Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ] Older >

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up

97. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 16, 2011, 03:14 StingingVelvet

I do think the reviews for this have been insanely low, even if the game is indeed below average. I'm speaking in relative terms here, relative to how average games are rated. Duke is getting Turning Point: Fall of Liberty numbers and as an owner of that game who played about 3 hours of it I can promise you Duke Nukem Forever is ten times better than that piece of shit.

I think the humor has a lot to do with it. I don't like speaking in generic political terms because I think they are too broad to really define people, but to try and put it simply a lot of journalists are inherently liberal and politically correct. The media fucking pounds political correctness into our skulls constantly and journalists view themselves as catalysts for social change. Read comments about games like The Witcher and Duke Nukem from gaming journalists and that is clearly an influence if you ask me.

Am I saying the game deserves high praise and solid reviews? No. Am I saying every low review is influenced? No. What I am saying is that scoring a game like this in the sub-5 range compared to how the industry typically treats releases of this nature shows that there is a sense of "open season" on the game, and that could very well have a lot to do with hating what it stands for or the style of humor it presents.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam

34. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:50 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:44:
Steam hasn't the slightest problem with dlc, as long as its not exclusively tied to a service thats not steam.

Interesting. So you have to sell the DLC within the game and also not sell it on Steam. That combo is the one-two punch that got Steam to remove the game? I am assuming so since both those things have happened independently before, just not at the same time?

Actually Dragon Age's DLC was sold within the game and only through Bioware's shop. So is it the Direct2Drive part that makes it worse? I didn't even know they were using D2D.

24. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:23 StingingVelvet

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:21:
Negative, the version of alice 2 sold on gamersgate does not require or use origin to run the game, I did check on this , if it did it would be listed under requirements, thats how gamersgate does their requirements and provides info like this.

Yeah, it says SecuROM. I wonder if that is a misprint. The boxed version certainly ties to Origin.

18. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:15 StingingVelvet

Thinking about it now Dragon Age: Origins lets you buy DLC within the game... that makes me seriously wonder what is so different about Crysis 2. Could the latest patch have put Origin into the game for DLC purposes? Did Valve specifically ban Origin?

This is really interesting.

15. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:06 StingingVelvet

Overon wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 17:04:
KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 16:58:
Sell content from within itself rule is weird because games that used gfwl but were sold on steam such as dow2, they allowed content to be sold from within game yet they were never pulled from steam.
They could have changed the rules recently and applied non retroactively possibly.

Or they could have given Live an exemption for one reason or another. For one thing Live will be built into Windows 8, which could cause problems if Steam "bans" it from working inside games.

13. Re: EA Didn't Pull Crysis 2 from Steam Jun 15, 2011, 17:02 StingingVelvet

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 16:48:
I would wait for statement from valve before making judgement, because alice 2 is not made by crytek and its not on steam, yet it is available on gamersgate, even though origin states its exclusive to origin. So... confused here, will alice 2 be available on steam after 17th? why is alice 2 on gamersgate even tough supposed to be exclusive to origin?

The Gamersgate version likely uses Origin as it's DRM, making the game "only on Origin" despite being sold elsewhere. The same thing applies to any Steamworks game, you can buy them in a box or on other store sites but they are still Steam games, and in effect "only on Steam."

EA made a special version of Dragon Age 2 for Steam that did not tie to Origin but it remains to be seen whether they do the same thing with Alice or not. If they don't that's a pretty good indication all future EA titles will tie to Origin and thus not be sold on Steam. We shall see!

News Comments > 2K on DNF PR

15. Re: 2K on DNF PR Jun 15, 2011, 15:57 StingingVelvet

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 15:48:
Exactly. From what I've read on some other forums, this attitude towards the press is pretty common for Take-Two. The only reason they fired the agency this time is because he revealed that publicly.

There are definitely reviewers I would not bother sending copies to if I ran a game company. Jim Sterling is probably the perfect example.

Duke was bashed by pretty much everyone though, it's not some isolated thing you can put on a few bad reviewers.

News Comments > 2K on DNF PR

8. Re: 2K on DNF PR Jun 15, 2011, 15:30 StingingVelvet

Losing 2K does not leave a lot on this guy's client page: http://www.therednergroup.com/clients.html  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned?

128. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 14:31 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 14:25:
How would that be worth it? How would publishers going exclusive EVER lead to a better gaming market?

I feel like I have already written a lot about why I feel that way. Valve has too much power over other developers and publishers and they do use this power. I want them to have less power, and I think one developer having that much power is bad for gaming.

Obviously priorities differ.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Decimation Pack Released

6. Re: Crysis 2 Decimation Pack Released Jun 15, 2011, 14:23 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 14:19:
Huh, interesting.

Indeed.

One thing maybe we can all agree on is that it's good to see these companies battling over the PC. It shows the PC is making good money for all involved.

124. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 14:15 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 14:12:
See that's whats off with your perspective though. You should be wanting games offered on as many stores as possible, steam included. It's only a good thing for you as a consumer, there is no downside. Even if you never bought another DD title in your lifetime you'd still get the benefit from price competition.

You might be right that my intense desire for Steam to be less powerful (note: not a hatred of Steam) might be coloring my opinions. That's not really a perversion though, more of an example of how important I personally believe it is that people spread out their purchasing. If it takes exclusivity to get people to look elsewhere, maybe it's worth it?

4. Re: Crysis 2 Decimation Pack Released Jun 15, 2011, 14:12 StingingVelvet

Seems I might have been right:

EA says Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam by Valve for violating their regulations.

122. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 14:03 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:58:
Put differently, let's assume even despite the lack of evidence that you're right and the majority of PC gamers will only buy things on Steam. Do they only buy things on Steam because....its Steam? No. They buy things on Steam for specific reasons that differ person to person. To generalize a bit though, they buy things on Steam because it matches their desired feature set and price standards. If something else had better community features or standard community features but better prices then it would compete with Steam. The only product even coming close to this was Impulse which was still quite pitiful in execution when compared directly.

Origin right now is actually very Steam-like and has the added bonus of not needing to run when playing the games, but that's beside the point.

You might be right that Steam is not the dominant presence I am saying it is, but when I read gaming media and forum posts it sure seems like it is. I have also seen indie devs comment that if they can't get on Steam they won't be successful. I'm not going to google for those right now though, so you can choose to believe that or not.

In any case from my perspective Valve has too much control over PC gaming. That perspective might be colored by my tendencies and purchasing desires, surely. I can't really deny that. For whatever reason I believe that though the end point is I see less games on Steam as a good thing for that reason. The concerns you and Creston are expressing about accounts and all that are valid, but not my priority.

118. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:54 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:52:
Confused

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 02:46:
And whether "OMG I BUY EVERYTHING ON STEAM" fanboys want to admit it or not more stores is good for PC gaming.

To which I replied that more STORES is good for PC gaming, but that's not what EA is doing. It's doing the dreaded "Every publisher sell their own games" horseshit. (and if they're succesful, you can rest assured lots more publishers are quickly going to follow suit.)

So yeah, that is kinda what you said... :)

Fair enough. What I meant was more stores means Steam is less and less the only game in town for most people.

116. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:49 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:40:
For example, I have no problem with EA only offering The Old Republic on their own store. That is their right. I may not like it personally but it is different from them excluding specific competitors. The exclusivity is counter-balanced by the fact that they are limiting their audience. I have a problem with them saying you can get it at every store but oh whoops except we don't like this one. As has been explained twice now, they are two very different situations.

Dude, it's their right to sell the game wherever they want. Steam does have certain restrictions on games being sold there and if EA want to work outside of that who are you or anyone else to tell them no?

Steam to me represents an Xbox Live sort of platform on the PC. Valve has regulations, an approval process and other such things. The guys behind Gemini Rue couldn't get the game to sell on Steam because Valve said it looked "too old" despite the fact it was reviewed in PC Gamer and was a big hit for adventure game fans. EA saying "no thanks" to that stuff is just fine with me.

And Valve deciding what they sell is fine too of course. The core problem is so many people acting like Steam is the only place to buy games, effectively making Valve's standards extremely important to PC gaming as a whole. THAT is why I want them to be less powerful.

1. Re: Crysis 2 Decimation Pack Released Jun 15, 2011, 13:45 StingingVelvet

Are there non-Steamworks games where you can buy new content from within the game on Steam?

This might answer why the game was pulled. Probably not though.

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up

63. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 15, 2011, 13:44 StingingVelvet

I like the game. It's a good time and nowhere near a "2" or whatever else some of these reviewers are giving it. It does seem like they are treating it as a punching bag for whatever reason.

That said I do not agree with withholding previews and review copies from any of those sites. Well... Destructoid maybe, they're disgusting.

113. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:39 StingingVelvet

Just posted this on GOG...

Let me add a new perspective here.

Does anyone have an issue with indie developers only selling their games on their websites? Isn't the wonderful thing about the PC the fact that you can make a game and sell a game on your website and no one can tell you to do anything else? I love that, and I try to buy from indies on their website as much as possible.

Now... isn't this just EA doing the same thing? "We made a PC game and you can buy it on our website." Same exact thing.

Keeping this in mind, and also keeping in mind that other publishers like Activision, Valve and Stardock do this same exclusive thing without screams from gamers, and I really think this ENTIRE thing boils down to "I don't like EA."

And I don't ride that pony.

News Comments > THQ On Dawn of War III

21. Re: THQ On Dawn of War III Jun 15, 2011, 13:38 StingingVelvet

DoW2 was one of the few "RTS" games I ever bought, because really it was more of a tactical RPG. If they go back to more traditional RTS gaming, or more online stuff, then I won't be interested.  

111. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 15, 2011, 13:31 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:25:
That doesn't even make sense and no, I don't want another caps heavy explanation, I get what you mean but it doesn't make sense in the context of this topic and situation. You are basically saying you are glad Steam is "being taken down a peg" or something equally silly. Regardless of how anyone feels about DRM, this is a decidely anti-competitive consumer gesture that has a very negative precedent. Just because it's bad for Steam doesn't mean its good for the consumers or the market in general.

You and Creston have both used this "good for the market" thing, which I don't think I ever said in regards to this entire thing. All I said is Steam being less powerful is good for the market, and I completely stand by that statement. Get these people who only use Steam to expand their reach.

EA tying everything to Origin is not good for the market, no. I just said it was good in the sense that it might knock Steam around a bit. I don't celebrate the fact itself and as I have said hundreds of times I want disc checks, not Origin or Steam or Impulse or anything else. I want games as a product, not a service. I know that is not going to happen though, so if we're forced to deal with clients and services I want Steam to be less powerful, and this works to that goal.

In any case if you don't agree you don't agree, that's fine. My main thing is just stop acting like I have this rabid illogical Steam hate that influences everything I am saying. I do not hate Steam I just think it's too big. If GOG was the only way to get half the games that come out on PC I would complain about that too.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 62.
< Newer [ 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ] Older >