same.

Yeah no reason at all except that those franchises core base is on all on Steam and the ones you listed have a far higher casual sellthru rate. You seem to pop up in every Steam topic with hypocrisy though so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at your failure in understanding whats going on here. There is a big difference between a publisher who makes a hundred games a year telling you that the only place you can get something is from their store and a developer who makes one franchise every three years.

Are you dumb enough to believe EA would stop with Steam? They would just as happy not to give everyone that 40% cut. They will drive everything to Origin if possible. They won't stop at digital either, publishers have made their dislike of the power retail markets hold quite clear. The day we don't have disks is coming and things like this decrease consumer buying power which just hastens that.

So it's perfectly fine to limit people to your online distribution system as long as you only make a game a year or so like Blizzard, Valve and Stardock, but it's massively evil if you make half a dozen games a year?

And I am the hypocrite here?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 12:47 StingingVelvet

Good God you guys are so focused on my supposed Steam hate I can't even fucking debate with you.  

50. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 03:43 StingingVelvet

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 03:29:
Fact is that if you can't buy EA games anywhere but origin then you will be ra*ed pricewise and won't enjoy sale deals that for example steam or impulse offers on regular basis. Why do you think EA prefers to have their games on ORIGIN only? This way noone can buy their games cheaper and thus are forced to pay their ridiculous prices. Oh and when I mean that this applies big time to some people in other countries trying to buy games on origin.

Steam, Impulse and the rest can't discount EA games without EA's say-so anyway. Also Valve certainly lower their prices despite only selling their games in one place. It's a revenue booster whether the games are available elsewhere or not.

Some people say that steam need competition, thats true, lets have competition, but that would mean that both steam and origin would offer EA games, then it would be actual competition, when EA only sells their games through origin, what kind of competition to steam is that? User is not visiting origin to possibly buy a game because its a nice deal there or better system, etc but because he cant buy it anywhere else. You call this competition? rofl.

Well, show me where Valve games are available digitally outside of Steam and I will agree EA is being naughty. You can't though. Fact is anyone starting a digital service would make their first-party software exclusive. Valve do it. Blizzard do it. Now it looks like EA will finally do it. Nothing wrong with it, and the competition takes place across third-party software and market-share as a whole. Having one all-powerful service like Steam is bad mojo.

The simple fact is that Starcraft 2, WoW, Minecraft and Sims 3 (until recently) all sold extremely well with no Steam versions available. There is absolutely no reason to doubt Battlefield and Mass Effect can't do the same.

31. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 02:46 StingingVelvet

As some others have already said this is nothing new. When Half-Life 2 came out and demanded I use Steam it was like an ass raping, and at the time EVERYONE hated that shit. We put up with it though, because what were we gonna do? Not play Half-Life 2? Fast forward 8 years or whatever and suddenly everyone loves that shit and jump my ass for not kissing Valve's feet.

This is the same. Origin actually works pretty well from what I have seen. People will download it to play Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 because they have to, and then they will get used to it, and then this bitching will stop. Or at least it will for the most part, there will always be assholes like me who dislike tying our games to any service or client.

And whether "OMG I BUY EVERYTHING ON STEAM" fanboys want to admit it or not more stores is good for PC gaming. One all-powerful platform run by Valve is not good for PC gaming, even if you think Valve are angels on Earth. "Wait!" you say, "this means EA will set the price for EA games!" Guess what old chap, they already do! Steam and other digital stores cannot lower prices on EA games without EA letting them, so this effectively makes no difference. Also while Steam is the ONLY place you can get Valve games they still lower in price, do they not? It's a revenue spurring thing to do whether you're the only seller or not.

Anyway, this is likely a test-bed. I doubt it's a sure thing that future EA titles will be Origin-only. They're gonna see how this does for a while and then decide, surely.

30. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 02:40 StingingVelvet

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 00:54:
OH yea, if ME3 is exclusive to origin only that means I wont be buying it, I bought me1 and 2 on steam and if its not on steam I wont be buying it, but I am not saying I wont be playing it.

I wondered how long it would be until someone broke out this bullshit. 16 posts... I'm actually surprised it took that long.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 15, 2011, 02:35 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 23:33:
Unless Origin offers lower prices and DRM-free games, I have no reason to use it over Steam. EA should be trying to gain customers by offering a better service, not by making their games exclusive to their service.

Tell that to Valve, who basically built their service by making it the only way to play Valve games.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 14, 2011, 23:24 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:57:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:52:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:20:
Oh dear. EA really wants to lose money, don't they?

I welcome it. Steam is too big.

Rotfl

Great counter-argument, I was truly put in my place.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Alice: Madness Returns Jun 14, 2011, 22:52 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 22:20:
Oh dear. EA really wants to lose money, don't they?

I welcome it. Steam is too big.

News Comments > Quote of the Day

11. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 19:16 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 16:40:
Yeah, I save so much money buying on amazon it's insane, yet people always say "Steam is so cheap bro!" Baffles me.

People are usually referring to steam sales when they say that, not new game pricing. There is also the instant access factor which has tangible value to most people.

Most of the sales are on old stuff that you could also get cheaper or almost as cheap on amazon as well. Obviously that is not always the case though, Steam does have the occasional deal amazon doesn't match.

Still, I think your later point is the real reason. For many people they have switched over to digital and there's no looking back, even if they are paying more. I posted in another forum's bargain thread about FEAR 3 being only $25 on amazon for pre-order a while back ($45 with $20 gift cert) and most people were like "wow wish that was on Steam" and what-not.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 14, 2011, 19:10 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 19:03:
Ironically, I found the modern elements of DNF (health regen, checkpoints, QTEs, weapon limits) to be the most irritating.

I don't mind the recharging health as much as I thought I would, I guess because the idea of an ego shield is amusing and finding ego-boosting things in the environment is fun. Checkpoints I have gotten used to for linear games and it doesn't really bother me anymore to be honest. It does make it more of a game than quicksaving, as there are consequences to failing at a battle.

QTEs and weapon limits I agree with though... massively irritating, and the second one has NO place in a game like this.

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 14, 2011, 19:06 StingingVelvet

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 18:53:
Sure, the HL games were great, and they're fun to play again due to the nostalgia factor. But if they had released today? They would be blasted for ignoring all of the advancements in the genre, regardless of the story.

Hahaha... that might be true but is by no means a good thing. Half-Life is still better than almost any FPS released this decade.

News Comments > Quote of the Day

8. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 14, 2011, 16:20 StingingVelvet

Vazz wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 15:45:
I only buy retail except when steam has good $10 and under sales. Amazon always has the best prices and I like my boxed copies.

Yeah, I save so much money buying on amazon it's insane, yet people always say "Steam is so cheap bro!" Baffles me.

In any case if a game is digital delivery only I will still buy it, but I much prefer a box. I also think that killing the box has negative effects companies don't realize. Resale, collecting, shopping at a store, holding something you buy in your hands and feeling like you own it... these things can boost sales. These things are important to large swaths of people.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 14, 2011, 16:12 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 15:10:
What exactly did you enjoy about it? I found it pretty predictable and bland. The interaction with the environment was the only thing that really brought me back and that doesn't hold up all game unfortunately.

Mostly the humor and style of it. I liked walking around the penthouse and the "Duke Vault." I enjoyed the mocking of certain far-left foreign policy initiatives in the President conversation. I like almost every line that Duke says, they make me chuckle.

I also liked the interactivity... playing real pinball this time, throwing things at aliens. Gaining health bar from doing ego-boosting things is amusing. The racecar section controlled somewhat poorly but was still fun. The shootouts are pretty standard but enjoyable (did Duke3D really do anything special with shooting?).

It's no modern FPS marvel like Crysis was or FEAR but it seems fun. I am having fun.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Duke Nukem Forever Jun 14, 2011, 15:07 StingingVelvet

I just played the first hour or so and honestly really enjoyed it. Not comparing it to 3D or whatever else, but I simply had a good time playing it. We'll see if that continues...

Turning off processing effects actually makes the game look pretty good.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Features Trailer Jun 12, 2011, 18:09 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 13:35:
With marketing you're going to be talking more like half a billion. So unless they're doing WoW like numbers for the next 5 years - which just will not happen, not even close - it's going to be a loss.

1 million subs for a year would be 180 million dude. Plus the boxed sales, digital sales and whatever DLC they might offer, plus the fact they will likely be around a LONG time, means they will have no problem breaking even eventually.

News Comments > Hitman: Absolution Interview

9. Re: Hitman: Absolution Interview Jun 12, 2011, 14:58 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 12, 2011, 08:38:
It's pretty obvious that they're trying to make the game more appealing to shooter fans. I don't really mind as long as stealth is still a viable option. Conviction wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't force you into gunfights and essentially force you to kill people.

I liked in the last level of Conviction where you are tunneled down this thin path and suddenly like 10 guards spawn in front of you. Gears of War time!

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 63.
< Newer [ 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ] Older >