Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4538 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

349. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 2, 2011, 13:15 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 11:14:
Funny how people are now wrapping their lips around the Torchlight 2 cock since this announcement. Don't get me wrong, I love Torchlight but the series can't hold a candle to Diablo in terms of story, characters and well pretty much everything in general. Torchlight is pretty much filler until Diablo 3 comes out. It certainly is the best "Diablo Clone" but that it's, it will always be just a diablo clone.

Baiting and vulgarity aside, I think it says a lot about your position in this debate that you already have Diablo 3 down as a great game way before you have ever played it.

Personally all the online DRM stuff not even considered I think the game sounds disappointing. No skill trees, a pretty bland look and the videos show it's pretty slow and simplistic. Remember that this game is not being made by the same developers who did Diablo 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

311. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 2, 2011, 03:47 StingingVelvet

Cram wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 03:28:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 03:17:
So if I can install the game and activate it, then "go offline" and never need a net connection again, I will buy the game. Let's hope they confirm that.

Nice to see a blue post about this, and hope it is confirmed. Bash has always been a bit...odd(?) about providing information and I definitely want a confirmation before I completely believe it. Diablo has always been a franchise I love and want everyone else to enjoy, so if this news is confirmed (Bash's post just isn't enough of a confirmation for me) and it is enough to help a few bluesnewsers here reconsider buying it, then awesome.

See my edit, ends up that post is almost a year old. That will teach me to follow people's links without looking at dates.

308. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 2, 2011, 03:17 StingingVelvet

According to a Blizzard employee comment on this page of their forums they are already rolling this back due to backlash. I quote:

There is offline single player, but it's something we're going to attempt to discourage as best as possible.

A lot of us, myself included, and probably a lot of you and your friends had the exact same Diablo II experience. You get the game, start playing, your friend says let's try co-op, and when you log in your characters aren't there. After a slight freakout moment and potentially some use of Webcrawler to search the World Wide Web with Netscape 6, you realized or figured out that you had to start over. That's actually an experience that can cause someone to stop playing the game. Maybe you or I let out a huge sigh, and maybe a brief mourning period after realizing the last 60 hours were completely wasted, but we pressed on. That's not the case for everyone. Maybe most people. I actually refused to start over for a while and continued on in single-player before finally jumping on Battle.net. Who knows what a lesser man would have done...

So, if we can get people online and creating character on Battle.net from the get-go, there's less chance of that catastrophe. But there's still a play offline option, if you should need it.

So if I can install the game and activate it, then "go offline" and never need a net connection again, I will buy the game. Let's hope they confirm that.

Edit: Actually that's an old comment from almost a year ago. Disregard. It was linked to on another forum by someone acting like it was a response to today's news.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2011, 03:47.

284. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 22:07 StingingVelvet

Hahahahaha... arstechnica:

Diablo 3 will also require a persistent Internet connection, and Blizzard's Rob Pardo agrees that it's kind of a pain in the butt. "I want to play Diablo 3 on my laptop in a plane, but, well, there are other games to play for times like that," he told 1up.

Just so we're clear, when you're bored on a plane, and you have your laptop, and you want to play the game you bought in order to fight boredom, Blizzard's official recommendation is that you play someone else's game. That's pride, right there.

News Comments > Hard Reset Trailer

1. Re: Hard Reset Trailer Aug 1, 2011, 21:30 StingingVelvet

Gimmie.  

278. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:59 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 20:53:
Yes. But they rarely make games I want to play. Blizzard isn't a 100% sell to me either. But yes to your question. I'm not getting burnt on persistent online connections, bottom line. If I were this would be a HUGE issue.

Honestly the internet thing is not a huge issue. It enrages me when I can't play something because my internet is down or their servers are down, but in the end it's a minor issue.

The thing I hate about this is corporate control. They want to control everything you are able to do with the game and I stand against that on principle.

272. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 20:38 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 20:04:
Ultimately I boil it down to that and that is why it's a non-factor to me. It's a meager requirement for me on this end. I get it that for some it won't be. I can't cry wolf over something that has a minuscule affect on me. Advanced sorries for those it does.

Honest question: did you say this about the Ubisoft version?

239. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 18:32 StingingVelvet

FloorPie wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:22:
Join the collective Velvet! Join us! Jooooin Usssss! Your life is incomplete without achievements! Don't know want to know and share with the world that you've slaughtered 23,047 whirling fetishes and ogre monsters! "Dude, I scored a Rune of catass! Sweet Bro!"

Someone commented the other day about me beating New Vegas on hardcore mode. I felt like my entire life was worthwhile because someone noticed.

235. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 18:26 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:06:
You can try to paint me a pirate all you like to deflect my arguments but I see it for the bullshit it is.

The only bullshit is coming from you. You can try to justify your morale crusade against this DRM by pirating the game for some holy cause, but in the end your just another stinking, lying thief.

Dude, I outright said I would almost surely not play a game I didn't pay for even in this circumstance. How long do you want to pretend otherwise?

227. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:59 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:55:
BE PART OF A SOCIAL NETWORK OR FUCK OFF!

Fine, you don't want my money then you don't get it. But I'm still gonna take your game off of a torrent site.

Fixed.

You can try to paint me a pirate all you like to deflect my arguments but I see it for the bullshit it is.

219. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:41 StingingVelvet

This part of the PC Gamer interview is really the worst to me:

PCG: Is there any way to make sure that people can’t bug you, though? To essentially replicate a completely single-player experience even though you’re required to be online?

Bridenbecker: There’s definitely a question as to how much an individual is participating in the community and how much you award them the option to say, “I’m no longer a participant.” I mean, the reality is that most people, when they’re in a game and they say that they’re busy, other players are going to respect that. If somebody happens to intrude, you know, it’s your friend. Just tell them, “Hey man, when I’m busy, leave me alone.”

BE PART OF A SOCIAL NETWORK OR FUCK OFF!

Fine, you don't want my money then you don't get it.

214. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:28 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:11:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:07:
Is this a joke? Seriously... is this meant to be humorous?

Are you only capable of giving useless passive-aggressive commentary...or are you even capable of putting words together and explaining how cheating is not a major factor in this? Did you even read the news story at all? Did you ever play Diablo 2 at all?

I don't give two shits about cheating because I am a SINGLEPLAYER GAMER. The whole question was about how this benefits ME, and it doesn't at all. You were asked to name one way this would benefit people like me and your response was that it would prevent multiplayer cheating.

You're either really ignorant or pretending to be. Not sure which.

204. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:07 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:44:
Bhruic wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:32:
Such as? Go ahead, list all the positives that forced connectivity offers to people who only want to do single player.

Cheating. If you don't know how it worked in D2, then scroll back through the messages and read. I will take a more secure multiplayer game environment if it means losing an offline singleplayer mode.

Is this a joke? Seriously... is this meant to be humorous?

171. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:30 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:26:
There have been several things already outlined as being positives for consumers. But it's clear many of you wish to ignore those in favor of your individual needs.

The benefits are solely for multiplayer gamers. They offer me NOTHING. And yes, of course I am only interested in my own desires for playing the game. Christ.

The irony is how some people bitched up and down that Torchlight was single-player and the entire point of games like this are multiplayer. Enter D3 an people are bitching that single-player can't be played offline. The irony is laughable.

Maybe those people are in two different camps? Ever think of that? That maybe it's two different styles of people complaining about each issue? Or is that too big a concept for you?

167. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:25 StingingVelvet

Elessar wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:23:
Fuckin A... I'm amazed so many people are bitching about the persistent connection. Maybe I'm just crazy, but real money being used in the AH for gold/items is WAY more important of an issue here.

It's kind of a shame they hit the same day as a double-whammy. They're both important issues to understand and debate.

163. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:20 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:14:
Uhhm, what? I quoted your whole sentence. You have stated several times already that you will consider pirating the game, even though you claim to have never done so before (in adult life). Would you like me to quote those to? Should you choose to do that, then all Im saying is you better buy the game first, otherwise you are part of the problem. But based on other threads lately, it's become clear that comprehension is not your strong suit.

Quoting one sentence from paragraphs is selectively quoting. That's not a complicated concept to grasp there. As for the rest of your post I said pretty bluntly that I doubt I could ever play a game I didn't pay for. Why not quote that part? Oh right, because it doesn't serve your desire to paint me as something I am not.

The simple fact of the matter is that Blizzard are telling me they don't want singleplayer gamer business. I am more than happy to in turn not give them my business.

153. removed Aug 1, 2011, 16:08 StingingVelvet

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 1, 2011, 17:39.

141. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:44 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:40:
Guild Wars can be played entirely solo from beginning to end without ever speaking to or joining with another person. They even have Heroes in the game to help the solo player.

Just because you are forced to enter the multiplayer HUBs to get from area to area doesnt matter, it could have been designed differently to separate them. So what you are saying is if Blizzard forced the player to enter a multiplayer HUB to play the single player game, then the persistent connection is ok?

For one thing Guild Wars was not the sequel to two offline games. For another thing Guild Wars never advertised itself as a singleplayer and multiplayer game. Lastly, Guild Wars was boring as shit when played solo and was obviously built around coop.

Diablo and Diablo 2 were great singleplayer games. Diablo 3 can be played the same way, but only online. It is really not difficult to see where the problems are here. For someone like me, someone who would play by myself all the time, the online requirement is just an amazing hassle and obvious corporate control. It literally offers me nothing. It makes the pirate copy the one that is worth more to me.

134. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:36 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:18:
Rofl, do you realize how many times you just contradicted yourself. You basically said "Hey, I am questioning if I should steal this"(in your adult life, I assume you pirated everything as a kid then), after you just said Blizzard has removed the desire for you to buy the game. That's a real fucking moral dillema right? A

I don't understand your reasoning here. I have no interest in the game as sold. I do not play multiplayer and I do not support the idea behind this game, a game with a traditional singleplayer aspect being an online service only. Buying the game would make a horrible statement that it is okay to do that. Then the next Fallout or next Mass Effect or whatever else is online only and we have a clusterfuck on our hands (we meaning singleplayer gamers).

There is no real dilemma about buying the game. I'm not buying the game. The dilemma is...

So basically your post can be summed up like this "Because of the DRM I am considering pirating this"

You are the reason why DRM like this exists. If you don't agree with always online connection..fine, but telling yourself whether torrenting this or not is a moral dillema just adds fuel to the DRM fire. Nice going jackass.

Usually DRM does not effect a purchase decision because it doesn't and can't stop me from playing. If those activations dry up or Steam closes down and there is no official alternative then I could just turn to the community, who will always make sure games can still be played. Call them cracks or whatever if you want, the point is I will always be able to play my legally purchased software.

This game though... this is different. Putting down my $60 for Diablo 3 is saying "hey there, I am okay with traditional singleplayer games being turned into online-only services." It's basically the same thing as supporting streaming. The company is always in control and the solo singleplayer gamer has to play online anyway for the sole reason of being under company control. I cannot... CANNOT... support that. It might happen anyway, I am sure millions will buy it, but I cannot in good conscience be one of them.

So since there is no way I am buying the game anyway the moral question turns to the fact that there will be a true offline singleplayer version of the game available. A product that is, for all intents and purposes, not being sold anywhere. When Blizzard are writing me off and saying "we don't want your business" how wrong is it really to write them off too? I mean let's face it the reason to buy singleplayer games in the current climate is to support developers and publishers... when I don't want to support one, or indeed think it would be against my principles to do so... the moral issue with piracy becomes extremely weakened.

All that said I don't think I could really play something I didn't pay for. I doubt I will actually pirate it. The only thing I think I might find acceptable would be to buy a duplicate copy of Diablo 2 and then download and play Diablo 3. Then they get some money out of it, but not money in support of their online only model.

118. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:22 StingingVelvet

MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:26:
That said I have to wonder if they had called this Hackamaslash or whatever and released it would the rage still be there? I mean I keep reading where people call this DRM and spyware but it seems pretty silly to me. They are just making Diablo 3 an online game. You may not like that, but it doesn't make it DRM or spyware. No one said Guild Wars or a <name a MMO> had always on DRM. Just seems odd to me.

A lot of people like myself played Diablo 2 offline. I have absolutely no interest in multiplayer unless the box says "Battlefield" on it. That's just me. By making this an online only game they are making me have no interest in it.

And yet it's not really a multiplayer only game. They point out in this news that you can play the whole damn thing solo. So why shut me out? Why not have offline characters and online characters exactly like Diablo 2 did? The answer is simple: this is a DRM method.

Always online DRM is supposed to be hated. We hated it with Ubisoft, why would this be any different? Because YOU only want to play multiplayer? Well good for you... you're not everyone.

4538 Comments. 227 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >