Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Carl

Real Name Carl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname gsilver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 18, 2008, 23:18
Total Comments 150 (Novice)
User ID 54461

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Hawken PC Sunset Coming
6. Re: Hawken PC Sunset Coming Oct 3, 2017, 00:52 gsilver

They did add bot matches recently in the co-op team deathmatch mode. Though the AI is rather bad.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No More Arkham Games?
10. Re: No More Arkham Games? Sep 12, 2017, 08:49 gsilver

If they recast him, I hope we at least get Will Arnett..

News Comments > Get Mirage: Arcane Warfare Free Today
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2017, 14:07 gsilver

I liked Chivalry but never got around to trying this one (I was usually busy the times that they had free weekends)

Gonna give it a try this weekend. Probably.

News Comments > Morning Previews
5. Re: Morning Previews Sep 2, 2017, 00:49 gsilver

El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 10:29:
If even Limit Theory is released before Star Citizen, then there is the final proof that Star Citizen will NEVER see the light of day in the promised state.
No Citizen's Sky?

Well, at least one can say that they've been pretty open about Star Citizen's progress (even if it isn't going as hoped and is becoming massively bloated)

...All I wanted was a new single-player Wing Commander game

News Comments > Starway Fleet Launches
2. Re: Starway Fleet Launches Aug 29, 2017, 14:42 gsilver

This pretty much looks like exactly the kind of game that I want.
Space battles. Capital ships. Not bogged down by economy sims that I don't care about.

It's pretty cheap, so I'll give it a shot.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 08:58 gsilver

Wow. I wish that I could say that I was surprised, but after renting the upstairs of a house and having the downstairs tenant insisting having the heater at ludicrous levels and talking about nearly freezing to death while I was baking and had big boxes over every heater vent... then I found out it was because they left the window open and never thought to check. This was after a month, in November.

After that, no example of human stupidity will surprise me. Or at least that's what I want to believe.

When I was a kid, I liked getting rare denominations like both kinds of dollar coins, 2 dollar bills, and even had some old coins like the nickel one cent coins.

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
43. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 17:26 gsilver

Maybe part of it was too many open beta events. I certainly had had my fill of the game before it even officially came out.  

News Comments > Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight
24. Re: Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight Aug 5, 2017, 23:20 gsilver

As for game length, I recently heard the best explanation of why overly long games are bad when listening to old episodes of the TOVG podcast: It's very much like a clingy relationship.
"Come on. I just want to try other games"
"No! You have to spend all your time with me! Over 100 hours!"

And then, if you do take a break and go back, you find that the relationship is gone.

News Comments > Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight
23. Re: Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight Aug 5, 2017, 23:17 gsilver

I looked at the reviews, and IMO, only one of the negative reviews thus far has any weight behind it (the 8 hour one). The others were 1.5 hours or less knee-jerk responses.

I'm kinda-sorta interested in the game, but I'll wait until stuff like actual professional reviews are out.

News Comments > Sundered Released
3. Re: Sundered Released Jul 29, 2017, 00:32 gsilver

A game that I was potentially interested in, ruined by bland auto gen level design.

Seriously, give me an 8-hour experience with crafted levels, and I'll be happy. Don't scream "replayability" while making even the first playthrough be bland and uninteresting.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 22, 2017, 08:06 gsilver

Like they even needed this to make their network even more unusable. It already takes forever for my phone to load up even simple web pages. Video? Don't even bother.
And this is on a supposedly 4g connection.

Of course, the signal drops to near nothing if I were to say, go downstairs in my house, and my workplace (even outside) and even downtown are pretty much dead zones.

Meanwhile, my friends $40 tracphone runs circles around my Note 4 because reasons.

News Comments > Lode Runner Legacy Next Month
7. Re: Lode Runner Legacy Next Month Jun 29, 2017, 15:07 gsilver

Yeah. It was a bit of a project to do it. Floppies are really delicate, so I bought an Atari -> USB adapter a while back and copied all that I could.

Though I kind of curse my folks for being so poor "Backup Main Programs Disk" ended up being entirely different than "Main Programs Disk" because they wouldn't spring for extra floppies (which extended into the AOL days, when we exclusively used those... and AOL used bargain-basement quality media; lots of painful data loss happened there)

BUT... I saved what I could, and my Lode Runner levels were part of it.
I emailed myself the entire archive and put backups all over the place. Nothing short of the internet going out and my house going up in flames will destroy them now.

Though the rom of the Atari XE version of Lode Runner is kind of hard to find (even though the cartridge itself is common). Sites generally like to have the inferior Atari 800 version, instead. It really wouldn't be practical to hook up an *actual* Atari these days.

News Comments > Lode Runner Legacy Next Month
5. Re: Lode Runner Legacy Next Month Jun 29, 2017, 14:14 gsilver

Woah. I totally didn't know about the ZX Games version.

I should make a project of copying over my old Atari levels into that.

And I definitely like the "classic" look over what they're going for in this remake.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2017, 17:51 gsilver

*cue Comic Book Guy voice*

Well. Actually. 2gbps is not the fastest in the country. I personally live in a town where they advertise 10gbps internet.

//Comic Book Guy voice

But seriously... I would never have that kind of equipment in my house for a 2gbps connection. I'll take my cheap-o 1gbps and like it!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2017, 10:26 gsilver

The first problem here: Living in San Francisco.

I lived in Santa Clara for a year, and let me tell you, that's one expensive place to live.

*However* I'm looking on Craigslist right now, and am finding plenty of room for rent options in San Francisco proper around the $1200 range.
If you're single, you really don't need more than that.

And if you want to raise a family in a house... do it someplace cheaper. The SF Bay area is a place to work hard, earn a lot of money, burn out from all the hours, and leave for someplace cheaper and with shorter work days.

News Comments > Super Cloudbuilt Announced
1. Re: Super Cloudbuilt Announced Feb 22, 2017, 20:19 gsilver

I liked the original, but the trailer looks pretty much the same as the original game. I wonder what's new (other than presumably more controller-friendly controls)

Though, seriously, re-upload a 60FPS version.

News Comments > For Honor Beta Concludes Today
18. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 13, 2017, 00:46 gsilver

Sigh. Didn't find the time to play it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2017, 11:17 gsilver

Plenty of places where winter is minimal and summers aren't too bad.

My folks live in a town (Silver City, NM) where the the average summer high is 87 with low humidity and 3" of snow in the winter.
It's not *gone* but that's a pretty easy winter.

It got up to over 60 degrees when I made a post-Christmas visit last year.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico
11. Re: American Truck Simulator Going to New Mexico Feb 3, 2017, 16:18 gsilver

Cool to see my home state getting a release.
I'll probably pick this up the next time it has a decent sale.

I played a bit of ETS 2, and it's a fun game when I've had a stressful workday and want to relax.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 1, 2017, 13:32 gsilver

Raise your hand if you think that this will just replace on-shore outsourced jobs with off-shoring US jobs.  

150 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo