Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ] Older >

News Comments > THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses

36. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 15:11 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 11:53:
- Devs make Red Faction Guerilla, a title which is very well received and sells well.
- They decide to make a sequel, but instead of harnessing the strengths of Guerilla and expanding on them, you instead turn it into the 2010 FPS of "Corridor, cutscene, corridor, cutscene, corridor, cutscene etc."
- Surprisingly, it doesn't sell well. WHODATHUNKIT?!

You act like linear games don't sell, which is FAR from the truth. Most people here are acting like being linear is automatically worse than being open, which is also far from the truth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 02:31 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 02:16:
But if you enjoyed guerilla theres no reason to even touch Armageddon, its in many ways the inferior game

They're very different, they're barely even comparable. Different does not mean inferior.

News Comments > From Dust DRM Also Always On?

9. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 27, 2011, 23:05 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 22:35:
"I'm gonna buy it and crack it"
Translation: I was never going to pay for it but still pirate it

I get you're trying to be humorous, but it's really common for people like myself to pay for games and then crack them for convenience.

News Comments > Always on DRM in Driver: San Francisco

39. Re: Always on DRM in Driver: San Francisco Jul 27, 2011, 22:37 StingingVelvet

shponglefan wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 17:26:
If you want Ubisoft to ditch this DRM then you have to send a msg to the publisher - don't buy or pirate their games. But if you're doing both, then they win.

You're missing the point... we don't really give a shit because the DRM is irrelevant. If someone ever makes a DRM that can actually take away my access then I will boycott. An Onlive exclusive for example.

News Comments > OnLive and Bandwidth Caps

5. Re: OnLive and Bandwidth Caps Jul 27, 2011, 22:35 StingingVelvet

Never hit a cap in my life and I download a TON of shit. That said if I ever do you can bet I will be screaming to high heaven.  

News Comments > From Dust DRM Also Always On?

3. Re: From Dust DRM Also Always On? Jul 27, 2011, 22:33 StingingVelvet

Don't care about Driver at all but this would be a bummer.  

4. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 27, 2011, 22:30 StingingVelvet

entr0py wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 21:57:
The problem with Armegeddon wasn't that it was a Red Faction game, it was that it was a huge step down from the previous one. Imagine if the next GTA game were a completely linear 3rd person shooter. Would that go over well? I suspect it was THQ's attempt to save money that sabotaged the project in the first place.

Guerrilla was the outlier though, the other three Red Faction games were all linear. What didn't help sales was every review and preview complaining about that.

In any event, linear or not Red Faction is hardly "niche." I find that statement hilarious. Talk about trying to cover your ass to your investors after the fact with bullshit. Linear sci-fi shooters are niche now? Halo, Quake, Gears of War and a million others say hello.

News Comments > Space Marine Release Date, Cinematic

1. Re: Space Marine Release Date, Cinematic Jul 27, 2011, 15:41 StingingVelvet

Same day as Dead Island eh? I would guess the latter provides a lot more value.  

News Comments > All Zombies Must Die Announced

1. Re: All Zombies Must Die Announced Jul 27, 2011, 14:27 StingingVelvet

TotalBiscuit's "WTF is..." turned me off their first game. Seemed to run like crap and be pretty simplistic. I'll keep an eye on this one though, since it used the magic "RPG elements" phrase.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam

48. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 14:21 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 13:33:
I think The Old Republic is an MMO title with a single platform that can't really afford to ignore a user base the size of Steams. EA doesn't have the history or brand appeal of Blizzard franchises on the PC and one failed Star Wars MMO probably has sullied the waters a bit. I think if anything the biggest factor that will decide how well TOR does is what Blizzard does to retain WoW customers this fall. But anyway, we've done that debate to death already and no one has any figures to back it up so its kind of pointless. I think both scenarios have some validity to them.

Fair enough.

See my Apple example below. EA already has the freedom to sell and manage their games, they are doing it right now in fact. Whether they have the ability to fully exercise it in another vendors system is a different story.

I would never say they do, I am just saying they have the right to do what they want and suffer the consequences. If TOR and BF3 don't sell as well as they should have because they are not on Steam then EA have to eat that loss and also explain to their shareholders why they didn't pursue all sales avenues. If the games sell great, the DLC sells great at 100% profit and Origin gains popularity then they will reap all the rewards.

In the end it's a risky decision and consumers will make it a success or a failure. Neither of us knows how many people will really ignore those games if they're not on Steam. Personally I suspect the marketing and names behind those games mean they will be a success without Steam and lose very little. You are of course free to think otherwise.

43. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 13:28 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 13:20:
Do we have any details on that though? AFAIK it was just a vague Comic-Con quote from a rep and of course they're going to say that when they have so much invested in it. What criteria did they use? I don't think the bar is very high for something to achieve best selling preorder EADM/Origin title for example.

That's certainly true. Still, given how Blizzard games and Minecraft sold without Steam I am willing to believe a hyped product with a lot of marketing can skip Steam and do just fine. EA has the marketing budget and connections to make that happen for all their releases. Would they sell better on Steam? Probably, but to what degree? Enough of a degree to bow to Valve's rules? Who knows.

In the end I just see this as two companies who both want to use their leverage to make more money and have more control. EA want to use digital distribution to have a direct sales line to customers and control their games. Valve want to make sure they are earning from all the new revenue streams. In the end I can't say either is right or wrong, really, though as we discussed before in the end I default to "EA should have the freedom to sell and manage their games how they want." It's not like that comes cheap, they are risking lost sales to do it.

40. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 13:16 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 13:07:
I simply cannot imagine that taking 100% of the revenue from DLC sold outside Steam is worth giving up the lost revenue by selling the game on Steam. It just doesn't make sense to me, but EA rarely seems to.

They're not writing off all of Steam as a loss though, that would be silly. They are estimating the number of people who will actually avoid the game if it is not on Steam and judging they can write off THAT amount. Whether they are right or not is anyone's guess at this point really. No one can really say how many of these "Steam or no sale" people really mean it.

Since TOR, available only on Origin, is their highest selling pre-order ever already though... well, who knows, but they might be right.

27. Re: Always on DRM in Driver: San Francisco Jul 27, 2011, 13:10 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 12:51:
Unfortunately you contributed to ubis decision of reinstating this fucking drm by buying the games in the first place. Best attitude to show ubi, not buy it and not pirate it. Ignore the fuckers completely and don't buy their fucking games otherwise you're legitimizing the drm in their view.

I agree that is the best way to send them a message. From my personal point of view however as long as DRM is irrelevant I don't care about it. If I were to use my wallet to send a message about DRM I wouldn't be buying any games at all for the most part. Instead I only buy games with DRM on them when that DRM is irrelevant.

33. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 12:49 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 12:37:
But under a grandfather clause, you could easily make the argument (if you're EA) that you designed the game to work this way with DLC, and you can't suddenly change your entire set-up because Valve changed the rules.

The DLC just has to be sold on Steam though, it doesn't have to be Steam exclusive or Steamworks. For example the Fable 3 DLC on Steam is basically just Games for Windows Live activation codes sold through the Steam storefront. EA could easily sell their DLC the same way, as Bioware points or as activation codes.

In the end it lends credence to your thought that EA is just fine with Valve pulling their games.

24. Re: Always on DRM in Driver: San Francisco Jul 27, 2011, 12:45 StingingVelvet

Bummer. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood had no DRM what-so-ever really, you could ignore the account stuff when you launched the game. Why would they go back to this archaic shit? I wonder if Brotherhood sold less than AC2 so they figured it made no difference? If that is the case I would guess that's actually because it was a $60 expansion pack.  

23. Re: Always on DRM in Driver: San Francisco Jul 27, 2011, 12:44 StingingVelvet

wtf_man wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 10:21:
If I were to pirate it, why would I buy it first?

If you despise the DRM but your personal morals prevent outright piracy then you could buy it and then play a pirated copy. Tons of people do that. I did that with Splinter Cell Conviction and Assassin's Creed 2.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

27. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jul 27, 2011, 12:39 StingingVelvet

I just pre-purchased this on Steam yesterday. The way I figure it I love cyberpunk so much that even if this sucks somehow I will still enjoy it immensely, just for being a cyberpunk shooter with RPG elements. If it actually ends up being a Deus Ex game, well, that's even better.

I enjoyed Invisible War for the same reason.

30. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 12:37 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 12:35:
MW3 is going to have a subscription fee to play those maps...does steam want a cut of that? EA has already indicated that BF3 won't be on steam likely because of the DLC revenue sharing.

Uhh what? Is this more Tumbler BS or did I miss a news story somewhere? Since when did Activision decide to stop selling $15 mappacks? The only way I see that happening is if they start selling $15 subscriptions at the exact same time. And where has EA indicated anything about BF3 coming to Steam?

I think he means that the CoD Elite thing comes with the maps, but that's not really a sub to play them. You just get codes for them if you are a subscriber. People seem to be utterly baffled by that service and assume it is tons of things it isn't.

29. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 12:36 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 10:29:
DA2 came out before Valve made this change, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah but the DLC just came out. One would assume you are only violating the new ToS when you actually start selling DLC outside of Steam.

News Comments > On Risen 2 DRM

54. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 27, 2011, 02:55 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 02:21:
I don't give a shit what their FAQ says. Thanks anyway.

So you're saying that the GamersGate installer doesn't require an internet connection? If that's the case, that's pretty cool. I might buy stuff from GamersGate more often. However, I don't know why they would make inaccurate claims in their official FAQ.

Your download the games through an app. When the games are downloaded the app launches the installer. If you backup the download during this timeframe it has no DRM on it from Gamersgate what-so-ever. After installation GG will remove the files or encrypt the installer, but during installation they are DRM free.

I don't like explaining it in detail because the more publicized it is the more likely it will go away. GG themselves know about it though, and their customer support crew basically wink and nod at you if you ask them about it.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 53.
< Newer [ 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ] Older >