Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Dane

Real Name Dane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StingingVelvet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2008, 04:26
Total Comments 4435 (Master)
User ID 54622

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Metal Gear Survive to Require Internet Connection, Offer Microtransactions
12. Re: Metal Gear Survive to Require Internet Connection, Offer Microtransactions Jan 18, 2018, 23:22 StingingVelvet

Darks wrote on Jan 18, 2018, 10:18:
What they really mean is that they have designed the game is such a way that the online requirement is there to try and keep people from hacking the games currency.

I dont understand why every damn game has to be micro transactioned to death. Its like you cant even buy a game anymore without this bullshit raising its ugly head up.

Piracy, rising costs of larger dev teams or just greed, depending on your pessimism level. In any event, games as a service is seen as the only profitable path moving forward for "AAA" games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Robot Cache Promises Digital Game Resales
9. Re: Robot Cache Promises Digital Game Resales Jan 17, 2018, 06:26 StingingVelvet

Orogogus wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 03:44:
It's not even 25% of the original value, it's 25% of however much you get someone to pay you for a game. So you're probably looking at a little less than 25% of whatever it's going for on Steam or Humble Bundle or the gray market. And then I guess Robot Cache pockets the other 75%.

Splits it with the publisher/dev I would assume.

News Comments > Robot Cache Promises Digital Game Resales
7. Re: Robot Cache Promises Digital Game Resales Jan 17, 2018, 03:40 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 20:37:
25%? Suck my balls. I'd rather it gather digital dust than just give it away. This is the right idea, but it's greedy. Make it 75 points and it's a done deal.

I'd take 25% back from a lot of the dumb shit I've bought on Steam over the years in a heartbeat. It would add up, and I'll never play any of that stuff again.

Would I trade in good games I might play again for 25%? No, but that doesn't mean this would have no value.

News Comments > ESA Rebukes President Trump
128. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 12, 2018, 18:23 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 17:54:

I don't think anyone is calling for "no border."
Though many, myself included, are calling for an easier process, for the same reason we call for legalizing marijuana. We're spending a fortune on combating something very inefficiently, we're hurting good people while making it easy for bad people to skirt the law, and throwing more money at the problem seems incredibly unlikely to do much more than waste a lot of money.

There are absolutely many calling for no borders. Read the signs at the protests and whatnot, follow the "resistance" leaders on Twitter. No borders is one of their key slogans and goals, and the desire to prevent that is one of the key slogans and goals of the Trump/Brexit/French National Front shit. It's really all about globalism versus nationalism in my opinion. I'm over here saying globalism is a good goal over time but the Left-leaning politicians are trying to do it way too fast and sloppy.

118. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 12, 2018, 17:45 StingingVelvet

Beamer wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 17:13:
Again, people thought this about the Irish and the Italians. American survived. Prospered, even. Often, immigrants are hungrier than us, because they've seen how bad it can get.

And again, they're generally taking the lowest paying, least skilled jobs available. Who wants to be a migrant farmer? Certainly no Americans.

Sure, but that was a very different time for the country and world. We're switching from manufacturing to mentafacturing and losing jobs every day, we're not the country that desperately needs immigrants that we were when you're talking about. Also we let in 1,000,000 a year legally, more than any other country last time I checked, so again it's about limited resources and not just moving every poor soul into the U.S.

I'm generally a left-leaning centrist and I love America being a melting pot, I really do. However these "no borders!" arguments are really just not effective. We can't solve poverty by just moving everyone to a nicer country and calling it a day.

103. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 12, 2018, 17:10 StingingVelvet

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 16:55:
Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 15:29:
Well the reality is if all those people from all those countries come here than it's going to be just as shitty here.

How does that follow at all? Immigrants come here all the time and make decent lives for themselves. They go to school, get jobs, raise families. Why does them coming from a war-torn place mean that suddenly the US will be a worse place for having them here?

Because there's only so many resources and jobs to go around. This reminds me of the movie Elysium where they show the ruined Earth and the paradise space station. Spoilers, the good guys win and the end shows poor Earth people flooding into the paradise... but the first thing that has to pop into any rational mind is "well it won't be paradise for long."

Not saying the U.S. is paradise by any means, but the point is it's not like the solution to the problems countries like Haiti face is to just move everyone living there to the U.S. That's a terrible simplistic notion. The better avenue is to use our wealth to help those people in their communities make changes for the better.

P.S. What Trump said was terrible from a political standpoint, which is his usual "problem." Though I put problem in quotes because his no bullshit speaking style is exactly what his core base love him for.

News Comments > PC FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE Next Month
2. Re: PC FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE Next Month Jan 11, 2018, 22:28 StingingVelvet

I'm not usually a JRPG guy at all but I played a lot of this back in the day on a roomate's Playstation and thought it was really fun. Open areas, tactical combat. I'll likely get this.  

News Comments > DUSK Early Access
9. Re: DUSK Early Access Jan 11, 2018, 15:14 StingingVelvet

Never been into that kind of music, but the gameplay looks solid for a nostalgia game. I like the spooky New England vibe.  

News Comments > Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things
2. Re: Fortnite Meltdown Fix Breaks Things Jan 7, 2018, 14:50 StingingVelvet

Glad I chose an AMD Ryzen chip for my new build. It was kind of a hail mary that's paid off in this situation, and in benchmarks. Wonder if this crazy shit will have an impact on Intel's dominance.  

News Comments > Cloud Gaming Returns
21. Re: Cloud Gaming Returns Jan 4, 2018, 18:41 StingingVelvet

Even if the experience were damn near perfect I don't know who their audience would be. The costs are higher than maintaining a gaming PC. Isn't one of the first rules of business asking yourself who your product is for? Who is this for? Gamers who don't want to maintain a gaming PC already have consoles.  

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
46. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 00:32 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 19:28:
I keep hearing about how the PC market was struggling when he said that. I must have been asleep because I was gaming just same as I always have. The issue was people were equating not having AAA blockbuster 87206 or having very shitty port of AAA blockbuster 87206 with "struggling". That's an alternate reality that did n't actually exist.

Yeah well he was making big AAA mainstream targeted shooters at the time, so...

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
39. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 18:23 StingingVelvet

Cliffy B's words about PC gaming that pissed everyone off came at a time where the platform was really struggling. I remember reading constant articles about the death of PC gaming and watching more and more games become console exclusive around that time. Dragon Age and MMOs were pretty much all we had to flaunt on magazine covers and the like. It's a totally different world now after Steam, indies and other factors made the PC rise again like the phoenix it always is.

In short I don't blame the guy for sizing up the market at the time. Anyone in the same position would have likely done the same thing. His attitude wasn't any better or worse than all the other game dev dudebros of that time and era.

News Comments > Steam's Best of 2017
18. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 08:48 StingingVelvet

GinRummy wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 08:15:
Yes, thank you for saying what I feel too. I enjoyed Prey and finished it, but couldn't get into Dishonored 2 despite liking the first one. I also dug ELEX this year despite other people's bad reviews of it.

I own both but haven't played them yet. Took a couple years off from gaming and just dove back in last month.

Elex sounds like it's as good as the first Risen, which I'm excited about. Why didn't you like Dishonored 2? I just assumed it was mostly the same.

News Comments > Steam's Best of 2017
12. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 07:06 StingingVelvet

Lovely to see Witcher and Divinity on there. Singleplayer might be always a step away from another "it's dead Jim" article, but RPGs are the genre that consistently says otherwise. Wish I could say the same for Dishonored and Prey.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 1, 2018, 07:48 StingingVelvet

Not sure why this debate is even occurring anyway since PUBG went 1.0 in December, making it a 2017 game anyway. Unless the argument is "early access is always evil" which, like any extreme position of that sort, is silly. Could it lead to more early access games? Sure, but what's wrong with that? Some of the best PC games of the last few years were early access games it seems like.

P.S. I'd say the same for "DLC." Back in the day they were expansions and there were good ones and bad ones. Once the concept of smaller ones delivered digitally was sorted out and played with it became like any other thing, some are good and some are bad.

P.P.S. This anti-extreme positions thing kind of applies to everything in life, honestly.

News Comments > Play Star Trek Bridge Crew Without VR
13. Re: Play Star Trek Bridge Crew Without VR Dec 23, 2017, 01:24 StingingVelvet

Prez wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 12:22:
The problem for me with Bridge Crew isn't that it required VR. It's that I don't have a group of friends to play with. And playing with randos can be such a soul-crushing experience.

This pretty much applies to every multiplayer game in general. Well, outside of normal mindless deathmatch, which tends to be the most popular for that reason.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
39. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 22:27 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:08:
Because he's not a pirate..? Far Harbor is great and easily the best thing BGS has made in years. It's easily worth $15. Nuka-World was alright and worth about $5-7. The rest was just filler, though Automatron did let you make some pretty overpowered companions.

This sounds exciting. I just finished FO4 and thought it was good, better in some ways for Beth (factions, gunplay) but worse in other ways (quest design, dialog). If Far Harbor is better that makes me want to dive back in relatively soon. Was gonna take a break.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
16. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 00:37 StingingVelvet

These sales are great for catching up on the 2-3 years of gaming I missed. Got a lot in the Thanksgiving sale and now time to get the rest. Dark Souls 2 and 3, the more recent isometric RPGs, Vanquish and maybe Quantum Break? Gonna watch a bit of that one on the 'tube.  

News Comments > Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support
16. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 18, 2017, 06:28 StingingVelvet

Squirmer wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 15:25:
You say "online experiences", I hear "continual revenue stream".

Indeed. And they will justify it by quoting expenses and return on said advances not being adequate, but a lot of that is their own silly expectations.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 04:06 StingingVelvet

I'm sure everyone in the theater will appreciate catching your cold, Blue.  

4435 Comments. 222 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo