Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ] Older >

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Console Beta in January

1. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Console Beta in January Jun 21, 2011, 17:10 StingingVelvet

Worth noting that word from E3 was that this game won't even come out on the PC. I made a thread on the official forum asking about it and the community rep said "no information yet about PC release" or something to that effect.

It is up for pre-order on the Ubisoft shop though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 3

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - F.E.A.R. 3 Jun 21, 2011, 17:07 StingingVelvet

Oh hey it's Steamworks. That's like 5 games in a row I got from amazon that tied to Steam, yet I am completely irrational about worrying Steam has too much power in the PC gaming arena of course. HAR HAR ROLLSEYES SMILEY!

Anyway, this game auto-detects a 5 button mouse so that's promising. Haven't started playing yet though.

News Comments > Quote of the Day

8. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 20, 2011, 23:38 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 19:09:
I think if it wasn't for Blizzard and Modern Warfare, their ass would be grass right now.

The reality is they are coasting on these two while they try to build future franchises. Nothing is brewing yet though.

News Comments > On Red Orchestra 2 Ranked Servers and Anti-Cheat Measures

20. Re: On Red Orchestra 2 Ranked Servers and Anti-Cheat Measures Jun 19, 2011, 19:49 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Jun 19, 2011, 19:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2011, 19:28:
Indeed, the choice is BF3 - i am sick to death of WW2 shooters

Considering how overdone modern warfare shooters are compared to WW2 shooters, this comment is sweet irony.

Yeah, both are over-saturated at this point and at least WW2 has been absent for a few years. We need more civil war shooters like Darkest of Days! Haha...

News Comments > Game Reviews

4. Re: Game Reviews Jun 19, 2011, 01:10 StingingVelvet

Hunted on PC Gamer doesn't mention at all that you can play it straight up 100% as a shooter and that it comes with a level editor.

It's still not that great a game, but a thorough review would be nice.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited

8. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 19, 2011, 01:06 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 21:28:
Yeah, you can play the game by yourself. I'm just wondering how implementing co-op at all affected the level design.

Heavily I'm sure. Still the fact that the other brother isn't even there in singleplayer is a godsend. No waiting for awkward AI to pull a lever or reloading because the AI died.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited

6. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 20:13 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 19:42:
Horror requires total immersion into the gameworld. Co-op completely undermines that by constantly reminding you that are playing a game with a friend. That said, even if F3AR were single-player only, it would still feel completely redundant. FEAR was a wholly self-contained experience. It didn't need sequels or expansion packs.

I believe, and this based on years old previews so who knows, that FEAR 3 does not have the other character there if you play solo. From what I recall reading they remove the second character entirely from gameplay if you play by yourself.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution

3. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Jun 18, 2011, 12:59 StingingVelvet

Better to get those Apogee games on GOG I should think.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned?

162. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 18, 2011, 00:04 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 17:56:
You already tried that tactic and I already debunked it. Acting like there is no difference between an indie developer offering a game somewhere and EA saying everyone but Steam can have it on purpose is just asinine. You're just posting in circles at this point to get the last word. In the future you should try looking at announcements without prejudice before weighing in on them, your comments here have made little sense from the beginning.

Yes, and your tactic of just saying "har har your shit makes no sense so I am right" is not exactly blowing my mind either man.

I said my peace, I believe in what I said. I couldn't care less if buying from EA is the only way to buy EA games, what I care about is that no one can tell EA or any other dev/pub what they can do on the PC. You're free to disagree as long and as hard as you want.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage

34. Re: Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage Jun 18, 2011, 00:01 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 20:56:
As much as I hate to say it, that's not going to happen. The console market is simply too big for publishers to ignore. Sure, a big-budget, high-profile PC exclusive might sell a few million copies but that's not enough these days. CoD sells 10+ million each year and Epic is expecting GoW3 to sell over 6 million. Unless a big-budget game belongs to a genre that does poorly on consoles, like MMO or RTS, it will not be PC-exclusive. Slick graphics are all well and good but the popularity of consoles shows that consumers care more about convenience and accessibility than quality.

The real hope is that PC sales can reach a point where the lack of licensing costs and being able to sell directly to the consumer means the actual profit level on PC is comparable to consoles. From Dice's comments it sounds like Bad Company 2 pretty much hit that point already.

When that is the case a PC focus is more justifiable if developers want it, which Dice did.

News Comments > QUAKE "Reboot" Possible

74. Re: QUAKE Jun 17, 2011, 23:56 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 17:39:
While I'd love to see another Quake game, I'm pretty sure it would be nothing like the originals. Carmack essentially said in an interview that id isn't going to make big-budget PC exclusives ever again. That means any new Quake game would be multiplatform and thus, designed for gamepads. Quake + gamepads = not Quake.

I was finishing Red Faction Armageddon the other day and damn the end of that game is crazy. You are constantly being swarmed and surrounded by enemies pretty much like the old days of Quake and Serious Sam. I wondered how the hell consoles could handle that with those analog pads.

Turns out that like Call of Duty the game has a mechanic on a gamepad where when you hit the aim button it auto-locks to the nearest enemy, removing the need to really aim at all. Using this mechanic (and turning it off on PC) might make real fast-paced shooters more common in modern times.

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up

117. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 17, 2011, 16:49 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 11:18:
It's also that puzzles made sense in the context of HL2. I don't think they'd make as much sense in DNF, not that I've yet played. It's like if you put Portal puzzles into Serious Sam - no one would enjoy them even if they love Portal.

Duke3D was as much about finding keys and passages as it was combat though. DNF just replaces the keys with physics puzzles.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City & GFWL

59. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 16:48 StingingVelvet

Theo wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 09:12:
TV is 55; to be honest i really dont think the quality of the game is worse on PC or 360, its largely the same (certainly was that way with the last one); therefore ill end up getting it on the xbox.

If it was a multi platform shooter (like rage) id be getting it on the PC obviously. I just think its one of those games that i prefer on a console.

besides i am allowed to smoke in the TV room, not the computer room (its in the bed room).

It's your setup man, whatever works for you. I just get confused by PC gamers sometimes saying one game or another "plays better on a console" since the PC can completely emulate the console experience with controllers and such. It sounds like for you it's more about wanting to sit on the couch whenever possible though, am I right?

For me personally I actually prefer gaming at my PC. For one thing I have a damn comfy chair that is just as good as my couch. For another thing I am tucked away from the wife and other distractions so that I can get more immersed in games.

What works for me obviously is not the same for everyone.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City & GFWL

58. Re: Batman: Arkham City & GFWL Jun 17, 2011, 16:45 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 08:50:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 01:46:
Use an offline profile.

Better yet download a crack. I don't like GFWL, it has zero beneficial purpose and typically just introduces issues. Batman was such a great game that it's not worth skipping though, you can easily solve the GFWL problem by removing it.

True, true. Still it's easy to just use an offline profile and set GFWL to no notifications. Takes only a few clicks and you're off and running with no DRM or annoyances.

Of course now they have that "zero day piracy protection" bullshit.

News Comments > The Old Republic Doesn't Require Origin

62. Re: The Old Republic Doesn't Require Origin Jun 17, 2011, 16:40 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 14:08:
You just tell steam NOT to auto login to friends when you run it. Its in steam settings. You are invisible then unless/until you log into the friends part of steam. I think sometimes you need to sign into friends to play multiplayer, but all single player stuff has worked fine for me doing it this way.
Doing it this way means you don't have 5 seconds where you ARE online while you are trying to tell it to set friends offline. Instead it starts up in the friends not logged in mode.

This is all different from the full steam offline mode. This isn't offline steam mode, this is just having friends set so its not logged into friends part.

Yes. I have Steam set to not sign in to friends and I have the in-game Steam overlay turned off as well. Doing this makes Steam virtually invisible expcept the for initial login when you launch a Steam game. When I play online games like Left 4 Dead I turn all that stuff back on.

Games for Windows has the same thing, you can turn of all notifications. The issue with GFWL is that you sign-in in-game and it can sometimes take a while, which means with notifications off you're kind of sitting there wondering what is happening.

Origin and Impulse don't even need to be running when you launch a game.

61. Re: The Old Republic Doesn't Require Origin Jun 17, 2011, 16:37 StingingVelvet

Bhruic wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 10:30:
what makes you think they gonna magically start to offer as many sales and deals on origin knowing well that those games are not offered anywhere else? IN fact they can even charge more than before.

How about a basic understanding of economics? You're acting like they are going to have a monopoly product, but that's not the relevant bit, even if it were true. EA may be the only one to digitally distribute their products (and barring SWTOR, we are only speculating that that will happen), but their products are in competition with all the other games out there. If EA were to say "Ha ha, you have to buy our games at Origin, so we are going to charge $100 for them all!", people would simply stop buying EA games, and buy the games of companies that were charging less.

In other words, EA is in competition for finite entertainment dollars. If people don't spend them on EA products, they will spend them on other products. So it is in EA's best interests to entice people to spend them on EA products. That is almost certain to include sales and discounts, because those are good ways to entice people to spend money.

Great post and 100% true.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned?

156. Re: Crysis 2 Steam Crisis, Origin Exclusivity Planned? Jun 17, 2011, 16:33 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 08:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 23:38:
The only bad to come of this would be if Origin becomes like Steam is today, then we traded one dictator for another.

No it's not the only bad thing, I explained it to you in detail for almost two pages. Anything that removes consumer choice is bad in more ways than one, particularly for people who like to shop across multiple vendors.

And I repeat: if an indie dev says "hey come get this at my website" is he being evil? Should he also work out some deal with stores like Steam or else he is being uncompetitive?

I view the PC as an open platform because anyone can make a game and sell a game however they want. If EA want to sell only on Origin I fully support their decision to do so, because it means nothing comes between them and the consumer. Having to deal with and perhaps modify your game to please Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Valve are the kinds of things I very much dislike. If Steam continues to grow and be essential to selling games on the PC then Valve has in effect "yay or nay" control over what succeeds on the PC.

Me no likey.

I understand your priorities are elsewhere, but those are YOUR priorities.

News Comments > QUAKE "Reboot" Possible

47. Re: QUAKE Jun 17, 2011, 16:29 StingingVelvet

That would be interesting to see. I do think Quake 2 and 4 did the Strogg story about as much and as well as you can do it.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage

20. Re: Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage Jun 17, 2011, 16:28 StingingVelvet

It looks a lot worse in comparison than I thought it would, honestly. I assumed they had some trick that would make them largely indistinguishable. Can't get blood from a stone and all that though I guess.

In any case the larger maps and 64 players are the real reasons to go PC.

21. Re: The Old Republic Doesn't Require Origin Jun 17, 2011, 04:22 StingingVelvet

InBlack wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 03:56:
And why the fuck would an MMO require ANOTHER security and authentication layer on top of the one that the servers will already be running...

Fucking spindoctors are spinning this like they are doing something for the commmuuuniiitty...

They clarified this because when they announced it would only be sold digitally on Origin a lot of people assumed it would run THROUGH Origin. They're just stopping people from assuming that and clearly stating it will work like a normal MMO.

Actually the Origin "DRM" so far works similarly. While Dragon Age 2 and Alice 2 both activate through Origin and tie to your EA/Origin account neither have anything to do with Origin after that unless you want them to.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 60.
< Newer [ 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ] Older >