Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 813 (Graduate)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
32. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 09:16 JoeNapalm

Kajetan wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 06:58:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 06:39:
So, in these tiny cities... it really only simulates about 10% of the population and the rest aren't?
It does say "SIM City" on the box, doesn't it? You can't critizise a simulation for simulating stuff

Except that it's not even simulating that 10%.

They just form a huge conga line as they try to cram that 10% all into the same trailer home.

This is the entirety of their "AI" in pseudocode:

FOR ALL SIMS
1. GOTO HOUSE
2. IF HOUSECAPACITY = FULL
THEN HOUSE = HOUSE + 1
3. GOTO 1

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
24. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 04:11 JoeNapalm

entr0py wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 00:58:
As much as the launch was a failure they could still make this into a passable game once they fix all the server issues and disabled features and of course reduce the price by half.

Have you not read wonawonka's comments?

He's right. The game is inherently broken. It doesn't t actually simulate anything, it's just a huge mob of if-then-else that rapidly breaks down with size. THIS is why it is such a small map.

Nine Lords of Night, the best thing to do is just build nothing but residential. That works freaking great. If you try to build a working city it just breaks down, unless you resort to ridiculous tricks like having no intersections at all, just lots of places to u-turn.

TLDR: It's not a sim, and you can't build cities. This cannot be patched.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed
8. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed Mar 13, 2013, 12:30 JoeNapalm

There is simply no way that this game can live up to how good I want it to be.

It's not their fault. It's mine.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 15:35 JoeNapalm

I'm a huge Shadowrun fan, and this looks great.

This and Cyberpunk2077 are going to be interesting to see. So hard to capture the depth of PnP gameplay in a PC game.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year
20. Re: The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year Feb 5, 2013, 14:29 JoeNapalm

I think I must not be "hardcore" enough, or something.

I WANT to like the first one...but I've tried to get into it three or four times and just lose interest. Everyone says "you gotta stick with it" but there's something wrong with the story and/or game if I am struggling to maintain interest a few hours in.

(That said...Cyberpunk w/ Pondsmith? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! *thud*)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Into the Black
24. Re: Into the Black Jan 25, 2013, 17:00 JoeNapalm

JJ is a good choice.

Joss Whedon would have been a GREAT choice.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode
23. Re: SimCity: Details on Player Region Limits and Color-Blindness Mode Jan 25, 2013, 15:33 JoeNapalm

Not to defend EA (*shudder*) or previews, but bitching that a PREVIEW is not critical of a yet-to-be-released game, to the point of many of you even calling them "reviews"...that's just silly.

A PREview is not a REview.

Previews are part of the hype machine. If you don't want a sickening love-fest, I recommend doing what I do - don't read previews. They are a marketing tool, not a critique.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2013, 14:41 JoeNapalm

Bodolza wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 13:36:
Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 12:05:
Anyway, this really needs to become classified as a crime.

If posting pictures (that you own) of people without their explicit permission became a crime, it would instantly kill Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, and any other photo sharing site.

Say good-bye to news magazines as well.

Where do I sign?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 14:34 JoeNapalm

More Elder Scrolls! Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaooh...it's an MMO.

Nevermind.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 22, 2013, 14:19 JoeNapalm

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 13:39:
and yet, even if nader is correct i'd still rather leave my kids in the care of electronic molesters than with the physical ones at the church. At least activision won't move the offending games to another town after each incident to avoid bad publicity. Of course video game lobbies aren't as strong as the clergy's, so we'll probably not be bothered by studies of the negative effects on society from unwavering belief in the magic man and his cults. Hell it's not like it's ever caused any massive violent outbursts before right?

Guy says "Can't we just stop being such assholes to one another?!" so people nail him to a tree and then spend 2000 years killing each other over what he meant by it.

What's not to love?

(Then again, I've been told I have a rather dark sense of humor...)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 17, 2013, 10:00 JoeNapalm

He was charged with hacking a protected system.

Violation of Title 18, Section 1030 of the USC is a felony.

The guidelines then ramp up the sentencing based on damages, which in this case were non-trivial.

I'm not sure what "standard and expected charges" this guy thought were coming, but I can tell you that he was greatly misinformed.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 16, 2013, 12:21 JoeNapalm

I can't help but notice that no one mentions that Swartz could have plead out - six months at Club Fed Minimum Security - or that he had struggled with depression and thoughts of suicide for years.

Federal sentencing guidelines are based on the amount of damages - he compromised ("hacked") systems and stole millions of pages of documents that, at the time, were not free.

While I commend the guy's activism and agree his death is sad, he went too far, he broke the law, he was facing REASONABLE consequences for those actions. If he refused to cut a deal and wanted to roll the dice in court, then yes - he was risking a huge sentence.

You can't plead "NOT GUILTY" and expect to get off just because you don't agree with the law. I don't like to drive slow, but that won't get me out of trouble if I drive 200mph through a school zone. He never contested the fact that he DID the criminal acts - if he disagreed on principle, cut a deal for "No Contest" - don't plead "Not Guilty" then off yourself because you're being prosecuted for crimes you actually committed.

But as the old saying goes - if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 10:33 JoeNapalm

Warskull wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 10:12:
I would say maybe between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 in my experience.

So...1 in 4?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I'd like more options for difficulty adjustment - I played on Normal and then on Classic. I didn't like the feeling on Classic of my troops being basically handicapped...I'd rather play on Normal, but with Hardcore numbers of aliens to ramp up the difficulty.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > HAWKEN Beta Opens
6. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 13:44 JoeNapalm

Wow...that's a turn.

Up until now, I've only heard how awesome this game will be - now I can't find any positive commentary.

Interesting.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Top 10
32. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 15, 2012, 12:17 JoeNapalm

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 12:01:
Sepharo wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 11:24:
Do you know if releasing the rats behind a closed door in doctor blahblah's lab at the beginning count as a kill? I mean, they're not my rats, they just happened to get loose. For that matter how are sidequest kills/stats handled in the end chapter/zone total up?
Ah, that's disappointing - that means it will be incredibly difficult to collect all gold and bonuses. I'm trying a clean playthrough and didn't realise they counted as deaths - I remember just recently knocking out a guard with a sleep dart but him later getting eaten by rats, so I guess I'm going to have to restart. It shouldn't count as a kill unless your actions directly caused their death.

A game like Dishonored really shouldn't include quick-save / regular save as an option but should rely on regular auto-saves. It makes stealth so much more rewarding when you can't save just before something. A great example of that is Metro 2033 - at first the lack of quick-save annoyed me but it made the game so much more rewarding. With Dishonored when I forced myself not to save at all it was so much more tense and more rewarding. In fact now that I remember I'm going to unbind the quicksave button so I don't do it instinctively.

Did...did you just posit the theory that checkpoints are better than an actual save game system?

Sir, I'm with the PC Police. I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your keyboard and mouse. And, unfortunately, I'm going to have to tase you. Repeatedly.

I understand your points - I, for one, have been rigorous about not reloading my XCOM game, even to save lives, but...

It's in the regs. I don't make the rules, I just tase people.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2012, 10:43 JoeNapalm

Who waaaants to liiiiiiive forever?

Who waaaants to liiiiiiive forever?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode
16. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 14:26 JoeNapalm

deqer wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:22:
"<Player>: Blizzard, I don't have a normal life. I hide from things. I don't want my friends to see me. I also don't want to take the heat and don't have the guts to say 'no' to my friends. I just want to avoid it completely, because I'm not normal.

So please, add a 'Appear Offline' option."

"<Blizzard>: Okay, this indeed sounds like a priority. We will implement this."

So...by your logic, NOT having the ability to even appear offline, let alone be offline, to play a game by yourself, is "normal"...?

Is this a Twitter thing?

Not everyone needs, or even wants, to be connected to everyone else everywhere at all times.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans
10. Re: Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans Sep 19, 2012, 14:08 JoeNapalm

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:08:

Had they had that video as a ending, I would be offering a kidney for the next game. But the ending was so badly contrived that as others have said I have no more interest in Mass Effect.

And this from a guy who's forum avatar is an N7 logo.

Great job, Bioware! Great job.

(One of my favorite IPs, and at the end, I was simply depressed.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > BIS Arrests Follow-up
4. Re: BIS Arrests Follow-up Sep 12, 2012, 14:12 JoeNapalm

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 11:54:
ASeven wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 11:40:
Fucking insane. Then again Turkey and Greece hate each other with a passion unseen in this world. They have been enemies since a long, long time ago and the terrible wound of the Armenian genocide Turkey perpetrated on the Balkans and on Greece will never heal by the looks of it.

Hence Greece is VERY serious about people snooping on their military. Still, this is insane.

Yeah, if it can be seen from outside of the grounds of the base, it ain't a secret. This kind of hypersensitivity is ridiculous, both there and here in the US as well.

You're being naive if you think that, going anywhere in the world, taking pictures of gov't/military installations isn't going to be met with SOME sort of negative reaction.

Doubly so if you believe that said reaction is entirely unwarranted.

These guys will be held while their story and backgrounds are checked out - then they will be held some more until some political poker chips are exchanged.

I generally am a believer in the axiom that it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission - but I tend to draw the line at things like military installations.

They should have asked for permission first. They probably didn't, because they figured they would be told "No". Now they are being told "No" in a more direct fashion.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > G4 Makeover Coming?
6. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 11:51 JoeNapalm

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 09:50:
Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

"Fuckin' A!"

Ninja Warrior is the only thing worth saving...the rest of the network is an infuriating affectation, at best.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

813 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo