152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Doctor Who in the UK
Jun 3, 2010, 15:29
Re: Doctor Who in the UK Jun 3, 2010, 15:29
Jun 3, 2010, 15:29

kanniballl wrote on Jun 3, 2010, 15:15:
commonperson wrote on Jun 3, 2010, 09:56:
It's not a perfect analogy, but it is a similar situation. It was produced by ABC and CTV, yet the US viewers got the shaft. I don't "Blame Canada" ... I just blame ABC.

I hate that region crap, I can get all the major networks over the air here in Toronto and most of their programing either rebroadcast through local vendors or as affiliate stations here via my cable provider but I can't use Hulu to watch it due to weired regional crap. I hate pirating stuff too so I try and avoid it but some times there are few options when it comes to content.

And don't get me started on Rogers' online service answer to Hulu where you have to subscribe to cable to watch it over the internet. BAH! Canada has become a technological backwater when it comes to television and media.

There's a bit of a difference between CBC and CTV though. The CBC is a publicly funded state supported broadcaster. My taxes go towards supporting the network which in turn was a co-producer with BBC. So it's basically our two governments via their Television arms working together. CTV and ABC on the other hand are private and do not benefit from public dollars (not ENTIRELY true but their mandate is that of private broadcaster not like the CBC's public mandate.) So in that case it's a bit of a different kettle of fish.

All being said, I understand why the BBC are doing it and I'm not TOO bent out of shape. I will pay for the game because it looks like a good game. Something substantial, I'm suprised though, that in this age of decentralized media BBC or Sky or CBC doesn't offer some subscription type service which transcends regional boundries. For example, I'm an American or Canadian wanting access to exclusive Doctor Who content or Cornation Street or what have you I spend say 15 bucks a month or something and get access to premium content and downloadable services. Or hell even an iTunes model where material is made available via an online vendor.

Well, time will tell how things will pan out but I see a large change in how media is presented coming eventually once content providers pull their heads out of the sand.

Jun 3, 2010, 12:42
Re: Doctor Who in the UK Jun 3, 2010, 12:42
Jun 3, 2010, 12:42

I know, I can't think of a worse name for them to come up with for them but hey, I'm not an excessively well paid BBC executive. You'd think that one day whilst sitting around an expensive table at the BEEB they ad execs would say "excuse me Nigel," in a pompous BBC english accent "Why yes Reggie," the other would reply. "The fellows down at the Cardiff office want to call their mini-web episodes Tardisodes. What a jolly good name!" "But wait Reggie, does that not imply that the episode is either late, or even worse, in some form retarded given the common vernacular use of the abbreviation for retarded being tard." "Why no Nigel, of course not. Only a cad would make that connection."

I guess colour me a cad.

Jun 3, 2010, 09:56
Re: Doctor Who in the UK Jun 3, 2010, 09:56
Jun 3, 2010, 09:56

Arithon wrote on Jun 3, 2010, 03:09:
It's a BBC game. The BBC is funded by UK TV license payers. So people in the UK have already paid. It's not complicated.

If I want to watch US TV shows, I would have to pay for a SKY TV subscription.

Nothing is free - anyone who tells different is not to be trusted!

Here's the thing. CBC actually ALSO paid to produce Doctor Who during season two and three but none of the BBC exclusive content (the tardisodes etc.) we had access to.

I can understand the BBC wanting to maintain control of their IP and profit from it. I actually was impressed with them standing up to MS in the UK and not allowing their streaming to be linked to Gold Live accounts and that all users including Silver have access to the streaming but if you are going to argue it's based on licensing fees and taxes my taxes go to the CBC so I should have had access to material for seasons two and three. All balances out.

Re: Palladium Books sues Trion Worlds
May 12, 2010, 21:44
Re: Palladium Books sues Trion Worlds May 12, 2010, 21:44
May 12, 2010, 21:44

Same here, it took a second glance to click "oh not Rifts game." Frankly I'm suprised that no one has made a Rifts game yet.

Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site
May 9, 2010, 08:18
Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 9, 2010, 08:18
May 9, 2010, 08:18

The PC Warrior wrote on May 9, 2010, 01:54:
this is probably the dumbest post ive seen on the forums, you contradict yourself multiple times and appear to be mentally retarded.

Thank you I was going to reply to him but just couldn't be bothered. :-)

May 8, 2010, 21:34
Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 21:34
May 8, 2010, 21:34

This is where GW become kinda jerks, they have a notorious history of trying to protect their brand and being very VERY anal about brand ownership to the point of ending relationships due to control issues. Which is how Warcraft came around, they were near complete as a Warhammer game, got in a fight with GW and took their ball and went home. They didn't "steal" as some people acuse, they made a product for GW, GW were jerks and they took it and made a mint so now GW are kicking them selves.

They have a point, Warhammer alliance is a phrase owned by GW, it's been owned by them for a LONG time. They claim to have tried to contact to have them cease and desist before litigation was filed, given that the site's "contact us" is dead and they use a proxy service to register the domain so they can hide the ownership that's pretty skeezy. So this is the typical games workshop technique.

In this case I think it's a situation where people are doing two wrongs. WA are using some one else's intellectual property to make money and GW are being, well GW. That's the business world, go ask Kotick and Activision. They do the same crap all the time. Not cool, but people buy their products and the cycle keeps perpetuating. You want to stop it go buy stock in one of the companies and try and change their modus operandi otherwise suck it all up because it aint going to change any time soon.

May 8, 2010, 21:29
Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 21:29
May 8, 2010, 21:29

Actually my point is proven. Go to this URL:
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/sendmessage.php?s=ea4b71b21bc62c4947c3658cc3a51a60

That's the link from the warhammer alliance website to contact them. They block whois traces by running through a third party. Yes GW is sue happy, I didn't argue that but they are funnelling people to a website that serves to make money using an IP that belongs to someone else. It'd be like me registering MicrosoftSoftware and then funnelling it to an adware site that I made money off of. I'd be shut down faster than you could say cease and desist.

Look, I'm not saying people have to agree with me. But people should try and debate or argue the facts not ad hoc personal attacks. It just proves how low discussion has sunk.

May 8, 2010, 21:23
Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 21:23
May 8, 2010, 21:23

So I was good up until the last five words of my post. Okay, so I was posting from a mobile device that had auto-complete and I didn't thoroughly check it. I humbly apologise, but come on, it's okay to not agree but to pull the spelling card? That's just sad. Thanks for reminding me how asinine the internet is. It's always nice to be reassured of your lack of faith in basic debate tactics and human civility.

Oh and by the way, I ran this through a spell check to make sure I didn't obfuscate my point by swapping out a letter. :-P

May 8, 2010, 18:02
Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 18:02
May 8, 2010, 18:02

Nice straw man there, you don't address the fact they're stealing some ones IP and obfuscating it by falsely claiming accesability. I won't even justify the veiled insult with a response. Waste of time.

May 8, 2010, 17:23
Re: Games Workshop Sues Warhammer Fan Site May 8, 2010, 17:23
May 8, 2010, 17:23

This is not a fan site, it's a site run by a multi-million dollar company (Curse who made over 3 million last year alone,) profiting off the work of others under the auspices of a "Fan site." This is not a fan site as it's run by a company seeking to make profit off some one else's IP. Warhammer Alliance was owned by GW years before the site even existed so they are using a copywritten item. If they weren't making money off of this by selling a product linked to the site (ads would not be an issue for GW I'm sure they are selling an application) I'm sure it'd not be an issue. Add to this the bonus fact that the application is a source of trojans and key loggers. I've installed it 3 times and each time I've had my game accounts compromised. Since I stopped using it they have not been compromised again. Funny that. Curse deserve what they are getting they lied (contact information is next to impossible to find on their site,) and they stole (again protected material.) You reap what you sew.

Re: King's Quest Fan Game Saved?
May 4, 2010, 00:41
Re: King's Quest Fan Game Saved? May 4, 2010, 00:41
May 4, 2010, 00:41

Because you know after the IW debaucle half the world hate Activision doing something like this that costs them nothing that they can profit off of in the form of community good will wouldn't hurt. Maybe some one at Activision has half a brain after all.

Lost oppertunity
Sep 18, 2008, 13:16
Lost oppertunity Sep 18, 2008, 13:16
Sep 18, 2008, 13:16

Funcom had a chance to make a splash with a huge initial penetration and a great deal of interest they promised the world and delivered a suburb. It's unfortunate because now they are finaly introducing some of the promised content despite the innovations it's lost momentum. I dropped the game a month ago and I doubt I'll go back. Even with the promised DX10 and PVP I've moved on. They really were never competing with WoW but WAR and it's dedicated fanbase. And now, since they blew their lead time, they are toast.

152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 8.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older