Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer

6. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer Jul 25, 2011, 17:43 StingingVelvet

bhcompy wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 17:12:
So are we going to have live FMVs like we did in the Sega CD days? (particular faves are the PSX Soviet/Nuclear Strike games)

Odd to use the Sega CD as the FMV standard on a PC gaming site. The PC was by far the home of FMV.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Vote on Female Shepard

19. Re: Vote on Female Shepard Jul 25, 2011, 15:58 StingingVelvet

I like the blonde and don't really care if that makes me boring.  

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam

297. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 25, 2011, 14:59 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 11:07:
About as much work as managing activations and other nonsense with EA stuff over the years.

Uh... not really. Assuming you don't automatically deactivate during uninstall you can just launch a simple program and click a button. Backup up Steam games is a lot longer process.

For every inconvenience Steam gives me, other services seem ready to provide an equivalent in some other area. Digital distribution was supposed to be better than this and one day it will be but unfortunately we're here to see the growing pains.

Agreed.

News Comments > Epic on Bulletstorm Sales

120. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 25, 2011, 14:55 StingingVelvet

I honestly never even noticed it lacked jumping until I read forum posts complaining about it.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 24, 2011, 18:17 StingingVelvet

Efflixi wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 17:42:
I bought Civ V because it was on sale for 66% off. I played it for 6 hours straight... needless to say it's an awesome game for those who like that type of game. I like a LOT more than i did Civ IV which always felt "off" somehow.

Most people would say the opposite of that, but I feel ya. I think both have their ups and downs, but Civ5 has ten times better combat which makes it a much better game to me.

95. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 24, 2011, 18:14 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 17:47:
Aren't you the one always defending corporations around here? What an absurd world.

Whatever fits your bizarre need to categorize people who disagree with you I guess.

295. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 24, 2011, 16:54 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 08:37:

No...apparently StingingVelvet can't block patches.

Yes well, he does tend to exaggerate any Steam shortcomings but in this case I think he meant a simple toggle. I've actually used the "Do not keep this game up to date" successfully but apparently others have problems with it I guess.

That works as long as you are offline, but try to launch the game online and it forces the patch. Also I want to roll back patches, in case a patch messes with my game which several have.

I never thought about backing up a game after every patch and then going offline and reverting to the backup if the patch is bad. That's a good idea I guess, but honestly way too much fucking work.

93. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 24, 2011, 16:50 StingingVelvet

Reading someone defending Homefront's singleplayer and bashing Bulletstorm hits me in the chest like a bullet. What an absurd world.  

38. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:08 StingingVelvet

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:20:
This guy is the biggest EA apologist in the world. Seriously, if EA sold bags with feces in them, he'd talk about how great the bag was, and how you're all judging the feces harshly, and didn't give it a chance or try it out.

As I just said to Creston, I don't play these stupid forum games. I say what I like and I say what I don't. I have never once pretended to like something or liked/disliked something because of the talent or publisher involved. EA is capable of making great games and crappy games, as evidenced by Mass Effect 2 (great game) and Medal of Honor (crappy game).

EA certainly, in my experience, has a better quality output than Activision or Ubisoft. The fact they closed down Bullfrog and Westwood doesn't make that not the case.

36. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 18:00 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 16:40:
Yep. It's funny how I'm a "hater" for saying that a gimmicky 5 hour shooter won't sell millions of copies, when while he's ranting and raving about Steam, we're all wrong for calling him a hater and what ever happened to being allowed to having different opinions.

I called you a hater for judging the game without really playing it. The game took me 12 hours to beat, 5 is absurdly unrepresentative.

Anyone who wants to bash Bulletstorm can of course, but I suggest watching TotalBiscuit's "WTF is" on the game. He explains perfectly well why it is a great game and stands out amidst the pack of crap the shooter genre pushes out now-a-days. It's not an old-school shooter with modern graphics but it's about as close as we have gotten in a decade. You can doubt my PC gamer "credentials" or rationality all you like, but you can't bash TB's.

As for me being an "EA apologist" I call things like I see them. I say I enjoyed games I enjoyed and didn't ones I didn't. I've never once played the games others seem all too eager to, bashing a game because the company that funded it pissed them off 12 years ago or whatever. That just seems like a waste of time to me, and a good way to miss out on great games.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Epic on Unreal

20. Re: Quoteworthy - Epic on Unreal Jul 23, 2011, 14:37 StingingVelvet

Unreal, even UT3, has some very interesting art design. I would like to play another singleplayer game, or a multiplayer with a PC focus, but I don't NEED it. I am fine without it. Similarly the fact the PC only got the first Gears of War is fine for me... one was enough for that franchise, I don't NEED more.

Hope to see some original IP in other words.

16. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 23, 2011, 14:32 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 12:53:
Don't care what anyone says, Bulletstorm was a blast.

Agreed. It was probably the most "old-school" shooter I have played in years and was amazingly beautiful on PC. It also lasted a good long time, no matter what Creston and other haters like to say without having even played it.

Great game, very against the stale modern warfare CoD clones we get most of the time. Not rewarded with sales though, so now we'll see even less of that for a while. Great!

283. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 21:13 StingingVelvet

Rockn-Roll wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 20:57:
It all comes down to control and marketing. EA wants to deny us and other developers the features that Steam provides just for the marketing strategy...they believe if they could pull off a Steam like client then they would get a bigger market share of gamer attention. That is so far from the truth...have they not learned from Microsoft? Providing an inferior product (as all are...since Steam provides everything and more) is a sure way to create gamer hate. I don't know of any PC only gamers that would touch a game that requires Windows (xbox) Live.

Origin is really not that bad though. A lot of hate comments about it are rooted in the past when it was the EA Download Manager. The program has been massively improved and even just recently added optional auto-patching, something I have wanted from Steam since it came out (don't tell me you can block patches, you can't really). Also Origin allowing you to launch and patch games without Origin running is really nice.

Steam is better, sure, but Origin is not some terrible trip to the dark ages like Games for Windows Live is.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Adds Free DLC

19. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Adds Free DLC Jul 20, 2011, 21:05 StingingVelvet

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 16:42:
Not all mods are broke. Those that add textures (like the compass one) or change appearance of the game may not. I did a fresh install (no mods) are just put back th zero weight mod- http://modsreloaded.com/witcher-2 and it works.

Cool, thanks for the news.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials

1. Re: Ubisoft Financials Jul 20, 2011, 21:03 StingingVelvet

They're banking on that Assassin's Creed release in November, and probably rightly so. I would love to see sales for that franchise plummet now that they are milking it so badly though. I know I won't be buying the next one until it's expansion pack priced.

Also if they really expect Driver to sell well they're idiots.

News Comments > Prototype 2 in April 2012

1. Re: Prototype 2 in April 2012 Jul 20, 2011, 21:01 StingingVelvet

I might... MIGHT... finally play the first one by then.  

277. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 15:52 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 15:44:
I mentioned a number of those cases in the reply you quoted from:) Such as the music and movie and book industries, and how they did NOT embrace those disruptive technologies, and missed out on HUGE profits.

With MS and planning for future without a PC, that's kinda stuff has been going on for decades, starting back in the thin-client days. Lots of companies (including MS I believe) have failed at TV appliances trying to get that going. MS has even failed at trying to sell cell phones. Didn't they kill their cell phone after less than a month on the market?

Well, I didn't say they were good at it!

274. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 15:30 StingingVelvet

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 15:18:
Yeah... no. They SHOULD plan far ahead, but most don't from what I've seen. They take short term gains over long term far far too often.

I don't think you and I are really talking about the same thing. Yes, profit-wise they do obsess on quarterly reports. What I mean is more along the lines of long-term business mutations and planning for emerging or changing markets.

For example almost everything Microsoft is doing right now is geared toward planning for a future where the home PC, including a laptop, is dead. Apple are doing much better at that, but MS is still gearing up for it. When I say EA are thinking very far ahead I am talking about the shifting market toward online services and direct online distribution through the PC and mobile. Valve thought very far ahead with Steam when Half-Life 2 came out.

269. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 14:26 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 14:11:
There's nothing to really debate there beyond how opposed to your own usual opinion it is. You're always worried about Steam taking over the market and claiming that games need to be on Steam to be successful. But suddenly EA will make a lot more money selling direct because Steam isn't that important after all?

Dude, you're not even paying attention at this point. EA is a lot different from, say, DoubleBear. Battlefield is a lot different from Dead State. My concerns with a game needing to be on Steam to be profitable are massively lowered when the game is a multi-million selling property with a hundred million marketing budget from one of the two biggest publishers in the industry.

As for the rest of what you said you barely responded to my points if you did at all, so I'm not sure what my response could possible be. At the end of the day I laid out in great detail the road toward making more money by excluding Steam and the reasons for doing so. You can either respond to those points or not, but stop trying to do both at the same time.

267. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 20, 2011, 14:02 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 14:01:
Way too late in the thread for wall of text man. A casual glance reveals some make believe math which is fine if you want to theorize but the competition's sales history figures are no theory and neither is the sheer potential audience that Steam reaches, hardcore or not.

Why bother commenting on something you haven't read? Also "wall of text" means no paragraphs in my internet parlance.

In any event the core point is that direct avenues to your customers could easily be worth more than Steam's revenue stream in the long run.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 55.
< Newer [ 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ] Older >