Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JoeNapalm

Real Name JoeNapalm   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2008, 01:23
Total Comments 843 (Graduate)
User ID 54497

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week
3. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week Oct 3, 2018, 10:30 JoeNapalm

GinRummy wrote on Oct 3, 2018, 10:26:
Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2018, 10:19:
I've been holding off on WotC until a steep sale. Unsure why, loved XCOM, loved the expansion, loved XCOM 2 (though maybe less), and am excited for this, but always felt it was a pretty high priced expansion. Maybe this will get me off my butt.
I've been doing the same. 40 bucks is a lot and I hadn't wanted to play the game again yet when it was released, but that's itch is growing now. A half-price sale would pull the trigger for me, and this bonus helps. Is there a Steam Halloween sale?

If it helps at all, WoTC is more like XCOM 2.5 than an expansion.

-Jn-

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 18, 2018, 08:43 JoeNapalm

WoW is better with friends, but talking your friends into playing WoW doesn't make you a better friend.

-Jn-

News Comments > No Man's Sky Free Weekly Updates Begin
5. Re: No Man's Sky Free Weekly Updates Begin Aug 31, 2018, 09:56 JoeNapalm

Eventually I'll get this cheap on a Steam sale, and be perfectly happy to have waited out all the hype and gnashing of teeth.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Universim Early Access
3. Re: A new breed of god game! Aug 29, 2018, 09:41 JoeNapalm

I know I never encouraged my Tiger avatar to eat my villagers, or amuse himself by playing with them like cat toys...

...nope...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Starflight 3 Crowdfunding
9. Re: Starflight 3 Crowdfunding Aug 29, 2018, 09:37 JoeNapalm

Wow. This is right up there with Wizardry, Gato, Ultima III, Zyll, Crescent Hawks, and Zork in my formative-years anthology.

Not sure I'm wow'd by what they're doing with it as much as now I want to find an old copy and try to DOSBOX it...

...I wonder how long it would take me to decrypt and build a new code wheel?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Hidden Message
12. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Hidden Message Aug 28, 2018, 08:40 JoeNapalm

I think they did a pretty good job of matching the look and feel of CP2020 -- never makes sense to me when people "re-imagine" a well-loved and established IP. Instead they got Maximum Mike working with them, which is good (I trust the devs to make him leave his dolls at home).

The "spongy" combat thing may be hard to judge from this -- in CP2020, combat was super deadly and unforgiving...but if you had enough chrome and armor, you could walk through fire. That's why they had C-SWAT, like in the original trailer from years ago -- you need seriously heavy weapons to even scratch someone like that.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Get For Honor Starter Edition for Free
8. Re: Get For Honor Starter Edition for Free Aug 23, 2018, 15:10 JoeNapalm

Left Brain : "It's FREE!!"

Right Brain : "For a reason."

Left Brain : "But...but it's FREE!!"

Right Brain : "I hate you."

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Rune Early Access Next Month
4. Re: Rune Early Access Next Month Aug 15, 2018, 12:38 JoeNapalm

I played the Hel out of Rune, back in the day...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Deathgarden Kicks Off Early Access with a Free Week
1. Re: Deathgarden Kicks Off Early Access with a Free Week Aug 15, 2018, 10:17 JoeNapalm

This looks like Brink and Evolve had a mutant love-child.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Wasteland 30th Anniversary Bundle Announced
2. Re: Wasteland 30th Anniversary Bundle Announced Jun 12, 2018, 15:47 JoeNapalm

@#$%. I'm old.

And yes...starting over with the same guys, over and over, until they were Ranger Immortals was pretty awesome.

I kind of bounced off WL2 about halfway through...which is sad, considering the impact the first one had on me. Not sure if that's really WL2's fault or mine, but still...

-Jn-

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer
23. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jun 11, 2018, 12:27 JoeNapalm

Kajetan wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 10:51:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 10:42:
It's getting hammered for not being as dark as they were lead to believe. I guess they are thinking of a world with no sun.
Its getting hammered from people who think that Blade Runner is Cyberpunk. Sadly many film makers and illustrators after Blade Runner adopted its Film Noir, 1940s-ArtDeco-Look for cyberpunk settings.

Nobody has read any cyberpunk novels, but everyone knows that it has to be "dark".

*sigh*

Eh, I think it looks good, but I can see the "no sun" argument.

The setting for CP2020 was Night City, and was described as raining all the time, the sun never shines, the last bird died in 2008, and you lived on soy kibble...at least as long as you lived, which wasn't very in a violent, uncaring world where the only Gods were Corporations.

So, yeah, it should be pretty bloody dark.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer
17. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 16:04 JoeNapalm

Having played Crescent Hawk's Inception on an IBM 8088, I approve of this message.

Now get off my lawn.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Year Two Content
5. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Year Two Content Apr 4, 2018, 10:06 JoeNapalm

Eh, I was able to get many hours of enjoyment without any Season Pass or microtransactions. More free content is always good, I'm not going to complain about that.

Sure, the monetization crap is out of control, but I haven't actually noticed it much not having spent anything beyond the basic game.

Where they dropped the ball on game design was the damn Tier One system. Not only is it stupid in concept (there are "Tier One" teams but no Tier 2 - 50...it's just an idiom) but is also the epitome of lazy-ass difficulty design. Making the game more difficult by allowing the AI to blatantly cheat isn't fun, and we've known that since the 80s.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr in May
1. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr in May Mar 16, 2018, 14:39 JoeNapalm

"Warhammer 4K"?

Is this an Age of Terra game?

(Sorry Blue, couldn't resist.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Feb 1, 2018, 10:09 JoeNapalm

I would be really really surprised if that was $60K of their own money...

...and not sure if I'd be more or less disappointed in humanity.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Star Trek Online Anniversary Plans
5. Re: Star Trek Online Anniversary Plans Jan 18, 2018, 15:43 JoeNapalm

Huh. Not the conversation I would have expected.

I figured I was the only one around here who left this on their hard drive for the occasional visit.

Haven't played in a long time, but can't bring myself to uninstall. Might pop in for these events...

-Jn-

News Comments > Get Watch_Dogs for Free
10. Re: Get Watch_Dogs for Free Nov 7, 2017, 13:59 JoeNapalm

I had a strange relationship with this game.

I liked the concept and rather liked elements of it, but the characters were so unlikable that by the end, the sociopath (Jordi) was the only one I gave a damn about.

At least he was HONEST about who he was.

And the driving mechanics were absolute pants.

Overall, I'm glad I played it -- but it missed the mark by inches over and over. So close to being epic, ended up merely okay.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out
3. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out Oct 31, 2017, 16:33 JoeNapalm

I've heard this is basically a re-release of Spintires, so yeah - you do missions, the missions are generally hauling logs.

In Spintires, you'd start with a couple of smaller vehicles and have to explore and recover additional vehicles. The complexity comes from finding passable routes and conserving fuel to make it around the map.

Generally, you get stuck and have to send other vehicles in to rescue those...the map is a massive mud simulation and the more you stomp around the harder it gets to keep moving through the same routes.

I found Spintires to be inexplicably fun and zen-like, and got many hours of enjoyment out of it...but I'd caveat that endorsement with the statement that this is a very niche game. It's about being slow and deliberate and having things go wrong, then trying to fix them...it's not about racing around at high speed.

If the idea of pulling some massive Russian re-purposed artillery carriage out of a giant mudhole that it buried itself in after tumbling down the side of a volcano doesn't sound fun, then this probably isn't for you.

-Jn-

News Comments > Starflight Remake Plans?
7. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 16:28 JoeNapalm

Man. One of the all time greats from my youth.

I don't know how you could reboot this and do it justice...but I wish them the best of luck!

-Jn-

News Comments > Conan Exiles The Frozen North Expansion Details
4. Re: Conan Exiles The Frozen North Expansion Details Aug 3, 2017, 12:46 JoeNapalm

Complaining about free new content during early alpha is kind of silly.

Yeah, they have a lot to fix. One of those things was lack of content.

I try not to buy into Early Access, but I did for this because...well, Conan...I agree they've got a ton of work to do, but that's early Early Access for you.

Some of my favorite games are shelved, like this one, for what I'm assuming will be years, until they're really ready to play.

I just now started The Long Dark after picking up on sale I forget how long ago. Never even installed it, just wanted to support it because I liked where it was going. That's kind of what EA really is.

Taking something that is essentially a late alpha build and expecting it to be feature-complete is ridiculous. It's a shame that's what's normal, these days.

I grok that you're saying work on core game before more content, but that's likely not the same people. And it needs content, for sure.

-Jn-

843 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo