Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Carl

Real Name Carl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname gsilver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 18, 2008, 23:18
Total Comments 122 (Novice)
User ID 54461

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2016, 13:58 gsilver

Where I'm at, we've only had 14 days with the high below 90 in the last two months, with many of them much higher.

Today will be "only" 90 degrees here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Aug 8, 2016, 13:29 gsilver

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 13:16:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:27:
The Valve expansion is strictly for the Steam Support division.

STEAM 2 CONFIRMED!
Does this one get rid of all the shovelware?

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 22, 2016, 13:15 gsilver

jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 20:12:
I'm not a huge fan of twin-stick shooters, and this looks like that. Still if there was a speed governor so I could play it at about half the speed they show on the videos, I'd pick it up.
Cheat Engine can do this with almost any game. Just tick the speed hack box, and you can set it to whatever you want.

Useful to speed up games that are too slow (I dunno how I'd get through RPGs without this. Wait, I still don't) and slowing down ones that are too frantic, or ones that just aren't written for modern processors, like Saints Row 2, which runs way too fast otherwise.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 22, 2016, 13:11 gsilver

This is why, even though I make a living doing software development, I'd never, ever risk it doing games. The cost/risk is too great.

Though 8k copies in the first month really isn't too bad for the average indie game in today's climate. I've seen really good games do *a lot* less. For example, I'm a big fan of 6-DOF shooters, and I watched NeonXSZ push under 2k copies.

As for the specific game... I'd never even heard about it before now. I do like mech games, but I'm more of a "first person, in the cockpit" kind of player, so I don't know if I'd pick it up.

I know devs hate to read this, but: Maybe I'll try it when it's in a bundle. I've got way too much stuff on my plate already. I have surprisingly little "real life" stuff, but I still haven't even found the time for games like Wolfenstein: The New Order, or even finish Doom, yet.

News Comments > Evolve Going Free
16. Re: Evolve Going Free Jul 7, 2016, 10:24 gsilver

Evolve is a reason why I like open betas.
The beta was boring, so I didn't buy it. And even if they don't include some terrible Pay-2-Win scheme, the game is still boring, so being free doesn't change anything.

Meanwhile, I bought Overwatch on launch because of its open beta, and I'm happy with the purchase. It works both ways.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2016, 10:56 gsilver

I'm rather surprised that the 360 is still expensive.

I remember buying my Xbox 360 in 2009 for $200 (/w a $100 gift card)
It should be much, much less by now.

News Comments > Next Week's Steam Summer Sale Confirmed?
48. Re: Next Week's Steam Summer Sale Confirmed? Jun 16, 2016, 18:01 gsilver

I'm probably going to pick up a bunch of VR titles during the Steam sale.

Once I thought that I already owned all the games... and now here's a whole new market.

I blame Humble Bundle... sooo many of my games come from them.

News Comments > Street Fighter V Plans
2. Re: Street Fighter V Plans Jun 10, 2016, 13:25 gsilver

Yeah, but is there arcade mode?
You know, push start, fight against evenly-matched enemies with good AI and a minimum of chaff in-between?

Never was a fan of story in fighting games, but I play Arcade mode all the time. And it's the default one in every other fighting game, but missing in SF:V's launch.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 21, 2016, 19:31 gsilver

Woo. The same day that I get my Vive set up, too.

I placed an order for an Oculus the day after it went on sale, and I ordered the Vive at the start of the month.
The Vive arrived in two weeks, and my Oculus is nowhere to be seen (and currently lists a July ship date)

Vive is the better product, and they can actually get their product in the hands of consumers.

I'll probably flip the Rift when I get it, even if it means missing out on Lucky's Tale. EVE Valkyrie, thankfully, will ship on the Vive later this year.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
7. Re: New GeForce Drivers May 14, 2016, 21:00 gsilver

I played Doom before (Feb 2016 drivers) and after these with a GTX 970.

You'll definitely want to use these. Performance was kind of sluggish on the ones, but fine with the new ones.

News Comments > Three Unannounced CAPCOM Games Coming
11. Re: Three Unannounced CAPCOM Games Coming May 10, 2016, 19:29 gsilver

I just want to see PC ports of their back catalog.
Like any Street Fighter prior to 4
Or Mega Man X
Or Okami
Or any of their Marvel games (probably just dreaming on this one...)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 29, 2016, 11:31 gsilver

I can see 1TB to start to become an issue when 4k streaming becomes commonplace.

But my experience with streaming services on Comcast have always been less than ideal, so any streaming was always a gamble. I remember one time calculating that I could torrent an entire episode of South Park in less time than it would take for the buffering to catch up from Southparkstudios.

I'm on Google Fiber now, and everything "just works" which is so much nicer.

News Comments > The Orion Project Free Week
6. Re: The Orion Project Free Week Apr 28, 2016, 15:13 gsilver

jdreyer wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 14:55:
Make 10000 quick sales and pull the plug. It's not millions, but 10 grand or whatever just for dropping the price is easy money. No idea if that's what is actually happening, but it's a possibility.
They supported Orion: Prelude for quite some time, and had similar fire sales on it.

These devs look to be quite dedicated to continuing to update their products.

News Comments > The Long Journey Home Trailer
4. Re: The Long Journey Home Trailer Apr 22, 2016, 12:10 gsilver

It's a long journey, but there are longer ones.
So if you're up for a long, but not the longest, journey, here's a game for you.

Personally, I'm looking for a bit more Arcadia.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 19:56 gsilver

I'm a dev, work 40 hour weeks (as do my peers) at a company which accepts work-life balance. I'm also paid pretty well.

I don't work on games, but that just means that I can appreciate them in my time off.

News Comments > Battleborn Open Beta
6. Re: Battleborn Open Beta Apr 13, 2016, 19:43 gsilver

Won't download (Steam spins for about 30 seconds, then nothing happens)

Woo!

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 22, 2016, 12:00 gsilver

These days, retail has an expected 20% discount at launch. And you can also sell the disks. Let's see Nintendo beat that.

Steam may not have resell abilities, but it won on the availability of discounts.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 12:55 gsilver

I'm all for the merging of Xbox and PC platforms. It'll be great to see the X1 run all of the unified games, and for those that have the money, also run them on the PC, but better.

Exclusives harm everyone, so tearing down barriers to make things more universal can only be a positive move.

Unless the games perform terribly, but I've heard that the new Tomb Raider is a unified app, and it runs alright.

News Comments > OVERLOAD Teaser Demo
15. Re: OVERLOAD Teaser Demo Mar 8, 2016, 15:02 gsilver

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 12:22:
More worthy at least than this me-too-Descent-Underground-clone
Dude. This is the original creators.

Would you call a Freespace-like game called something else but developed by Mike Kulas and Matt Toschlog a me-too clone because they didn't have the license? Especially if some other group got the IP first but pushed it in a radically different direction?

Yeah, I know. I shouldn't feed the trolls.

News Comments > OVERLOAD Teaser Demo
13. Re: OVERLOAD Teaser Demo Mar 8, 2016, 10:19 gsilver

Really looking forward to this. I was a huge Descent fan back in the day, and this project seems to best capture what I'm looking for.

Though I'm really glad that the 6-DOF genre is gaining some amount of traction these days, with Descent:Underground, Sol Contingency, NeonXSZ, Geocore, Retrovirus, Kromaia, and Sublevel Zero.

122 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo