Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >

News Comments > On Risen 2 DRM

51. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 27, 2011, 01:44 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 00:30:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 00:25:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 23:11:
Agreed. With the GOG part, at least. Gamersgate still requires online activations. GOG has no DRM whatsoever. When GOG is not an option, a rudimentary CD-check is my second choice (and I mean rudimentary; no TAGES or SecuRom crap).

Gamersgate has no DRM of its own. It does download and install through an app, but you can backup the file during installation and it has no Gamersgate added DRM. They do of course carry games with DRM on them from the developer/publisher.

http://www.gamersgate.com/info/faq

Can I download the game on my office PC and install it on my home PC which does not have an internet connection?

No, you cannot. Internet connection is required to install games. If the target computer has slow download bandwidth, then the game can be downloaded on another computer and then transferred in any way to your original computer. There you can use them to install, but connection is needed to sign in and start the installation process.

NOTE: Internet connection is required for performing the installation process. Installation cannot be made manually. It is done automatically and it requires internet connection to be performed properly.

I don't give a shit what their FAQ says. Thanks anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 27, 2011, 00:25 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 23:11:
Agreed. With the GOG part, at least. Gamersgate still requires online activations. GOG has no DRM whatsoever. When GOG is not an option, a rudimentary CD-check is my second choice (and I mean rudimentary; no TAGES or SecuRom crap).

Gamersgate has no DRM of its own. It does download and install through an app, but you can backup the file during installation and it has no Gamersgate added DRM. They do of course carry games with DRM on them from the developer/publisher.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution

1. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Jul 26, 2011, 21:53 StingingVelvet

Got Grand Inquisitor... awesome adventure game classic.  

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #3

8. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #3 Jul 26, 2011, 21:50 StingingVelvet

skyguy wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 21:33:
This actually includes VVVVVV 2.0, which hasn't been available until now.

People who bought it directly before got an email today with a download link.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle #3

5. Re: Humble Indie Bundle #3 Jul 26, 2011, 20:59 StingingVelvet

Own them all except for Hammerfight. Might pay a couple bucks just for it, but then I look like a cheap ass trying to get them all.  

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice Skirmish Released

6. Re: Section 8: Prejudice Skirmish Released Jul 26, 2011, 20:56 StingingVelvet

JaguarUSF wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 20:44:
Same thing happened with the original. It's amazing how fast these online shooters lose players. Especially when you consider that I can still find 10 or so servers with over 50 players at under 100 ping in Battlefield 2.

At the end of the day you go back to the better games unless you're a total graphics whore. Why play this when you could play Battlefield 2? Shit, I bet more people are playing Halo on PC than this.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer

31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer Jul 26, 2011, 20:55 StingingVelvet

bhcompy wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 01:08:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 17:43:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 17:12:
So are we going to have live FMVs like we did in the Sega CD days? (particular faves are the PSX Soviet/Nuclear Strike games)

Odd to use the Sega CD as the FMV standard on a PC gaming site. The PC was by far the home of FMV.

Recently in Red Alert, maybe, but what else? Mad Dog Mcree and Who Shot Johnny Rock were arcade first and consoles like Sega CD later. FMV was very prominent in the marketing of Sega CD games. Tomcat Alley, Sewer Shark, etc.

What does recently have to do with it? The Sega CD was out like 15 years ago.

47. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 20:51 StingingVelvet

necrosis wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 20:49:
Is Steam really that damned bad? 5-10 seconds of your life that precious to you? Seriously I can not fathom your reasons for hating Steam. Your reasons for hating it are so shallow its laughable. Its like complaining it takes to long to open your front door because you need to get the keys out of your pocket.

Your issue seems to be that you jump to the conclusion I hate it based on some complaints and a preference for other methods. I have never said I hate Steam, not once. I use Steam extremely often and just today bought Deus Ex 3 on it.

I just prefer a simple list of installers like GOG or Gamersgate. That is my preference. When that is an option I will choose it. When it isn't I will say I wish it was. The PC gaming community seems to think anything said against Steam is venomous.

43. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 20:12 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 19:44:
I bought Risen a few weeks ago, and lo and behold, it tried to install fucking Tages.

As far as I know my Risen copy on disc has no DRM what-so-ever.

42. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 20:11 StingingVelvet

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 17:58:
News flash for you Velvet, there is nothing new or innovative anymore. itís all been there and done that already. Everything is a rehash of something so get used to it or fucking quit playing games.

I said that in the very post you quoted, man. Don't tell me shit I already said. My point is that knights, dragons and castles still outweigh other RPG settings by like 100 to 1.

32. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 17:29 StingingVelvet

Satoru wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 15:54:
2) I HATE STEAM. Ok.. .fine. But why? Usually it's 'because it runs in the background', like your IM client, Skype, etc. so why single Steam out? You could always not have Steam running on startup and kill it when you finish playing if that's your cup of tea. Or it falls into the I HATE DRM, scheme so refer above.

It's a simple matter of convienence really. I don't have Steam running all the time because I don't care about using its community features and I can go weeks or even months between playing steamworks games. So when I have to load it to play something it can be annoying. I keep shortcuts to all my installed games in a simple folder on my desktop and most of them launch instantly when I feel like clicking them. Steamworks games take a while to load up at Steam loads, verifies me and maybe updates.

In any case it's not a huge deal and I agree with everything else you said, but I very much disagree it is the least intrusive. A DRM that activates at install and then never needs to be seen again is the least intrusive, and Steam is not that.

21. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 15:15 StingingVelvet

verrul wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 15:02:
you can go to steamapps folder and open commonapps and make your own shortcuts and outside of VALVE and some online games you do NOT NEED STEAM LOADED. just for the activation one time that's it.

This is not true. For most non-steamworks games sold on Steam this can be done, but not for steamworks titles. Since Steamworks titles are mostly the only games I buy on Steam that doesn't really help me.

20. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 15:14 StingingVelvet

Icewind wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 14:10:
Internet and PC neophytes like you crack me up, Velvet boy.

Long boot times? How slow is your PC? Are you running something from the stone age?

Steam *is* the least invasive out there. Plus unlike any other DRM, you can buy games for less than 5 bucks when they are 10x that in retail.

I love laughing at the anti-steam pussy sniffers like you. All the cock-sucking little pansy ass fuckers that think Steam is some boogy man out to rape their virgin assholes.

Fucking pussy.

Do you think this kind of personality is doing you any favors? Honestly? Does your wife realize this is who you really are when given anonymity and no restrictions on what you say?

As for the only actual technical issue you addressed, no it does not take THAT long for Steam to boot up, but it takes a hell of a lot fucking longer than just double clicking a simple exe without DRM on it does.

News Comments > DICE on BF3 PC/Console Differences

15. Re: Console limitations Jul 26, 2011, 13:45 StingingVelvet

Quboid wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 12:02:
Wait, do console gamers bitch and moan about how PC gamers get better versions and how they're stuck being second class citizens?

When a PC only feature, enhancement or whatever is talked about very publicly like this one there is indeed a ton of butthurt console gamers who act like they will never buy a "crap version" of said game. This is a big reason why companies usually downplay any differences.

News Comments > Epic on Bulletstorm Sales

134. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 26, 2011, 13:42 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 08:32:
I find that a bit reprehensible from so called fans of old school FPS design too. Jumping was a pretty huge addition to the genre and opens up a lot of creative avenues of gameplay. The only real reason to not include a jump hotkey is because of consoles. There is no other legitimate excuse unless your map design consists of a single flat plain.

Why would it have to be a console boogeyman thing? I seriously doubt it is. More realistically they just didn't want to bother designing the maps for jumping.

13. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 13:37 StingingVelvet

verrul wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 12:27:
I really dont get why people get so up in arms over the most non-invasive DRM out there.

Well for one thing your claim it is the most non-invasive is not a fact. For people like me who have no desire to have Steam constantly running on their PC it is in fact very invasive compared to some other DRM methods. Whereas a recent game like Dragon Age 2 requires a one-time online activation to my EA account and can then be run on its own offline whenever I want, Steam requires me to boot up the Steam client every time I want to play. That right there makes Steam more invasive.

People who claim it is the easiest and least invasive DRM method are usually people who have it running all the time and don't have to deal with it's long boot time every time they play a game.

All that aside though I don't really care in the end. DRM free versions of everything are online for when I need them, if I ever do.

12. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 13:35 StingingVelvet

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 13:16:
I might have to agree, Iím very skeptical about this being a Pirate themed game. I would rather they stick to what worked in the past and go with a more fantasy themed game with lots of dungeons and creatures. I always hate the NPC garbage and drama that goes with them.

And when people post about craving innovation and being bored of modern military shooters and Tolkien-esque fantasy, you are the gamer I mention. The gamer who wants the same fantasy setting over and over and over again.

I mean christ, pirates isn't unique either, but at least it's not knights and castles again for fuck's sake.

129. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 26, 2011, 01:41 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 22:46:
Stretches credulity to the breaking point. You never once bumped into or wanted to jump over anything in the entire game? I ran into that situation dozens of times even with the sliding ability and a lot of flat level design.

I can't promise you beyond a shadow of a doubt it never happened while playing, but it never registered to the point I really noticed. If you don't believe me... guess what, I don't give a shit.

126. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 25, 2011, 22:06 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 19:23:
Wait a sec...are you seriously implying that modern games don't need or shouldn't have a jump function? Just wow. FPS games without jump are even worse than FPS games without crouch.

No, I do not think FPS games need a jump function to be good. Again, I never even noticed Bulletstorm lacked one.

It's all about design. Mirror's Edge, Quake, whatatever... those games were designed for jumping. Bulletstorm was not.

123. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 25, 2011, 17:44 StingingVelvet

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 15:41:
Yeah because no one tries to hit a jump key in FPS games.

Not when you don't see a need to jump, no. Are you still trying to play modern games like you did Quake 2? Because that would shed a lot of light on things.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 54.
< Newer [ 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ] Older >