Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for YourName

Real Name YourName   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname YourNick
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 22, 2008, 21:21
Total Comments 224 (Novice)
User ID 54567

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2018, 20:36 YourNick

(perhaps they didn't read the entire post)

Aye there may be other minor noon-to-noon-time fluctuations, but the most major one that changes from season to season is due to changes in orbit speed (faster when closer.)

Because of this the Sun actually travels angularly faster across the sky in the Summer, but stays up longer because it travels along a longer arc than in the Winter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2018, 19:06 YourNick

Angle affects the amount area as seen by the Sun, which in turn is a major factor in Solar energy collection (and Seasons.) More area seen by the Sun the more Sun rays collected. 'as seen by' isn't a very good term I suppose, a more formal term would be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2018, 18:31 YourNick

It's also strange that the days are longer during the Winter than in the Summer. I don't mean 'daylight hours', yes those are shorter during the Winter, I mean the time from Noon to Noon.

The Earth spins around it's own axis at the same rate all year around, however, the Earth orbits faster when it's nearer to the Sun, hence it takes longer for the Sun to return to the highest point in the sky.

When viewed from above the Earth spins CCW and orbits CCW.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 7, 2018, 18:21 YourNick

Why are they trying to hide sales information?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 5, 2018, 16:25 YourNick

I don't like Apple only cabling. No good reason why new iStuff can't use the new usb-c connector, for example.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 5, 2018, 16:23 YourNick

Can you monitor an app's activities, see if there's much uploading without any apparent reason for doing so?  

News Comments > Independence Day Mobilization
1. Re: Independence Day Mobilization Jul 5, 2018, 16:20 YourNick

Maybe you'll be able to use it like a Vive controller.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2018, 19:30 YourNick

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/02/us/northeast-heat-wave-wxc/index.html
"While temperatures topping 90 degrees are not too uncommon for New York City, it is rare to see the heat last more than a couple of days.
The city could top 90 for up to 7 consecutive days this week -- something the National Weather Service in New York has said happens about once every 33 years."

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2018, 09:42 YourNick

Well, at least it's much cooler than Venus (800F!)  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2018, 00:41 YourNick

Anything >80F & >40hum is bad! I found a heat index chart showing just how bad considering the combination of the two
https://www.weather.gov/safety/heat-index
106F 40hum is borderline extreme danger!

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 29, 2018, 00:33 YourNick

Wow, 74deg F 88% humidity at 12am in New York. I thought the hottest months of the year were July and August, does it get worse?!

Whoa, 87deg F 54% humidity at 12am in Dallas. Sounds worse, but heat index wise it might be similar. (Oklahoma about the same as Dallas.)

Maybe it's another heat dome https://ny.curbed.com/2016/7/28/12303196/heat-dome-new-york-east-coast

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2018, 13:37 YourNick

Kind of ironic, a CO2 shortage with more CO2 in the atmosphere than there has ever been.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 25, 2018, 22:02 YourNick

Not there yet, just distance.
https://earth.google.com
Google Earth program also had 3DMouse support, easy to do on the web version if they wanted to.

22. Re: Bought the original Q1's retail CD (no box) for 99 cents, but... Jun 25, 2018, 09:11 YourNick

The Q1 cd also had other unlockable games such as Heretic on it, I believe you can get the unlock code on the internet. However I'd just buy the games from GoG or Steam for convenience. The cd is good for the music track though, can rip it to harddrive and source ports will play them.

Sure wish Steam would include source ports options, so when you press play it'll ask which source port you want to play the game with.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2018, 14:05 YourNick

Sure thing, this should work for any Quake client (place in /id1/autoexec.cfg)
m_yaw 0.022
m_pitch 0.022
alias zoom120 "fov 120; sensitivity 16;alias zoomin zoom060;alias zoomout zoom120"
alias zoom060 "fov 60; sensitivity 8;alias zoomin zoom030;alias zoomout zoom120"
alias zoom030 "fov 30; sensitivity 4;alias zoomin zoom015;alias zoomout zoom060"
alias zoom015 "fov 15; sensitivity 2;alias zoomin zoom015;alias zoomout zoom030"
zoom120

bind mwheelup zoomin
bind mwheeldown zoomout

Works great. I also made one just like it for Quake 1&2 & GZDoom.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2018, 08:22 YourNick

If you use QuakeSpasm, to improve the gameplay experience try putting these into id1/autoexec.cfg

host_maxfps 160
gl_triplebuffer 1

With host_maxfps 160 you get smooth motion, but not so high that it breaks any physics. I always play Quake1 now in 4K. I've also make a zoom script to zoom with the mousewheel.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 21, 2018, 08:18 YourNick

Ya lots of idtechs were licensed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech

just a few highlights
-idtech 1: Doom, Heretic, Hexen
-idtech 2: Quake 1&2, Hexen2, the original Team Fortress mod (not licensed, but immensely popular)
-Like you mentioned a bunch of games using idtech3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_3#Games_using_the_engine

(Sure wish American Mcgee's Alice and FAKK 2 could still be purchased, such as on Steam.)

I thought Doom3 focused too much on dynamic shadows making the game way too dark for my taste. While I really like idtech3, I was disappointed that it dropped variable translation control it's predecessors had.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 20, 2018, 18:25 YourNick

The 1990s were the 'golden age' of iD. Doom ushered in the fast paced FPS. Quake expanded to limitless 3D geometry, mods, and Quakeworld networking which set the bar for mutliplayer game networking. Quake 3 did a good job integrating AI into multiplayer gaming, not just HI (human intelligence) anymore.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2018, 17:17 YourNick

How long do you plan to stay in the Philippines?  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2018, 09:03 YourNick

Chroma subsampling needs to go away just like interlacing needed to just go away. Dishonest marketing for both.  

224 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo