Limit Results:

152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
Jun 4, 2014, 18:26
Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 18:26
Jun 4, 2014, 18:26

1badmf wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 09:27:
really? communication is your gripe? as far as i'm concerned they've communicated the state of the game far better than any previous developer. who else would've made daily posts about the bug list until release? they really can't do better than that unless you're such a needy personality that you have to be personally satisfied even at the expense of actual work they have to do.

a lot of people really love the idea of this game, but some of them have lost all perspective in regards to game development and only care about their personal fix.

Actually it's the communication leading up to the release that's the issue. They communicated on Wednesday that it was ready to go on Wingman's Hanger and then Thursday it was delayed. They actually said "baring issues" when releasing the Thursday date initially but that was not clear enough because, let's be frank, a lot of gamers are idiots.

So yeah, my biggest issue is communication, they're overly transparent. It's like the time I spent working with a burlesque troupe. There were girls who would come out and just take it right off. People liked it but after a while it got dull. Then there were the girls who were able to tease and be coy. They showed a lot of skin but they kept enough hidden that when the big reveal came every one was happy.

Right now, CIG is just taking it all off and people are not mature or nuanced enough for that. It's causing break downs in their communication and is in fact causing their community to become exceptionally toxic. Their community management is just outright blocking and deleting posts from anyone with reasonable complaints(I don't post there so it hasn't hit me but I've seen it happen to others) and the "fanboy" quotient is out of control there (which I guess when you spend 500 dollars on pretend space ships you get a bit defensive).

I want this to succeed, I want it to do well, but for this to happen they are going to need to communicate better their objectives, their milestones, and their ability to reach those milestones. We're fairly early in the project, we've got about one or two more years ahead of us at least. Patience will wear thin eventually and if they don't manage the rabble they will start to feel it sooner or later.

Re: NVIDIA Enhancing Ubisoft PC Games
Jun 4, 2014, 18:15
Re: NVIDIA Enhancing Ubisoft PC Games Jun 4, 2014, 18:15
Jun 4, 2014, 18:15

Zyrxil wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 15:37:
Frankly, it doesn't matter what company you like. Even without 'partnership' deals like this, Nvidia owns 80% of the market, and that's what devs develop and test for.

You may want to fact check your hyperbole. Just using steam hardware survey alone shows that they have actually around 50% with AMD at 30% and the difference being mainly Intel.(http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/) So whilst they have a market lead it's hardly overpowering and given initiatives like Mantle this could shift the playing field especially now the crypto-currency trend is ending.

The AMD cards were actually list price cheaper than NVIDIA but the bitcoin miners were snapping them up which was inflating the price. (You can now get the cards for fairly cheap on ebay). Now, add to this the fact that NVIDIA is shut out of the console market, Shield isn't even close to making a dent, and the performance ration between the cards is fairly close (honestly the handful of frames difference on most games is nothing) this leaves NVIDIA in an unenviable position.

You may want to use real numbers when trying to tout the superiority of a brand in the future, it may let people take you a bit more seriously.

Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
Jun 4, 2014, 08:59
Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 08:59
Jun 4, 2014, 08:59

Glad it came together without too much of a delay. I think most of the grumpy people (save the few partisan haters who would say stuff no matter if it was out on time or not) would have been much cooler with the delay if it was communicated better. I hope they learn their lesson and communuicate status and objectives in a more controled manner in the future.

Re: Steam Machines Delayed
May 28, 2014, 15:22
Re: Steam Machines Delayed May 28, 2014, 15:22
May 28, 2014, 15:22

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2014, 15:18:
Well, I think it was more of a shot across Microsoft's bow. MS was locking down the Windows O/S and threatening Steam's visibility and maybe even viability on it. Not wanting to leave their fate in the hands of Microsoft (who would?) they wanted to show that they didn't need to be tied to that.

Except they weren't locking down the OS. Their marketplace (which is basically their answer to Steam) was locked down and the "metro" interface required their store other than that it was still just as open. Essentially it would have zero impact on the Valve marketshare at all. I honestly don't believe this "response to MS" stuff, frankly I think it's just another poorly formulated idea out of valve like "episodic content" and "Valve Time" which is just as bad as "Blizzard Time".

They heralded Eposodic gaming as the way of the future and then abandoned it promptly, just like their first forays in to hardware, and I'm sure their controller and other projects to follow. There's a real lack of vision there, lots of ideas but zero dedication to see things through to completion.

Re: Steam Machines Delayed
May 28, 2014, 11:26
Re: Steam Machines Delayed May 28, 2014, 11:26
May 28, 2014, 11:26

The thing is "Steam Machines" are made redundant by their own Steam platform. Steam Machines would be running the Steam OS (which to date requires you to dual boot to do anything like media functionality). Alternately I could load up Windows or an extant Linux branch, load the Steam clinet and stream games from my PC to my TV using that (which you are going to have to do to access most of the catalogue any how even with their native boxes). Is there even really a reason for anything more expensive than one of those 200 dollar off the shelf Zotac boxes at this point? If we're streaming almost everythinge any way these Alienware machines seem like a waste of money.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews
May 27, 2014, 14:54
Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews May 27, 2014, 14:54
May 27, 2014, 14:54

Rattlehead wrote on May 27, 2014, 14:44:
How is that? What makes the retail version better? It's the same game, except Skidrows version takes away god damn Uplay bullshit.

Well the retail version lets you do the hacking your friends extra stuff and I found has slightly better performance (I think it's a later build) but the big difference is Skidrow has a bitcoin miner burried in the crack that installs itself as malware. That may also be part of what's hitting performance. So, yeah, before pirating maybe people should be sure about their sources.

Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Grounded
May 24, 2014, 22:28
Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Grounded May 24, 2014, 22:28
May 24, 2014, 22:28

Cutter wrote on May 24, 2014, 16:27:
Star Wars sucks badly enough as it is. It's only going to get worse with Disney and Lamebrams.

Do you ever say anything positive? Given that Abrams is rolling back the most egregious sins of Lucas and the fact that Disney to date have known when to leave well enough alone with other content creators your grumpiness (though it does seem your default state) seems a bit misplaced and overly pessimistic.

Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus
May 22, 2014, 08:07
Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 08:07
May 22, 2014, 08:07

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2014, 04:11:
I hope Palmer and Zuckerberg stick to their guns and fight this in court. I dont think they are going to lose, unless Carmack was really, really stupid and actually did work on the Oculus on company time...(or money, office supplies, whatever...)

He did at least partially, it would depend on the type of work. He tried to adapt ZeniMax games to work on the Rift but ZeniMax wanted unfavourable terms to get their product on the Rift which caused Occulus to back away. So there's at least one line of entry but it will depend on the code used and how Carmack integrated it. If he folded some of his optimizations in to the base code they may have a case, but that's yet to be proven.

May 22, 2014, 08:05
Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 08:05
May 22, 2014, 08:05

DangerDog wrote on May 22, 2014, 03:30:
Cabezone wrote on May 22, 2014, 00:47:
VR will eventually make it, whether it's occulous or someone else.

Maybe but even with the advances they've made with the technology all I seem to read is how it is fatiguing to use for any length of time.

There are a ton of developer and semi-public events here in Toronto. All of the people who've used the latest iteration have said these problems have been resolved. I've only got second hand knowledge so it may still be the case but I'm going to reserve judgement until the consumer product hits market.

May 22, 2014, 08:04
Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 08:04
May 22, 2014, 08:04

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2014, 02:00:
Cabezone wrote on May 22, 2014, 00:47:
VR will eventually make it, whether it's occulous or someone else.

Yeah. Sure. Just like 3D. If you're envisioning Snow Crash, there's a long way to go brother.

Just like Smartphones were a fad or tablets would never catch on.

We can't easily predict what is going to click and what isn't. Given companies like Sony are jumping on board with their own product it's entirely possibly this MAY take off. It's at least a 50/50 chance at this point.

What is going to make this move beyond the VirtualBoy is how well it permeates the market. This is where Occulus was smart in forging a relationship with Facebook. Carmack wants to create Snow Crash, that's the point. If you listen to what they are saying this is the exact type of world they are trying to forge with this relationship and Facebook is one of the few companies with the capital and technology to make it potentially happen (Microsoft being one of the others). Their experience at the server level is where Occulus benefits.

Sure it may crash and burn, but I'd rather people try daring things and they not catch on than they try nothing at all. A world where people go "oh that's going to fail" and "it's a fad" is a world where we're still sitting around the radio listening to Little Orphan Annie save Daddy Warbucks for the billionth time.

May 22, 2014, 07:58
Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 07:58
May 22, 2014, 07:58

Kosumo wrote on May 22, 2014, 00:37:
What if Zenimax is totally right and Rift took and used code without proper credit given? You still anit gonna buy any of their software even thought Elder Scrolls 7 is the biggest game ever and is still selling well 2 years after it 2021 release?

They can easily prove it, the code for the Rift is open source, it's been freely available for some time. They have not been able to reference one line of code at all. It may come out at trial but I doubt it. They're trying to push them to cave and get a share, I don't think that's going to happen.

The reality is ZeniMax are acting like a jilted lover asking for all their gifts back. They could have had their cake and eaten it too if they gave Carmack more flexibility to work on both projects but they didn't and now they're acting upset because he left. When you have a tech head like Carmack he's going to go to where the most interesting projects are. You want to keep him, keep him engaged. Given that the company is run by lawyers (literally) then this explains much of their behaviour, this is how they react. I don't see this going well for them.

Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month
May 18, 2014, 21:17
Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 21:17
May 18, 2014, 21:17

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 18, 2014, 16:47:
Cool I didnt know you could see the order that you are in backers, mine was #7504

How does this affect being able to play the content? Players are being picked in waves or something with the lower numbers starting first?

From what I understand yes, to ramp up the servers they are doing it in waves so they can stress test it as they bring it up. This is I think the most fair way, earliest backers get in first.

May 18, 2014, 07:47
Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 07:47
May 18, 2014, 07:47

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 18, 2014, 05:25:
The results of The Next Great Starship aren't far away now - I'm rooting for Four Horsemen.

I have been trying to watch that show but I find their video presentations painful to watch. The community manager when she's at her best wooden but often impossible to stomach and the format is boring as hell with what feels like forced controversy and down right painful production values.

Watching this (and their demo videos) it's pretty clear they're not spending money on things like marketing (which is good) but it's a shame that what they are spending feels like it's wasted. They really need to step up their game but that can wait until closer to launch, the one video I watched felt like an advertisement for a gaming peripheral followed by a bunch of awkward interactions where no one really understood screen presence. (I realize if this is my biggest complaint so far, yeah we're pretty lucky.)

May 18, 2014, 07:42
Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 07:42
May 18, 2014, 07:42

1badmf wrote on May 17, 2014, 20:15:
and for anyone that's curious, access goes by backer ID number which is in chronological order of backing date. mine is in the 6000s =D

Sadly I'm around 112000 :-( Ah well, still looking forward to seeing what they pulled together (which will determine if I drop more on a ship or not).

May 18, 2014, 07:38
Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 07:38
May 18, 2014, 07:38

nin wrote on May 17, 2014, 14:25:
Creston wrote on May 17, 2014, 14:17:
So is that the dogfighting module they've been talking about? They just renamed it?

Wondered that as well.

They said they were expanding the scope a bit and branding it to so they could work it in to the story. They've been fairly clear about that for a while.

Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
Apr 29, 2014, 09:14
Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 09:14
Apr 29, 2014, 09:14

Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 22:03:
Yeah, screwed over. Cheated. How, exactly, where you cheated? Of what were you deprived? What did you have before Bungie existed that you no longer had after they announced that Halo would be an Xbox game, or that Halo 2 would be a Vista exclusive, or that Destiny wasn't coming to the PC on September 9?

Whilst I agree with you (and I think the rage over Bungie is way out of proportion and people should get by this point they are primarily a console developer) I can also understand where some of the original bitterness comes from. YEARS ago they were pushing Oni, Halo and Myth as these great games that will be the next big thing for the PC. They did release Oni and Myth on Windows PCs as well as Macs but then they jumped ship and didn't look back.

Frankly at this point the entire bitterness over them changing their model strikes me like if I was bitter about my ex-wife despite it being over a decade and me having remarried. A wasteful expenditure of energy. I do find the coyness on Bungie's part a little annoying (they should just say after launch we will evaluate our direction and make an announcement at that time and shut down the discussion). I don't really blame them though, the entire industry has devolved in to this corporate espionage mentality of plausible deniability.

Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
Apr 29, 2014, 08:59
Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 08:59
Apr 29, 2014, 08:59

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 18:08:
Just shows what an idiot he is. Both of the new consoles use basically intel technology. Adapting it to Windows can't be that big a deal. Wonder if anyone at Bungie grasps the fact that their player base will disappear with the next shooter that is released. That is the fate of most console games.

Yes and no, I agree it's a relatively easy port but even more so Xbox One is a modified Windows 8/DirectX platform it's going to be relatively easy to port. The problems tie in to hardware optimization. Not an impossible task but if they are stretching their resources thin optimizing across four platforms I'd rather they hold and do it right then try and squeeze it in and give me something that plays like an Xbox game.

Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced
Aug 22, 2013, 09:22
Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 22, 2013, 09:22
Aug 22, 2013, 09:22

Riker wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 23:36:
Dev wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 22:48:
I'm interested, but $30 is a bit steep IMO

This almost feels like a full sequel. Tons of new content. $30 seems quite reasonable to me, and I'm glad they're putting that much into it.

I'm on the fence, I'm for sure getting it but I'm curious how much story content there will be. They're kind of coy regarding that and base invasions which leads me to believe it may be fairly substantial. Sure new game systems are great and all but if they don't weave it in story wise it's just paint on a rusting car. That being said given the trailer I think it implies some changes to the story arc.

Aug 21, 2013, 13:14
Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:14
Aug 21, 2013, 13:14

Ooooh! I thought it was a scrambled version of their logo. Maybe it's going to tie back in to Mosaic and the new "prequel" and infiltrators. Interesting! Good eye!

Aug 21, 2013, 13:12
Re: XCOM: Enemy Within Announced Aug 21, 2013, 13:12
Aug 21, 2013, 13:12

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 12:45:
commonperson wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 11:59:
I know! I'm getting married in October

Congrats!

Thanks, I'm hoping to set aside some of the gift money for game goodness. ;-)
152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older