Limit Results:

152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Saturday Mobilization
Mar 16, 2013, 15:57
Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 15:57
Mar 16, 2013, 15:57

Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:33:
Right now tablets aren't productivity tools, they are media consumption devices. The Surface Pro did nothing to change that and it is prohibitively expensive in this economy.

Here's the thing, you don't have to buy a Surface Pro for MS to make money. Buy one of the Dell or other 3rd party ones they make money. It's all about creating the ecosphere. Once that's done they can rake it in.

Re: Saturday Mobilization
Mar 16, 2013, 15:56
Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 15:56
Mar 16, 2013, 15:56

I think the article misses the strategic point of what Microsoft appears to be trying to do (in my opinion). From my take, they are creating premium brands to drive consumption. If you look at their OEM manufacturers they're coming out with more tablet or hybrid devices which still makes Microsoft money. They are setting a bar and letting their OEM manufacturers either jump it or slide under it but they've drawn their line in the sand and every hybrid, every other Windows 8 tablet that sells that's money in their pocket.

What they've done is they've diversified the market away from being a two player environment and inserted themselves in. They don't need to make a ton off the surface, sure it's great because all that money goes in their pocket but if they can get Dell and Sony and everyone else making product that fits their long term strategy of stifling the iOS platform then they've won.

Sure this is arm chair quarterbacking on my part, but hell even the guys at Penny Arcade talk about how it's a superior device for what they do (production of the comic) over other tablets. So if they can get cynics like those guys on board there's something to it.

Re: Evening Consolidation
Mar 14, 2013, 23:47
Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 23:47
Mar 14, 2013, 23:47

Hellbinder wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 22:40:
lets see $50 per system times 10 million.... yeah that totally sucks. im sure that having all the hardware in all 3 consoles must really really suck.

Is that the for sure money they'll make? Honestly that seems a bit high. That being said, sure they may make a boatload but it comes down to logic of scale, if they have a razer thin margin they may suffer long term. Frankly, I don't care either way. I like AMD but I also like Nvidia, it does sound like sour grapes on Nvidia's part, that entire "it's clearly not a technology thing" sounds like a jilted lover commenting on their replacement. Just as some one working in the numbers side of retail I'd be very curious to know what the actual profits per unit will be. The one thing though, since it's the same or similar architecture it'll be much easier for developers.

Re: Lord British's Countdown
Mar 2, 2013, 21:58
Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 21:58
Mar 2, 2013, 21:58

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 20:59:
Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 19:32:
Fuck EA for killing Ultima (and all of Origin, for that matter.)

Creston

And how long has UO been going? It just boggles the mind when the dickbags at EA let something this obvious pass them by. Then again I suppose most of the suits at EA have probably never even heard of Ultima, muchless know that UO still exists.
They know it exists because it's still a revenue stream and they have people developing new Ultima properties over at Bioware and did some major press last E3. They are aware of the franchise, now will the output be good are not time will tell but to say they "probably never even heard of Ultima" is just untrue.

Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
Feb 21, 2013, 23:23
Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 23:23
Feb 21, 2013, 23:23

That was my problem too, there was a time (two or three iterations ago) where 1UP had some real talent working for them. These folks were laid off in various rounds of firing and restructuring the current version is a pale imitation that stopped being informative some time ago. I think this is more a comment on the state of true game journalism than any of the individual outlets. The worst part is that "mainstream" journalism doesn't seem able to pick up the slack yet, reading the PS4 coverage where every major outlet has misinformation about the controllers (saying they are touch screens not touch pads) and the enthusiast press' quality is wildly varying even in the same sources it's clear that there's a need for change.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month?
Jan 10, 2013, 21:36
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month? Jan 10, 2013, 21:36
Jan 10, 2013, 21:36

What a bunch a weirdos.

Supposedly it's something they've done before. They must be hanging out with the guys at Valve.

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month?
Jan 10, 2013, 21:24
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month? Jan 10, 2013, 21:24
Jan 10, 2013, 21:24

Pause it at between 2:14 and 2:15 there's a big long message about how this is a teaser and they're looking for folks to work on the game (they're in early pre-production) release date is pegged vaguely in 2015 in the message but even that's open based on progress. That being said it looks like these chummers have the spirit down. I'm looking forward to doing some decking in a squat in Night City.

Re: Firefly Universe Online
Jan 5, 2013, 22:07
Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 22:07
Jan 5, 2013, 22:07

It all looks really sketchy to me. I hope it's good but it all seemed bush league amateur hour in the press before it went off the radar. That being said they are clearly fans I'm just going to need to see a lot more than the rather cheesy trailer that they had on their page before I toss in my money.

Re: I Am Alive PC Edition Lives
Aug 23, 2012, 22:26
Re: I Am Alive PC Edition Lives Aug 23, 2012, 22:26
Aug 23, 2012, 22:26

From what I understand it's not much more than 4 hours long. Most say 3 to 5 hours. I'm not buying it on principle for what the developer said when the game first came out and what Ubi's president recently said.

Re: Star Conflict Open Beta
Jul 25, 2012, 09:23
Re: Star Conflict Open Beta Jul 25, 2012, 09:23
Jul 25, 2012, 09:23

Same here, played for about five minutes and the entire tutorial is in Russian and cryllic so I have no idea what I'm doing. The controls were pretty intuitive but if you don't know what objectives to hit kind of rough to figure out. I'm guessing English will be coming soon.

Re: Gods & Heroes Changes
Mar 31, 2012, 21:11
Re: Gods & Heroes Changes Mar 31, 2012, 21:11
Mar 31, 2012, 21:11

Turglar wrote on Mar 31, 2012, 19:53:
I don't feel bad for these guys one bit. This turd of a game should have died with Perpetual. I actually tried the beta at one point and it felt like I was playing a MMO from 1997. The fact that they thought even one person would pay for this POS just shows how out of touch most MMO developers are with their genre's fans.

I felt the same way, I mean I don't wish ill fortune upon those but it was a game that was WAY too long to be brought to market. The stalled production just really worked against it, if they moved free to play to start it may have had more of a chance just it was coming out at a time when there were a lot of options and charging AAA prices for gameplay. Way to fail scenario. The unfortunate thing is it's kind of an interesting setting that's been under used and could have proven an interesting break (there was also the sci-fi Roman Empire game that I wanted to see but that one bit the dust and never made it to launch.) It's a tough market out there right now.

Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill
Mar 21, 2012, 08:43
Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 08:43
Mar 21, 2012, 08:43

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 08:30:
"By the time his fiscal year 2013 spending has fully gone into effect, Obama will have added a full $5.823 trillion to the debt," he said. "Obama cannot blame his predecessors. By his policies alone ... Obama will have increased the national debt by 46.9 percent by the end of calendar year 2012."

But hey It's Bush's fault, the same ol song and dance we've had for the Obmessiah's entire term.

The main source of problems driving up the debt is the refusal of Republicans to roll back the Bush era tax cuts. These are tax cuts that impact only the most rich and have driven the tax base to be so enemic it's the lowest it's been in years. This activity is what led to the rise of the Occupy movement. The middle class are sick of the rich getting a free ride off their backs. What I find most ironic is Republicans have made a Christ Head out of Regan. Regan RAISED taxes on the rich. These taxes are FAR lower than taxes on any regime prior including Regan and Bush Sr. Jr's decimation of the tax base, the refusal due to intransigence in the house to repair this damage and the continued cost of two wars one of which was entirely unnecisary and undermined the efforts to stabalize the region is continuing to be paid. So yeah, you know what? Obama is not perfect but you can't fix the dog's breakfast left behind by a corrupt olligarch and his puppet president henchman in three years. If it was so easy how would you do it? Why don't you run for president and 'fix things' honestly arm chair politicians are more annoying than arm chair quarterbacks.

Mar 21, 2012, 08:37
Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 21, 2012, 08:37
Mar 21, 2012, 08:37

Xombie wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 00:06:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 23:43:
He's a liberal democrat, spend and attempt to control is what they do. Obama has spent more in less than one term. 4.93 trillion, than Bush did in his entire 2 terms, do the math.

Maybe you should check your own math

Don't let facts get in the way of a politicaly driven rant. That's very unrepublican of you. ;-)

Mar 20, 2012, 22:32
Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:32
Mar 20, 2012, 22:32

BTW this is exactly like the crap in the senate that created the Comics Code which stiffled creativity in Comics for decades. Right when Comics were becoming more and more mainstream and becoming something recoginzed for all ages (adults reading crime comics for example) then the hammer came down and it stiffled comic creativity for decades before Stan Lee and Marvel broke from the Code. We're at the same point with videogames, there's legitimacy to the medium starting to take hold and adults are playing them more and more and then the 'experts' are feeding crap about violence with NO real unbiased science behind it. I hate this kind of b.s.

Mar 20, 2012, 22:26
Re: New U.S. Game Labeling Bill Mar 20, 2012, 22:26
Mar 20, 2012, 22:26

Oh America, nothing like a lack of facts or any evidence to support an assumption to get in the way of legislation. Maybe this should come with Asprin for all the women they are refusing adequate birth control options to. *sigh*

Re: Steam Hardware Plans?
Mar 3, 2012, 13:13
Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 13:13
Mar 3, 2012, 13:13

This could go two ways for them very very good or very very bad. Here's why I say this, it's a DRM built in platform using a tried and true engine (Windows) so no weird new developer kit needed. Also they are smart to open it up to Origin and Impulse this way they have an even broader net so you can get every EA game or other game carried on these other players (hell even Onlive without an Onlive box) the build is pretty beefy and would outstrip current gen and probably would hold with next gen and by using Steam as the core model you've got in built launch titles in the thousands with a low point of entry with free (DCU, Star Trek Online, etc.) games all the way to low "sweet spot" games running a few dollars for the casual market. On top of that you are leveraging digital delivery reducing cost increasing profit. This I think (if it happens) could be the first real foray in to next gen consoles (if it succeds which is a big if.) The good thing is they don't answer to shareholders (which could swing either way) and means they don't have to succum to the pressures of "profit over design." God I just hope they work on steam's interface it's functional but clunky.

Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
Feb 14, 2012, 01:08
Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 01:08
Feb 14, 2012, 01:08

Yifes wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 23:02:
Technically Double Fine didn't make Grim Fandango, or any of Schafer's classic adventure games. If you're going to give Double Fine credit to Schafer's classics, then you need to give Obsidian credit for Urquhart, Avellone and company's classics too, which includes the likes of Icewind Dale, Fallout, and PS: Torment. Now that's an amazing track record, as fine as you can get in the industry.

Not to mention that New Vegas was fantastic, whereas Schafer's latest work has been lacking.

Good point although it's the same front man and designer but I did point out it is a fan favorite (if not a comercial one with the exception of Brutal Legend being neither.) If we restrict it to current projects though you've got several games with limited commercial success but have consitently been critical and fan favorites and they are trying different things with all of their games (ie. their Seasame Street game goes for a different target than say Brutal Legend.) Costume Quest for example is a great game that appeals to everyone and Stacking is really neat if somewhat weird. Oh and Iron Brigade which is just downright fun!

But if you look at Obsidian their developed games are Star Wars: KotOR II broken and fan fixed, NWN 2, NWN 2 Mask of the Betrayer, NWN 2: Storm of Zehir each just trying to fix the broken elements from the previous version. Fallout: NV again by many considered broken (but it was building on a broken foundation,) Alpha Protocl (how many issues with that can I list? Do we have the space?) Dungeon Seige III the best that can be said is boring. So one unique IP everything else licensed or iterating on some one elses work and everything considered by most broken.

So restricting to recent history Double Fine have one terrible flop but a lot of creative ideas and a constant goal of improvement and innovation, Obsidian license other people's ideas try and work with them and break it (Alpha Protocol being the exception even though it was based on the Mass Effect Engine and was in fact the worst of their failures.) I just wouldn't trust them with my money. That being said, I did love some of their old stuff like Torment or Icewind Dale that's something I will never debate. Great games, just they'd have to pull some serious rabbits out of hats to get my faith back as a former supporter.

Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
Feb 13, 2012, 22:35
Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 13, 2012, 22:35
Feb 13, 2012, 22:35

Here's the thing, Double Fine has a mis-start or two (Brutal Legend which I enjoyed but wasn't a big success) but is a fan favorite (Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, etc.) while Obsidian has a history of flops and unfinished products. Their last project Alpha Protocol started okay and then just trailed in to a train wreck which by the end was so broken it made no sense. Never Winter Nights 2 and it's add on had broken stories even KOTOR 2 was broken and took a fan patch to fix. I'll kick in for a company where I feel there's a good chance of my contribution creating something great I'm not going to kick in for a company where SEGA are so scared of their last product they pushed it back because it was just too broken.

Re: Steam Breach Follow-up
Feb 10, 2012, 22:09
Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 10, 2012, 22:09
Feb 10, 2012, 22:09

To people saying not to worry, this is actually worriesome. An identity can be "Stolen" with less. I'm not demanding a new game or anything but it's interesting when Sony screwed up and were hacked they had their balls nailed to the wall. When Steam screwed up and were hacked the reaction has been much more tepid. It's all about the geek love it would seem.

Re: etc.
Jan 30, 2012, 22:51
Re: etc. Jan 30, 2012, 22:51
Jan 30, 2012, 22:51

RailWizard wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 01:11:
Well since you asked so nicely, I shall answer. I have never, despite my humoring certain posts ITT, thought that gayness was a birth defect as a majority reason for why there are gay people. It is my opinion that most gay people are gay mostly because of life choices or conditions. This is why I dispise gay 'families' btw. This makes it no different than any other choice in life, and makes it no more inportant than any other choice in life. I have not yet seen any reason to suggest that being gay is somehow a desirable life choice, and as such I feel free to condemn it as I see fit. If you don't like that, well that's too bad for you.

No you said it was a genetic defect that could be treated with Gene therapy YOU said that now you are trying to cover the facts. Good work there, either own your words or admit that you are trying to goad people in to responding. Anything less than owning your words is cowardice.
152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older