Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On December 12, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

114. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:11 StingingVelvet

Gotta love how the reaction to Ubisoft doing this is "OMG TRAVESTY" and the reaction to Blizzard doing it is much more mixed. "Well, I have internet all the time anyway…"

For one thing I do not have internet all the time, nor do I know anyone who does. It goes down from time to time and just recently I went 4 days without internet due to a wiring issue in the neighborhood. Not to mention moving or whatever else.

I don't play mutliplayer games, that's the end all be all really. By making Diablo 3 a multiplayer only experience Blizzard have removed any desire for me to buy the game. I'm sure this decision will pan out for them because millions of people won't care, but for me it's waaaaayyyyy over the line and just as bad as Ubisoft.

The really scary thing is that I am considering piracy for the first time in my adult life. I cannot give them money and support this decision, but I know a singleplayer offline version of the game will be on torrents eventually if not on day one. It will take a lot of moral struggling to decide what to do about that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Jul 30, 2011, 18:38 StingingVelvet

Okay I actually judged this game too harshly and too quickly. It IS multiplayer centered, I can't imagine anyone having a real argument otherwise. It IS kind of like an MMO in that character progression is why you are playing. It is NOT Deus Ex: The Indie Version, which I think a lot of people were hoping for. It is NOT Precursors or STALKER with cyberpunk themes.

The basic gameplay is you have a hub world from which you launch missions. Main campaign missions take you to new areas and have a rough storyline framed around them. You can also take side missions in areas you already played for bonus money and exp that have no real story ("destroy the enemy radar beacons!"). In very blunt terms the hub area has like 8 doors you can enter that go to 8 different maps (huge maps) and on these maps are MMO style missions where you blow something up, kill something, hack something or simply reach a destination. In the main story these maps change every mission and there is a thin story around it all, in side missions it is just exp farming.

For singleplayer gamers if you love cyberpunk and character development in an FPS it is worth a playthrough I suspect but I doubt you will fall in love with it. The enemies are basically bots and the missions are thinly developed. For coop gamers I think this could be a real great game… like Borderlands but dedicated to the PC, cyberpunk flavored and with deeply customizable characters.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution PC FOV Option

2. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution PC FOV Option Jul 30, 2011, 17:17 StingingVelvet

Jesus... the menus I have seen and now this, along with some smaller bits, make this sound like the best PC port in a long time.

Looking forward to it.

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Jul 30, 2011, 16:18 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Jul 30, 2011, 15:24:
So you must of disliked Stalker or System Shock(s) also then? If done right, like this game has, it is an awesome experience.

If someone prefers linear shooters, I guess that's fine too but I certainly don't think its fair to call this game design 'suffering'.

I'm not talking about linearity. I am talking about being dumped into an arena to fight endlessly spawning bots.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Jul 30, 2011, 13:40 StingingVelvet

Bumpy wrote on Jul 30, 2011, 11:32:
True it is definitely designed with MP in mind but I have not found the SP to suffer at all from this design choice.

I would call everything being in a large arena map and respawning random enemies suffering.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Jul 30, 2011, 05:09 StingingVelvet

Sooooooo this is totally a multiplayer coop game. Anything else is superfluous.  

News Comments > THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses

59. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 29, 2011, 20:38 StingingVelvet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 05:48:
Based on the sales of this game, of crysis, and of gears of war on PC, i would say people do not like linear 3rd person rail shooters with aliens.

Uh... Crysis is not super linear, first off, and it sold well. Gears of War also sold well. Halo sells well. I could go through a ton of other successful linear alien shooters as well.

Honestly RFA was very enjoyable to me because it was more fast-paced and fun than most shooters this generation. In the last half it was almost as fast as Quake.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Getting PC Features

36. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Getting PC Features Jul 29, 2011, 20:33 StingingVelvet

I actually enjoyed the game (yeah yeah, fuck off) so being able to use 4 weapons in a future replay would be nice.  

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Jul 29, 2011, 20:28 StingingVelvet

I love cyberpunk so much I'm buying it. Seems like opinions are divided on it.  

54. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 29, 2011, 01:18 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 22:50:
As Verno said, those games weren't criticized because they were different. They were criticized because they made some really lousy design choices. That said, even with those mistakes, DA2 managed to sell 2 million units.

Ehhh... DA2 I could agree is objectively flawed but Invisible War is pretty good as a cyberpunk shooter RPG for the time it came out. Almost every complaint I hear about is focused on downgrades from Deus Ex other than the small areas.

I can't really agree with that. I like shooters and I like stealth games but I certainly wasn't happy when Ubisoft turned Splinter Cell into a shooter. Similarly, if Thief 4 is turned into a shooter, I'll be even more pissed off.

That's the exact thing I don't agree with. It's just different philosophies I guess. I would love a real Thief sequel with modern graphics but if I get an awesome game I get an awesome game, end of story.

50. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 21:01 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 20:04:
Well apologies if I misrepresented; it just seems like sometimes you argue for argument's sake, but maybe I have the wrong impression.

I do like to debate but I never make up opinions just to do so.

I was all over pre-ordering Armageddon until how I found out they were utterly abandoning what I loved about Guerrilla. Then it completely fell off my radar. That's not bashing a game for what it isn't; it's knowing what I liked and being disappointed that it didn't take what made the last game great and improve upon it, which is what I think the majority of RF fans hoped for and expected.

I might have liked that game. RFG was very boring to me because the missions and story were nothing basically, just blips on a map. There was no real depth to the gameplay. If they had worked on that I might have liked another open world game.

It sounds like you are blaming gamers for their tastes, which seems odd.

People like linear alien shooters, this was a good linear alien shooter. It was largely ignored because people wanted it to be like RFG. I personally do not understand that, I take every game as its own thing. That's why I can like sequels that are different from their predecessors, like say Dragon Age 2 or Deus Ex IW... I don't demand or even expect that they be like their prequels.

News Comments > On Ubisoft DRM

4. Re: On Ubisoft DRM Jul 28, 2011, 20:57 StingingVelvet

ASeven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 20:49:
Classical example of spin. They mention piracy was down but they don't mention anything else, including sales.

Indeed.

47. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 19:12 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 18:55:
It would seem that you are settling into your familiar role of contrarian again SV, so I'll bow out now. I hate that exercise.

I don't play any roles dude, and if you think I am the one playing contrarian on this forum that blows my fucking mind. In any case I say what I think... RFA was a very good third-person alien shooter in my opinion. It saddens me it was largely bashed and ignored because it wasn't a different kind of game, not because of its quality.

46. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 19:11 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 17:43:
*snort*
Yeah, those dumb fucking customers. How dare they want something in the vein of style A, then refuse to buy something in the vein of style B. That's just really fucking stupid!

If they like style B and the game is good at style B then yes, they're stupid.

40. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 17:34 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 17:30:
No, he's acting like linear games that follow successful open world entries in the same franchise don't sell well. I liked Red Faction Armageddon for what it was but what it was simply wasn't anything special so it's no surprise it hasn't sold well. The open world aspects they added to Guerilla were a big part what separated it from generic third person shooters.

Why did you want RFG again though? We talk on these forums about wanting new IP and new ideas, innovation and progress, yet whenever a sequel is not exactly the same as the previous title we bash the fuck out of it. I really don't understand that.

Red Faction was a setting, an IP. It had first-person shooters, third-person bug hunts and open-world games to it's name. Where in the rulebook does it say it had to stick with one of those? That the game following RFG had to be in the same style?

If you're main point is "hey consumers wanted more RFG and didn't get it so they sold less" then YES, I know, I agree with you. My point is: that's dumb.

38. Re: THQ Blames Red Faction: Armageddon for Losses Jul 28, 2011, 17:29 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 15:24:
Well, imagine if Grand Theft Auto 5 took place entirely in subway tunnels and was linear. Do you think it would sell better or worse than previous GTA games?

It wouldn't be either better or worse, it would just be different, then it should be weighed accordingly with games like it. Compared to recent third-person shooters RFA was very good. You're right though, every reviewer would cry out that GTA5 is a disappointment... that's my point though, I think that's silly. Also GTA has been open world since it's inception, RF has not.

Point is, the open world has come to define a lot of what GTA is about. For me, and apparently a lot of other gamers, RF:G did the same for the RF franchise and Armageddon was a disappointment as a result.

And yet some could say it was a return to the style of the originals. In the end both arguments are probably BS, the core point is that every game should be weighed on its own merits. RFA didn't deserve to be seen as a failure simply for not being in the same genre as another separate title.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Jul 28, 2011, 17:26 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 17:23:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 15:16:
Awww, I'm disappointed there isn't 10 posts in here already asking why they would ever make something millions of people buy.

What a shame. And here I was hoping for a totally misinformed lecture about business from someone who identifies with corporations more than other human beings. Shucks!

Hey let's make this personal for no reason! Yay! This thread is so awesome!

Nothing you say can outweigh the stupidity thrown at this series for being successful.

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam

67. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 28, 2011, 15:53 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 15:31:
Sure, why wouldnt I be?

Publishers can sell their games how they want to. I just have a problem with them selling a game at dozens of vendors and then making a DLC pack exclusively sold by just 1 of those vendors. I'm sure there are other cases of this happening, but none of have effected me until Crysis 2 (not that I was going to buy the map pack anyways), but I may have in the future on sale or something...but not anymore. Not when as a paying customer, I cannot even view the games store page on Steam and have no idea if I buy that DLC elsewhere if it will even work on my game.

Makes sense. I just asked because obviously a lot of people do dislike the idea of TOR only being on Origin, or BF3 being on Origin no matter where you buy it, etc. etc..

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Jul 28, 2011, 15:16 StingingVelvet

Awww, I'm disappointed there isn't 10 posts in here already asking why they would ever make something millions of people buy.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam

65. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 28, 2011, 15:15 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 13:30:
If something is to be exclusive, make it exclusive from the outset. Don't make DLC exclusive to 1 vendor, it's a stupid move.

So you're a-okay with TOR being Origin exclusive?

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >