Limit Results:

152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam
Aug 30, 2011, 20:18
Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam Aug 30, 2011, 20:18
Aug 30, 2011, 20:18

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 08:58:
Yeah, they can't even seem to do unified accounts properly. My buddy wanted a hand with registering for the TOR beta, he couldn't login to his EA account or his Origin account on their site. We take a quick look and it turns out you need to make yet another account entirely. I remember when I logged into the BF3 alpha client it showed me a profile of all of my EA accounts made over the years, there were like 30+

Personally I had no problems with this kind of thing. I had two accounts due to beta and pre-order issues back when Warhammer came out, called EA and they merged the accounts, transfered over the "perks" from my one account to another no problems. I think it all depends on who you get. While many people lambast EA support I've found it's 50/50 half the time I get some one who fixes things in 20 seconds the other half it's pulling teeth. Honestly not much better or worse than Valve. At least EA gives me a phone number to call.

Aug 30, 2011, 20:14
Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam Aug 30, 2011, 20:14
Aug 30, 2011, 20:14

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 23:01:
His reasoning for not using Steam has nothing in common with EA's reason for removing games from Steam.

On a side note, I don't like his game, but I think Notch is one of the "good guys". That put's in an entirely different class from EA.

That depends on who you believe, if EA is to be believed they didn't remove their games their games were removed by Valve. And since no one (probably due to contacts) can pony up proof one way or another Valve can say what ever they want while gamers are just going to call EA evil.

Aug 30, 2011, 20:12
Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam Aug 30, 2011, 20:12
Aug 30, 2011, 20:12

Asmo wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 21:53:
I'm curious though, Mass Effect 2 allowed you to purchase the add on's with points and bolt them directly to the game despite it being on Steam... Was there a big deal that Valve was kicking up over that that I missed?

That's kind of the point of EA's stance. They claim that Valve is now coming down and they did not remove their games but Valve did. So, it all comes down to who you believe and while I think EA are probably telling more truth than people will give them credit I think a lot of people will just buy any line that Valve feeds them because they are so ready to hate on EA.

And for those who claim EA "runs companies in to the ground" that's irrelivant to the discussion at hand. It's the video game equivilent of bringing Hitler and Nazis in to a discussion. When in doubt shout how a company "suxorz."

Aug 29, 2011, 19:37
Re: Why Minecraft Isn't On Steam Aug 29, 2011, 19:37
Aug 29, 2011, 19:37

So the exact same reason EA said... now who's going to start calling Notch a money grubbing maggot who doesn't make anything good? First person? Anyone? It's funny, when it's a "gaming darling" it's cool but when it's a big company all of a sudden it's a VAST conspiracy to promote their own product.

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
Aug 20, 2011, 12:03
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 12:03
Aug 20, 2011, 12:03

Now? I preloaded two days ago. Old news.

Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
Aug 18, 2011, 08:28
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 08:28
Aug 18, 2011, 08:28

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 00:01:
Oh puh-lease! So why has Bioware turned into a giant pile of shit? And as for their partners program, yeah, whoa! They turn out real winners like Hellgate! Real quality stuff there. Rolleyes
And that says nothing of their own horrible sports shit lines.

Really? Okay, so their sports lines are some of the most popular games on the market (see Madden) and as far as I knew Bioware's games have been consistent top sellers. They may not be to your tastes but there's a reason why Mass Effect does so well and they stumbled on Dragon Age but over all they did fairly well. As for Hellgate, that lies with the developer not the publisher. And look at what the brain behind that has gone on to do, stuff for Cryptic which is at best bland. That falls on his shoulders not EA's. Unless you have some magic ball to stare in to the hearts of game companies it's all hearsay.

Aug 18, 2011, 08:25
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 08:25
Aug 18, 2011, 08:25

Nucas wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 00:04:
commonperson wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:19:
And at this point either way that's hearsay. I know it's easy to point fingers at the "Evil big company" but right now it's all he said she said. One of the other need to pony up proof, actual proof to validate their case.
why? are we owed some explanation?

this is an internal matter; but internal or not, the intent is obvious: EA wants to make more money. just like when publishers switched to smaller boxes or when digital distribution took hold, the motivation has nothing to do with customer satisfaction. don't delude yourself.

We aren't owed an explination that's exactly the point. People are going on about how EVIL EA is (because it's cool to hate them again it seems) and they line up for the "Valve are saints" koolaid at the drop of a hat. What I'm saying is people who are calling EA liars and evil don't know enough to make that call and if you look at their record over the last 10 years it's been one of steadily improving relationships with their developers and trying to service fans. I just get tired of the hyperbole train that gamers seem to like riding.

Aug 18, 2011, 08:23
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 08:23
Aug 18, 2011, 08:23

killer_roach wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 00:35:
While EA's credibility is questionable, the fact that almost nobody doubts Valve one iota around here scares the piss out of me.

It's like the equivalent of Steve Jobs fanboys in this thread.

Exactly, I mean people buy what he says hook line and sinker. Remember this isn't the first person to say this kind of thing about Valve. I think on the whole they are good for the market and I will continue to buy for them but for people to slavishly believe everything this guy says without questioning it especially since I'm sure they have a clause where they can't disclose the exact terms of the contract so EA are screwed. This is bad PR for EA, EA are a business and bad PR is never good. They would not be doing this without a reason and the fact they still sell these products on other services eliminates the "it's to prop up their own service" argument.

Aug 18, 2011, 08:19
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 08:19
Aug 18, 2011, 08:19

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 00:37:
It's exactly the same EA today as it was the EA of yesteryear. Turning around and destroying good companies overnight. The only thing that they've learnt, is that if they're going to do it. It's much better to wait a few years then destroy them.

Really? That doesn't even make sense. They gave Mythic free reign with Warhammer and they hung them selves. They let Dice do what ever they want to the point of supporting games that are criticaly praised while people don't buy them. That's just rubbish.

Aug 17, 2011, 23:42
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 17, 2011, 23:42
Aug 17, 2011, 23:42

Dades wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:29:
In the end I get my game, I can play it, and I'm happy. I don't give a damn where I get it through as long as I get a good product and there's no drop off in performance.

Ok but maybe other people do care where they get their games. If I really didn't give a shit I would buy $5 digital keys from some noname chinese website. I choose to care because I like to think that my purchases have an impact, I want my money to go to the place that gave me the best product and the most consideration. You can sit back and not give a shit, that's fine no one is asking you to do anything.

So, my question to you then is it EA who developed the game or Valve? Because Valve are the one who are getting the money when they are basically doing nothing other than offering a download portal. They're not generating the DLC, they're not developing the game in question (and their output is minimal at best lately.) They are basically a Video Game Wallmart. A cheery store with good prices and enough clout to push people around. I shoup there (I've got 147 games from them) and will continue to buy from them. Why? Because they give me good deals. If you really want to support a company bringing you good product you should buy directly from EA which I have done in the past.

At the end of the day services like Valve really serve little purpose to large scale publishers. They are an additonal revenue stream yes, and that's a big stream, but they don't need the infrastructure. It means more marketing but we don't have the overall sales at this point and EA and Valve are not going to share that.

Any how, go ahead, vote with your dollar. That's what I've been encouraging people to do all along but to say it's supporting the company that brings you quality and consideration well then you should be buying directly from the publisher or even teh developer in that case.

Aug 17, 2011, 23:37
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 17, 2011, 23:37
Aug 17, 2011, 23:37

CythrawL wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:29:
commonperson wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:19:
Bioware were succesful before but do you think they'd have as huge products and as much clout if EA hadn't backed them? They'd probably be like Silicone Knights (well with less suck.)

Same could also be said of the following companies (who were like Bioware, doing quite well before EA "Bought/Owned" them, and subsequently liquidated them.

Bullfrog productions.
Origin Systems.
Looking Glass Studios.
Maxis.
Westwood Studios....

Need I say any more????

Which is not the EA today, the EA that did that practically collapsed. They rebuilt the brand relationships with their "partners" and gave a great deal more freedom to them. Basically they learnt the lesson Activision is going to learn in four of five years. You buy up every company and then beat it to death you will loose market share. Their current relationship model is much more positive and gives a lot more flexibility to developers.

Aug 17, 2011, 23:26
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 17, 2011, 23:26
Aug 17, 2011, 23:26

Dades wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:21:

And at this point either way that's hearsay. I know it's easy to point fingers at the "Evil big company" but right now it's all he said she said. One of the other need to pony up proof, actual proof to validate their case.

No they don't because they are likely contractually obligated not to and it's not good business to air dirty laundry.

Which is why at this point it's all a giant shell game of who can put on the nicest PR show. Gabe is the PC market darling, all the gamers love him and he knows he can paint EA the villians and EA can't do much about it.

Frankly I'm of the mind ignore the two kids having a tantrum about who's the cooler kid, for all we know this could as much be an issue of Valve throwing a hissy over the improved Downloader that EA now offers (it's not like it's a new service it's just reskinned and rebranded it's been there for years) as much as it may be EA "trying to make a buck." Unless someone here is an "industry insider" or was eavesdropping on the conversation or stole the contracts none of us know what is really going on.

In the end I get my game, I can play it, and I'm happy. I don't give a damn where I get it through as long as I get a good product and there's no drop off in performance.

Aug 17, 2011, 23:19
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 17, 2011, 23:19
Aug 17, 2011, 23:19

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 22:58:
the cause appears (quotes or not) due to terms of service that EA doesn't like
<---- COMPLETE BULLSHIT. EA DOESN'T LIKE STEAM BECAUSE ITS A CASH COW AND ITS NOT THEIRS...

And let me ask you this, if I came to your place of business and told you you were not allowed to sell your product in your own store front because I own a store front that's much more popular what would you say? You'd flip me the bird and kick my backside out the door.

EA may be doing this out of "Greed" but they are a company. Don't like it don't buy their games. Simple as that, vote with your dollar. The reality is we (gamers) as a culture are about as true to our convictions as a liar at a liar's convention. We will say "I'm boycotting Activision" or "I'm boycotting EA" but when the new shiny comes out we buy it any how. We bitch and moan and complain but we cave like the compulsive consumers that we are. You may say "but I don't" and that's fine and good. I went on a whole year long Activision boycot where I only bought used product over some slight at one point but that fizzled. I'm as guilty as anyone.

The reality is these are businesses and they will position them selves as they see fit. We can hero worship Gabe all we like and he's done some good things for the industry but it's an industry. And remember EA have done a ton to try and help developers atain success. Bioware were succesful before but do you think they'd have as huge products and as much clout if EA hadn't backed them? They'd probably be like Silicone Knights (well with less suck.) They certainly wouldn't be as huge as they are now as much clout and resources as they have. The partners program also let developers have a lot of indipendant freedom they wouldn't have had otherwise. So EA have done some good things too, are you saying because they are helping publish games they shouldn't profit (and as a side the developers profit) from this?

I'm a pretty left of centre fellow, I'll be the first to admit it but even I find that a load of hogwash.

Aug 17, 2011, 22:52
Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 17, 2011, 22:52
Aug 17, 2011, 22:52

Overon wrote:
Just answer the question. Is what EA said about removing games from steam true or not? Why beat around the bush.

I see no one has answered this question. I'm all prepared to support Steam but so far the cause appears (quotes or not) due to terms of service that EA doesn't like. At the end of the day, they have the right to provide the service they want to (and they aren't stupid, Valve and Steam offer a huge market.)

That being said, why everyone is beholden to one service is beyond me. If I had to go to two different stores to buy two different products I would. I do it all the time, and honestly, given I don't even have to get up to do it here it's no skin off my nose.

What I would like at this point is if EA is telling the truth to show us the line item they are violating which is causing the removal of the items from the store. From there we can judge if Steam and Valve is being totalitarian or pulling an Apple (since so many people are Apple haters now) or if EA is full of crap.

Frankly I'd like answers and not fanboism and hero worship. At the end of the day these are two companies who are competing for our dollar and they have to do what is best for their business and if EA and it's share holders feel being off of Steam is good for business that's their choice.

Re: Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake
Mar 29, 2011, 07:43
Re: Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake Mar 29, 2011, 07:43
Mar 29, 2011, 07:43

I used to think PM was the greatest I remember playing Populous and Syndicate when they came out and them blowing me away but as time goes on and with successive disapointments and what seem like bald faced lies regarding his last several releases I just have less and less faith in him. If he really cared about Syndicate he'd have done something with it. He'd have tried to buy the rights back or something. It's starting to feel like he's just trying to attatch his name to something that's developing a lot of buzz because well frankly he seems to just like to keep his name in the news. I don't know him from Adam, he maybe a wonderful guy, but when it comes to his games after Fable III I'm not trusting him as far as I can throw him.

Re: Rogers Throttling WoW
Mar 27, 2011, 08:50
Re: Rogers Throttling WoW Mar 27, 2011, 08:50
Mar 27, 2011, 08:50

The most annoying thing is Rogers claimed it was "smart" throtteling. It claimed it was able to identify legitimate file sharing versus illegitimate. I guess that was another load of rubbish.

Re: Rogers Throttling WoW
Mar 27, 2011, 08:48
Re: Rogers Throttling WoW Mar 27, 2011, 08:48
Mar 27, 2011, 08:48

Actually Rogers support isn't THAT bad. Bell has the outsourced support. I used to work at Rogers god almost a decade ago but I know people still there. Their support is in house and generally actually pretty good. I use Bell now and I've been tempted on more than one occasion to dump my IPTV package simply because Bell's customer service is so attrocious. That being said Rogers are a bunch of money grubbers so they'd probably make you pay a service fee for the convenience of playing WoW.

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations
Nov 16, 2010, 09:39
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Explanations Nov 16, 2010, 09:39
Nov 16, 2010, 09:39

Having been on the beta (and the alpha) I can say this was the most broken piece of garbage from day 1 and the fact was the "community" was unable to communicate easily with the developers (the forums were broken) to the point where play days would be canceled and you wouldn't even know when the next log on time was (I missed an entire phase of testing because it wasn't communicated properly.)

Add to this some just plain bizzare design choices that hamper the enjoyment of the game it's simple a game that was doomed to fail. As an earlier commenter stated, after a 10 year run on FFXI you'd think they'd have a clue.

Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight
Sep 2, 2010, 10:00
Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Tonight Sep 2, 2010, 10:00
Sep 2, 2010, 10:00

I agree, I was in Alpha and Closed Beta and now I'm being expected to reapply which is lame. I've been in dozens of betas and I've never had to do this. I don't expect things, I don't expect perfection but I expect competence which doesn't seem to be possible at all with SE.

Re: Schafer versus Kotick, Round 2
Jul 15, 2010, 09:35
Re: Schafer versus Kotick, Round 2 Jul 15, 2010, 09:35
Jul 15, 2010, 09:35

What I found most humorous about this is that they are not arguing that he's a dick but loves video games. It's like they're saying "So yeah okay, he's a dick sure. But he really does love video games. When he got his mutli-million dollar seed loan from a man who owned a gambling empire, an empire built on the broken dreams and sorrows of the weak willed and poor, he was hard core in to Galaga. Like he'd drop five dollars in quarters every day... but yeah, he is a dick."
152 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older