Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

News Comments > Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar

15. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 14:00 StingingVelvet

It needs more sorting options basically. Allow me to sort by bestselling, high metacritic, highest playtime by Steam users, etc. etc.. And I mean for the catalog, not the top 20.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam

265. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 13:55 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:16:
Who knows? If it's even as low as 10% (which seems very low) it's still totally ridiculous from a sales potential perspective even at whatever percentage Steam takes per copy.

That's why I agree with Krovven that it's a poor decision if that's the case. The amount of great games landing in November this year borders on the absurd, I have something like $400 to spend if I want to own them all. They can't really afford to mess around with this stuff if they are counting on the sales. If I was an EA shareholder I wouldn't be happy about it. Thankfully it's still pretty early so hopefully it gets ironed out beforehand.

Remember however that corporations plan very far ahead. I would not be surprised if EA were telling their shareholders that downloadable games on the PC are the future in many respects, from current business models to free-to-play and MMO, and that them setting up a popular service like Steam is worth a lot of early sacrifice for long-term gain. The entire console business is basically set up to lose business in the launch year or longer, but then make money hand over fist later on.

That said I can't imagine BF3 being seen as some kind of sacrificial lamb. If they really do skip Steam with BF3 I could see no other explanation than them believing that is best for revenue on the title. Honestly that's not too crazy.

If Steam takes 40%, which is widely talked about as the default, then it's $24 for every copy sold at $60. That would be, obviously, 24 million dollars on a million copies. On top of that the real rub here seems to be about in-game DLC. If BF3 has a real shop built into it, which I would guess it will, and EA get 100% of that money, that is huge. No matter where you buy the game an in-game shop is visible, that doesn't rely on a popular retailer. If they sell expansions and mini-expansions within the game that's a massive revenue stream. If they sell skins and guns and maps that's a massive revenue stream.

Let's say they sell 3 million PC copies, which is not an absurd amount given what CoD sells on PC and BF's PC focus and popularity. Let's say they offer $200 of DLC over the product's lifetime, which could be extremely conservative or exaggerated, we really don't know. Assuming $200 though, with in-game sales and EA getting 100% of the profit you're looking at hundreds of millions there. Even if all they sell is $50 worth of map packs you're still looking at tens of millions without a split with distributors.

Also there's the entire factor of Valve having to approve everything they sell on Steam and make a page for it. If EA are going to sell dozens of items from skins to guns or whatever, which is possible, and Valve insist on selling all that DLC in the Steam shop as well, you're looking at a potential clusterfuck of approval. EA has to be in love with the idea of nothing coming between their sales plan and their customers. They have said as much in recent interviews on this subject.

All in all I don't think it's absurd and I think it has the potential to be extremely profitable for them. Add on top of that the potential if they can get Origin into competition range with Steam in general by building it's userbase and you have a potential coo on your hands here. Shareholders are not going to balk at that.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy

17. Re: Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy Jul 20, 2011, 13:40 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:00:
Team Meat are some of the biggest cunts on the indie scene. The way they respond to people on the forums when it comes to simple things like a technical issue is pretty insulting.

When someone points out the numerous bugs in this game they basically respond "fuck you, it's something on your end, not ours."

They refuse to admit how buggy their game is. There is something really, really bizarre about the way this game was developed. Despite the simple 2D graphics, you need a very powerful machine to run this game smoothly. Fullscreen mode for some reason makes the game really really laggy, making it unplayable. I could go on and on about the technical issues, but the point is Team Meat refuses to acknowledge them.

I'm with Frijoles on this. Team Meat won't be getting any money when Super Meat Boy 2 comes round.

Not to be "that guy" but I never had any problems what-so-ever.

261. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 13:04 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:58:
Slashman (I think) actually made a very compelling argument for that a few pages ago. You'd be hard pressed to sell me on the revenue difference being made up by DLC sales and Origin sellthru, even assuming that somehow turns into a majority. We're talking about a service with 20+ million accounts and the Battlefield series doesn't have Call of Duty cachet yet so all of those casual sales and people who only buy stuff on Steam sales adds up very quickly.

Millions of accounts, yes, but how many of those are people who play modern "AAA" games and who won't want to look elsewhere for new releases? That's the question. My girlfriend is two of those accounts and all she owns are Popcap games.

I suspect this is EA giving it a shot as an experiment, I highly doubt they have an accurate idea how well it's going to do. They don't have a long history of selling PC DLC and it's a platform that differs a lot from consoles.

I would agree in that if they notice significantly lower sales they will reverse course rather quickly. I don't think they would release BF3 or ME3 on PC as experiments though. They are expecting high sales on the PC for BF3 at least, based on Bad Company 2 sales. I wonder how big a percentage of BC2 sales came from Steam.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues Jul 20, 2011, 12:59 StingingVelvet

I never had any significant bug issues with New Vegas at launch, though the patches did introduce some. Like Verno said, Bethesda's Gamebryo-based engines tend to be easily broken by patch changes which is probably one reason Bethesda never patches every issue. Hopefully this is improved in their new version of the engine for Skyrim.

All that said from what I have gathered the 360 version was completely broken at launch, which is of course the version most people played and most reviewers reviewed.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Team Meat on Piracy Jul 20, 2011, 12:54 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:13:
Why so arbitrary a line? Notch had the same attitude long before Minecraft was successful. So did CD Projekt Red. If they make a million dollars and one cent while retaining the same attitude does that totally invalidate your argument?

Cliffski certainly wouldn't make this argument though.

I have a feeling a lot of it comes down to sales success, but also a lot of it comes down to simple personality differences. Some people are going to look at those torrents and feel a lore more hurt or pissed than others by nature. I know I would be fucking livid at the thought of some assholes playing my hard work for nothing.

News Comments > Raven Not Making a Bond Game

4. Re: Raven Not Making a Bond Game Jul 20, 2011, 12:51 StingingVelvet

Paketep wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:01:
Whatever they're doing, I hope it's single player.

Last Wolfenstein's multiplayer was an EPIC FAILURE by the book, both in consolization and in failed support. Oh, and let's not forget the ton of lies from the community managers.

Raven didn't work on the multiplayer for that game. It was pretty obvious before release that it was a singleplayer focused title.

Shame that the Goldeneye remake they announced today is not coming to PC. Why NOT port a shooter to the PC? Baffles me.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Adds Free DLC

4. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Adds Free DLC Jul 20, 2011, 12:50 StingingVelvet

I used the "everything is weightless" mod. Would be a shame if that didn't work anymore. I don't usually mod out difficulty and in Fallout: New Vegas I actually play on hardcore where inventory management is much harder, but for TW2 I just hated the inventory system. The game really encourages you to grab everything you find but then has a very low weight count and no storage.  

News Comments > Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar

8. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 12:48 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:32:
They dont even mention the sales from gamersgate, which would enlarge even more the sales numbers.

From developer comments I have read over the past several years I have surmised that Steam offers you real-time sales tracking at any time while sites like Gamersgate give you a sales report every so many weeks. They don't know what they sold on GG yet I would imagine. I know I got the GG version because it was DRM free.

As for the news, great stuff. Not sure why every XBLA or significant XBLIG game without an exclusivity deal is not on PC too. There's plenty of revenue here to cover porting costs and you might end up making a ton.

259. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 12:41 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:15:
I said this when these events first started, still seems to apply...if EA is trying to circumvent Steam by selling DLC from within game, or through another vendor and not allowing Steam equal opportunity...then Valve has every right to kick Crysis 2 off Steam.

Valve certainly does have every right to sell what they like on their platform.

Assuming StingingVelvet's info is correct, seems like EA/Crytek made a really stupid move on their part.

Depends. Like I said earlier the extra revenue is significant and could make up for lost sales due to a lack of Steam versions, depending on how many people now ignore the game. I would imagine EA did not make this decision lightly, they know how much they sell and where. If they are willing to cut out Steam one would have to assume they legitimately believe they will make more money doing so, or at least break even.

Given EA's marketing budgets and established franchises that doesn't really surprise me. It would be hard to convince me that anyone who wants Mass Effect 3 or Battlefield 3 will just ignore the games if they are not on Steam. The real loss would be extremely casual gamers who are also big Steam fans who would only really know the games were out through Steam. What kind of percentage are they? EA knows better than we do I suspect.

255. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 06:23 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 03:00:
I've read the same statements from EA as everyone else, regarding it being a change in Valves DLC policies. What I'd still like to know is, what it has to do with Crysis 2 being dropped from Steam?

Crysis 2 is not selling any DLC from within the game, or on the mycrysis website. To my knowledge DLC doesn't exist for Crysis 2.

Crysis 2 has a map pack sold within the game and through Direct2Drive but not on Steam. Someone from Crytek stated they made a deal with Direct2Drive for exclusivity and Steam dropped them because of it. Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam the day before the map pack released.

News Comments > Homefront "The Rock" DLC Plans

6. Re: Homefront Jul 20, 2011, 02:42 StingingVelvet

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 01:51:
To be fair, Homefront was always about the multiplayer, which they did a pretty good job with.

Probably, but the campaign was amazingly weak even compared to Call of Duty or Battlefield.

*Weak not week, how embarrassing.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2011, 06:24.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Fallout New Vegas Jul 20, 2011, 02:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 01:04:
It all comes down to the illusion of consequence.

Yup.

This can be a preference thing though. I know some gamers dislike using any imagination when they play games, they rely on everything being presented visually. For them an ending like New Vegas' might be disappointing.

News Comments > Homefront "The Rock" DLC Plans

4. Re: Homefront "The Rock" DLC Plans Jul 19, 2011, 23:41 StingingVelvet

I make a lot of apologies for average games but Homefront was one of the worst campaigns I ever played. Terrible throughout and only 3 hours long, and that comes from someone who usually takes longer to beat games than others.

Got it on sale and still felt raped.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Fallout New Vegas Jul 19, 2011, 23:40 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 23:38:
Enable all the DLC because you cant continue after you finish the game, stupid decision if you ask me

Not stupid IMO. It means you can have real endings that change the game world.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout New Vegas: Fallout New Vegas Jul 19, 2011, 23:39 StingingVelvet

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 23:29:
Probably answer myself if I just fire it up = but I am about halfway through the game, should i enable all of the DLC or finish this game then continue?

Honest Hearts is made for any level above 10. Dead Money was balanced for roughly level 20. Old World Blues was balanced for roughly 20 as well, and recommends at least level 15 when you go to start it.

All of them scale though, and could really be done at any time if you really wanted. Also none of them can be done after you beat the game, since the game ends.

251. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 23:37 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 20:05:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 19:21:
See, it really does all come down to "EA is evil and Valve is good" for you guys.

The fact that you extrapolate that and think in those terms is a pretty telling indicator of how fruitless this discussion is going to be so this is my final reply on it. EA is no more evil than Valve(and the word evil is pretty juvenile by the way) but both are capable of making decisions that affect consumers in a negative way. EA in the past has made repeatedly poor decisions on several fronts and not the least of which are ones related to being a digital vendor which is pretty relevant. While no saints themselves Valve overall has a better track record in this regard and often attempts to at least make potential consumer impact a trade off.

The problem is you assume things and start with a certain frame of mind based on your preconceptions about both companies. I am not saying your entire argument is based on that, just that it colors it.

Your main point is not wrong, it would be great if every game was on every service, from Battlefield 3 on Steam to Portal 2 on Gamersgate. The main part where I think you're a bit nutty is in making it such a big deal. All companies are going to leverage their catalogs as best they can and for companies with an eye toward distribution that means exclusives. That includes Valve, EA and many others.

247. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 19:21 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 18:52:
Yeah sorry I don't see it. I don't think one of the biggest releases of the year potentially not being on the largest PC distribution platform qualifies as "tempest in a teapot". Maybe in the context of "there is serious shit going on in actual news" but in gaming that's a pretty big deal regardless of who is to blame (and again I think that's EA based on several instances of past behavior).

See, it really does all come down to "EA is evil and Valve is good" for you guys.

244. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 16:49 StingingVelvet

Tumbler wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 16:39:
It was pulled on the exact same day that the first map pack DLC became available. This DLC was not available on steam, I believe you had to purchase it through the EA store, or directly from EA in some way. Steam wasn't getting their cut for that content so they pulled the game.

Indeed. This is a recent Steam rule change too, near as I can tell. Note that Fable 3, despite being a GFWL game, had it's DLC up for sale on Steam at the same time as GFWL did. It has to be some new Steam regulation that all in-game purchases and DLC be offered for sale on Steam as well.

243. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 16:48 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 16:14:
No one cares about what EA wants. No one cares about Valve wants either. It's about what the consumer wants. As I said already, it's not about them wanting our money, it's about how they get it. Whether you think EA has to do business a specific way is up to you. I didn't say EA had to do something "to be competitive", I said I view it as an anti-competitive move, as in against the best interests of the consumer and almost pointlessly so. If EA wants to sell me the game on Steam and have me activate on Origin then that's a hoop I can live with. It has little or nothing to do with Steam, you can insert the Direct2Drive name if it makes feel better.

Well I often get into trouble on here for arguing from a corporate perspective and this is one of those times maybe. I would love for every game to be available everywhere, sure, because then I could buy everything on GOG! Haha...

The point is I completely understand why EA wants to do direct consumer sales through Origin with games and DLC, and I understand why Valve don't want to sell Origin codes on their service or be excluded from DLC sales. Valve have the power to try and leverage EA by refusing to do that and they will exercise that power. We shall see who wins.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 56.
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >