Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 812 (Graduate)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wizardry on Steam
15. Re: Wizardry on Steam Sep 11, 2013, 11:55 JoeNapalm

Dammit!

Now I want to play Wizardy I.

Serious nostalgia.

-Jn-

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Total War Rome II Preloads
6. Re: Total War Rome II Preloads Aug 29, 2013, 11:00 JoeNapalm

But...but...

I swore I was never pre-ordering another game!

The agony! THE AGONY!!!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Support Plans
20. Re: Shadowrun Returns Support Plans Aug 6, 2013, 09:08 JoeNapalm

Flatline wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 13:28:
JoeNapalm wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 09:04:
Sho wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 14:46:
D
About six hours in now, still having a blast. Yes, it's a bit on the casual side, but that's exactly what I need to relax inbetween shifts right now.

Yeah, I'm sure it's tough with no other casual games out there...just all those lovingly detailed re-creations of complex PnP RPGs.

Am I the only one who was disappointed by the depth of this game? It's more like a really good iPad game. I think that's part of why the campaign is so short...it is just long enough for you to wish there were more, but not so long as you get bored.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

No, no I'm not upset at the depth of the game, because half the product I bought was an editor system to create new content, and people are going fucking gangbusters on it.

Bitching that this game is shallow is right around bitching that Minecraft doesn't have enough story-driven content. Okay to be fair it's more like bitching that the original Neverwinter Nights campaign was lackluster- that sort of wasn't the point.

Come back in six months when there's a few thousand more modules to play. And in 2-3 months we're getting *another* official campaign/setting for free (if you kickstarted) that has a supposedly more open-ended campaign to it.

I seriously gotta wonder what you expect for 25 bucks and a million dollar budget.

Comparing what is basically Gangsters: City of Omerta plus elves with Minecraft is a great example. HBS had a million dollar budget off Kickstarter, and I paid 3.5x as much for SR.

If you think that SR had the depth of Minecraft, you must have gotten more out of this engine than I did. Yes, the campaign was well written and the art was good.

But I burned through this in 15hrs, taking my time, with an Ork who only spent Karma on Quickness / Ranged Combat / Assault Rifles / Dodge. Did I have fun? Yes.

But it is shallow.

I got hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of the $10 I dropped on Minecraft, because of the depth of the game, and it was done by one dude with NO budget.

Now, it's apples and oranges, but I'm using the example YOU picked.

SR isn't a bad game. It's just not very deep. Maybe the modders will gin it up into an honest-to-bog Shadowrun4 emulator, but that's likely years down the road.

If this were a $6 iPad game, I'd be tickled pink. As a PC RPG, I felt it was entertaining but lacked depth to warrant more than the 15hrs I put into it.

If the engine has the flexibility for someone to mod it into something vastly more detailed, an approximation of actual Shadowrun, or even XCOM or Jagged Alliance, then I'll be thrilled, but as a finished product it is not very deep.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Support Plans
16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Support Plans Aug 5, 2013, 09:04 JoeNapalm

Sho wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 14:46:
D
About six hours in now, still having a blast. Yes, it's a bit on the casual side, but that's exactly what I need to relax inbetween shifts right now.

Yeah, I'm sure it's tough with no other casual games out there...just all those lovingly detailed re-creations of complex PnP RPGs.

Am I the only one who was disappointed by the depth of this game? It's more like a really good iPad game. I think that's part of why the campaign is so short...it is just long enough for you to wish there were more, but not so long as you get bored.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Aug 2, 2013, 09:32 JoeNapalm

I hate checkpoint saves, but honestly, I only restarted a level once, and it was the very last one (I over-estimated the tactical situation, reloaded, and beat the final "boss" in a single round).

"Save anywhere" should be available on pretty much any PC game, though.

I have a weird relationship with this game. I liked it just enough to be annoyed that it is so short.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 16:20 JoeNapalm

KSP is a great game...one of the very few I've played, in recent years, with an actual learning curve.

First few hours are spent simply trying to get into orbit, then get to the Mun, then LAND on the Mun, then land a Kerbal on the Mun, then rescue the Kerbal on the Mun because you can't get him back because you crash landed and wouldn't have had enough fuel, anyway...

I stopped playing, for now, because I wanted to enjoy it all over again in release.

Shadowrun Returns is bittersweet, for me. I'm surprised by all of the glowing praise, here. This is normally a tougher crowd. I love all things Shadowrun, and I enjoyed SR, but I was disappointed by the kiddie-pool depth of the thing. It's more like a very good iPad game than a PC game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Early Launch Delays
3. Re: Marvel Heroes Early Launch Delays May 29, 2013, 10:21 JoeNapalm

Yeah, I call bullshit.

That would be stupid and dangerous.

I have (unintentionally) gone into the 130+ hour range, and you do NOT want to go there...*shudder*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Gunpoint Demo Now; Game Next Week
7. Re: Gunpoint Demo Now; Game Next Week May 28, 2013, 15:39 JoeNapalm

I'm not a huge platformer, either...but this, for some reason, reminds me of Impossible Mission, back on the C-64.

Might try the demo.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Square Enix's "Extraordinary" Losses
20. Re: Square Enix's May 13, 2013, 16:34 JoeNapalm

Deus Ex and Sleeping Dogs both need sequels.

Get your @#$% together, Square Enix!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: The Night of the Rabbit Game trailer. May 7, 2013, 09:09 JoeNapalm

Night of the Lepus!

I don't think they really exist...

ARRGH! Nom nom nom nom...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Morning Patches
5. Re: Morning Patches Apr 25, 2013, 13:43 JoeNapalm

Yeah, I'm ashamed to admit I had the same problem.

I should be all over that game, but just never made it over the initial curve...

OH GOD! I'm part of what's wrong with gaming!

*douses self with gasoline*

*lighter*

*FOOM!*

*no effect whatsoever*

Oh...right...Ifrit. Nevermind.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Thunder Wolves Trailer
1. Re: Thunder Wolves Trailer Apr 8, 2013, 09:48 JoeNapalm

Thunder Wolves? Really?

Thunder Wolves?

"Guys! I've got it! We'll make a helicopter game! It will be awesome, like...like Airwolf and Blue Thunder combined! Yeah! THUNDER WOLVES!"

*facepalm*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Mar 30, 2013, 07:37 JoeNapalm

Wait wait wait...

Potsdam, NY?!

That explains it. Weather anomalies, the conflux of ley lines, permanent brain damage from cabin fever...whatever the reason, pretty much everyone who stays in Potsdam long enough is crazy.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 30, 2013, 07:30 JoeNapalm

Dr. Meinheimer! Nooo!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > New APB Game Kickstarter
1. Re: New APB Game Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 09:17 JoeNapalm

As a long-time supporter of APB, in the face of all it's failings, may I humbly suggest you FIX YOUR @#$% before starting work on another revenue stream??

Thanks.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Door Kickers Announced
3. Re: Door Kickers Announced Mar 22, 2013, 11:10 JoeNapalm

Remember:

Drive your corners, and a cross is faster than a button-hook.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SimCity Patch Addresses Traffic Snags
12. Re: SimCity Patch Addresses Traffic Snags Mar 20, 2013, 07:13 JoeNapalm

Can you still just build an entirely Residential city and be wildly successful?

Yes?

Then the game is still broken. If the best way to win is to not even try, then it is BROKEN.

If you know someone who has been playing "non-stop" they are a liar. The game only recently became at all stable. If they have been "having a blast" with mindless traffic that cripples any city with any intersections an a pop over "100,000" (read 10,000) and a game system that actually punishes you more the more you try to meet the needs or your city, then...good for them, I guess.

Do they wanna buy a bridge?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
47. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:39 JoeNapalm

Conspiracy may be strong word, but they certainly knew what they were doing when they limited the previews to an hour.

Because after an hour, the wheels come off.

I don't believe for one second that they didn't know that it was broken when they put it in the box.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
38. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:10 JoeNapalm

Tumbler wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:08:
Hopefully someone can put out a simple to install mod that just rips this game free of the online mode and lets people just have fun. Quadrupling the size of the city space would be nice too.

Except that it's so broken that quadrupling the size of the city would mean it all goes to @#$% 4x faster.

Look, folks - this isn't about their crappy launch issues. Now that we know how little the servers are really doing, I'm gonna grab my tinfoil tri-corner hat and declare that the launch issues were likely orchestrated.

What's that, you say? Orchestrated? PHSAW!

But wait! Once they started ironing out the launch issues it took all of, what, a day before everyone realized that there is NO FREAKING AI??

They got an extra week of sales from stupid people who heard that the initial hour or so of gameplay was fun (which it is) and that all the issues were just rocky MMO launch issues.

Instead, they released a completely fubar non-functional non-Sim non-City non-game, and everyone's focused on their DRM. Yeah, the DRM sucks, their launch sucks, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the GAME sucks after the initial hour or two.

I hired a gypsy to curse my friend that coerced me into pre-ordering, installing Origin, and bringing shame upon the House of Napalm.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
32. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 09:16 JoeNapalm

Kajetan wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 06:58:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 06:39:
So, in these tiny cities... it really only simulates about 10% of the population and the rest aren't?
It does say "SIM City" on the box, doesn't it? You can't critizise a simulation for simulating stuff

Except that it's not even simulating that 10%.

They just form a huge conga line as they try to cram that 10% all into the same trailer home.

This is the entirety of their "AI" in pseudocode:

FOR ALL SIMS
1. GOTO HOUSE
2. IF HOUSECAPACITY = FULL
THEN HOUSE = HOUSE + 1
3. GOTO 1

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

812 Comments. 41 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo