Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam

109. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 17:26 StingingVelvet

Overon wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 17:22:
I did as I said, and every game I tried on steam worked. I call bullshit on anyone who says otherwise.

I have had games tell me before they can't launch in offline mode. I know the original Portal was one, because I tried to play it on vacation in a hotel without internet.

I think they have improved offline mode over time though, and when I moved recently I had no trouble playing anything offline from Steam. My biggest issue with Steam remains the inability to roll back patches.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

108. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 17:23 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:34:
in a situation like that I'm more apt to take Valve's side, so sue me.

I'm pretty sure that's the kind of thing that annoys people like me, to be honest. I don't hold Valve up in some high regard on these things. I think they are just as much about their bottom line as any other company and they are pushing DRM, games as a service, company control over the product at all times and DLC as much as any other company.

89. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 15:27 StingingVelvet

necrosis wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 15:05:
My only guess is those games are 'granfathered'. Steam changed the rules after these games came out but before Crysis 2 deal was cut. EA ignored the rules so Steam pulled that game.

That makes sense actually. Fable 3 came out after that time and it's DLC is offered on Steam as well as GFWL.

81. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 14:48 StingingVelvet

vyshka wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:26:
Baird says GameStop executives told them. "Given Steam's dominance and insistence on users downloading a Steam client application publishers are likely to be receptive to a competitive alternative."

Last I checked Impulse required downloading a client as well. Has that changed with Gamestop taking ownership?

Origin and Impulse both have a client for downloads and patching, but they are not required to play. I quite like that personally.

79. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 14:46 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:17:
Is that really it though?

Doesn't EA sell DLC for Burnout Paradise that isn't available through Steam but through their own store? Aren't their other games like that too?

Games for Windows Live does the same thing too. Still, this is the reason EA have given and Valve have not stated otherwise.

74. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 14:14 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:12:
There's a pretty major reason I don't have SC2... I was hoping it wouldn't be the same one for BF3.

And I am sure there are some others who share that opinion, but you're in the vast minority given Starcraft 2's sales. Blizzard are not sorry they sold that game the way they did, I can promise you that.

73. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 14:13 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 09:48:
This isn't an exclusive though. This is EA specifically excluding a single store. They're not saying "you can only get this at Origin" which would be shitty but an understandable business move. This is EA saying "You can get this everywhere else except here". I'm sure we will get the usual anti-Steam folk in here defending this but the reality is that this sets a very anti-consumer and comfortable precedent for the future. Less choice is a bad thing for consumers.

If EA wants to compete with Steam then they are free to do it on features, price and all of the other things that other stores do and still manage to stay in business.

Valve really do have certain rules and shit for releasing on Steam you know. It's not like this is completely about EA not wanting to sell there. The fact of the matter is that EA want a more direct link to customers through their games, as they have said, and Valve do not want to allow that. It was all made pretty clear with the comments released after Crysis 2 was pulled.

If Valve were willing to sell the game no matter what I would agree with you, but that's not the case. EA are under no obligation to change the game to suit Valve's desires.

71. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 14:10 StingingVelvet

It's still odd to me how much this is "news." Starcraft 2 and WoW, arguably the most popular PC games of the last decade, were not released on Steam. How is Battlefield 3 not coming to Steam a tragedy of epic proportions? Or perhaps more to the point, how could it possible mean the game will suffer or even fail? The evidence shows quite the opposite.

Starcraft 2 and WoW are actually only available digitally on one store, battle.net, and yet they did amazing well. Battlefield 3 will likely be everywhere but Steam.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon

11. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 14:06 StingingVelvet

The funny part of this story on Eurogamer was that they acted like all the GR games were console ports. In actuality of course the original game and expansions were PC games ported to consoles and the GRAW games, still the most recent releases, had unique and exclusive PC versions.

In any event, free-to-play online games are not what I want, PC exclusive or not.

News Comments > Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Patch

4. Re: Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Patch Jul 16, 2011, 19:04 StingingVelvet

Does it still require the internet to install is the question.  

News Comments > Steam Download Changes

3. Re: Steam Download Changes Jul 16, 2011, 00:16 StingingVelvet

Fucking finally.

The summer sale and now better downloads both right when I switch back to digital buying. Good luck I guess.

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June

32. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 16:01 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:42:
Disagreed 100%. It was an awful game. Boring as hell, straight "follow the dotted line" game with nothing interesting in it to make it worth $10 much less $50. It shat on it's predecessor almost as bad as DNF did.

I don't view linear as equaling bad.

News Comments > RAGE Weapons Trailer

3. Re: RAGE Weapons Trailer Jul 15, 2011, 00:36 StingingVelvet

AngryMax wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 23:34:
Love iD, but feels like they are trying to sound innovative about things that have been done a million times before in video games.

I've seen market, cross bows, cool explosions... but whatever, engine looks incredible. In-game art too.

I'm not buying this game for innovation though, I'm buying it because it will undoubtedly be well made.

17. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 00:29 StingingVelvet

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:06:
I'd really like to see the total numbers/total cash value of internet sales for PC games.

Between Steam sales, Gamersgate sales, gog.com, D2D, etc. It has to be several orders of magnitude higher than PC physical sales, and probably actually challenges/exceeds some of the console sales.

Seriously, how many Steam bargain bin addicts are there on these forums alone?

Some industry insiders said boxed sales were 50% years ago, and I can only imagine the gulf between them has grown since then. I would guess it's a certainty boxed sales are in second now, and that's not even including alternate revenue streams like "free to play" and indie titles.

15. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 00:25 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:20:
I should have updated my post to reflect some research

I didn't remember anything said about it around here so I did a search. A few people off handedly mentioned it was linear and you were only one to post impressions. Strange that a game just released in June had little more than a handful of posts before, during, and after that release.

Well there's nothing really special about the game that merits a $50 purchase, which I guess reflects in the low sales. I am more saying I disagree with reviews saying it's a bad game... for what it wants to be it's pretty well done.

10. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 00:04 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 23:25:
Oh yeah they were just shitty.
Try better next time.

RFA is actually a pretty good sci-fi bug shooter, I really enjoyed my time with it. Most reviews and such seemed to bash it mainly because it wasn't an open-world game like the last one.

News Comments > Quotable - Trip Hawkins

1. Re: Quotable - Trip Hawkins Jul 12, 2011, 23:13 StingingVelvet

I like this, even though it greatly simplifies matters.  

News Comments > Dishonored Revealed

4. Re: Dishonored Revealed Jul 7, 2011, 14:12 StingingVelvet

Overon wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 13:44:
If Harvey Smith and Viktor Antonov were not involved with this game, would anyone care?

Yes, because Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah were great games. Also because the concept sounds great.

News Comments > On PC Skyrim

19. Re: On PC Skyrim Jul 7, 2011, 00:58 StingingVelvet

The negativity really passes into insanity when it comes to some people/topics, and this game is certainly one of them. I read that and am happy to hear we are getting high-res textures and smaller UI fonts... certainly not givens today.  

News Comments > Insider: Rockstar/Team Bondi Split

28. Re: Insider: Rockstar/Team Bondi Split Jul 5, 2011, 14:37 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 11:37:
I agree with Beamer about San Andreas but I'll go one step further, none of the GTA games have a particularly strong story. Vice City had some fantastic period pieces and nostalgia factor but the story wasn't anything spectacular. GTA IV's story was more human but is totally divorced from your actions in the game world which makes it very difficult to take seriously.

The GTA games have always had serviceable plots and better than average characterization but ultimately they are hamstrung by the fact that you're trying to fit a story around an open world game.

They have amazing dialogue though, which for some people is "enough" story-wise I think.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 58.
< Newer [ 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ] Older >